Roll skill check

>Roll skill check
>1
>Haha alright user you shit yourself

Other urls found in this thread:

anydice.com/program/33b9
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

well what else do you expect to happen when you fuck it up that hard you goober? Learn to roll other numbers.

How about a critical failure chart instead of just 'oh I shit my pants'.

you can't crit fail skill checks. If you're getting told you shit yourself because you rolled a nat 1 but you've got a +7 modifier or something, you should tell your DM to never run a campaign again

>frogposting
Fuck off retard

Fuck off, frogposter.

You can't critfail, period

It's not actually a thing in the rules

A natural 1 is an automatic fail on attack rolls and saving throws, but a natural 1 immediately resulting in your bow exploding or whatever is nonsense that people houserule into the system

For good reason, too. If you put in critfails, a level 16 fighter is 4x as likely to impale himself with his sword and die every round as a level 1 fighter. 7x if they're a dual weild build.

It's also the reason why you, by RAW, can't auto-succeed skillchecks on nat20. Because in addition to the dumb shit that happens on nat1s like this, it avoids dumb problems like PCs taking 20 on everything they're able to and succeeding at shit like jumping to the moon.

Frogposting again. Fuck off.

>PCs taking 20 on everything they're able to and succeeding at shit like jumping to the moon.
What the fuck what kind of shit you people DM that's not how taking 20 works

I usually fix this by making it so rolling a nat 20 gives you the 20+skill+10 and a nat one is 1+skill-10 so as long as your skill ranks don't make you go negative you just fail the check, but if you end up going negative it has varying degree's of bad. Nothing quite as shitty as crapping your pants, but falling flat on your face or tripping before you can make the jump and twisting your ankle. are all applicable

This is getting to /mlp/ levels of bad. I see these fuckers poping up on practically every board like muh /k/, including ones where they're publically banned only to reset their IPs and proceed to repost their thread. We need to banish Boys Club to a containment board.

>It's not actually a thing in the rules
If you roll a 1 to hit with a weapon of shitty quality then it can break.

Unless the skill check is bowel control this isn't something that would happen.

>d20
>not 2d6+3 on a 1-20 scale

I've never had that happen to me personally. A friend of mine told me a story about that. It's the reason why you stick with the rules instead of doing dumb shit like this. Most of my friends at least try to understand rules before invoking them, but honestly, there are people who still won't get it.
>Take 20
>Make 20 attempts incrementally until you get it right or you can't succeed on a nat20
How hard is this to understand?

Not sure if this makes sense, but I only have crit fails in combat if you get a 1 with disadvantage. Even then, it could be something like you get countered and the enemy has advantage/opportunity attack or something like that, if it makes sense. A ranged attack might hit the wrong target, or hit a wall destabilize something/knock something over

It makes sense to me for fuck up to happen when you have disadvantage, say for example you are attacking while prone, or can't see the enemy
Also this sort of thing can only happen once per turn, and I might lessen the effects on higher level characters so they don't get fucked for having more attacks. It's a very loose system but my players seem to enjoy it, as it works in their favour as well. Thoughts?

>2d6+3
>5-15

anydice.com/program/33b9

What the fuck does he mean by this?

It does have a different, very interesting, distribution, but I fail to see how it works in this instance. If you want something with a broader range of numbers and an actual fucking bell curve, you want 3d6.

>Using meme dice instead of the universally loved d20

Fuck off with your frogposting.

>Roll skill check
>1
>be proficient at skill and have modifiers
>1+9
>DC is 8
>Succeed

Imagine operating a car with absolutely no prior knowledge to how cars work, you might break the gearshift because what the hell, but you're unlikely to even get anything done.

>Roll to overcome an obstacle
>+1
>add skill modifier
>success with style

>in one out of twenty swings, this master swordsman accidentally cuts his own dick off

>in one out of twenty attempts at picking a lock, this master thief accidentally jams the lockpick up his nose and into his brain

>in one out of twenty spellcasts, this master wizard accidentally turns himself permanently into a frog that posts on Veeky Forums

While it's true that most DMs fail to understand the rules for ability checks, and many DMs add houserukes critical tables that make 10 percent of all rolls into a complete shitshow, I'd like to talk about another part of OP's all-too-familar situation:

What is it with DMs and poop? I am currently stuck in a campaign with a DM who doesn't seem to know how to describe anything dramatic except in terms of feces. You shit yourself on a natural 1, the enemy shits himself if you roll a natural 20 on an attack or intimidation check, we even had an NPC shit himself in excitement. I honestly don't think it's a sex thing for him, just a lazy imagination that can't imagine any other kind of strong reaction to a stimulus.

Is he by chance age 12 - 18 and grew up watching Youtube videos?
Because that's exactly my impression of kids these days.

You're just mad because Chad made you imagine crapping your pants again.