media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Have you ever adapted material from a different RPG for D&D 5e? How did it go?

Other urls found in this thread:

kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I was thinking like Asha from Iji, so having a bunch of teleporting illusions WOULD help that

Easily enough, then again it was pulling a monster out of 3.5 and just looking at the hitpoints and ability scores.

3.5e bastards are one of the main reasons all the good things 4e did are absent in 5e.

I still think it would have been better for WOTC to build upon 4e as opposed to just taking 3.5e, stripping it down and making baby's first DND.

I may have players returning to a dragon lair via the 700ft. 5/6 submerged underground tunnel

Dick move or dickest move to have the dragon lying in wait 500ft. along the tunnel? It can breathe underwater

make a random table for where the dragon is waiting in it's lair at that time. Let the dice decide their fate.
nothing is stopping you from playing 4E if you want to.

If it has divination spells, then let it lie in wait in the tunnel. It probably fucking knows.

Anyone play with the Plane Shift PDFs that WotC puts out?

Are they any good/safe to multiclass with?

Which one in particular are you looking at?

that'll teach the wizard from neglecting protection from scrying.

Any of them really. Amonkhet's Zeal Cleric seems like it would be pretty fun to play.

Except no one is playing 4e anymore and no new content is being made for it.

They should have kept minions and skill challenges at least.

Zeal cleric is basically just a slightly retooled tempest cleric. I played one for a bit, and while the occasional maximized fireball was a little ridiculous, it's probably overall fine to use

Why is the light cleric so good at destroying hordes?

Anyone have monsters of the orient from dmsguild? Also does anyone keep a ttoge of dmsguild pdfs that have been shared out on here?

They get burning hands and fireball and their channel divinity also does aoe damage. Their 17th level gives their enemies disadvantage on saves vs fire and radiant spells too so that includes the aforementioned aoe abilities.

They also have the usual cleric turn/destroy undead

>no on is playing 4e anymore
color me surprised
>they should have kept minions
then put minions into your game, it's not like WotC will send the edition police to your home if you do.
>skill challenges
I wasn't a big fan of those but again, it's easy enough to integrate into 5th ed.

Ok, was always interested in pen and paper rpgd, however never had an opportunity to play one. Have just reacently found out about D&D 5th edition starter set and bought it. In two weeks me and my friends (who also have not played any rpgs and have no prior experiences with them) are going to start an included adventure in the set and I'm going to be a DM. Does anyone have any tips for me, because as of now it looks very intimidating?

A simple Alarm spell or a glyph of warding with sending would do it too

Yah read the starter set and the phb

I'm running Storm King's Thunder and my players have just about finished with Nightstone. For people that have run it, did you use the magic flying cloud giant castle? I really don't think my players are going to just walk in there just because he lowered some ropes.
They are also obsessed with the missing obelisk from Nightstone, which is both hilarious and pretty understandable. I plan to lead them on across the whole adventure in pursuit of this red herring's purpose.

Where is that optional rule for Sorcerers? The one about their sorcerer points?

You mean spell points?

Whoops, yeah, it was a spell slot variant. Have you played with it over spell slots?

the real key to DMing is being prepared and organization. It's hard to know what it is you will need to have ready for easy reference when starting but luckily the boxed set has everything necessary at your fingertips. No need to sift through 6+ books of reference material.

Describe the scene, then ask what the players do. Resolve their actions, be it through dice rolls or roleplay. Maybe your players go off the rails big time, in that case do not hesitate to say: "hey guys, we're all new to this. give me a second to think of what to do"

Nope, I've played a sorcerer in 5e for almost a year now, and I really wish I could have. It would have made sorcerer fantastic.

How do npc react to magic users and other weird stuff adventurers have? like how would people react to a talking bear in forgotten realms?

Neat. I'm DMing and have never used the optional rule. We have a Warlock and Druid in the party but i am introducing a Wild Magic Sorcerer and I thought it fit perfectly for the Sorcerer class.

I don't feel like I'd be stepping on the Druid's toes at all here, would I? If the Druid is using slots and the Sorcerer using points?

I've got the opportunity to play a 15th level campaign and I've got to make a character. What would YOU play and why?

