/STG/ - Star Trek General

Sovereign Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing
Core Rulebook
>IN NEED OF NEW LINKS

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/87613/star-trek-adventures-arcadia
stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Shatnerverse
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture#Dating
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Court_Martial_(episode)
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_The_Wrath_of_Khan
sto.gamepedia.com/Starfleet_Assault_Cruiser_Technology_Set
youtube.com/watch?v=bYMfwBGveMg
youtube.com/watch?v=ngsqaRD2HI8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For STG in the OP, wouldn't it be good to include a link to the Living Campaign stuff since it has an editable character and ship sheet? Also, does the Core PDF have any watermarking or could anyone throw theirs on MEGA without worry?

Modi are watching the threads and reporting links when they're posted, not just here but across the web. If you got links to ongoing games and such, feel free to post em. Might as well have something in that empty spot.

Well the Living Campaign stuff is something they themselves link, so it couldn't hurt to link that. If/when I do get a game going I'll certainly post it here instead of the Gamefinder threads.

Semi-regular question time!

Best and/or worst cases of Vulcan wank?

Personally, I consider pic related one of the best, if only because it goes "Yeah, Vulcans respect Surak's teachings, but they're not all weird about it like Sarek and T'pau are"

Anyone else annoyed about Toms "interest" in history that happened to be 20th Century American popculture. Atleast Sisko had other hobbies along his baseball enthusiasm.

I know someone who seems to have only one interest and that is football. Nothing else, just football. Name a year and they can name every single team, who won what award, what changes if any were made to the game, etc. Ask them what their anniversary is to their wife and he locks up and can't remember. Seriously, guy has been married 20 years and can't remember a major detail it seems from everyday life but football.

Tom Paris liking 20 Century American popculture at least gives him a lot to look into at least since 1901 and 2000 are wildly different and such.

Tom is stupider than Sisko, and that's okay. Tom is a self-styled expert in 20th century Earth history but proves that he doesn't know when the Cold War ended. He claims that playing Captain Proton is research into 20th century culture, but he can't learn anything from Captain Proton that he doesn't already know because HE WROTE THE FUCKING THING. These things are amusing and tell you a lot about his character.

I wanted to get some feedback on possibly adding a holodeck to a Nova-class vessel for a STA campaign. I chose to remove the Officer's Mess since I feel that sort of thing is never really shown in the shows and limits how the Officers interact with the normal rank and file. To accommodate this change I had the ship go through a computer refit, which you'll see in the next post.

And here's the ship's sheet, assuming I did everything properly.

Seems fine but square it off for fucks sake.

Better?

Yes. Sorry, it just seemed so, so weird seeing it in any other shape.

Looks alright, but I believe that the ST:A rulebook indicates that you're supposed to have a total of four Talents on all ships, meaning it needs to pick one more. I might suggest Improved Warp Drive, which makes a lot of sense for an explorer.

I have a hard time believing that it has NO holodecks. Unless Ransom specifically said that in the episode (which I don't recall, but mem alpha and my other sources don't say anything about that), I don't think that Starfleet would send out a ship of its vintage (newer than a Galaxy) for its mission profile (stare at a planet/nebula for months) without some sort of R&R room, like a holodeck. The ship did have an EMH, so it makes little sense to not also have a holodeck.

If I read page 253 right, it's a number of talents equal to the ship's scale. Which in this instance is three.

I mean you're not wrong. Best I can tell the reason no sources, official or otherwise, include a holodeck is because of the ship's size. I'd give it an EMH too, but that's a specific talent in ST:A, of which there's no room for at the moment.

I'm thinking of putting together a game of ST:A for my PnP buddies but it will be my first one ever as a DM. What advice would you guys give me as fresh blood and do you have any maps for a Trek setting?
I've been a player in multiple games btw. D&D 3e, 3.5, 5e, AFMBE, Pathfinder, Feng Shui 2, Star Wars RPG, Deadlands, and CoC

Oh we also play on Roll20 just FYI. We've been playing as a group since 2012

From the few campaigns I've seen streamed and in reading through the Core, I wouldn't be too worried about finding maps. Most of it seems to be theater of the mind. If you want actual ship deckplans there's a few out there for most ship classes. Otherwise you'd probably be able to repurpose some D&D maps for away missions.

