What the fuck are you supposed to do in YGO when an opponent plays a monster that's just bigger than yours...

What the fuck are you supposed to do in YGO when an opponent plays a monster that's just bigger than yours? You can't attack it with multiple smaller monsters because the damage isn't cumulative. And you can't attack through it either.

This game seems broken. Not the crazy combos, but the game's fundamental logic at its most basic level seems broken. Playing a bigger monster is autowin, barring card effects.

Other urls found in this thread:

yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_Bandai's_Official_Card_Game
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is this bait?

You use spell and trap cards to either destroy the monster or get a bigger monster.

That is retarded design. Why isn't there a built-in way to kill one large monster with multiple smaller monsters?

Because that'd be fucking stupid nigga.

Enjoy playing those creatures of yours while the countdown ticks up, you dumb fuck

>I miss the early 2000s...

>Playing a bigger monster is autowin, barring card effects.
...whoah...

You play Raigeki, like you would have since the game started.

Its almost like you need a strategic combination of effects and power or something.
>implying you dont play the monsters/creatures that are the strongest AND also have good effects/abilities

The most effective monster cards in the game barely have 1000 Atk/Def simply because they can combo into each other.

It's okay to be bad at the game, but don't sit here and pretend that you know what you're talking about.

You kill it.

>complaining about yugioh balance
the game is fundamentally broken. early yugioh was basically topdeck simulator, and the power creep hit hard
there's too much to complain about this game's fundamental game design

>complains about a lack of cumulative damage
>is fine with wasting half the deck on lands

15 Squirrels

An even bigger issue with YGO is that the literal god of destruction has less attack than a fucking airplane, etc.

>yugioh decks are 40 cards
>mtg decks are 60 cards with most decks running around 20 lands
>implying having land cards (mana and utility lands) and mulligans doesn't add a level of depth and complexity to the game

try harder pleb

its a game based on a cartoon that has an ever changing banlist and the worst power creep out of any tcg ever. what did you expect?

>Doing this thing is autowin, barring every other part of the game

Hey, already this is a shitty bait thread anyway I am gonna take advantage of it. I haven't played YGO since, like, before the GX anime cards got introduced in the game, and even then I wasn't very into the meta. I heard that now is a good time to jump back into the game due to the rules being reworked with the introduction of Link Summons, and I wanted some help on what to do.
My first thought was of buying pic related, possibly with some boosters, how badly am I going to get raped?
Also, can someone tell me how the atual meta is?

can somebody explain how all these new summoning methods work, last things I remember were fusion and ritual, now we have synchro, XYZ, Pendulum and now Link summons, what does it all mean

I am the poster right above you, so I haven't played the game on long ass time, but I looked at the fan Wiki and basically what I got was:
>Synchro
You have to tribute 2 or more monsters whose the sum of their levels equal the level of the Synchro monster you're summoning. Also one of the monsters tributed has to be of a special type called tuner.
>XYZ
You have to tribute monsters whose level is the same of the rank of the XYZ monster you're summoning, the tributed monsters (called XYZ material) go under the XYZ monster card and some XYZ monsters can detach them to activate certain effects.
>Pendulum
Basically you have these two zones at the sides of your field, if you put a Pendulum monster there it activates it's Pendulum effect but loses it's monster effect (if it has any). If you have Pendulum monsters in both sides of your field you can Pendulum Summon monsters that are between the Pendulum Scale in the cards (those numbers next to the little red and blue diamonds). Also I think that after they get destroyed they get sent to the Extra Deck or some shit like this.
>Links
Link monsters are summoned by paying the tribute in their card description, the catch is that Link monsters are put in the Extra Monster Zone of the field, just like any other monster of the Extra Deck (Fusion, Synchro, XYZ) and you only have 1 Extra Monster Zone, BUT Link monsters also have arrows in their cards pointing at one of eight directions (the higher the monster Link the more arrows it has) and you (or your opponent!) can summon monsters of the Extra Deck to any Monster Zone that the Link Monster arrowheads point to. Also some Link Monsters gain effects from having monsters linked (put into one of the Monster Zones their arrows point to) to them.
Bear in mind that I haven't played into a long while and all this information is second hand gotten from dubious sources, so take it with a grain of salt.
Especially Pendulum Summon. Damn, was that shit complicated.

the yuyu hakusho tcg had worse power creep. case in point they killed it in like 2 sets.

Yu-Gi-Oh was only ever in a barely playable state. It was only ever a cash in on the show that somehow managed to hold on this long.

>mfw only give a shit about YGO rules for how exciting they can make the anime duels

But the best duels are the ones in which the rules just get screwed and they do whatever they want!

Maybe because, and heaven forbid this be true, there's an actually good game under there?

>. early yugioh was basically topdeck simulator
what is a topdeck simulator?

>Bunch of anons who havent played the game relentlessly shitting on it for reasons they only half understand
Yup, sure is your average Veeky Forums yugioh thread in here.

Fuck off faggot.

Stay in the Veeky Forums containment threads.

You will always get the same response here.

>Why isn't there a built-in way to kill one large monster with multiple smaller monsters?

Synchro/xyz summoning

YGO is for timmys who can't into the stack

>~t. Johnny

This was just great because how much dumb nonsense it was

>Playing a bigger monster is autowin, barring card effects.
>barring card effects>
>card effects.

HMMM I WONDER HOW PEOPLE MIGHT GET AROUND THE MONSTER IN THIS CARD GAME.

>Synchro
You take a tuner monster and a non-tuner monster, and you add their levels together, send both to the graveyard and synchro summon a synchro monster that the exact same level as the two combined

>XYZ
You take X monsters of the same level, and stack an XYZ monster on top of them. For example, Utopia needs 2 level 4 monsters. So you overlay Utopia ontop of 2 level monsters (So 3 cards in a single stack).

>Pendulum
You set the scales by placing pendulum monsters in the pendulum zones on either side of the s/t field. If you have two monsters in pendulum zones, you can special summon monsters from your hand and/or a pendulum monster from your extra deck as long as their levels fall in between the range established by the scales. So if one card has scale 1, and the other has scale 10, you can special summon monsters with level between 2 and 9.

>Link
You just send materials up to the number of pointers to special summon a link monster. It modifies main monster zones, so you're able to special summon shit from the extra deck.

>My first thought was of buying pic related, possibly with some boosters, how badly am I going to get raped?

I would avoid it if you want to compete - Konami prints a whole bunch of off-meta decks trying to find what sticks and the Tier C and Tier B decks are usually dirt cheap second hand.

You can buy a Predaplant deck for like 30 bucks, Batteryman and Ancient Gears also come to mind as being pretty cheap.

I would avoid the 'old school' Archtypes though, since Konami deliberately bumps up the card rarity to prey on nostalgia. A Toon World deck costs nearly eighty bucks to make despite being completely unplayable in today's meta,

Don't mind me, just invalidating 90 percent of all boss monsters and ensuring that decks that focus on summoning a few giant monsters over spam are never viable on any level.

>What the fuck are you supposed to do in YGO when an opponent plays a monster that's just bigger than yours?
Play a better game instead.

OP is right. Look at this card. It has 600 attack. As a player I only have 8k life points, it will only take like a dozen turns to kill me. Am I supposed to play something that has more attack to win? This game is broken.

And don't try to be an apologist, saying that I should have spells and traps in my deck. Only pussies do that.

Fucking broken game.

*Original* Yugioh was supposed to be played like a literal card game like poker, the monsters 'attack' and 'defense' being comparable to a cards suit.
The idea was that you and your opponent had a deck of some bad cards, some mediocre cards, some great cards and some tribute monsters.

The bad monsters were to fill out your deck space, making summoning powerful monsters like Gemini Elf and Summoned Skull more exciting.
Later on Yugioh became a lot closer to MTG.

We always called those 'Bavarian Rules' for whatever reason when we were younger.
I'm not entirely sure why.

>make a game
>break your game

So this is the power... of Yugioh

Nigger why have non-effect cards in the first place if you're gonna invalidate them.

Anglo parents? Or Prussian?

Neither.
It's just a funny word that's also a placename

literally just play an ojama or gradius deck. wins every time

Source ?

made up...

You don't tribute to summon gemini elf

I know this is a shitpost thread but does anyone have those Primo Trial of Hell cards that were reprinted to Trial of Nightmare?

Pic unrelated

Hello, I'm a Kaiju card. We're an entire archetype build around countering people who just play one big super monster. We can be played to the opponent's side of the field by tributing one of their monsters. This notably gets around stuff like "This monster cannot be destroyed" or "This monster is immune to effects" and stuff like that.

>Why isn't there a built-in way to kill one large monster with multiple smaller monsters?
Why should there be? There are plenty of issues with the game but this is just a different design decision which creates a different style of play, as far as I'm concerned.

He's referencing the first version of the gfame produced by Bandai

yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Yu-Gi-Oh!_Bandai's_Official_Card_Game

See also: Lava Golem

Because you're expected to put answers to problem cards in your deck, like in any TCG.

I recognize this kaiju.

The game was young and has grown much since then. MtG did the same thing. Heck, they still print vanilla creatures.

Ah, utopia, ender of games, truly a card of kings

Fuck you, Yuma!

Oh the whole line is fantastic. There's Not-Gamera, Not-Godzilla, Not-King Ghidorah, Not-Mothra, Not-Kumongous, Not-Mechagodzilla, and Not-Mecha-King Ghidorah.

>What the fuck are you supposed to do in YGO when an opponent plays a monster that's just bigger than yours?
Play man-eater bug face-down.

Also I think there's a trap or spell card that lets you sacrifice two monsters to kill one of the opponent's monsters.

I don't know, user, I still can't bring myself to trust that I actually know the rules.

Ritual: Requires a specific spell and monster

Fusion: Requires a fusion spell and listed monsters.

Synchro: Requires "Tuner" type monsters (A specific type, like how Gemini, Toon, spirit and Union monsters are their own type) and non tuners. Sometimes the tuners/nontuners have to be of a specific type like machine. The sum of the levels of the monsters has to be equal to the synchro

XYZ: Requires monsters of equal rank to the XYZ, the monsters are placed under the card instead of being destroyed, becoming "Materials". XYZ monsters have effects that let them discard a material to do something cool.

Pendulum: They're more a sub-type of card. They're a monster (Can be any of the above types, a normal or effect monster) but they can also be played as a spell in either your left or right spell zone, having their own effects when played this way.

When a pendulum monster is destroyed it's sent to the extra deck instead of the graveyard.
Additionally, pendulum monsters have "Scales" on them corresponding to a level. When you have two pendulum monsters in your left and right spell zones then you can special summon monsters whose levels are inbetween the scales. Pendulum monsters in the extra deck can only be resummoned this way.

Link:
Requires a number of monsters, often with a specific restriction, such as them being effect monsters of a specific level.

Link monsters have arrows pointing to other zones, which are called "link points" their effects target link points.

ADDITIONALLY: Now you can only summon monsters from your extra deck to a link zone or an extra monster zone, there are two of these zones in the center of the playing field, that are "Shared" by both players, however you can only use one one of them.

If a monster is brought from the graveyard it can go in a monster zone, but if it's coming from the extra deck it has to go in an extra zone or link point.

wtf actually? is there any archetype that allows a normal summon during your opponent's turn?

Here's the latest rulebook. Everything you need to know is right in here

How are the Utopia cards related to the Hope monsters from the Zexal anime?

i was a huge fan oh ygo but this sounds retarded

It's fun

I think it helps the game. The game degenerated to chaining effects to get a huge monster then getting a OTK.

Now it's much harder to do since you can only have one extra monster at a time for the most part.

The only way to get multiple extra monsters now is either by using link monsters to create link points or by sending your extra monsters to the graveyard and bringing them back to a monster zone.

wait you mean that you can now only extra summon to linked positions? this means all special summon/ritual summon/normal summon archetypes were shadow buffed!