Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone

>Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
>Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
>One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
>In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
>One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
>One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
>In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

But wait?

Didn't the elves make ALL the rings just for themselves?

Why does the elvish prophecy state ownership of rings to dwarves and men?

MORE IMPORTANTLY: Why doesn't it state any ownership that the hobbits would hold, being that the most important?

Why do you think it's somehow a prophecy?

>I am an idiot
>the post

Why I get the feeling you're trying to start a new tax policy/eagles style meme?

Because Veeky Forums is /pol/ now.

No.

Because this wasn't prophecy it was descriptive poetry of history.

Now for the real question inquiring minds want to know: did Feanor do anything wrong?

Everything. He even wiped his ass with his tie and drunk soup through the nose.

Try reading the books..

The hobbits where not important.
That's the whole point. The unimportant person can save the world
>written by a ww1 veteran

Not even poetry or history, but a statement of intent. "One Ring to rule them all, One ring to find them; One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them." is what is written on the ring, but requires the rest of the text to be understandable, so you can safely give authorship of it to Sauron.
Let's note that, while the unwritten part was accurate and repartition went as planned, what is written went completely wrong (or, at best, "worked from a certain point of view" if you say that men, elves and dwarves were bound together in the Shadow of Mordor in opposition to the Ring and Sauron ; but even then, no bearer of the Ring managed to locate more than one elven ring and none of the dwarven ones. Worked like a charm for the human ones, thought).

Didn't Sauron have a few of the Dwarven ones and offered them back as gifts?

I think you're forgetting that the One Ring was literally designed to mind-control other Ring Bearers. It didn't work on the Elves because they took their rings off when the One Ring was forged and didn't put them on again till Sauron was technically dead, and it didn't work on the Dwarves because... fuck it, I dunno Dwarves weren't made by Iluvater I guess?

I thought the elves ones were made outside of Sauron direct influence or something.

Yeah, Sauron didn't have a hand in the Three Rings used by the Elf Lords; that was all Celebrimbor. But the One Ring was made to work on all Rings of Power, probably because Sauron taught Celebrimbor how to make Rings of Power in the first place and just had the One Ring work on some backdoor unknowingly built into all of them

Essentially yes. Aule designed the Dwarves to be resistant to Morgoth style corruption. And while Sauron was unable to mentally control the Dwarves with the Rings the way that he did with the 9 guys who eventually became Nazgul, it did exacerbate their negative qualities and helped them build the hordes that Dragons would eventually come to plunder.

So it did work, just not fully as designed.

The Dwarves were resistant to magic in general. So while they couldn't be mind controlled, it did increase their greed exponentially and essentially drove them insane.

/thread

Post the poem in your language. I'll start:

Kolme sormusta haltiakuninkaille alla auringon,
seitsemän kääpiöruhtinaille kivisaleissaan,
yhdeksän ihmisille, jotka vie tuoni armoton,
yksi Mustalle Ruhtinaalle valtaistuimellaan,
maassa Mordorin joka varjojen saartama on.
Yksi sormus löytää heidät, se yksi heitä hallitsee,
se yksi heidät yöhön syöksee ja pimeyteen kahlitsee
maassa Mordorin joka varjojen saartama on.

>tfw eru is such a fag that his gift for his most beloved creation is death
wew

He done many thigns wrong, BUT the oath and saying fuck you to the valar was not one.
Fucking faggots, just remained idle in their thrones when morgoth murdered the king and stole the silmarils.

>but don't worry guys! Instead of spending eternity on the perfect paradise created by the valar like the perfect immortal elves, you get to spend it with me after your blink of an eye existence comes to an end!

An egotistical fag.

>Everything is /pol/
>T. Fag from leddit who's also shiting up /pol/
When I'll summer end anons, when will it end

LoTR is pretty /pol/
>'Men of the West' take a final stand against (((sauron))) who seduced men with the promise of power
>have to defeat armies of arabs and sub-human orcs that talk in 'black speech'
>Theodin needs to be woken from Sarumans curse which makes him blind to the Urukai attacks

Fuck off both of you.

