/bgg/ Board Games General - fa/tg/uys anonymous edition

The latest and greats in board game generals!

Previous thread ---> > What's the most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?

> What's the most embarrassing or weird thing you've seen while board gaming?

Pastebin - Board Game related links and Info...

pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K

> Currently looking for suggestions for additional thread starter links and new content to add to the pastebin. Yours would be?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-Boulder-Deck-Small/dp/B06XGFVZNP/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for at least it's not monopoly

> No Monopoly...

Yes, it could have been much worse. No Monopoly, Risk, Catan, Munchkin, or other 'trigger' subjects. ;)

Thanks a lot man. I will do a test for sure and clean it. He has played it plenty but I doubt he washed the minis so I'll do it just in case and give a gentle scrub with a toothbrush.

>> What's the most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?

I've made some mistakes, but it wasn't anything to bad, and it didn't hose someone else out of winning a game so no one got terribly butt-hurt or anything.

>> What's the most embarrassing or weird thing you've seen while board gaming?

My family has had dogs as pets for decades. Years ago we had a Basset Hound named 'Maude'. Maude was creatively evil. She would eat and be covered with slobber and use your pant legs as a napkin - ewww! But she was legendary for her ability to fling slobber. She'd shake her head and people would dive for cover. One day there's 5 or 6 of us sitting around the table gaming, and into the room walks 'Maude'. Everyone stops to see if she's going 'slobber-bomb' us... . So we go back to gaming. And Maude waddles in under the game table. About 30 seconds later, one person looks up with an expression of sheer terror and horror on then face... And then it hits the rest of us. A smell. "Oh god. OH. MY. GOD!" It was a stench that made the eyes water, could peal the paint off of a battleship, and violated numerous Geneva Conventions. Each of us is looking at the others wondering how it was humanly possible to produce that kind of stench. When I glance under the table. And there's Maude - I swear that bitch was grinning. In a split-second what had been a calm game turned into a stamped to flee the room. Maude literally gassed us out of the gaming area for a good 20 - 30 minutes before the room aired out enough to return.

Maude passed away a couple of decades ago. But the long time members of my gaming group haven't ever let me forget 'Gas Warfare' game.

Glad to help. I know a lot of people who think it's a waste of time to clean minis before spray priming / painting them. But I've seen multiple examples, including pic related which was the one time I decided to 'save time' and skip the washing of the sprues. Go figure... The oils in your skin can cause paint not to adhere well to the surface of the mini which is reason #1 to wash them. But mold-release agents are commonly used in the minis making industry to prolong the working life of expensive metal molds. And unfortunately those chemical compounds can and sometimes do react with the solvents in spray paint. So washing the minis first is the easiest and cheapest way to help avoid trashing expensive plastic needlessly.

Temperature and humidity can also have a serious impact on how well your spray primer or paint goes on the minis. Read the labeling - most will tell you that you want weather in the 70's (F) and moderate humidity. If it's way to dry and/or hot - then the paint may start to clump and dry before it even hits the surface of the minis. Again, doing a spray test first helps avoid expensive mistakes.

And it is generally a good idea to prime minis before painting them - particularly if said minis are going to get handled a lot. Primer gives the paint a better surface to adhere to, and helps it last. You can also 'varnish' your minis, but varnish is even more temperature sensitive when applying it. And over the decades it will eventually 'yellow' as it ages.

> What's the most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?

The first time I brought Evolution: the Beginning to game group I didn't know traits were limited. One guy still lambasts me every week for having had a super creature with like 9 traits.

Someone brought in CaH...

Most embarrassing however is bringing my dad and having him cheat.

>Most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?
For a bout a week I was teching Secret Hitler as though the President doesn't select a Chancellor until after he's elected. Yeah, that was pretty bad.

>What's the most embarrassing or weird thing you've seen while board gaming?
Friend getting pissed off and having a legitimate tantrum during a game of Dead of Winter, I think someone had done something stupid to try and draw out the traitor, but ended up just helping them. When we called him out on being an asshat about it, his response was "I know I'm being a douche, but I'm pissed off so the rest of you are just going to have to deal with it until I don't want to anymore."
We still give him crap about that whenever he gets salty, which is often. Hasn't gotten old yet.

