/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Relative Powergaming" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.0.0) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/sbaiodixbeoxxd1

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: What theme park splat do you hope WanG will cover? Where or when do you most want to visit, and who do you want to fight?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SQSVSANqZVg&t=1787s
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Assignment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

FLUFFY POST HERE

how are tech-priests trained?
is there a school for it on mars, or are there apprenticeships, or some other thing?

(OP)
>What theme park splat do you hope WanG will cover?
Imperial Knights, so bad. I just wonder how long before we get it.

Dark Age of Technology, the Age of the Emperor's Ascension, or the Great Crusade.

We have two good homebrews with knights, they can probably tide you over

It's more that I'm interested in the spectacle that will be their take on it. How will they cover it? How much fluff/crunch will there be? Will it be good/passable/laughable/horrific? Just how deep will they dive into the Knight scions, their society and the cogs, both internal and external, that make it work. Will the default be Freeblades(the obvious choice) or House Knights(Game of Thrones in Space!)? Just how badass/wimpy will they be on the battlefield?

Ultimately, will we get a dumpster fire or a goldmine? So many questions.

The lack of open playtest makes me lean more toward the dumpster fire.

youtube.com/watch?v=SQSVSANqZVg&t=1787s

Lot of info about Wrath and Glory here.

Is DH 2e good for beginners?

As long as you're able to keep track of things on your character sheet and are capable of making decisions for yourself, yes.

Adding on to this, what books are considered necessary?

Core rulebook.

the way they word things in the manual FUCKING SUCKS

also seefor it is truth

Ah, I meant as in what splatbooks are generally considered a must-have, and that I'm the one GM'ing. I'm tired.

Kek, that sounds wonderful.

To be perfectly homest, I use Only War to introduce players to 40krpgs.

Specifically, a scenario where you're being HALO'd in to destroy a Sanctuary city's Hydra Batteries.

The party is made up of the guardsmen who survived the flak ceiling.

All the Enemies books.

Human side stats are inflated compared to previous lines.

HOW SHITTY IS THIS CHARACTER?

I don't care too much about min-maxing.

I want to play it as a low/no combat character.
with a focus on knowing things, making things, replacing the weakness of his flesh, and PURGING ALL THOSE WHO WOULD TAINT THE HOLY WORKS OF THE ADMECH WITH XENO AND CHAOTIC INFLUENCES

>never played before
>when build does not match standard char-gen assume GM permission

There are dots to on the sides of your characteristics to indicate how many times you've advanced them.

I have not advanced any of them those were my straight down the line rolls

no stat may be advanced beyond 45 at the start of the game

Open playtest does not in any way correlate to quality of the final game.

Is a Penitant Mutant (arm bone blades) from a Demon World a good or bad idea?

Thinking of making him an Emperor loving/fearing man who was born a mutant on a demon world and stowed away with a warband of human heretics.

Eventually he was discovered by the Inquisitor and made a part of the retinue with a short leash.

Would making him a blank later be out of the question?

You can't become a blank. You're born one.

In dh2e you have to buy into that advanced role. Dont you?

Yes and the idea is that you buy into it at character creation.

I'm sure shoving a null-rode inside yourself would get you there. Wonder if anyone influential enough as ever tried it, cause that seems like the first thing you'd think of if you ever came into possession of one?

DH2e's handling of Blanks pretty much fucked the fluff completely. Without making any effort to adjust the fluff to suit the broken stupid rules.

>Those Characteristics
Jesus, how did they come about?
>Finesse
Sorry sport, but you can't have that. Sad I know, but what can you do? And while you're at it, get a tap of Dodge. Your insides will thank you later

Ah. Hows the rest od the concept?

>Sorry sport, but you can't have that
why?

>rules citation
tech and inteligence
I had 2 duplicate aptitudes so I picked General and finesse as alternates
is that not possible?

>take dodge
I'll look into that
is it that worth it?

>I had 2 duplicate aptitudes so I picked General and finesse as alternates
First, you _don't pick General;_ everyone has it by default.
Second, read the 's screencap. You can pick only a _characteristic-based_ aptitude, which Finesse isn't.

>Those Characteristics
>Jesus, how did they come about?
random roll on roll20, 2d10+25
with the rolls that did 3d10 drop lowest +25
and the one at 3d10 drop highest +25

straight down the line witnessed and verified by the GM

Well, in DH2e, you have an entire Blank talent tree. Eventually gives you stuff like denying Psychic Powers nearby you, etc.

In every other part of the lore, blanks work like that no matter what. They always negate psychic powers nearby to them, not just "weaken" them. It's not a skill you develop, it's a trait you're born with and stays more or less the same forever, although it can be amplified with equipment.

ah I see.
>everyone has it by default.
not knowing this is what I get for reading about aptitudes then just looking at the aptitude discount charts. that makes more sense, so I'm back to having 2 aptitudes to pick, what do you recommend?

we have at least 2 players going majority combat and the sixth man is on the fence going full combat or maximum party-face. I want to go mostly tech skill-monkey

>is it that worth it?
Over a 1/3 chance to not get gutted by a Hellblade or a krak grenade? Worth the 200-300 xp I say...
>straight down the line witnessed and verified by the GM
Didn't doubt that, just curious. I would have killed for a WB 4 when I started (I rolled 27 without matching aptitudes).

Btw, I didn't notice a divination. Have rolled one?

>what do you recommend?
Agility and toughness. You want speed to outrun the daemon host that your GM will be throwing at you on your first day in the service of his holy majesty (mine does anyways...) and Toughness is always nice. You don't really do anything with the other aptitudes unless you want to have autistic strength or a savvy spoke person of the mechanicus

>divination
I gained a free talent HATRED

GM let me pick hatred of Heretek
as in tech that hybrids with chaos or Xeno tech
and also tainted admech or admech wannabes
as well as a disslike(RP) of people mucking about with tech they shouldn't

noted.
speed to get to cover

and a second chance if I'm not fast enough...

>autist strength
nah I'm good thanks.
on my other computer I am assembling an "autistic binary screeching" soundboard

Read up on how you go from altar boy to seminary, and it's mostly like that + trade school.

They're selected to be tech-priests from birth and groomed for the role from there. Forge Worlds are typically incredibly depersonalised and utilitarian, free will doesn't really exist.

Obviously it's a big galaxy and in some places it'll be done differently, but I think that's the standard.

So basically the AdMech fucked up the whole idea of being human and machine and are just machines?

How are they different from Men of Iron?

They have squishy bits.

>rolled stats
I'm guessing your GM is one of those that won't allow the pointbuy because "muh natural stats" or something?

>I want to play it as a low/no combat character
Eh, not a great idea for DH. At least stock up on grenades, and get a weapon capable of auto fire and/or a flamer, so you can contribute to the inevitable combat.

I see others have picked up on the more mechanical faults of your character, but I will just stress that you should pick up Dodge. Perhaps consider using your doubled Aptitude to pick up the Agility Aptitude, since you already have all Knowledge/Int.

DH2e indeed allows becoming a blank after chargen. I think the intent behind it is that someone could potentially be a latent blank, but really 2e's handling of blank fluff and how they have a whole tree they have to work down is purely for gamification purposes, y'know allowing people to afford the blank role at chargen by keeping it a low initial XP cost and then giving you something to work towards.

Back to the character, I sure as hell hope your Inquisitor is radical as fuck. Have you discussed with your GM and party about having a dude with such an obvious mutation? Penitents are one thing, but an obvious mutant is another since the capacity for more mutations is a very real threat.

>y'know allowing people to afford the blank role at chargen
DH1e handled this just fine without fucking up the lore.

Planning a campaign in an Underhive where characters have to get to the surface and survive, any ideas?

I wish 40k had stayed with FFG and they got to make a 40k RPG on the Star Wars dice system.

I guess I could homebrew it now it's going standalone.

>muh 1e

Actually no, 1e goes against the lore just as much as 2e by having weak blanks. Only "Pariahs" get the proper canon blank effects.

Honestly at this point the line between my own houserules and the actual DH1e rules is so blurred that I probably mixed the two up.

There are grades of psycher, I don't see why the scale wouldn't continue in reverse

Being a blank means not having a soul.

Do low level blanks only have half a soul?

is it Dark Heresy you are preparing for? Provide some details, describe the world and the type of city: who runs it and what's their's policy on the underhive? What is generally happenning in this underhive? Why have characters found themselves there? If there's something they need to accomplish before reaching for the surface?

>psycher
It's psyker for a start, and the easy answer to your question is "that's how it works in the canon novels". Even though BL books can be a real mismatch and even contradict each other, all psychic blank characters have been described as utterly eliminating psychic effects within their area of influence. That's just their canon description.

The more complex answer is a discussion around the idea that brings up. Blanks completely oppose the warp's influence because they essentially have no soul, it's not something that they can improve in the way that a psyker trains their ability, it's not something that comes in varying degrees. They just are.

My impression is that you're raised in the cult, and so get selected from a young age for training. On a Forgeworld, it's likely from birth, on other planets there are probably small populations of lay-technicians who help the priests and maintain their residences, doing jobs that are unsuited for servitors, and from whose children priests are selected and trained. Children are probably offered to the cult from outside on rare occasions too, I'd guess.

My gm is having the inquisitor be radical, and acting like Hans Landa from Inglorious Basterds

What are Sanctuary Cities?

>"Well, we couldn't afford a Culexus, but we lubed up our Adept with sanctified oil and stuck a null rod up his ass"
>"and what have you found?"
>"He, uh, he doesn't like it."

After looking into it, i CAN buy into it at chargen. Gms cool with kt. And hey i have a reason why i havent been blammed or eaten by a demon.

These are the guys that surgically remove the emotion centers of their brains so that they can more purely rely on logic.
There's not much difference.

Turf war between heretic mutants and devout mutants, various bizarre gangs, death cults, cave-ins, giant termites, that kind of thing.
You could do it a lot like The Warriors, where there's a price on your players heads and everybody wants a piece.

Special snowflake much?

Fair point. Guess i can drop the mutant and/or demon world bit.

They're just about to reach the door out, when suddenly necrons attack.

Serious question, I've only played one session of this. And the GM wasn't that great but I could see it possibly having potential.

How fun is this game as both a 40k game and a standalone RPG?

With the right people it's a riot of OW THE EDGE, cartoon villainy and off the wall characters.

With the wrong people, it's a dumpster fire of OW THE EDGE, cartoon villainy and snowflake characters.

What sort of resistance might an on-the-run heretek find? Let's say he joined up with a rogue trader for the time being.

The any admech that would know of him.

Would Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders have Survivalists or Sharpshooters doctrine? I already gave them Snipers doctrine.

Only Mechanicus and people who are familiar with them really. The rest won't know the difference between sanctioned and unsanctioned tech unless it's blatant heresy (Shuriken catapult, etc...)

This. Unless he's spewing out daemons all day, every day, barely anyone not a techpriest will know what the fuck he's doing, let alone that it's heresy.

It's excellent if the GM and the party know what they want. We use BC to run anti-Imperium conspiracy extravaganza with regular humans only and I'm loving it. But the few times I had the misfortune to play with random people, it turned into a very bad anime.

>I'm guessing your GM is one of those that won't allow the pointbuy because "muh natural stats" or something?
no idea but they also gave us an extra 1000 free XP

>Eh, not a great idea for DH. At least stock up on grenades, and get a weapon capable of auto fire and/or a flamer, so you can contribute to the inevitable combat.
first job is infiltrating the crew of a rogue trader.
I suspect there may be questions if I show up for work with a bandoleer of grenades.

though I DID consider the Demolition Kit as one of my gear upgrades

He asked for a description of Black Crusade, user, not the entire line.

Are there rules for playing pregnant characters?

>>>/anywherebuthere/

See the thing is I want to have a character get corrupted by Slaaneshi demons and start getting pregnant with a mutant human baby. And since they're an Inquisitor's Acolyte, it becomes a huge internal moral issue for the character.

>it becomes a huge internal moral issue for the character.
Throwing acolytes out the airlock isn't a moral issue for the Inquisitor, desu

Literally this. Anything remotely heretical going on with an Acolyte usually leads to purging unless their Inquisitor is radical. But even then there's no way they'd allow a daemon-spawn do be born.

Yeah but the character has to decide whether to keep it a secret, abort it, etc.

A radical inquisitor would probably chain up the acolyte and lobotomize the pregnant character for a science project.

It's a lame excuse to insert your fetish into a game that has little tolerance for magical realm.

But it's the fault of fighting corruption, not because they're corrupt themselves.

The Imperium doesn't give a fuck, corruption is corruption. I know you're trying to justify jerk-off fuel but still.

Acolytes are expendable and easily replaced. If I'm cleaning up a mess with a sponge, and the sponge becomes dirty, I can attempt to restore the sponge to it's original, pristine conditions.