I found it hilarious. Just laugh at it, it's shitposting, you get mad they win
>inb4 trudeau memes

Quick questions.

If the Nazgul were kings of men what Kingdoms did they rule? I assume Harad and the Easterlings are two of them?

Did all these Kings subjects join their Kings in following Sauron?

Is one of these Kings an ancestor of Aragon or Theoden?

Do they still rule their Kingdoms as vassals of Sauron?

Tolkein hated allegory, and any allegories you see are your own projections.

I always had the (false?) impression that middle Earth was strangely empty in term of population, towns or even villages.

Though to answer your question, they were human kingdoms in the North where some Nagul (most notably the Witch-king, from Arnor).

>Catalog
There has been plague or something at one point of history.

plague is called morgoth.

Damn these were some spicy memes

>If the Nazgul were kings of men what Kingdoms did they rule? I assume Harad and the Easterlings are two of them?
There's no real reason to assume Harad or "The East" are unified political entities and not just geographic regions. It's like saying that someone is "King of Africa" or "Emperor of Asia".

>Is one of these Kings an ancestor of Aragon or Theoden?
Almost certainly not.

>Do they still rule their Kingdoms as vassals of Sauron?
Definitely not. They spend most of their time in Mordor proper, either performing or standing ready to do missions on behalf of Sauron.

>Why does the elvish prophecy state ownership of rings to dwarves and men?
Apart from the correct answer already given the thing about prophecy is that it foretells what will happen, which your other question already acknowledges.

> पत्थर के अपने हॉल में बौने के लिए सात,
> नश्वर पुरुषों के लिए नौ मरने के लिए बर्बाद,
> अंधेरे प्रभु के लिए उसके गहरे सिंहासन पर
> मेर्डर की भूमि में जहां छाया झूठ बोलते हैं।
> उन सबको शासन करने के लिए एक अंगूठी, उन्हें खोजने के लिए एक अंगूठी,
> उन सभी को लाने के लिए एक अंगूठी और अंधेरे में उन्हें बाँध लें
> मेर्डर की भूमि में जहां छाया झूठ बोलते हैं

Holy shit it looks good

Nobody knows epics like the Hindus.

Trois Anneaux pour les rois elfes sous le ciel,
Sept pour les seigneurs nains dans leurs demeures de pierre,
Neuf pour les hommes mortels destinés au trépas,
Un pour le Seigneur des Ténèbres sur son sombre trône,
Au pays de Mordor où s'étendent les ombres
Un Anneau pour les gouverner tous
Un Anneau pour les trouver
Un Anneau pour les amener tous,
Et dans les ténèbres les lier
Au pays de Mordor où s'étendent les ombres.

>Drei Ringe den Elbenkönigen hoch im Licht,
Sieben den Zwergenherrschern in ihren Hallen aus Stein,
>Den Sterblichen, ewig dem Tode verfallen, neun,
>Einer dem dunklen Herrn auf dunklem Thron
Im Lande Mordor, wo die Schatten drohn.
>Einen Ring, sie zu knechten, sie alle zu finden,
>Ins Dunkel zu treiben und ewig zu binden

Trzy Pierścienie dla królów elfów pod otwartym niebem,
Siedem dla władców krasnali w ich kamiennych pałacach,
Dziewięć dla śmiertelników, ludzi śmierci podległych,
Jeden dla Władcy Ciemności na czarnym tronie
W Krainie Mordor, gdzie zaległy cienie,
Jeden, by wszystkimi rządzić, Jeden, by wszystkie odnaleźć,
Jeden, by wszystkie zgromadzić i w ciemności związać
W Krainie Mordor, gdzie zaległy cienie.