If it lands and a cloud staircase comes down and they still don't just have the wizard call out in a bothered boice to come on hurry up

Its also not really a red herring because its tied directly to the cloud giant plot

Half of them were down for it and half of them werent. It was okay because the Goliath knocked the monk out and dragged him onboard the castle

Is this sorc an npc

If so how or why would the players ever know it used spell points

Sorcerer might feel a little OP to everyone else. I play a WM Sorc and my party thinks I am overpowered, but that is literally only because I power gamed my build and took good spells with good meta magic, even then, it isnt that good.

No, I'm introducing a new player.

They would probably know the player used spell points

a warlock because why not?

>Party thinks a wild magic sorcerer is overpowered

How does it feel playing with retards user?

Forgot to say my party thinks I'm way to strong without even using the optional rule.

however you want them to act, desu. Also shape shifted druids can't normally talk. Depending on what region you are in people have different attitudes towards magic. Some places are more magical than others, but most average people probably have a better safe than sorry attitude towards that stuff.

Do Chain Pact Fey Warlocks make good thiefs and tricksters?

Pretty shitty, just because I twin haste, twin blight occasionally, and use quicken with fireball to get off another cantrip, that means my DPS is fucking out of the park, and sorcerer needs nerfed compared to Wizard.

So it seems to me that celestials are linked to divine magic, fiends are linked to black or evil magic, and fey are linked to nature magic, but what creatures are linked to arcane magic?

Dragons, somewhat

Glyph of Warding some item + Catapulting said item? Is this viable RAW or does this need some rule of cool?

Humans

Making a level 6 Sword and Board Paladin, Variant Human of course.
My array at the moment is 16/10/13/8/10/16, before taking Feats or ASI, and I was wondering which two of the following are the most important to maximising my effectiveness:
Shield Master to knock people the fuck down and stab them on the ground with my extra attack.
Resilient (Constitution) to bump my constitution to 14, and gain save proficiency for concentration checks.
And finally, using the ASI to bump my strength to 18 for that juicy +4.

Can you name any good Low-Level modules that aren't LMOP? I need things for a third level party.

Show them your spell list, show them how small and useless it is, just like their dicks.

Sorcs need a buff.

If you know what you're doing Death House, if not, Sunless Citadel

Remember glyph of warding rules regarding being moved.

I have, I even play with a god damn Lore Wizard, yet I am the one who is judged for powergaming.

Why is Tyranny of Dragons the worst adventure? I have no interest in running it but I'm curious as to why it is considered bad

You play with idiots

Should I dip 2 in lock for hex monk or just do variant human magic initiate for hex?

>You decide what triggers the glyph when you cast the spell. For glyphs inscribed on a surface, the most typical triggers include touching or standing on the glyph, removing another object covering the glyph, approaching within a certain distance of the glyph, or manipulating the object on which the glyph is inscribed. For glyphs inscribed within an object, the most common triggers include opening that object, approaching within a certain distance of the object, or seeing or reading the glyph. Once a glyph is triggered, this spell ends.

From what I see it seems to be only an issue if it's laid on an "object" instead of a "surface". So, it should be possible to place the glyph on the surface of a dagger or dart and have it trigger on distance from me or some other glyph I keep on myself.

What's the best full caster for Out of the Abyss, end game?

Should I pick up Tales from the Yawning Portal? How does it compare to LMoP?

What would you say is the most powerful class in 5e?
My vote goes to Bard. Want to hold up the moon as it comes crashing down to the earth? Let me just grant you a +d8 to your strength roll no problem. Additional +d4 if they took Magic Initiate for Guidance.

If you want to show them overpowered get 2 levels in warlock and start quickening agonising repelling eldritch blasts.

>How does it compare to LMoP?
They're different things entirely. Yawning Portal is a collection of dungeons and not one cohesive campaign like Lost Mines is.

I dont think anyone is likely to let you say you're putting a glyph on the "surface" of a dart.

With a custom background can I take thieve's cant even if I'm not a rogue?

No

Odd request, but does anyone have a pdf or collection of monster art for the more traditional RPG monsters like kobolds and giants and shit?
Alternatively, what bestiary or set of bestiaries has the best art? Frankly some of the 5e art is just trash

>If you choose an object, that object must remain in its place, if the object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken and the spell ends without being triggered.