Also I'll parrot some advice given to me last thread:
* Don't let your players get away with murderhoboing. They're supposed to be Starfleet
* There's a lot of focus on the narrative and RP between characters. Be prepared for that.
* Don't expect your players to be able to spout perfect solutions to any problem like in the show. If what they come up with sounds appropriately Trekkie, let them roll for it.

I'm 90% sure the player sheet is available in roll20, but I haven't yet used it myself.

What kinda maps are you thinking of?

Well considering most of the show is generic rocky plain in california I don't think away mission maps are gonna be hard to come across. Really anything like a cityscape or an alien civ

What would it take to get you guys interested in another sci-fi series tabletop game?

So what's the difference between the regular book and collectors edition? Apart from the cover art and free map, what else do I get for my 15 britbucks?

Oh maps for combat and stuff, not space areas. Am not sure if the game actually uses them.

It also comes with three ribbons to help mark your place. That's all that's listed on the site.

You could get away with using generic starmaps. Or, if you're lucky, you might be able to steal maps from Star Trek Armada 1/2.

Hmmm I didn't know that

There is this, you know. Not the best but it is workable at least.

I think you can have an EMH without the talent, it just costs crew support to use them in a mission.

Depends on the series. If the series is good, the game is good (even a 3.5 modern rip off would work), and there's somebody to run it with friends to play it with then I'd be down.

Right, I forgot that the errata changed that to elsewhere. You're right about the talents. Fucked up on that one, sorry mate. Your Nova looks good.

Meaning that the talent lets you use them for free? I mean I'm not reading anything that says you couldn't do it that way (i.e. costing crew support)

>It's a biomimetic compound. BIOmimetic.
That's just what EMH said after like an afternoon of analysis. Silver Blood does what it fucking wants.

>federation is treated as monolithic blob
>still fucking tiny
At least third-party writers get the scale right.

The actual Federation spans a distance of 8,000 LY. I don't know why everyone who makes maps for it can't be assed to show the proper volume.

As promised...

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/87613/star-trek-adventures-arcadia

This will be a brand new Star Trek Adventures campaign running Sundays starting at 4pm EDT (GMT-4).It will be set vaguely within the setting outlined by the official Living Campaign. The first few sessions will utilize the pre-prepared adventures just to get everyone (including myself) acclimated to the system. After that, though, the Shackleton Expanse is your playground!

Your vessel is the USS Arcadia, a recently-refitted *Nova-class.* The year is 2371, a mere week after the USS Voyager has gone missing. All player characters will be new transfers to the Arcadia. More details to come if you're accepted into the campaign!

OH.MY.GOD
stexpanded.wikia.com/wiki/Shatnerverse
I cannot wait to read these.

That could mean as little as 1 bumfuck planet is a Fed member. Aren't there groups in the Delta or Gamma quadrants that are allies/protected/members of the Fed too?

The Return is actually a legitimately good send off in a way. It does make Kirk overpowered as shit in a couple of fights, but he's hopped up on BORG NANOMACHINES SON. Plus it's got a great power trio rides again sequence at the end that's really good too. The rest though? It's wankery of the highest order, though Starfleet keeping a revived Kirk around as a trouble shooter for any super bizarre shit that just needs to die is a neat idea.

I'll grant it sucks having all the action take place within 1-200 lightyears of Sol, but 8k? Really? Even half that was be a tremendous improvement.

That means it would take +2 years to travel from one side to the other.

>Q Who
Data: [...] we have traveled 7000 lightyears, and are located near the system J25.
Riker: Travel time to the nearest starbase.
Data: At maximum warp in 2 years, 7 months, 3 days, 18 hours we would reach starbase 185.