Well their religion pretty much invented the expression "over the top" so you're right I guess

Tpи кoльцa - для цapcтвeнных эльфoв в нeбecных шaтpaх,
Ceмь - для влacтитeлeй гнoмoв, гpaнильщикoв в кaмeннoм лoнe,
Дeвять - для Дeвятepых, oблeчeнных в мoгильный пpaх,
Oднo нaдeнeт Bлaдыкa нa чepнoм тpoнe
B cтpaнe пo имeни Mopдop, гдe pacпpocтepcя мpaк.
Oднo Кoльцo пoкopит их, oднo coбepeт их,
Oднo их пpитянeт и в чepнyю цeпь cкyeт их
B cтpaнe пo имeни Mopдop, гдe pacпpocтepcя мpaк.

That's an interesting theory. But how would Sauron's little bit of poetry make its way into the wider world of Middle-Earth?

I don't think it requires the rest of the rhyme to be understandable. It's the Ring to rule them all, regardless of who has the others. Which means the rest could have been written later, after the fates of the rings had already become known. An article I've read places the date of composition roughly around the founding of the Last Alliance, but considering it incorporates the inscription on the ring, I'd say it must have been after Isildur took it.

Tres Anillospara los ReyesElfosbajo el cielo.
Siete para los SeñoresEnanosen palacios de piedra.
Nueve para losHombresMortales condenados a morir.
Uno para el Señor Oscuro, sobre eltrono oscuro
en la Tierra deMordordonde se extienden las Sombras.
Un Anillo para gobernarlos a todos. Un Anillo para encontrarlos,
un Anillo para atraerlos a todos y atarlos en las tinieblas
en la Tierra de Mordor donde se extienden las Sombras.

You're forgetting the greatest gift of all. Not having to live forever alongside fucking elves.

Fine, but there should be some ACTUAL plague LOREFAGS HELpME I AM BULLIED REEEEEE

the nazgul have actual minds and serve willingly sauron or they are mere puppets with no mind of their own?

The king of Angmar might have been implied to be either Numenorean or western Middle-man, and one of the Nine is Khamul the Easterling. All of the Nazgul are probably pre-numenorean colonization Middle-men, seeing as that was when their rings were distributed.

he had 3 and offered them to Dale, and 4 were eaten by dragons or dropped down a hole in moria or something.

He had all of the dwarven ones

That's where Thorin's father ended up, tortured for his ring in Dol Guldur

Yes, the Elves made their rings with their own hands and designed but the Rings of Men and Rings of Dwarves were partially made and designed by Sauron so they would eventually corrupt their wearers.

It is pretty /pol/ to be certain, but you have to remember, Tolkien was a product of his time, and like said, any allegory you see is unintentional.

I cannot, fucking, wait. These shits don't know to keep /pol/ in /pol/ and it's really starting to piss me off.

SLOW DOWN AND I SAIL ON THE RIVER
SLOW DOWN AND I WALK TO THE HILL

THERE ARE SIGNS ON THE RING
WHICH MAKES ME FEEL SO DOWN

There's one to enslave all rings
To find them all in time

>this faggot thinks the physical world is the highest possible plane of existence.

Material existentialism sucks, get woke.

Drie Ringen voor de elfenkoningen op aard',
Zeven voor de dwergvorsten in hun zalen schoon,
Negen voor de mensen, die de dood niet spaart,
Eén voor de Zwarte Heerser op zijn zwarte troon
In Mordor, waar de schimmen zijn.
Eén Ring om allen te regeren, Eén Ring om hen te vinden,
Eén Ring die hen brengen zal en in duisternis binden,
In Mordor, waar de schimmen zijn.

Only liberal hippies seek a higher plane of existence after taking like 7 grams of shrooms.

>Bishie Sauron gets bishie Nazghul

I fucking love this faggot artist so much but have no idea what their name is, but that has to be from the bishie Sauron and Melkor person.

Why does Melkor have tits?

That's Beren and Luthien and I'm not even sure from the same artist. It is just LotR cute shit hwich makes me immediately suspect them.

This is their Melkor being cute during that whole period after his first captivity but before he fucked everything up forever and ever amen.

Middle Earth wasn't like Valinor, the land of immortal beings. It was corrupted by Morgoth and over time everything there would decay, in a way. After thousands of years human and hobbit populations dwindled and elves started leaving for Vainor en masse after realizing that staying in Middle Earth too long made them start to fade away. That's when LOTR takes place. It actually is fairly empty.

It is still corrupted, parts of Morgoth's evil are inside everyone and everything in Arda.
Which is probably why the dagor daggorath was retconned, as it would have made as much sense for a man to kill Morgoth as the ring itself to slay Sauron.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that three of the nine were of Numenorean descent

Tre Anelli ai re degli Elfi sotto il cielo che risplende,
Sette ai Principi dei Nani nelle loro rocche di pietra
Nove agli Uomini Mortali che la triste morte attende,
Uno per l'Oscuro Sire chiuso nella reggia tetra
Nella Terra di Mordor, dove l'Ombra nera scende.
Un Anello per domarli, Un anello per trovarli,
Un Anello per ghermirli e nel buio incatenarli,
Nella Terra di Mordor, dove l'Ombra cupa scende.

“Drei Ringe den Elbenkönigen hoch im Licht,
Sieben den Zwergenherrschern in ihren Hallen aus Stein,
Den Sterblichen, ewig dem Tode verfallen, neun,
Einer dem Dunklen Herrn auf dunklem Thron
Ein Ring, sie zu knechten, sie alle zu finden,
Ins Dunkel zu treiben und ewig zu binden
Im Lande Mordor, wo die Schatten drohn”

Yeah, one of them is Talion from Shadow of Mordor :^)

But he was explicitly not numenorean, did you even listen to his talking with the wraith

Don't know, I got bored after killing 2 or 3 orc chieftains
I just heard my friend talking about it a bit

Kolm Sõrmust haldjahõimul sinitaeva all,
Seitse päkapikkudel maa külmis kivikambreis,
Üheksale ülemaks on sureliku vald,
Üks kuulub Isandale, kelle võim on kangeim
Maal, mil nimeks Mordor, musta Varju all.
Üks Sõrmus juhib neid, Üks leiab üles,
Üks Sõrmus toob nad kokku pimeduse süles
Maal, mil nimeks Mordor, musta Varju all.

There's at least 2 numenorean but not from earendil descendants. The bloodline of aragorn cannot be corrupted as it's stated by Tolkien in RotK

Not ancestors of theoden because the realm of Rohan was funded after the fall of sauron at the end of second age by eorl, and before were nomad barbarians without a kingdom.

Stop asking stupid and obvious questions, you can understand all this shit after just watching the fucking movies, you illiterate ape

Trí fháinne do ríthe na síogaithe thuas sa spéir,
seacht gcinn do tiarnaí na n-abhac ina gcuid hallaí cloiche,
naoi gcinn do dhaoine básmhaire atá faoi cháineadh an éag.
Fáinne amháin don tiarna dubh ar a ríchathaoir dhubh
i dtír Mordor a bhfagraíonn na scáileanna.
Fáinne amháin len iad a rialú,
fáinne amháin len iad a fháil,
fáinne amháin len iad a thabhairt,
fáinne amháin len iad a cheangal sa dorchadas
i dtír Mordor a bhfagraíonn na scáileanna.

Technically not my language because I'm from Northern Ireland but shh let me pretend my country has more going for it than crazy bomb-lobbing Christians

Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

Artist is Phobs / melkorwashere.

Humans were the only ones who didn't fade from Middle-Earth because they were Eru's special project. (Also because the original idea was to have Middle-Earth be the ancient history of the real world, but that idea kind of got sidelined as Tolkien continued working on it.)

Shre nazg golugranu kilmi-nudu,
Ombi kuzd-durbagu gundum-ishi,
Nugu gurunkilu bard gurutu,
Ash burz-durbagu burzum-ishi,
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu.
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Daghburz-ishi makha gulshu darulu.