Sure if you limit the range of the dart to 10 feet.

Why? Just curious.

>what bestiary or set of bestiaries has the best art

My opinion: the 2E AD&D Monster Compendium/Manual. It doesn't have the charm of the "orcs carrying doors as shields"/"every female humanoid-ish monster has her tits out" of the 1st Edition Monster Manual, but it also doesn't have the shittiness of the 3rd or 4th edition ones.

Full disclosure: I think the 5E Monster Manual has the best fucking hobgoblin art I have seen in any *D&D product in, well, ever.

Yes, yes you can I think

I believe the Criminal Background (and maybe the urchin) does just that

I think you're thinking of thieves' tools

>Choose your languages from the Standard Languages table, or choose one that is common in your campaign. With your DM's permission, you can instead choose a language from the Exotic Languages table or a secret language, such as thieves' cant or the tongue of druids.

ask your DM

no existing background gives thieves cant

that's the sentence I was looking to find.
Thanks!

I will admit the HOBBU-GOBBURRINS and their SUPERIOR GOBBURRIN TACTICSARU have grown on me, but I still hate those ugly little not!Chinese gobs

Making a Vengeance Paladin to replace my Ranger who just left the party.
Heard a lot about Polearm Paladins are gods and was wondering how SnS and 2H compare, because I'm a lot more keen on the flavour of sword-wielding Paladins.

Am I a filthy fucking degenerate for playing a female Tabaxi

Technically if you put a glyph on an object it has to be something that closes - as per RAW. So books are fine, darts are not.

Is guild artisan the best background for a merchant?

If you had to ask, the answer is yes.
But yes.

Is Asmodeus the most powerful being in 5e?

>rules a plane full of scheming demons
>plans to conquer the multiverse

All the other gods do what? Compete for the most followers on the material plane? They don't even have their own plane of existence to rule.

Reposting,

Does anyone have that screen cap involving the world not having any paladins, except some showed up from the Judeo-Christan god, and they were scary.

>demons
You had one job nigga

>devils
Hey i'm not Asmodeus to be perfect.

wouldn't guild merchant be the best background for a merchant?

Do you not give a player XP if they don't turn up?

my dm keeps people even because it's a massive pain in the ass catching them back up, but he also doesn't really get people who no-show without a decent reason.

bumping for help

I ran the god that crawls as a oneshot.

If they have a legitimate reason for not showing up then I do. Otherwise, no.

That sounds neat. How did it go?

I'm really struggling with the challenge rating for encounters. If I have a ranger, a rogue and a fighter in my party who are all at level 4 is it fair to throw three bugbears at them as a basically surviveable encounter? Or a bugbear and four hobgoblins? It seems like a lot for them to handle, am I doing the addition wrong?

I always give the mechanical control over his character to another player while he's gone. No penalties whatsoever, if somebody doesn't show frequently he gets booted. Mixed-level parties are no fun.

Just declare low level enemies dead once they get hit.

The beautiful thing about paladin is that a majority of your damage comes from smites and oath of vengeance gives you plenty of support to make you more lethal. Going sword n board is viable since you get that bonus AC making you a force of nature in the battlefield. It's true that polearms and greatswords do more damage but not so much that it overshadows sword n board

Wizard. It's always wizard. Why even ask?

I'm pretty sure CR was made assuming 4 people, Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard. Your group has 2 martials and a half caster with one heal available at any level, they really don't have a lot of staying power, so keep that in mind.

That's what I was hoping I'd hear, I love me a good sword and board crusader.

worse comes to worst, test an encounter by running through with their characters by themselves, it's time consuming but atleast you can be sure they can handle it if they don't play like idiots

>all the good things 4e did
like what?

>DM is doing this
>suddenly switches to milestone
>two players are now a level behind forever
>says he won't make them equal

Variant human.

That's actually a really good idea, thanks! Yeah it was, that's the problem. I had them hunting zombies down one by one last time but with the rogue's sneak attack bonuses it was a cakewalk. I want to give them challenging combat without killing them all!

try kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder