Is Doomguy chaotic good just very angry lawful good?

Is Doomguy chaotic good just very angry lawful good?

Other urls found in this thread:

classicdoom.com/doominfo.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>just
or just

From the demons' point of view, Doomguy is evil!

If you're evil to evil are you double evil or good?

Doomguy is the demons.

He's in a setting without garbage barrel mechanics like alignment.

there is nothing inherently good about doomguy, he just kills stuff. He's more chaotic neutral than anything

/thread

Neutral angry. He's not slaying for goodness or law or even to sow chaos in hell.

He's doing it because he's fucking pissed.

dice+d100+10

Lawful neutral. He thinks all demons and demon related things should die, without qualification, exception, or question. It's a very simple rule that governs every action he takes. He has no stake in placing a higher or more benevolent creature or creatures into power though, he just hates demons.

Double evil

Doomguy isn't a person, he's an elemental force of anger, which makes him either Neutral or Unaligned.

>just very angry
this

If he was chaotic I doubt he would have joined the marines in the first place.

He was reassigned to Mars because he disobeyed an order to fire upon civilians and assaulted the officer giving the order.

Doomguy is Good.

I think he's "Chaotic Good" because his actions don't derive from a deep feeling of duty or adherence to principles, but come from a spontaneous, innate, instinctive and wild hate and will to "rip and tear" evil.
"Chaotic" because he kind of hates exposition and doesn't seem to care for anything other than his bloodlust (Again, I don't think it's a "quest" he set himself to accomplish, he's just a wild being of pure rage).

Can you really call his hate for demons an extreme "Law"?
It would be more fitting, I think, categorising it as an extreme "Goodness".

i think in the early games he pretty clearly have a mission which he executes to the letter. he is not having fun with the kills he tries to be as efficient about it as possible to conserve ammunition and give himself every advantage possible. luring his enemies into traps kiting them getting them lined up in corridors for convenient machine-gunning or being able to hold them up with the chainsaw... he was not insane.

i don't really like this new canon about him being a meme tier wh40k angry marine that is also khornes champion by accident.

Doomguy is True Neutral Barbarian/Gunslinger. Demons must die. Period. Doesn't matter if it is for the betterment of mankind or anything. It's not for goodness, evilness, to bring order to the world, to sow chaos. It's literally just to rid the world of demons. That's the purest form of True Neutral I've ever seen.

Chaotic Neutral.
He doesn't give a shit about anything other than murdering every single demon ever.

/thread

Doomguy is Lawful Good and a stellar role model for young paladins.

The exception is Comic Doomguy, who is an unhinged Chaotic Neutral (tending towards good).

>his actions don't derive from a deep feeling of duty or adherence to principles
How do you know that? A deep feeling of duty may have been the reason he joined the marines in the first place. He may be full of wild rage, but no more so than is proportionate to the situation

Have you met many marines?

I only played Doom 2016, so if you're telling the truth you've got a decent point

I call it Law because to be lawful isn't to be good or evil, it's to adhere to a set of principles. If you refuse to compromise your ideals, even when faced with situations that would undoubtedly be way easier to manage if you just broke the rules some, you're lawful

Not even on alignment chart
Just straight angry

in the early doom games you received absolutely zero information about the guy his motives his past or anything.

That's what I thought, but I didn't know if there was like a manual or a comic or something that came with the game that I just didn't know about. If he really has no backstory prior to 2016, then I stand by Lawful Neutral

That info about OG Doomguy were in the read me files of the first game.

Doom Guy is actually a soldier who died during WW2. He is a demon who thinks all the helpless humans he is slaughtering at demons.

I thought about it, and I think it NOT deriving from duty makes more sense if you think in terms of the likely "canon" that the developers never wrote down:
Doomguy, (more in this remake than the original!) Is meant to be a blank slate on which the player projects himself, a silent protagonist that thinks what the player thinks, and wants what the player wants.
instead of the "tragic and epic" feeling of Gears of War, or the "Cautious and spooked" feeling of Resident Evil 1, the music and the atmosphere is meant to PUMP YOU UP. You are Doomguy, you feel what he feels, when HE skips the cutscene, it's because he's trying to come closer to a certain gamer's mentality: Rip and Tear, and feel JOY as you do so. Feel the bass and the beat rise as you mow them down with machineguns! Have fun! Run forward! Go Berserk!
I could argue that this isn't a minor detail, but the main drive behind the game!
So when the question is "why is Doomslayer doing this?" A developer would answer "He wants to WRECK SHIT UP."
You can make up a tragic backstory where they killed his wife, or an inspiring story where he's a wimp but the army teaches him love for his country, or discipline.
But if you do this you're not the stereotypical player that the developers project into Doomguy.
"I don't fucking know man, I don't care, I just want to shoot demons and have some fun while gore splatters on the floor!" This is the mentality the player is supposed to have in the game creator's mind. And that's what silent-protagonist, all-absorbing Doomguy thinks.

The wink at this with him interrupting the exposition is too strong to ignore. It's instinct, gamer instinct projected into a in-universe character.

This is what makes me say "chaotic good".

the bunny disagrees.

classicdoom.com/doominfo.htm
lol i played the crap out of it but never bothered to even look at the readme

What if Doomguy's rabbit was actually killed by the guy from Shadow Warrior? The guy is known for killing rabbits and running around during demonic apocalypses.

Good arguments.

you know this was printed in 1995 right?

You know in the first game he's literally trying to avenge his dead pet bunny, right?

Doomguy was always like this

The latest Doom shows that he's clearly good. Or at least the deaths of innocents contributes to him being severely pissed off.

doom comic doesn't count i'm was talking about the games

If we use the original Elric-inspired Law/Chaos alignments, without the shoehorned in Good/Evil alignments that Tolkien fans begged for, it's actually a lot simpler.

Doomguy is a force of RAW entropy and destruction that's released in the general direction of Hell: another highly chaos aligned force.
The Daemons are highly Chaos aligned, sufficiently so to the point that they almost stop seeming evil and start seeming like forces of nature. At the beginning of his quest(s) Doomguy is moderately Law aligned, but not enough to be beyond the mortal constructs of good and evil. By the end of his quest(s) he's been so corrupted by the realm of pure chaos that he's become just as chaos aligned as the realm itself: another amoral force of nature, but he still remembers being human, and that killing demons is "good" so he just keeps ripping and tearing.

Chaos/Law work just fine as measurable forces, because entropy can theorhetically be measurable. Good/Evil as a measurable force is just silly, and works better as a label ascribed by mortals to how they percieve things that are moderately law aligned vs moderately chaos aligned respectively. However, if you go far enough down either rabbit hole, you start to act and think more on a cosmic scale, and be well beyond those labels.

Doomguy is unaligned. The forces of nature don't have an alignment, they just are.

Doomguy is Psychotic Good.

Chaotic Angry
>They are rage. Brutal. Without mercy. But you? You will be worse. Rip and tear until it is done.

Medium professionalism, high mental sickness.

Doom 2016 he makes an effort to ensure that Vega is backed up before destroying him. That was an interesting point in the game for me.

He could be Neutral Good. Not extremely concerned with duty, nor with personal freedom. Just really wants to kill demons.

Heavy and Scout should swap places, He's arguably the second most put together mentally just behind the engineer. Scout is both really stupid and really vain, that he manages to remember how to breath, never mind use a gun or follow orders, is anyone's guess.

i SO hope that vega lives in doomguy's armor and serves as the kinda story narrator/helper

>Doomguy is good

There are no good Packers fans, Keen wouldn't be in hell if he was good.

But level 32 doesn't take place in hell

Except his implicit desire to protect the innocent, as seen at his anger over the death of civilians and (in the newest game) purposefully saving the AI who was helping despite not needing to.

Green Bay is a special kind of hell.

Uh the heavy talks to and has named his gun. He's definitely closer to blokes who bludgeon their wives to death with a golf trophy than someone who is just narcissistic.

Shadow badow bo-badow, at least.

His family is also fucking insane, considering the comics. I mean one of his sisters falls in love with the Soldier and the necklace of ears she makes to signify this is immediately understood by the Heavy.

no user, you are the demons

The heavy's normal, just eccentric. His obsession with his gun is more just comic relief

His family live in the mountains having escaped some kind of political upheaval. Some paranoia is to be expected. The bloodlust is probably just a quirk.

>His family is also fucking insane
No, they're just Russian.

At my base they had to specifically ban interacting with the wildlife since Marines kept tackling them to put reflective belts on them.

Doomguy has consistently shown a care for his fellow man. Doomguy is good

How does this relate to Veeky Forums?

alignment.