Warhammer Fantasy RPG

I'm looking into running a Warhammer Fantasy RPG for my gaming group

They've played plenty of DND and Pathfinder

Which edition should I use?

GURPS

In all seriousness, 1e or 2e are fine, just avoid 3e at all costs.

use Gurps + GurpsHammer

2nd edition.
1st is fun but lorewise not up to date and too unbalanced, even for Warhammer.
3rd is shit all around. Forget 3rd.

Pic very related. Use 2e if you need more mechanics (not really better mechanics, just more).

1e or 2e.

Did FFG ever actually explain why they made 3e so weird with the cards and tokens and stuff and the booklet sized rulebooks?

To make them harder to pirate, for the most part. The cards don't come in PDF format and most potential pirates are too lazy to scan hundreds of them for no true reward. The books are nearly useless without the cards (the tokens and dice you can replace, but the cards have actual vital information on them), so there's a lot less incentive to download them illegally.

Because FFG specializes in making glitzy boardgames and relegates RPG-design to people who read game theory unironically?

Wasn't 3e pretty much a beta test for rules they ended up using in one of their Star Wars games?

Yes.

So they could sell more shit.

2e.

3rd is the best, but it's different and people hate that.

2nd works, 1st feels a bit unfinished to me.

Even without reading it, I'd bet GURPS Hammer is probably the next best choice.

I like 1st over 2nd. However its much more deadly going from pathfinder to Warhammer would be a big shock

I doubt they even were thinking about Star Wars when building 3e. They shaved down WFRP3 for Star Wars because it was a good, if rough system. Unfortunately they shed some of the good bits too, but people would rather flip through books than have it on a card in front of them I guess.

i bet they were thinking about building a house system though

Maybe, and they did. Nice to see people try something different. I'm looking forward to Genesys.

2e has the most material and resources, both official and fan made. Plus the incoming 4e is gonna be based on 2e so the transition will be easier if you play it enough to warrant buying the new edition when it comes out.

2E

2E IS GODLIKE

BE THE RATCATCHER FIGHTING FOR THE KINGDOM

What about Zweihander? It's budget whfrpg2ed

2e is best; but you can't go far wrong with 1st. Because 1st is an older game you might fins 2nd an easier read simply in terms of layout.

I'm sure you'll have a great time with it all the same.

1st is the best.

It's great because everything sucks, the players are weak ass shits, and combat is a miss fest, but when you hit, shit dies.

As long as the players realize they don't start as 'heroes' and are ok with that, it's great.

I'm not getting the draw of incompetent PCs. I could maybe get into it if that was the plot and you improve over time, but the lethality means you're unlikely to ever get the chance to be good.

I feel like I'm stumbling through adventures with a character that is only kinda my own and could lose any instant. Any success is more a matter of luck than any planning or role playing.

It's good for a chuckle, but I couldn't pick it as a top-10 RPG rules-wise, in spite of the setting being top-5

It's not a "matter of luck", but of carefull planing. You have the famous Destiny Points (don't know if that was the English name) that give you airbag from sudden death for about three times for a character and are futher gained for great heroic acts that usually finish the campaign.

Carefull planing is able to get you through the mega campaign consisting of whole The Enemy Within, Lichemaster, The Restless Dead and dozens of unaligned scenarios.

It's just that when you get to that 4th-proffesion mage you really mean buisness and worked for it. Low level AD&D, especially Dark Sun, is FAR more lethal.

Not to mention 3rd game of the time- CoC.

WH is a story of ratcatcher, drunk and woodsman becoming powerfull Witch Hunter, chosen Cleric of a powerfull diety and a mutant burned at the stake because green and shiny REALLY meant trouble. They just need to save heroic charges for sensible odds... or be very lucky all the time.

This this this.

It proves that godlike stats and abilities aren't what make the hero. Cleverness and good fortune do.

You do improve over time.

>the lethality means you're unlikely to ever get the chance to be good

So play really carefully. Being an adventurer is a dangerous job.

I'm guessing you don't know the rules to first? (I'm a little rusty too. So without the rulebook to hand)
Unlike DND the PCs don't exist in a vacume standing there hitting each other till one fulls over
Outnumbering , changing, winning the last round all effect the combat
If your side has more people you get +5 for each member . If you and your buds dealt more damage then you get another +15 . Charging I think is +20. There is also facing rules too.
So three dudes whacking on a bear could take it down.
Though I do think a bear can 2-hit kill a normal PC.

