Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Undead Edition
Tell us about the undead in your campaigns! How are they used, do the PCs use them much, are they entirely mindless?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/JLu5xXML
Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/5nAAfr26
archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Page of Spell Knowledge1st
archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Druid Nature Fang
archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Erastil's Blessing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Eredin Bréacc Glas
>A Skeleton

Thinking about retraining a feat, namely net proficiency

(Soundstriker) Bard 6 / (Zen Archer) Monk 1

Str 10
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 16

F1: Lingering Performance
FHB: Improved Initiative
F3: Additional Traits
FZA: Perfect Strike
FZAB: Precise Shot
>F5: EWP Net
F7: Fast Learner (+1 HP & Skillpoint in fav class)

Skills: diplo 16, intim 13, bluff 18, sense motive 18, knowledges 12, linguistics 12

Traits:
Reactionary: +2 init
Life of Toil: +1 fort
Inspired: 1/day roll twice on skill check
Guiding Spirit 1/day* roll twice on next d20 roll

Combat: drop inspire courage, use net/tangleshot arrow to entangle, use weird words for 4d6 + cha sonic damage, use scorching ray wand, buff allies, aid another, throw net, help complete mission objective (e.g. take an AoO so another player can run safely by to seize the macguffin)

Instead of that, I was thinking about taking point blank shot so that I could get rapid shot to entangle a few enemies with the tangleshot arrows, cunning so I get more skill points, or a +2 bonus on my saves or something.

Advice, criticism, suggestions, hate crimes?

>Post elf
>Call it skeleton

Dwarf propaganda is getting out of hand, damnit. Or is this hobgoblins? I bet it's both!

>(Soundstriker) Bard 6 / (Zen Archer) Monk 1

Wait until my game goes more than five sessions before you call me a personality.

I know man, that +2 to all my saves, always considered arm, longbow proficiency, and precise shot without needing PBS was really fucking stupid especially 'cause now I almost always hit with Weird Words for 4d6 + 3 sonic damage (soon to be 8d6 + 6) and other ranged touch attacks, and when I fire a tangleshot arrow at the boss, I just about always hit and entangle 'cause I can perfect strike. I mean shit, I got the equivalent of about 7 feats with that dip, and I know that I shouldn't have been so fucking retarded.

I'm saying you should have just gone full zen archer, dumbass.

That game has been two years in the making, you don't need to run a game to become a celebrity.

I was a bard first. I wasn't looking to be a gattling gun.

>he went soundstriker first

>Undead in the campaign
More frequent than normal due to the fact that magic from other planes tends to seep in more frequently in this world than in other places, and as such there's a lower threshold for how awful your death has to be for your corpse to rise.

>How are they used
not very much considering most high end necromancy is outlawed by the wizard guild, and those who are allowed to raise dead need to go through fucktons of red tape, alongside being closely monitored for bad behavior and having to register every undead under their control.

>Do PC's use them?
No because A I've yet to have someone in the party play a necromancer and B I've yet to have a party at all because I haven't really had much opportunity to go scouting for folks to host for.

>Are they entirely mindless?
Most of the time but sometimes an undead will rise with enough memory from its former life still in the body to convince it that its still the same person and give it a personality of a sort. Normally thats enough to just make them as crazy as any normal undead, but there is a whole city run by a lich, a mummy and a ghoul underground full of intelligent undead who have more or less come to terms with their fate and desire simply to be left alone rather than to kill living things on sight out of jealous rage. They can also come to intelligence by any method of raising, so it adds a layer of dubiousness to people who raise undead, as they can still be thralled while intelligent, meaning their forced to do shit against their will. For stuff like that the wizard guild just has a policy of "report it and hand it over" as they don't like the knowledge of intellectual undead being a public matter.

>undead in your campaign

Depends, if they're mindless, they're pretty much just killing machines that stand around doing nothing if there's nobody around. If they're not mindless, then they're pretty much normal people, most but not all of whom are evil. They still have goals and dreams, they just also have to deal with whatever weaknesses their new form might have, such as a vulnerability to sunlight or a hunger for blood.

>how are they used

The only ones to appear so far are the mindless undead crated by the party necromancer.

>Do the PCs use them much

See above answer. The other PCs accept it but forced the necromancer to agree to certain limitations after they found out, though I think everybody is fine about it OOC. I worry slightly that the player will want to go full minionmancer on us once they can actually manage it, even though I have told them before that I don't want them to bring more than one undead minion into combat with them.

>Are they entirely mindless
Most of them are, but they don't have to be. I have a lich planned to show up later in the campaign. Said lich is being controlled by someone else who found his tomb before the PCs, and after they defeat the lich and the mastermind slips away, the lich's skull will remain and probably end up sticking with the party, tutoring the party's necromancer and also be able to tell the party about some plot-important ancient history for my custom setting. He's slightly senile from old age, loves bad jokes, and (for now) can't regenerate like a normal lich because of complicated plot reasons.

I'm one of those faggots who doesn't have a problem with the idea of non-evil undead, even if most undead should be evil.

I was a regular bard until my lovely barbarian was absent and we had a sorc step in. He could not do shit and it was nearly a TPK, so I decided that I needed to be able to do damage. DM won't let me rebuild my character, so I was stuck with the 14 dex, 16 cha that I had (second character I ever made for pathfinder). Getting the ability to fire into melee seemed like a real fucking challenge as I wanted to keep improved init and lingering performance. Bard has been super valuable too. Timely Inspiration and Gallant Inspiration has saved the party's bacon on more than a few occasions. With lore master, I get a 24 on all of my knowledge checks, and I'll be increasing that here shortly. In social interactions, I lead, and have been pivotal for success. I am happy with my choice.

Also, what the fuck is wrong with her.

Well, my friends, it's that time of day again. I am 100% certain you weren't expecting this one. It's...an archetype that make Rangers actually GOOD.
>Totem Archetypes v1 (SSDK Materials)
pastebin.com/5nAAfr26

Oh, and also a spontaneous Charisma-casting fluid druid and a shaman who has bones instead of spirit animals. Or fluid shamans and boner druids. And face stealers. Rangers are all about collecting scalps. Who knew?

Also, I sometimes I fuckin' sing for the group. I love that shit, even if my voice isn't so good.

And here is a guy who makes me think that the Stormwind Fallacy might not be a real fallacy.

>Tell us about the undead in your campaigns! How are they used, do the PCs use them much, are they entirely mindless?

They're the Byzantines of the setting, the remnant of the continental empire that still broods over old slights and older honors who turned to necromancy to keep themselves alive after a genetically-engineered superplague was unleashed on the world by Space Elves who wanted to wipe out the natives before colonization. Many of those who lack the ambition or ability of their betters turn to asceticism to spend their eternity, living in dusty tombs or in the middle of blasted deserts where they might achieve enlightenment over vast centuries of contemplation.

I'm so sick of playing this game, how do I get my group to go back to 3.5 (which is better)? I miss the days of:
>no favored-class mechanic shit
>no traits / flaws considered core part of chargen
>no fucking CMB / CMD that gets pumped out the ass
>no weird-ass differences to the classes

I mean Pathfinder isn't even an improvement over 3.5, it's just a bunch of different nitpick rules while solving none of the game's problems. The skill system is a bit better and the skill list is a bit better. That's it. I'd play fifth edition but it doesn't have NPC classes / NPC rules and it's so contrived and centered around the players that it sucks even worse. I fucking hate 5e players I wish they'd all fucking hang themselves. Even just listening them talk about how their shit edition is "sooo much better" just because it's D&D basic with actual balance and how that validates boring chargen and nonexistent NPC building rules and pussifying the game, fucking fills me with rage.

Wow, user you're such a
fucking faggot holy shit

>t's D&D basic with actual balance and how that validates boring chargen and nonexistent NPC building rules and pussifying the game
My thoughts exactly.

She has a bagel in her head. Do you not?