Horrendous results, jesus. I'm definitely not going to risk a buddy's minis to that. I'll spray a tad on the base and give it 10 minutes to see how it reacts to the plastic first.

I never washed my minis mind you and I never got this issue. I got 4 armies in 40k as well as heaps of random minis, but regardless, anecdotal. You can evade it often but when it happens, you'd wish you took every precaution.

I wonder if I can prime actually. I live in the med and it's still fairly warm nowadays and quite humid. Might not be able to prime at all unless it's early morning.

Guy who got a copy of Forbidden Stars on Friday, I finally finished storing everything. Last thing to do is sleeve the cards and the sleeves should get delivered tomorrow

>tfw you just can't get that 4th box in the row

would they not fit if you rotated the contents 90º? (box rectangle not square)

It won't, the box is ~1 cm too short unfortunately. It works out thought because the blue box and the upright plano case keep the tiles from sliding around

MFW I have a bunch of Plano boxes like that I can use with my copy of Forbidden Stars

Same annoying feel with the new Iello edition of Diamant, 8 chests, they don't fit 4 across unless one row is turned sideways, and if you don't tetris them in rather than neat rows the cards/gems don't fit right. More publishers need to copy DoW and do those wonderful vacuform inserts. Cardboard valleys may keep the games safe in transit and be cheap but they're awful for the OCD gamer

>> What's the most embarrassing rule you've screwed up while teaching a game?
First time playing The King is Dead.
I was the only one who had read the rules. I even made sure to read it twice in case I overlooked something the first time.
I still fucking managed to miss the line that says to move all followers from a region to the common pool after resolving it.
This basically rendered most of the "place followers" card useless.

I honestly don't remember, which means it couldn't have been that embarrassing. But I did forget to tell my wife that you got a bonus if you laid down eight cards in a track in Lost Cities, and she still uses that as evidence that I omit rules to win when we play.

Someone at a board game Meetup got really mad playing Citadels, because he kept getting hit. He ended up throwing his hand at the other player when he got Magicianed, which would have been bad enough. Then he wrote this diatribe in the comments section of the group calling us all kinds of names and threatening to show all of us what "the human animal is truly capable of" next time he saw us. It was Navy Seals copypasta tier.

Post it for us, that sounds hilarious.

>want a bunch of stuff a company sold at gencon
>really only one tiny expansion is a priority
>hit up ebay
>only person left selling it has it "buy it now" for 5x what it's actually sold for in auctions
>see "or best offer"
>offer 50% more than auction sale prices
>counteroffer: full buy-in-now

I hate scalping in general, but I get it. I don't get the folks that list things at obviously ludicrous prices and insist on sitting on them.

You don't understand how little money means to some people. He's looking for that ONE RICH dumbass who's willing to just pay whatever to get it now.

>greats
>order of pastebin and questions messed up
>forgot to put the map in the op

Unfortunately, it's been five years since then, and if I did save a copy, it was a computer migration ago.

all he had to do was copy paste

>forgot to put the map in the op
Aside from the last thread this is not, and really shouldn't be a thing. Besides if you want to get truly autistic about it you should be complaining about the spacing and the title
>board GAME general
That's how you know when it's not one of our usual people who posted the new thread

>this is not, and really shouldn't be a thing

at least 13 anons in all three hemispheres say different

the other 4 people on bgg probably haven't seen it BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN THE OP

also it sure would be nice if we could get some more quality starters

>this is not, and really shouldn't be a thing

at least 13 anons in all three hemispheres say different

the other 4 people on bgg probably haven't seen it BECAUSE IT'S NOT IN THE OP

also it sure would be nice if we could get some more quality starter images

>in all three hemispheres
>three
I want to support you on your map to bring /bgg/ together but you really need a geography class first user

My birthday was last week and I threw a party yesterday and surprisingly people brought gifts.

