EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"Back From Training" Edition

Last Thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question:
What archetypes give your deck(s) the most trouble?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/azusa-edh-26-09-12-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-jank-tyrant/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-hatebears-edh-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-11-16-Uvo-aurelias-legion/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Thread Question
Stax.

Lock out strats like the Mornsong/Strangle Hold lock

Also any good secret tech for mill aside from the Leveller/fractured identity thing

Board control+combo such as UGx decks that amass resources while keeping my battlefield down. I'm playing tajic. ;-;

Anyone else excited for Dinosaur tribal?

My Boros decks hates the living fuck out of Pillowfort.
Allies can deal with everything but MLD or land disruption like Blood Moon/Contamination.
Breya hates nothing as it deals just fine against everything.

Anyone have any one drops or general spice for this boi? I don't know the direction I'm going to take it, but I know I'm running extra combat steps and a lot of x cost cards.

fucking yes
also defo putting grimlock in for the lols
Hell Kite Charger and Fury of the Horde

pic related is a good one.

>5/1/2008 You choose the two target creatures during announcement. You choose which gets the counters and which is to get exiled on resolution.

so, I pick two targets, my opponent blinks one of them and then i get to exile the other?

From how I'm reading it you choose which one gets the counters and which one is sacrificed as you announce it, then your opponent reacts however before it resolves.

yes

Trying to make a queen marchesa deck. I want to run pillowfort and enchantments like blind obiediance. Also tokens matter. Anyone got some good spice or tips for best mardu?

user, no.

>literally the opposite of the ruling

Anarchist and Lord of Shatterskull Pass can be useful. Feldon of the Third Path can keep recurring your Magus of the Wheel; 3RR= new hand each turn

Both creatures are chosen as the spell goes on the stack. Modes aren't chosen till resolution.

>Modes
Those are announced during the cast. Cannabalize isn't a modal spell though. All that's announced during the casting of cannibalize are the two targets, nothing more.

Did you even read the post?

correct, a spell only fails based off of target values when ALL targets are no longer valid

Not much of a fan of dinosaurs or pirates, but I am excited to see more vehicles and legendaries in dominaria. I hope that Mirri was a hint at weatherlight coming back.

It would be awesome if it was a huge comeback as in Dominaria2 as a block, and then another set of PhyrexianDominaria.

>What achetypes give your deck(s) the most trouble?
I'm probably alone in this but... fair green decks that just deploy one must-answer threat after another. I'm fine playing against stax, combo, even UGx ramp, but if your deck drops a threat on 3, 4, 5 and ahead, I'll fall behind.

It's a common cEDH archetype for a reason, user.

They already changed it.
>tfw with the meter change my deck, which I haven't changed at all, dropped from mostly competitive to this
This is funny.

No, my shitty Azusa deck still isn't competitive.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/azusa-edh-26-09-12-1/

>weatherlight
We already have Jacetice League, we don't need Weatherlight 2: This Time We're Totally Different Guys, I Swear.

>Phyrexian Dominaria
I'm really glad you're not in charge.

>Friend wants to combo out one time and plans on picking up wanderwine prophets this week so he can finally pull off what he regularly sees the rest of our group do
>Spikes more than a frat boy that didn't get laid last week
Feel bad for him. Least he got his wizards.

My Daretti deck went from being super casual to almost full competitive.

What site does this?

This is on tappedout, and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their ratings. It also doesn't always pop up on your deck.

its cheap as fuck on magiccardmarket, i got mine from there

I don't see it on any of my decks.

Do you ever get tired of posting "OP is a fag" every thread?

Edit>Save>export image and cancel>refresh the page is the voodoo to get it to work if I remember right.

I have a friend in Finland that might be able to help us out then. Unfortunately I'm blessed by capitalism and witnessing it's glory. Might be able to upgrade my dragon deck cheaper considering how stupid some of these spikes are, even with the increased shipping. Guess I'll reach out to him.

>he doesn't want Phyrexia

I don't know whether I should feel proud or embarrassed.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-jank-tyrant/

user, you're playing Sultai, your deck is more competitive by default.

Meanwhile, my absolute weakest deck.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-hatebears-edh-1/

Does this thing just look at the deck's value?

Do you ever get tired of "haha OP"?

We shall go to shitpost hell together.

I'd love some suggestions on how to improve my Angel themed Aurelia deck please.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/20-11-16-Uvo-aurelias-legion/

>inb4 Boros sucks
>inb4 Aurelia is for noobs

I understand and agree, still would love some suggestions.

>comparing weatherlight to shitty league
The skyship had more character development than all of the shitty league members combined. Also, the whole weatherlight group has a lot more story, they probably lost more than they won(that is to be expected, considering what they are up against), differently than the plot armored shitters, and Jace, the Mary Sue.

Also, it makes sense to be phyrexia again, since Karn still wants to beat the shit out of them, and iirc, karn still has the seed of weatherlight inside him, so he may even turn into a ship, who knows. And there are many characters from Dominaria that needs an update in their cards, without to mention that phyrexians were probably the most popular villain in the series, I want to know what is happening in phyrexia.

>include three infinite combos and lots of tutors in my teysa deck
>tappedout considers it casual
>upgrade the edgar precon
>tappedout thinks its competitive

>Aurelia
You're my nigger. Remove cluestone and darksteel ingot, rocks that cost 3 are just too slow, get diamonds, fellwar stone or mind stone instead.

Your sunforger package is lacking a counterspell, pick a red blast or Lapse of Certainty.

Extra combat step spells are a trap with Aurelia, in my experience it's already a big challenge to mount a decent offensive force and get the two combat steps from Aurelia on a board where you can attack for good value. Getting to that point and then having mana to cast an extra combat step spell, that's too Magic Christmasland for me.

>Jace, the Mary Sue.
That's wrong though. There are tons of other things you can rag on about with the Gatewatch, but Jace is by no means a Mary Sue. He's depicted as a big dork who ends up being useless in battle pretty often because they keep running into enemies that he can't mind control or illusion to win against. He was actively a detriment to the team in the battle against Bolas. Flavortext Jace and story Jace are two very different characters.

thanks man this helps a lot!

Phyrexia isn't really a thing with Dominaria anymore. Karn's beef is currently with New Phyrexia on Mirrodin and we don't know how that's turned out for him yet. Dominaria was pretty Phyrexia free last we saw of it and I doubt Phyrexia will be seen there when we return to Dominaria. And many of those characters who you say need an update are likely dead. The Weatherlight Saga was quite some time ago chronologically and unless they were a planeswalker or their time was fucked with (like Jhoira or Jodah), they've likely died of old age.

Super smug story jace when?

yeah i was dumb and didn't get the patron thinking it wouldnt spike too much, well fuck me now right?

Tell me about it. Fucking 27 dollars for Dromoka.

>Phyrexia isn't really a thing with Dominaria anymore. Karn's beef is currently with New Phyrexia on Mirrodin and we don't know how that's turned out for him yet.

10 to 1 odds that the Return to Dominaria will be about Karn coming home to plan for dealing with New Phyrexia and getting reinforcements. Jhoira will probably be involved.

Hey, what do you guys think would be a fun interactive commander?
I'm tired of my Food Chain Prossh.

Except that Jace won almost every single battle he was in, and was in many of the recent blocks as cover boy even. I agree that he is not as absurd as wizards sells him, but he is far from being a dork pushover. I mean, wizards even gave the credit to beating eldrazis to him, since he discovered how to prevent them from escaping and practically assembled the gatewatch.

>Want to make Sultai Elf tribal.
>The only Sultai Elf legend is banned.
>Doesn't look like elves are on the horizon until Dominaria.
>Even then, it is doubtful we'll get a GBU Urborgian elf legend.

Just use the gorgon as your general you turbofag

Or don't. Damia players are the worst. After Derevi players.

Jesus. I bought one for $6 just a bit before release day.

I'm just hoping that Jhoira and Teferi get new cards and Jodah finally gets one.

He's a leader, but he's been pretty useless in battle in the last few blocks. He did nothing on Innistrad because he was almost mind controlled by Emrakul, he showed up at the end of Kaladesh and mostly only to say "Gatewatch, assemble!", and he was useless against the zombies on Amonkhet. The only thing worthwhile he did on Amonkhet was helping against Razaketh and being a human radio. Sure, he helped come up with a plan on Zendikar, but that's one of his few accomplishments. He spends most of the time bumbling around and things end up working out because someone helps him out. Several of the stories paint him as an actual awkward dork who isn't good with people. The guy uses illusions to make himself look less tired when he's overworking himself with paperwork on Ravnica, which he has currently abandoned. He's by no means a Mary Sue.

How do you fight strong commanders like Prossh and Edric in a depowered meta (no infinites, no staples beyond $5)?
I can sometimes make the table scoop through pillowfort but the game gets sleepy. Any combat-based commander/decklist recommendations?

So is Goyf a bad card in commander? I never see it on EDHrec.

The last info on Karn was that Venser sacrificed himself to bring Karn back, this made Karn mad about the phyrexians and now wants to beat them down.

>they are likely dead
I actually think that some of them are still alive, somewhere, especially since Dominaria had a lot of time shit happening on it, with time magic, time rifts, and all that shit.

Here's who really needs a new card.
It's a mix of being underwhelming since it's just a plain beater, and being 70+ dollars. With 120 life to chew through it's not a powerhouse, and one Relic of Progenitus or Tormod's Crypt and it's back to square one. Add on that you can't run four of it as a T2 threat and it's just not as potent in Commander as it is in 1v1 formats.

For Prossh, this generally works.

>no infinites
>Prossh

I don't mind Phyrexia. It's Phyrexia on Dominaria Domination and Phyrexiafags I have a problem with.

>Prossh
>Must be food chain!
Even without Food Chain Prossh is still the best Jund legend by far.

A character being a mary sue doesn't mean that it is omnipotent. I call him mary sue, because he is basically Batman of the jacetice league, and batman IS a mary sue.

>Store nearby my place of work still hasn't gotten their order of Commander 2017 boxes

The place is such a mess it's kind of cute.

Does your shop sell them at msrp? If not, just buy them at Wal-Mart or whatever.

Except Jace has several character flaws that are actively detrimental to his performance. A mary Sue's character flaws are underplayed and never actually end up mattering. Mary Sues are loved, liked, or at least respected by nearly every other character for no real reason and can often do most things well. Jace is none of those things. He's a big dork who isn't useful in most combat situations and is mostly good for being a leader and doing paperwork.

The pillowfort deck that I mentioned does have MLD but I only use it when I'm too desperate to win. Any combat-oriented commander recommendations?

Seriously, the Prossh deck doesn't have an infinite. Wins through shit like Triumph of the Hordes, Kolaghan, etc.

Bruh, Batman somehow being the most powerful character in DC, the smartest, the richest, and a hit with the ladies is what makes him a Mary Sue.

Jaces character traits are autistic team leader that can mess with people's minds. Which means he is smart, weaker than the rest of the team most of the time, and shouts jacetice leauge assemble!

You can hate him for his autism, or the fact that he is part of the super best friends, but he isn't a Mary Sue, and you should learn what the phrase means

A little bit under, actually. Also the place is about a one minute detour from way home from work if I hit a red light while the closest Wal-Mart is like a half hour detour.

Damn, I can't type today.

A one minute detour on the way home from work is what I meant to say.

Cut:
>Divine Dflection, Aurelia’s Fury, Comet Storm
These would be better suited in decks that can afford to leave mana open during their opponents’ turns or generate a shitload during your own. Boros wants to spend it’s mana to play fatties, especially with your theme.
>Cloud Key
You already have Oketra’s Monument and cost reduction artifacts are for people casting multiples of the given type in a single turn. This likely won’t be the case with your deck.
>Basandra
Gorgeous art, but has no synergy with the instants in your deck. Grand Abolisher does what you want her to do, better.
>Frontline Medic
Redundant with Iroas and more vulnerable
>Skirmisher
6 mana for a 4/4 is not particularly amazing. The keywords she can provide are all found elsewhere in your deck for Odric to spread
>Arbiter
Too much for too little control,7 mana should bump you up ahead of everyone at the table
>Planar Bridge
A very fair card, but I’d say you’re better off dropping it for something you will consistently get to use the same turn it comes out
>World at War
If you don’t win the turn you cast this, it is almost guaranteed to do little on rebound since you’ll in all likelihood draw the hate of the whole table.

I sent you a review on tappedout. Easier, don't have to look up all the referenced cards.

Add:
>Skullclamp
You’re in Boros, you need the most broken equipment in the game to patch your draws.
>Mindstone
Early ramp and late draw
>Legion’s Initiave
Your creatures are your win-con. This provides protection from enemy (and your own) boardwipes/removal while giving a baby anthem and can even be used to enable haste & reset Iona’s Color, Twilights -1/-1s, Flip Red Akroma, or perma-exile with Angel of Serenity
>Cloudshift
Another flavorful card that functions similarly to Legion’s Initiative EXCEPT with the addition of milking out an extra (third) combat step with your commander. (Cast it before Aurelia Attacks in the Second Combat step, she becomes a new object, and attacks for the ‘first’ time again [Eldrazi Displacer works similarly but must be done in response to her untap trigger, also requires anus mana])
>Wear//Tear
A must. It is arguably the most efficient instant in Boros
>Hanwier Battlements/Hanwier Garrison
The land offers an extra outlet for haste (including opponents’ creatures which may offer political power) and the soldier provides little dudes you can Clamp late game.
>Scroll Rack
Together with land tax, you will be able to sculpt hands better than Bluefags
>Godo, Bandit Warlord
Extra combat step, is a human (Herald of War), and can give you useful tools (sunforger/skullclamp)
>Sun Titan
Not angelic, but can reccur lost lands and utility permanents (sphere, clustone, mindstone, MOM)
>Reya Dawnbringer
You’re doing Angel tribal senpai, wtf where is she?
>Emeria Shepherd/ Emeria Sky Ruin
That many Plains demands these two cards
>Kjeldoran Outpost
Allows you to generate value even when hellbent, amazing synergy with skullclamp

Thanks guys, much appreciated!!!

gonna go over these later and make a buy list to fix this puppy up.

you're all awesome!

Can that stack? I mean, what happens if bushido 1 is printed on a card multiple times does it +1/+1 for each instance of bushido 1 on it?

yes, they trigger separately and are cumulative

who should my commander be if I want to play removal tribal

I want to be able to blow up any troublesome permanent, maybe have a counterspell or two just in case

Orzhov or Esper
Senn Triplets for maximum salt

Yeah, you can slap as many instances of bushido 1 on something and they'll all work.

Is sphnx tribal fun/viable for a casual group?

I'm OP not the other user. Maybe people just don't like your shitposting.

Esper if you want counterspells, orzhov otherwise. Ri beret for Esper, ayli for orzhov.

Should be fine for casual. Unesh is legit a pretty decent reward for building a sphinx deck. Making each sphinx also do a mini fact or fiction is no joke.

Is he a better choice than sharuum? i heard she was the best sphinx commander but her ability doesnt seem as strong as unesh (maybe i dont understand it eh)

Sharuum is good for artifact decks, but Unesh is better if you want to go Sphinx tribal.

oh right on, thanks for the help!

Depends. You cab do shatuum but itd be an artifact deck screwing itself by having a sphinx subtheme, but your non sphinx plan is better and sharuum is a powerful card in general and gets you all sphinxes due to esper. Unesh is a dedicated tribal deck that better rewards you for it doing sphinxes (your secondary plan is probably high tide and dramatic/scepter), but you lose the white and black sphinxes (which are most of the good ones, including sharuum herself).

Stax prossh?

What commander has the best art? I don't care if the card is even good, I want to smugly put down the Michael Angelo of Legends down and stare at it gloriously.

Yes, just make sure you have enough ramp. If Unesh dies twice thats 10 mana you'll have to pay to cast it. Also, put Stormtide Leviathan in the deck.

Jusge promo avacyn

what's the difference between having your deck be good stuff and having it be synergistic?

>smartest, richest, hit with the ladies
Batman is not the smartest, richest, and even being a hit with the ladies is questionable(I'm not even going to talk about being the most powerful, since batman wouldn't even be considered in the top 10 even if he had all the time in the world to plan beforehand). Batman is a mary sue because of stuff like "I have a contingency plan against anyone on the Justice League" or simply "How I did that? I'm Batman.".

Jace also has many plans, and is also portrayed as being handsome, mysterious, just like batman.

>Mary Sues are loved, liked or at least respected by nearly every other character
Jace is respected by many, especially those on the gatewatch, otherwise he wouldn't be the leader. Which is more of an accomplishment than Batman, since a lot of the members in the justice league doubted his usefulness at first.

Batman also doesn't do much when battles starts getting on Superman powerlevel, actually, in one of its battles, Batman was praised by the enemy because he was able to dodge one of his attacks, but that was basically all he did in terms of direct confrontation, as opposed to superman doing superman things.

I don't think you guys understand what being a mary sue is. Batman is a prime example of a Mary Sue, and doesn't fit your descriptions of Mary Sues.

Silas Renn.

Goodstuff are just cards that are good on their own, but they don't really come together to do anything. A goodstuff deck is the sum of its parts. Each individual card does something good, but that's it. A synergistic deck has many somewhat weaker cards that come together to pull off big plays or achieve more powerful effects.