How much "careful planning" is metagaming though? When you're a Scribe or Beggar, how clever can you be fighting things? It's something outside your experience entirely really.

Having to rely on 30ish skill % just seems brutal and unfun to me.

Maybe part of it is that it feels so daunting that I'm more inclined to find a more normal job than adventure?

I should read up on the destiny point things some more. I honestly don't recall what they do.

Warhammer Fantasy 2nd Edition.

It is the best Warhammer Fantasy edition. The core book is available for 20 bucks as a pdf from drivethrurpg. DnD players will need a bit of time to get their heads around the Career system and that magic doesn't completely supplant doing things the mundane way. 5e players will need more time to figure out the more complex damage system.

It is also a gritty, grimdark, world. If you have already decided to run it I am guessing your players are okay with that, but just saying.

First - it's bloody fantastic.

Pick your battles. I've heard of groups of PCs who readily beat whatever the GM throws at them due to fast talking, sneaking, intimidation, utilizing choke points, setting up ambushes, and regular old ganging up on dudes. It's a game that requires players to put more thought into encounters than "when do we charge in?" to make it out unharmed.

Of course this requires a GM who isn't so stupid and inflexible as to set every combat encounter in empty fields and make it so there are nonviolent solutions to the PC's problems but if that's your biggest issue then you've got more to worry about than the flaws of a system.

>ast talking, sneaking, intimidation,
But these are all things with a very small chance of success.

I don't mind combat being scary and something to avoid. It's just when my abilities to avoid combat are all based around such poor chances of success, it seems unavoidable.

1st and 2nd edition require the player to stack modifiers.

Turns out the players outnumber the gm.
My players regularly give me the runaround, just by anticipating potential problems and always making sure they enter any situation with the odds firmly on their side.

Can you give me examples off the top of your head? I can't look at the book at the moment.

They're jews is why, and they were probably already planning Nickel & Dime Wars.

2nd.

Fixes a lot of 1st's niggling problems, lots of official content, metric fuckloads of fan stuff.

Let's look at an example right now.

Dingus and Pingas are fighting. Cocksleeve wants to help Pingas, but is several yards away and only has 35% WS and 1 attack...not very impressive. On their turn, Cocksleeve checks the actions and notices 'Charge.' Charge lets them cross the distance and perform a single attack. Cocksleeve chooses to do so, increasing their WS to 45%...but wait, Dingus is now outnumbered, and a 2-to-1 fight confers an additional 10% bonus, so now Cocksleeve is rolling against 55% instead.

My favorite way to deal with cocky players is to put them against a bunch of skaven dregs. They have a truly pathetic 25% WS, but when you're outnumbered 3-to-1 and they're all using All Out Attack every turn in rage/fear, they're suddenly rolling against 65%, and no one is laughing any more.

3e at least had some ok art, only good thing about it.

Moves that newcomers to WFRP often forget:

>Fight like a desperate man because you are
>Throw your weapon
>Carry several spare weapons
>Knock tricky foes over and pin them to the ground
>Always try to have a shield
>Do whatever you can to have a parry save ready. Don't be tempted by great weapons right away; gotta have that free parry.
>Hide your numbers
>Shoot with your ranged weapon then drop it and draw steel at the first hint of the enemy closing in - none of that 'but i'm a ranged character' shit here.
>Gang up with your friends to push enemies around, leverage your advantages, knock foes down and off ledges.
>Don't be afraid to risk grabbing hold of the enemy. Nothing encumbers a swordsman like a raving halfwit clasped around his waist.
>Spend your money on armour, weapons, and high living in that order. Don't be afraid to buy cheap junk if that's all there is; it'll save your life.
>If you get hurt bad enough, have your man take the month off. Don't go anywhere or risk anything on low wounds.
>If you suffer a nasty permanent injury, good. Now your character has character!
>Falling into ruin and becoming a beggar is a better fate than death. Embrace it!

Don't be a faggot, play 2ND edition. Go on warhammer fantasy general, grab the links and download all manuals NOW.

Also, dnd and pathfinder are for kids, wfrp is for men

This is legitimately good advice.