>"Sir! Time-travelling superhumans with modified Borg tech and hopped up on Rhuludian crystals smuggled in by Ferengi traders have started attacking Betazed."
>"God dammit... Alright, thaw out Kirk. Goddam it, how many fucked up things can happen at once?"
>"Sir, more reports coming from Tellar Prime."
>"What now?"
>"Sir, the Tellarians want you to know you're a limp-dicked, slack-jawed buffoon."
>"Huh. Best report I've heard all day. Ensign! Get Kirk up before I start an interstellar incident. Again!"

>The Return
>good

I really can't agree user. Though, I guess anything is better than Generations, but that's not exactly a compliment.

Are there two Defiantd fighting those D7 Class Klingon battle cruisers? Meaning they shunted back in time some, what? 50-100 years?

Why are the other Fed vessels even fighting? Each Defiant could take down several of those Klingon ships with relative ease if knowledge serves.

I said a good send off. The novel is almost pure "Kirk is a total badass who can be hip deep in pussy without caring" wank, but it's sad in its own way for Kirk to see Bones and Spock having aged a few decades without him, but he's going to die first due to the plot.

They're Defiants as if they were built in the era, not 2370s Defiants.

But the Defiant was only built as a response to the Borg, there were no existential threats to the entire Federation in TOS era like that posed by the Borg or the Dominion

That's the point. It's an ill fitting ship, the modeler just wanted it.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

I bet it had less issues than the original defiant. O'Brien kept going on about how the engines were too powerful for a hull that small.

>the load-bearing structure of a feddie ship is its hull
Explains why they keep exploding.

There is also this one.

Just use a Miranda at that point.

If it makes you feel better, you can write it off as the Star Fleet Universe, rather than prime canon. They don't have the license for anything beyond TOS, so a TOS-ified Defiant would probably be okay.

Pic related will give some anons an aneurysm.

Amazingly, this is even worse than . Seriously, just build a Miranda or something.

Not really, it's most of the way towards the OG Anton class already, though its secondary hull is closer to the Miranda class.

>TOS'd Miranda

I hates it.

I get that, but there's onscreen evidence to support the notion. Is it possible Reliant just has the same NCC number of another ship from twenty years earlier? Sure. But I reserve the right to doubt.

I would prefer a TOS-ified Miranda with a TOS rollbar and photon module.

This one doesn't look too bad.

>Sol isn't the center of the map
Terrible

Alternative: Miranda was already built to look like the TMP ship style and was just there anyway. There's only a bare few years between TMP and that episode.

Depends. TMP takes place sometime in the 2270s. The exact year varies between sources. Decker's line in the movie suggests it takes place in 2271, but in VOY we have an onscreen confirmation that the 5 year mission ended in 2270, meaning TMP took place in 2272 or 2273.

Minimum, it's four years ("Court Martial" takes place in 2267), more than enough time for a refit to have occurred between 2267 and 2271. At most, it's a difference of six years.

At the very furthest end of the spectrum, WoK takes place in 2285. That's a difference of eighteen years. More than enough time for a TOS Miranda class to have been refitted, seeing as how the Connies were being refit in the early 2270s.

Not saying you're wrong, but I don't view it as likely. NCC-1864 is being "repaired" in 2267. I doubt it's being refit, and I doubt it was built to the TMP stylings already.

>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Motion_Picture#Dating
>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Court_Martial_(episode)
>memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek_II:_The_Wrath_of_Khan

>reading about the novelverse
I like what they did with the Darmok language.

Wrath of Khan is 15 years after space seed if that helps at all.

"Court Martial" takes place the same year as "Space Seed", so it's also eighteen years.

We can construct a rough timeline of Enterprise's operational lifetime:

Launched in the 2240s under Robert April.
Pike takes command in 2254, has her for eleven years and hands her off to Kirk in 2265. She's refit twice, once during Pike's command, and once during Kirk's. Later she's refit a third time in the late 2260s, early 2270s (just in time for TMP).

She's then lost in 2285, over the Genesis planet, the same year Khan sucker-punches her with Reliant.

What does this have to do with Reliant, and her TOS-ification? Not much. I just wanted to go on a tangent.