Colt express, Spoils of war and Cosmic encounter.

Saw some of you guys talking about how you guys dislike Cosmic. I have never played it but everyone apparently loves it.

Any comments on the other games?
Also
What is the worst game anyone has given you?

>>order of pastebin and questions messed up

LOL - this level of Autism. If you were literate you would have noticed there's a question related to updating the pastebin Which is why it's down in the question section.

>>forgot to put the map in the op

1. Which your dumb-ass failed to link to it here too. Way to go there "Nigel 'Incubator' Jones!"

2. How many Anons of Doxxed themselves? Why, according to you it's a massive 13 out of 75 - 80+ Anons that post here. Wow - 16% to 17% of possible posters. (Represented by someone who couldn't manage to post the link themselves while whining about it.)

3. How many games have resulted as a product of said 'Mah Map'? ZERO? Yeah...

4. What's the likelihood of any games resulting from said map? The phrase you're looking for among the statistics community is "the percentage is so small it's scientifically indistinguishable from zero."

And while I appreciated the concept, there are frankly a hell of a lot more 40K / GW gamers out there, and the exact same map idea fails. Normally I might apologize for missing it. But frankly, hearing you whining about an unrealistic project which you can't even link to yourself just makes you look foolish.

>Saw some of you guys talking about how you guys dislike Cosmic. I have never played it but everyone apparently loves it.

C.E. is a fairly social game, which depends as much on manipulating others as it does on a deep strategic understanding of the rules. And some people "cannot into social". And people aren't exactly the most easy thing to deal with which can frustrate gamers used to machine like precision with rules outcomes.
>Any comments on the other games?

Sorry, haven't played any others.

>What is the worst game anyone has given you?

I haven't gotten any 'bad' games. In fact I've gotten some really good ones like Quarter Master General.

Veeky Forums, where do you buy cheap deck boxes?

I've got some games where the paper card boxes are nearly falling apart. I need replacements, but $5 for a folded sheet of plastic seems silly.

I use a slightly larger version for my EDH decks, shit works great and it's cheap as fuck.

I go for cardstock and make my own tuck boxes most of the time, but if I have to have a strong deck box I'll use a plastic one like user posted, or grab something at the container store. If I want a box for traveling with multiple games I've got a satin tower I'll load with half a dozen microgames.

There's also TCC, which some user posted a few months back when we were having a full autism discussion on sleeving. That guy's reviewed pretty much every box out there, once you find what you're looking for in terms of style, go looking on CSI/Amazon/MM/etc for the best price, or wait til prime day/black Friday sales and load up.
>tolariancommunitycollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/TCCReportCardLive.pdf

Try CSI (Coolstuffinc.com) and Miniature Market.

Thanks, those prices are much better than what I see on amazon.

As far as I'm concerned, several deck boxes of varying sizes are must-haves for any tabletop game player. I've bought all mine from Amazon and CSI recently, but I still have a Pokémon one that is dear to me from around 1999. I use them to carry TCG decks, but also small board/card games like Star Realms.
TCC is a great resource to pick the perfect one for you. For me, Ultimate Guard is my go-to brand. This one called Boulder is next up on my list. I already have a Monolith and it's great, but it's huge.
amazon.com/Ultimate-Guard-Boulder-Deck-Small/dp/B06XGFVZNP/

Amazon isn't the biggest retailer because they have the best prices, it's because they have everything and the shipping is less a hassle. I'm stingy as all hell when it comes to my gaming budget so I tend to only do an Amazon order if the pricing is well below retail or I've got gift cards. CSI/MM are better but if you can hold off on an order til it's at the $100 mark for free shipping it's even better. The problem is a deck box isn't a big ticket item, so you're really better off grabbing them as part of another order, like sleeves/dice/supplies rather than go looking specifically for them and get hit on shipping or higher prices.

Of note MM changed from peanuts to airbag packaging a while back, so you're more likely to see a dented box from them or Amazon than CSI. They do have the better "hold" policy, with it being built in to their website, and allowing multiple daily deals in a single order. Sadly their rewards program is absolute shit ($1 = 1point which refunds to 1 cent)

CSI you have to work around the system to hold things, and max out at 1 daily deal per order. Upside they use peanuts, which are a pain but result in no dented boxes ever. Their rewards system is better (% off based on $ spent) but you honestly NEVER need to use it. The promo code AZ13 is in effect non-stop, giving you $5 off $75 (better than the 5% off top tier reward) and if you get your order to $100 you can get the free shipping at $95.

If you really needed deck boxes on the cheap tomorrow? MM clearance section, get a couple of the ugly/cringe art boxes they can't unload. If you wanted nice ones and aren't in a hurry? CSI, wait for a sale on a board game you really want, toss the boxes in extra, or wait for one of the big MM sales (they do one every 3-4 months) and grab a bunch of stuff along with boxes/sleeves/supplies.

Glad to help.

>The promo code AZ13 is in effect non-stop, giving you $5 off $75 (better than the 5% off top tier reward) and if you get your order to $100 you can get the free shipping at $95.

How did I not know this? That's excellent. Thank you!

>I am here to help and trigger anons with comic sans charts, and I'm all out of new comic sans charts.
I think I've posted it once or twice in the past but I really should remind people more often. They will occasionally have other promo codes that do the same thing, or maybe a free shipping at a lower price point; but yeah I've never had AZ13 not work. It's kinda sad since it totally negates their reward system, but I suppose that reward system is also a thing for MtG people who buy singles and get 10% off instead of 5% at the max tier.

I have the choice between Shogun and Hyperborea too get second hand cheap. What should I get? Haven't played either but interested to.

Why not both?

>What is the worst game anyone has given you?
I won Yashima in a raffle and I can't even bear playing again.

My wife gave me Hanabi and I was excited because I thought it was Lanterns, not backwards go fish. I've never played.

Because money. That and I don't often have big enough groups that get together to play games that don't have their own stuff to play so I try to keep my list of games I own smaller.

>STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T LIKE

nobody asked you to be on the map

How do I prevent what happened in this photo to my minis?

>I've never played.
Just because it's not what you thought it was doesn't mean it's automatically a bad game

>Shogun

Shogun was a decent not-Risk but the water spots and some slightly bastardized setting up probably made it less than it should have been.

What I didn't get out of it was a "you're in feudal Japan" I mean it could have been a blank hex-map and 3 colored block goods for all you actually felt of the theme.

So yeah I'd say that one would be fine, unless you're looking to feel like you're in Japan.

OTOH, Hyperboria looks neat, get that and let us know how it is.

where did I ever say it was bad? how would I know since I haven't played?

My bad, I assumed that since you were talking about the worst game anyone has given you that you decided you didn't like it.

I enjoy playing Hanabi a lot, it's deceptively difficult. If you get a chance to try it, I'd recommend it.

I like the discount and the great customer service I've gotten to date from CSI. My only issue with them is I'm going to need more shelf space if I keep buying games because they keep having good prices...

>nobody asked you to be on the map

Except the user who proposed the idea wanted everyone to put their info there. But way to be dense. Again, I don't care if the map is included, but when someone who can't be bothered to post the link themselves acts all butt-hurt, I don't have much interest in going out of my way for them when they're to damn lazy to do anything for themselves. Nor do I buy the idea that including the map in the OP is some how magically going to make it work 'this time' when the interwebz is literally full of failed examples of this very same thing.

Oh, and nice whinging but failing to post the link to the map (again!) Bravo Anons, bravo!

> How do I prevent what happened in this photo to my minis?

Me personally? I'd start by reading the text and looking at the photo which highlights why priming before painting is a good idea. But that's just me...

John James Ryan you made the cut

What crawled up your ass?

Anyway, I did use primer on my minis and I still had the paint come off on corners, that's why I was asking

did you.... wash them?

If you've got paint coming off after priming, check your grip on the mini, if you're holding it by an edge or it's resting against a mat/table that can rub off little bits of paint before you get it varnished/cleared. It's why lots of painters will stick mini bases to old pots of paint and hold them by something else.

As for user's ass, we don't ask questions about those things here, have you never been to a con? Gamer hygiene is a thing from eldritch abomination nightmares

I did

That's what I assumed it was so thanks for confirming my suspicions user

Yeah I had it happen a lot with SDE minis when I first started painting. Those kobold helmets had a fantastic bump for only touching one tiny part of the mini along with under the base and I wouldn't rub paint off (pic related). Couldn't figure out for days why the top of their helmets weren't the same leadbelcher metallic as the rest of the rim I'd just painted. Now I always try to hold only by the base until I'm done painting the body and then the base gets a single coat while it's on the board before I varnish.

Apologies - your question made it sound as if you didn't actually read the post. Which unfortunately happens here a lot.

What kind of minis are we talking - metal or plastic, and did you (as the other user asked) wash them before priming them? Failure to wash minis can result in mold release, or just plain oils from your skin causing primer or paint not to adhere well to the surface and then peel off at the least bit of ware.

1. Wash dem minis before you prime or paint.

2. Make sure your primer is appropriate for what you're applying it to, and what you're going to paint over it with. Not all primers are good for all types of materials and paints.

2a. When actually priming my minis and bits, I use a flat surface with some masking tape held in place sticky side up. It keeps the bits from moving around while priming them, and isn't so sticky that it gums up the other side of the bits before priming them.

3. While painting, try not to handle the minis itself - again the oils from your fingers can have less than ideal effects. Again, a bit of masking tape in a loop on a small piece of foam-core board or other object is a good way to hold the mini at a comfortable height without handling the mini itself.

4. After the painting is done - varnishing minis can prolong the life of their paint jobs greatly. Gloss varnish is definitely more durable than mat varnish. Some people put down a coat of gloss first and once dry then go over a 2nd time with a mat varnish to keep the model from looking oddly shiny. (Do this before you add the details like flocking / static grass to the base.)

Personally I don't varnish my models any more. Varnish can yellow as the years go by, and if you varnish in overly hot, cold, or humid conditions it can cause the varnish to become 'frosted' or semi-opaque which can ruin an otherwise fantastic paint job. So do your homework on varnishes and application conditions to avoid those issues.

Hope that helps!

Nice! I see you've made a nifty "High-Tech" (at least compared to mine) DIY tool. :) Mine is for cutting through thick 1/2" to 2" foam when creating 40K building terrain, but it does a nice job on cutting foam-core board too.

yeah I'm trying to be patient and do may light passes instead of just sawing through.

I love these DIY tools for projects, though it might be time for a new paint palette/cutting mat for me

Forgot the fucking picture

Yeah I obsessed over this box for forever.

OH SHIT WHY DID YOU DISTRACT ME

>not just flipping it over

I need to do something about this edge though.

The blade was getting dull, thus piling. I was originally thinking I might have to tape the edges, but the box design is nicely affixed to the cardboard.

Still that edge is rough and exposed. I could either tape, paint, glue soak to harden it... hmm.

Thoughts?

The other side was all cut to shit from foam core insert building. They really only last long enough to cut 1-2 sheets of foam, or paint 10-20 minis (too much water on the cardboard to thin the paints). Also dull the knife quite a bit more than those self-healing mats but hey I'm cheap.

If you wanted the edge perfectly smooth? Paint and brush on varnish maybe. There's also that self adhesive vinyl; lot of gamers use it to wrap the backside of custom built boards, grab a roll in black and wrap the edge maybe? It'd be tough though if you only wanted to cover the edge and not have it on the inside of the lid or covering the box art.

I did kind of chop the box art in half already.

True, it's something my ocd wouldn't be able to tolerate. Paper studio stuff is 50% off at Hobby Lobby this week, $4 for a 12x36 sheet of black vinyl, you could easily cut long thin strips off of it to cover

While technically I wasn't teaching a game (nobody knew the rules and it wasn't my game).... I definitely didn't read the rules back to front like I should have.

I was playing the Empire in a IA campaign and we didn't know that 'Threat' and 'Threat Level' were two different variables.

To us they both meant the number on the movable dial - so on a campaign mission where the health of the door = threat level... that plus some of those tokens that double the hit points of the doors...

I think the doors at some point had 50 hit points? Yeah let's just say we haven't played IA since because the Rebels thought the game lacked 'balance'

just cover it with PVA all around the edge using your finger. Thin layer.
Works better than varnish.

so, what are /bgg/'s thoughts on Mystic Vale?

Question - I want to build a new IP what is the best way of proofing it from other companies stealing my idea? Should I write some fiction for it? Make RPG game based on some open ended system? Few people playtested my board game prototype based on this IP and they are totally sure that it would be a hit. So what should it be? Board game, fiction or RPG system?

Never played, but I did play the second "card crafting" game, Custom Heroes. It's awful.

A decent example of a new type of game.

Will probably end up in the collection of quite a few players but ultimately superceded by something else/better, although what supercedes it will differ from person to person.

So basically the Dominion of Card Crafting games, but not as widespread/successful.

I second that, Custom Heroes is awful.

Copyright Law.

You have to have something first to copyright it. The question was about what this thing suppose to be (the best option). And copyright law is different from country to country....

>CSI shipping is undentable because of peanuts
>purchased board game
>came in over the weekend
>have to return it because it's dented

The thing is, the important part can be less what medium you present, and more in how you present it to get the law on your side in case of an actual attempt at stealing your IP. Fiction, RPG, or Board Game it ought to be carefully branded so that you can define to a court of law the elements that make your IP uniquely yours. I guess leading by vanity publishing some original fiction and then making your game technically an adaptation would probably be decent at building a base beneath the nose of a theoretically theft-inclined other company.

But, all this other discussion aside, it's worth remembering that "Serial numbers filed off" copies are generally considered legitimate, IP law protects you, basically, against others using your Proper Nouns. See also: The Tolkien Estate not suing the pants off of Terry Brooks when The Sword of Shannara came out.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I did wash them in warm soapy water and then let them dry before I put primer on them. I think my problem was I was handling the mini itself a little bit. I tried holding just the base but my hand started to cramp after a while, I'll need to get something to put the minis on next time

I wouldnt call it embarrassing, but in Settler's of Catan we thought the 'cannot settle only 1 space away' rule only applied to your own towns so we have played allowing you to settle adjacent to other players. Everyone in our play group seems to prefer it this way so we still allow it.

I've seen lots of ideas for holding minis - using an old paint bottle with 'blue-tac' to hold the mini on top and then hold the bottle. I use small bits of foam-core board with the mini stuck on some looped tape. Never had to touch the mini at all, the board is light-weight, and you can turn it easily and even paint the base itself without removing the mini. I've also see people use a box that they set the minis on at eye-height while they sit and paint. Hopefully you find what works comfortably for you.

>new WH fantasy card game announced
>GW is partnering with Ninja Division on it
Oh God please let it be more like SDE than Ninja All-Stars if they're gonna be the new game dev studio for GW. On the other hand, at least it's not CMoN

> I don't get the folks that list things at obviously ludicrous prices and insist on sitting on them
Supply and demand.

I think I'll first give the empty paint bottle a try. I appreciate the help

Any real niggas up in here play Talisman on the web?

Something I've been dealing with lately, so I'm trying to teach people who aren't really into board games some games that aren't too hard. Ya know, share the hobby. But I realized that when we do our first "real" game I easily could beat them so I've been holding back. Is it fine to let people win on their first game or should I just play normally?

From what I understand all the content you make for the game can be copyrighted however mechanics behind the game can't. So in theory they could just rip your game to the bare bones and copy it that way with their own fluff. Now a patent may help prevent that but I'm not too sure.

I just tell people they're probably going to lose their first game, and proceed to play how I normally would. In my experience, a good stomping actually draws players in, since they're now convinced they could be that amazing if they just learned the game well. E.g., when I drew my entire deck in Dominion, the reaction I got was "what the hell? How do I do that!"?