Why do you need NPC building rules. Can't you just yank some generic fighter bandit from a book and say "here's a guard"? Why do you need NPC classes specifically. If the NPC is capable of stuff they're capable of it, just give them a class that fits.

If they're some random peasant they just die if something breaths on them funny because you know, random peasant.

No, and I am fucking pissed about it. I know that it is common to remove the bagel in boy's head for "hygenic reasons" but it really is bodily mutilation. I am still upset with my parents about that because I know that my life would be more pleasurable if I still had my bagel.

Saline Injection

So most inhabitants of the outer plains don't really have regular ways to get to and from their home to the material plain right? Save stuff like some demon taking levels in some spellcasting class and learning planar shift or something like that?

Except, you know, the fact that the vast majority of above-dretch-tier outsiders usually have Plane Shift somehow.

But yes, there's a lot of outsiders that lack the ability to Planeshift by default. But generally not the ones you care about.

>He's slightly senile from old age, loves bad jokes, and (for now) can't regenerate like a normal lich because of complicated plot reasons.

Making ancient undead that had to snuff out the souls of hundreds to assume their present form act like senile old people who tell jokes is retarded and so are you. Undead are suppose to be scary and evil. Do whatever with your own custom setting but I'm judging you for having bad tastes.

Things degrade, Steven

Does anyone have the PDF for "unleashing the untouchable?"

Row row, fight the power?

I can't even build a wizard NPC, because PC v.s. PC damage is so broken that it would probably wipe the party. Even an NPC fighter is almost too much it feels like.

>If they're some random peasant they just die if something breaths on them funny because you know, random peasant.

This kind of fucking bullshit is why rats can take over a village in Pathfinder.

90% of them are just magical puppets because proper undeaddery save for ghosts and liches are illegal, and even being either of those two is a massive legal and academic hassle and being discovered as an illegal ghost gets you a quick trip to the nearest priest for a resurrection so you can be thrown to a jail and being an illegal lich gets you a quick trip to the demi-god lich for a summary Being-Turned-To-Ash-And-Being-Stuffed-Inside-Your-Own-Phylactery

Incidentally the most profitable industry among the necromancers as having a bank specializing in phylacteries.

Except Pathfinder is shit for NOT being streamlined and balanced. D&D 5e is streamlined and balanced, but the rest of it is shit. And both sides strawman the other to prop up their shitty fucking game, when in reality a middle ground would be better than both, but the fucking cockchafers at Wizards wanted to pander to grogs and normies so they made 5e a pussified shitfest. You can't even die in Adventurer's League because it's a giant kike scheme to sell D&D merchandise.

When a lich degrades you get something like a demilich. When a zombie degrades, you get a skeleton/wight. When a vampire degrades, you get Nosferatu. They don't turn senile, they run into something even less human than they were before.

Pathfinder isn't really meant to be simulationist like that. Rats don't take over villages because rats don't take over villages.

Unless of course, they're Skaven tier.
>I can't even build a wizard NPC, because PC v.s. PC damage is so broken that it would probably wipe the party.
>Wizards
>Damage
This meme aside, PC's in modules fight enemies with class levels all the fucking time. Don't give them PC wealth unless their a boss and don't optimize them super fucking hard and you won't murdererize them.

Undead in Pathfinder are FUCKING RETARDED especially if you convert them from 3.5. Why the FUCK does a zombie have 10 Charisma? It can't lead people. Why the fuck do undead get Charisma bonus to hit points? That was a fucking OPTIONAL rule in 3.5 for CERTAIN undead who were fucking INCORPOREAL. Now it works for all of them? What the fuck? Also explain why the fuck undead don't have Constitution, when they are among the toughest fucking monsters because they don't have vital organs. Why not just give them a fucking Con score, holy shit. I convert an undead from 3.5, like that fucking dessicator there, and it ends up with half as much HP and I have to change it's Charisma just to make it have half as much HP instead a tenth as much. FUCK PATHFINDER.

"Compatible with 3.5," my ASS.

>This meme aside, PC's in modules fight enemies with class levels all the fucking time. Don't give them PC wealth unless their a boss and don't optimize them super fucking hard and you won't murdererize them.
Are you talking about 5e or pathfinder? cause pathfinder i have no issue with the NPC building rules except that they stacked more shit ontop of 3.5 that it didn't need.

I was talking about Pathfinder. Does this not work in 5e? Surely there has to be some generic human bandit, evil wizard, helpful cleric stat blocks?

I'm hoping to be an undead in a game soon!

There are, but if you want to create your own there are no rules or guidelines, it's just freeform "give them hit dice" shit that is boring. Half the fun I got from DM prep was making unique NPC enemies. Was the only way that I got to use half the chargen content.

So you want to leave your campaign by turning your character into an enemy NPC?

No, as the GM has expressly approved the idea, as has the party.

It's in the Forgotten Realms, and one of the PCs is a cultist of Velsharoon.

I'm going to be using them a lot after the PCs get to level 7.

They can use tactics and maneuvers.

Now that I've typed that all out, I realize that there won't be enough room to bring Larloch into it until 1372 DR. The PCs would be working for him unknowingly to fight Shadovar influence in the Inner Sea.

>tfw wrote app to starstone
>tfw know it's a mediocre draft 1
Do I still post it?

Do you ever have your players get attacked by foes much weaker then them when they're at higher levels? If so do you even bother rolling join battle or just narrate the fight away?

I think it's suppose to be that undead are not held together and kept "alive" by their biology anymore, but rather by magic and their force of will/strong desire. Admittedly, that still doesn't explain mindless undead.

Of course, user. How else are we supposed to judge you?

Yes, if you post it you can PM the DM for their opinion and get feedback on how to improve it in a way that's actually more likely to get you in the game.

Yes, being at the top of the list and posted is paramount to being memed sufficiently to get a spot.

Yes.

It makes them use resources.

I also use the Critical Hit and Fumble decks, so anything can happen.

Just post it, user. All of the current written backstories are fucking garbage anyway, so yours may stand out for being actually decent.

Is the Waifu meme slot still empty?

It's often the most hotly contested spot, but with the right art and pandering to the right fetishes you can still squeeze out the competition.

Is that game even going to be memed? Folks seem pretty sure it's a boozle.

I hope it is. I want to see that bitch Luci cry.

People love to meme obvious boozles in hopes of mining salt when the game flops. Just look at TSS, even the celebs were getting on board with half-hearted apps to build up the hype.

I mean, it's being run by the Krombopulous Michael of Rapes. The General Butt Naked of Pathfinder. The Congolese Soldier of GMing.

Bad example considering Vult is still running

I got a couple of hopefully simple questions.

How do natural attacks, say from Feral Mutagen, stack with natural attacks, say from Tiefling alternate race trait Maw or Claw?

How would it stack with normal manufactured weapons?

Is prehensile tail a hand for the requirement of accelerated drinker?

In one of my games they're full-on Bestiary in style, and one of the PCs uses them as combat servitors.

In another game, we've only heard rumblings of a vampire, but they were pretty intimidating rumblings. Beyond that, we know nothing.

In another game, they're born almost as side effects of rifts between this world and the one beyond, it seems, and they're both tenacious and hostile to the living. Not vanilla Bestiary, but still pretty frightening and malevolent stuff.

In the last game, I'm playing as a long-dead spirit returned to the world to aid a worthy champion.

I want to rape IDrive and Vult

Silly user you can't rape Vult

Question: I'm whipping up a playable undead race for a setting I'm nicknaming "Ghostworld", and I'd like some advice.

Would you ever consider playing a race that CANNOT heal naturally? What sort of benefit would you need to see to consider it?

What if deus vults it?

So who's excited for the veilweaving classes coming out in a few weeks? I was thinking of making a homebrew class with something similar, except it would be based on ki abilities instead of power from the planes.

High nat armor/DR so that I negate a lot of damage so I don't need to heal much.

Natural wellsprings of negative energy "pools" so the party could find one and heal even if we can't sleep somewhere?

>Would you ever consider playing a race that CANNOT heal naturally? What sort of benefit would you need to see to consider it?

Either some way to heal itself (magic, etc. Perhaps have a daily channel negative energy or something) or avoid damage.

Hello I'm new to Pathfinder and need help with a newb question.

I've never played a spellcaster before but I'm trying out a sorcerer. I have 20 charisma. I know the high charisma increases the amount of spells you can use per day but does it also increase the number of spells my character knows or does the number from the known spell table stay the same?

Only spells per day increases with Charisma, not spells known

>Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by her Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.

No dice, user.

You can buy additional spells known with spell pages though.

archivesofnethys.com/MagicWondrousDisplay.aspx?FinalName=Page of Spell Knowledge1st

It specifically calls out that charisma does not increase your spells known. Pick your lineage wisely.
If you're a half elf, pick up paragon surge to get a feat for the duration. Make sure you added the skill focus some knowledge spell (half elves get one for free) and eldritch heritage. Then when you cast Paragon Surge, take improved eldritch heritage to pick up 1 to 3 spells of a level you can cast that are useful in your situation.

Sometimes I like to go check Druid archetypes and click on Nature Fang, just to remind myself that yes. This exists. Someone thought this was a good idea. Someone honest to god looked at this shit and thought "this is fine".

Tell me more. Why is it/isn't a good idea?

I dunno bro, you tell me, I mean, surely nothing can go wrong with pasting Slayer features on top of a Druid, right?: archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Druid Nature Fang
Bonus: archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Erastil's Blessing with a Half-Elf

Alright thanks for clearing the confusion. I just wanted to make sure I set my character up right.

>Want to run a short game
>Have everything I need but some kind of plot
>Can't think of what kind of adventure I want to run
Is this writer's block setting in?

The party are the pallbearers for a friend/acquaintance. However, due to a freak accident, they've been separated from the funeral procession, and must now bring the corpse to the graveyard, dodging hungry ghouls, greedy resurrection men, and the still-living enemies of the deceased who would gladly desecrate the corpse as a final act of revenge.

Is the magic fullplate white and gold or black and blue?

It's black, like the dragon's scale that it's made of.

>his armor isn't made of scales from white, gold, black, AND blue dragons

Truly a true neutral armor if one has ever existed.

If it were really true neutral, it would have a CG dragon's scales like a Brass or Copper instead of the white or black ones, so it could have scales from a LG, CG, LE, and CE dragon.

What powers would it have, though?

>Greedy Resurrection Men
>People that search out the corpses of adventurers/other influential people, resurrect them, and then slap them with a huge bill
You could make a story out of that. The party is sent to go recover the bodies of a famed adventuring party... And of course, to do that, they have to get through the dungeon that killed them.

Power to get the wielder attacked by all kinds of dragons who form unlikely alliances just to kill a monster who goes around killing their kind.

The +2 armor has the Dragon-Defiant property, but also grants one weapon wielded by its wearer the Dragon-Bane property. The armor also gives its wearer Energy Resistance 30 to one type of energy associated with one of the four dragons whose scales were used in/ its construction, though which of the four energy types the resistance applies to can be changed as a move action.

>Bloodforge feats have been added to the PFSRD
>Mixed Blood remains a feat and not a trait.
Why?

>Ghoul
>Humanoid (Undead)
>+2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Cha
>Darkvision (2)
>Undead Immunities (4) [poison, disease, sleep]
>+3 Natural Armor (5)
>DR5/Magic (4)
>Cannot Heal Naturally (-5)
>Negative Energy Affinity (-1)
>Total RP 9

Does this sound reasonable? Is it still too weak? What can be added?

>DR and Natural armor +3
>Reasonable
The fuck are you smoking?

Meth.

So is it reasonable, considering the Cannot Heal Naturally and Negative Energy Affinity thing?

Not really. DR is way powerful early levels and 3 nat armor is huge even at later levels considering that it stacks with everything. You should rather try to find a way to replace natural healing rather than try to avoid healing in the first place since, even with negative energy affinity, it just takes a wand and/or a cleric to heal you the same as your living allies in addition to the fact that you don't need to share.

Hm. So just remove both?

I'd drop the DR since it's way powerful at low levels and way useless at high levels, then create a racial feat that lets them heal by resting (possibly fluffed as something like meditation or the ability to draw up negative energy to the material plane), and then give them a racial bonus feat so people don't feel like it's a feat tax.

Also tune down that natural DR, +1 is more typical for what a standard race should be able to get. Having taken away the DR and most of the AC, they should have some race points left over even with a flexible bonus feat, so give them some other thematic ability. Do these guys not need to eat, drink, or breath? That'd be something cool and thematic without being incredibly useful in too many situations.

>create a racial feat that lets them heal by resting
>and then give them a racial bonus feat
So what would be the point in giving them a Feat that they automatically get? Why not just drop the lack of natural healing entirely?

No, I'm saying give them a flexible bonus feat, like humans get. People can take the racial feat if they want, but if they think they can get by without it, like if they can channel negative energy or something, they can spend it on something else.

Still, I also think that is an inelegant solution. You could make them heal from inflicting damage on other creatures or eating them, but that might make the race more maligned than you want.

The issue is that no other ability is going to adequately balance the lack of an ability to heal naturally. No amount of extra defenses will balance it, because then you'll have people that take the class and find a way to heal anyway, like by being a cleric that channels negative, an antipaladin with touch of corruption, or getting an anatomy doll made for themselves. Any ability you give them to make up for not healing naturally NEEDS to be some other ability that lets them heal in another way. No amount of extra defenses will cut it, especially since no matter how tough your defenses are you're still going to get hurt eventually.

Hmmm. I hear what you're saying.

Alright, so, the race is somewhat based on the character of Duane, from Unsounded. An intelligent wight that has to maintain himself daily due to not naturally healing anymore. I liked the vibe of someone having to actually care about individual injuries because they are slowly rotting away with every hit.

Is there a better way for me to capture that feel with this race? Or would it be better to just remove the no-healing stuff and stick with Negative Energy or something?

Unfortunately, I've never read/watched/whatever Unsounded, so I can't feel that feel you're trying to capture. But if you want them to have to care for individual injuries to keep from rotting, then you might give them a racial ability to perform a special heal check on themselves or others of the same race that restores hit points. At the same time, you should give them a racial bonus to heal checks (because it's something every member of the race would have to be experienced with), and make it so that it's plausible for them to use this sort of heal check to keep themselves patched up. You might even go so far as to just say they regain the same amount of HP some other race would regain from resting if they succeed at the check, but the check takes as long to perform as the amount of time other races have to spend sleeping. There's the risk of failing the check, but that probably balances out with the fact that not needing to sleep would make them great at pulling watch duty while patching themselves up. Then, maybe add a racial feat that allows them to heal themselves with negative energy x/day, for those who are worried about failing the check or needing to heal between fights without taking an 8-hour break with a surgery kit.

>Tell us about the undead in your campaigns! How are they used, do the PCs use them much, are they entirely mindless?
I'm adding a cabal of undead to my campaign that appear human, but are controlled by a necromancer. The PCs will have to challenge them to fights and stuff (because Lucha Libre has taken the place of many social institutions like bidding for contracts and civil court) but won't necessarily know that they are actually undead. I'm actually considering limiting the undead in the world to just these guys because I think it would make them more unique, but there may end up being a vampire (nerfed to hell though because I'm running E6) because I like undead mostly when they are secret undead hiding among civilization.

Quick question, /pfg/
I have the players taking orders from a dragon disguised as a human. I have no clue what the different colors of dragons do mechanically or lore wise. So, what color dragon best suits the character?
His name is Bast, but the players call him Bastard. He's the sole shop owner of the town, owning a horde of magical items, and he is manipulating the players to solve his quest for him. Alignment wise, he's CG towards the players, but he's actually LE, stealing control of the town.
I have looking through the books, and have stumbled on Copper, Gold, and possibly Blue to fit the general theme, but it says that the Metallic dragons are good aligned...
Please and thank you for your help, guys. I really appreciate you even reading this.