>my group wants to play a sci-fi game, after years of fantasy stuff only
>offer to run a Star Trek game
>none of them have ever seen a single episode, so they decline

I've wanted to play a Trek game for ages, and thought this was my chance, but I guess not. Also, how does anyone never see a single episode of long running, award winning show that is LITERALLY on TV everyday.

I got into star trek only about a year ago, literally never seen a single episode prior to my first attack wing game, wound up liking it, and watching every series back to back. So its possible.

I've >Is it possible Reliant just has the same NCC number of another ship from twenty years earlier?
It seems unlikely to me. When registry numbers get reused, they add on a letter, so she would've been the Reliant-A

Just tell them that it's a normal sci-fi game, have them be a crew of random misfits on small ship and slowly lay on the Trekness. Make the BBEG a Pakled

We need things. Things to make us LIVE FOREVER

This could definitely work. Offer up some species like Orions, Nausicaans, good ol' humans (from a non-Federation colony. Just state that if you choose human, you have to be from that world, and that Earth is ruled by a federation of worlds), maybe Bajorans and Cardassians if you like. Possibly Gorn if you want to have something other than human-but-forehead, human-but-color, and human-but-butt-ugly.

Give them a ship that's probably Raven sized, with maybe the equivalent of a runabout as far as armament and speed is concerned (depending on when you wan to set it). Maybe borrow and modify a Starfleet Museum ship?

Jesus these things are radically different from most other ST ships we tend to see. I think I'd take a Daedalus.

>Daedalus

You are an user of taste and sophistication.

>baikal
Remember back when the USSR was a thing and every setting had to have a token Russian or two and now Russia's weak and geopolitically isolated and if we ever into space it'll be used as a toxic waste dumping ground?

Yeah. Still, the Soviet Union has the distinction of basically doing everything first in the space race, except putting humans on the moon, and the first woman to spacewalk. Not bad for a bunch of mad Russkies in wooden rockets.

That's only true for single use manned spaceflight. Their attempts at science probes beyond Earth orbit were and are pretty terrible.

>science probes

Well they did launch one at Venus, which let us all know that Venus is a hellhole.

>women are form venus
We already knew it was a hellhole.

hook me up with some trek memes Veeky Forums i need a good laugh

Most of the ones I have are from /tv/.

There's actually a dedicated subboard on 420chan for Star Trek, and there's (occasionally) some dank stuff there.

But in general Star Trek obviously isn't a very hot topic anymore, so the meme flow is somewhat weak.

Say hello to my DOUBLE ILLEGAL SHIP SET!
sto.gamepedia.com/Starfleet_Assault_Cruiser_Technology_Set

Gonna need some context here, I don't remember this episode

CULTURAL APPROPRIATION
Seriously though the Trek writers are kinda racist in a really upper-class liberal kinda way.

All of the TNG edits are pretty good, but these two are my faves.

>youtube.com/watch?v=bYMfwBGveMg

>youtube.com/watch?v=ngsqaRD2HI8

Technically the purple part on the right is separate delta quadrant space connected by a stargate and dyson sphere

Crewman jumps into plasma stream in an apparent causeless suicide. Worf and Troi investigate.

Troi goes up to have a look and stands where he stood. Gordie finds another body hidden behind a wall panel.

Troi feels nothing, comes back down, investigations continue and they find that that he was psychically fucked with by another crew member who gets his jollies by getting people to an hero.

Worf and Troi develop "feelings" for each other and start having an affair. Troi catches Worf with another member of the crew and kills him in a jealous rage. Goes to the place with the plasma stream to jump in.

Worf grabs Troi before she can jump. It was all a dream.

Back when the ship was being constructed one of the construction crew killed their cheating lover and an heroed in that place. They were Betazoid and left a psychic imprint in the walls. Gordie discovers their remains in the plasma filter behind the wall panel where Troi saw him find bones in her dream.

Probably the least shit Troi episode.

>Probably the least shit Troi episode.
Second least shit, there's also the one were she's a secret Romulan agent or something.

>infatuation
>acquisition
>justification
>obsession
>resale

kek