However, that will take time and effort, and if I have a dozen more sponges in a cupboard that I haven't even taken out of the packaging, I'd be inclined to just throw it away after the mess was cleaned. Same thing with the acolytes. They'll inevitably become corrupted or insane in their adventures, and their inquisitors will use them until it's cheaper to kill them and have them replaced.

"Huurrrrr durrrrrr ded gaem thred"
I want everyone who doubted the return of the Emperor's light on the RPG games to kill themselves immediately.

Akchually, there are degrees of soullessness
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Assignment

>I suspect there may be questions if I show up for work with a bandoleer
No, but an expanded mag autopistol is nice and allows you to pin with Suppressing Fire in combat. Carrying one of those around is not suspect at all, no matter who you're posing as really. Grenades are better off getting after chargen anyway.

It says right there, an Omega level is a blank.

> These individuals are so inert in the Warp as to actually exhibit negative psychic influence upon others. Primarily manifested as a small region of "blankness" surrounding the individual, it is impossible for psychic powers or warp creatures to penetrate this space.
>Those at an Omega level of psi-negativity can easily be distinguished by others, as Imperial science has shown the dead-area surrounding the subject interferes with natural electrical-mental functions. This often results in irrational fear and loathing of the individual for normal humans. For psykers, however, Omega level persons are physically and mentally painful to be near.

That, is a blank.

Is there such a thing as an IG regiment too focused on fire?

Yes. I seem to recall a FW vehicle which is an open-topped Hellhound with space for a small squad of soldiers to ride in.

Are you sure it wasn't just a chimera with a heavy flamer?

Quick question:

How does the twin linked rule work with spray weapons? (e.g. an immolator's twin linked heavy flamers)

Logically if the person trying to avoid the spray weapon fails the agility test by two or more degrees, they get hit a second time. The test should also be at a -20.

noted

and the way that Tech-Use and Trade skills work I could also MAKE one of those given the right raw materials and 1d10 hours

Do you have the blueprints?

how does one acquire them?

that wasn't clear in the excerpt I read

So, group cancelled the regular game we were playing today on account of a player going to a baseball game (honoring his late pop) and the backup game was called on account of the dm not being into it due to fatigue.

So. They elected to get a leg up on regiment creation and specialty selection for my upcoming Only War game.

Here's what they chose;

Frontier World (full cowboy judging by the accents)
Maverick CO
Drop Troops (I told them they had to pick this. Already have a story path in mind and It's the closest thing to mobile they can get short of vehicles and mounts
Hardened Fighters (they chose a Low Tech Weapon, Horse Head clubs based on pic related)
Demolitions
Honour Bound (Proud Frontiersman that they are)

With the remaining points, and the 3 points i refunded on account of them being shoehorned into a Drop Troop Regiment, they had 35 points altogether. They upgraded the craftsmanship from common to best, got a survival suit, an advanced medkit, and then a can of recaf per squadmate.

They were all burnt out on account of a food coma that was brought on by the session eats (low carb chicken cordon blue lasagna/casserole) so no real fluff other than they are Blue Collar types and cowboys essentially.

Here's what everyone picked as their Specialties

Weapon Specialist (Flamer)
Medic
Ogryn
Sanctioned Psyker
Commissar
Last Player has yet to decide.

The Plot is; Their company is where the fuckups, malcontents, and shitheads that aren't bad enough to warrant a summary execution get sent as cannon fodder for the cannon fodder. Think Bad Company mixed with ww2 era 101st Airborne. They'll be dropping onto a Severan Dominate controlled world in a sector that the Dominate has begun "expansion" into since they've begun to expand out of the Calixis Sector due to shenanigans (this does take place in TTS as to not make the game to serious) the world is basically Not!Europe.

SO! How would you guys rate this squad/regiment? How would you fluff them?

Top Gun paras then?

Fluff-wise, they must come from a planet with lots of mesas scattered around grassy steppes so they can be full cowboy.

Why do they get the best gear though if they're the best-of-the-worst?

they get best quality horse shaped clubs that they themselves carve as a right of passage. Or so my players said (it was originally supposed to be a sledgehammer sized hobby horse but i put the kibosh on that, too retarded.

Top Gun was about the best of the worst? Thank you. I can fluff out their homeworld better.

not really, Teddy and his rough riders were more like shock troops who had people who happened to be sharpshooters in them.