>Christianity is liberal hippies
Son, you just went full retard

Thanks user. Now I can properly sort my folder. And go find their tumblr or whatever and scoop the rest of their art.

>Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
>doomed to die
>doomed
>to die
Lmao stupid Elves, death was literally a gift Iluvatar made to Man after he made the Elves doomed to live forever.

Tolkien used doom as fated, which is accurate to its older usage.

The problem with Elves is that they're so stuck up they can't see past their nose.

Yes, Feanor, like many Elves, was a huge, insufferable faggot.

Kids have phones with internet today. They're going to destroy Veeky Forums even in the middle of a class

Kek, it really seems like Elven language.
Nah, it's the usual stupid Elf who thinks he's better than everyone else.

>Lmao stupid Elves, death was literally a gift Iluvatar made to Man
I mean, yeah?

The elves tried to remind man of that, but many of them rejected those teachings becoming the Black Numenoreans. It's not like other fantasy settings like warhammer where elves often think they're better because of their immortality or long lives.

Tri Prstena za prste Kraljeva vilin-vrste pod nebesima što sjaju,
Sedam za vladare Patuljaka u dvoru njihovom kamnom,
Devet za Smrtne Ljude koje smrt čeka na kraju,
Jedan za Mračnog Gospodara na njegovom prijestolu tamnom
U Zemlji Mordor gdje Sjenke traju.
Jedan Prsten da svima gospodari, jedan za svima seže,
Jedan Prsten da sve okupi i u tami ih sveže.

>It's not like other fantasy settings like warhammer where elves often think they're better because of their immortality or long lives.

Did we read the same Silmarillion?
Now, I've read it long ago so I could be wrong but I think I remember how Elves looked down on Men.

Not him, but I think you're conflating two concepts. Elves did often look down on men (but not all of them, for example Finrod.), but not because they were short lived. Their disdain for Men usually was rooted in the similarities of Mannish thought to how Morgoth operated, which really has nothing to do with lifespan. I mean hell, Elves also look down on Orcs, who seem to be immortal, if not killed.

You mean the elves that welcomed humans with open arms, lived and fought happily side by side? Elves that had characters like Beleg Cuthalion? You can get an elf that dislikes humans, like Luthiens father, but this guy changed his mind as well.

I think Elves who didn't look down on Men were a rarity, it's obvious you're gonna read about many in the story.
From what I remember Elves didn't see death as a positive thing.
Read above.

Três Anéis para os Reis-Elfos sob este céu,
Sete para os Senhores-Anões em seus rochosos corredores,
Nove para os Homens Mortais fadados ao eterno sono,
Um para o Senhor do Escuro em seu escuro trono
Na Terra de Mordor onde as Sombras se deitam.

Um Anel para a todos governar, Um Anel para encontrá-los,
Um Anel para a todos trazer e na escuridão aprisioná-los

Na Terra de Mordor onde as Sombras se deitam.

huehueheuheuheuheuheuheuheuheuheue

>I think Elves who didn't look down on Men were a rarity, it's obvious you're gonna read about many in the story.
Nah, it's somewhat 50-50ish. The Feanorian brood and the Sindarin tended to be a bit more dismissive, whereas the Fingolfin and his followers tended to be more accepting. Even so, both groups had their exceptions.

>From what I remember Elves didn't see death as a positive thing.
This, however, is just wrong. Remember, Elves don't die the way men do. I'm not even talking about the agelessness, when Elves die, their souls stay in Arda, and come under the control of Mandos the Valar. It's even possible for them to reincarnate.

Men die and their souls leave the world. It's a fundamentally different experience, and the Elven reaction to it is mostly awed non-comprehension.

Well, read my post again. Elves welcomed humans with open arms and allowed them to settle in their territory. Do you have any proof of them looking on them down? Because I don't remember any mention of this.

I'm running a LotR campaign and I have asshole elves interpret this as meaning men don't have real souls, making them little more than talking apes.