IXN/magic Spoiler guy is now in PRISON!

>"Behind the Scenes with the Alleged Ixalan Card Theft"

>"Through our collective efforts, and the great work of local law enforcement, we were able to track down the alleged source of the images and recover our property in a very short amount of time. And yes, in case you are wondering, the suspect was arrested, is in jail, and is facing significant charges. The case is currently pending."

What do you think about this, Veeky Forums?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/behind-scenes-alleged-ixalan-card-theft-2017-08-28

They should hang him...

Lol, joke. Who cares anyway?

You know, given that it was a former employee who didn't leak the sheets, but straight up stole them and tried to sell them? That's a bit different than a guy who takes a few pictures of a sheet in-house and leaks it.

He's not in prison; he's in jail awaiting trial. There's a difference.

Also, whatever, I don't have much sympathy for people dumb enough to steal shit from factories with security cameras rolling.

What said.

I have no problem with leaks, but actually stealing shit should be punished.

so he actually tried to steal and sell it? lmao, this guy is fucked

Stole 2 dollaroos of cardboard...
Who cares?

Standard corporate espionage crap. Nothing we didn't see coming a mile away.

>Cuck Hasbro so hard they write articles bragging about arresting you

How much of a loser do you have to be to get found for stealing cardboard.

This is a fair point. How the hell do you determine the value of an uncut MTG card sheet? Printing one costs Hasbro dimes and nickels.

Making an IP argument obviously.

Okay, this is interesting. What are the actual charges and how are they going to demonstrate damages?

Theft? He stole a piece of cardboard. Value: a few dollars at most. You can't even sell it to anyone except a collector of Magic curiosities since it's uncut.

Corporate espionage? What actual harm did he cause? You can't say he caused X million in damages without explaining and proving the mechanism.

Do they actually have anything they can stick to him that's worth more than a small fine?

I'm sure the law is no stranger to the concept that items can have inordinately higher value if you sell them before their street date. So they can probably stick him with theft to the tune of the market value of an unreleased set of cards. Plus, there are probably laws meant for punishing people who leak movies and music early that Hasbro can use to crush that guy. And even if that doesn't work, they can surely get him on breach of contract, since he had to have signed an NDA.

Wizards of the coast apparently has a very ritualistic marketing structure that hypes their product. Strict release intervals, "spoiler seasons" and events timed just before a products release would hopefully bring in a good return as opposed to burning out the hype by showing the whole set 6 months before it's out.

>Theft? He stole a piece of cardboard. Value: a few dollars at most. You can't even sell it to anyone except a collector of Magic curiosities since it's uncut.
Don't uncut rare sheets often get auctioned off or offered on price walls? Seems like you could put a value on it easily that way.

>More fucking 2 CMC retarded-good grave hate

>Intellectual Property

user... You can't steal IP(in this case unreleased information about a product). That's illegal in the US. It's not about 'cardboard'.

>and yet dredge is still not only playable but immensely good

Pure WOTC propaganda. You can counterfeit the fuck out of cards, hoard and price gouge, sell prize support, weight packs, sell repacks etc., etc., with no questions asked.

>Value
He listed them online for a very high price, if nothing else the court already has evidence that he stole them hoping to get a high dollar from them and the attention proves it was correct.
This is a case of an asset (the card sheet) having a high potential value therefor it does hold value, it's like if you stole that half-eaten french toast from Justin Timberlake and sold it for $1000 back in 2000, that asset is worth that because that is what people are willing to pay for it.

How can they prove it was even theft? It was a sheet of cardboard, so what?

Do they arrest carpenters for having wood shavings in their shoes when they leave work?

You're forgetting people who downloaded mp3s were being sued, successfully, for hundreds of thousands of dollars.
All you need is enough lawyers and you can assfuck anyone who doesn't have the means to fight back with another horde of lawyers to death.

I don't see how it can be theft if nothing has been stolen.

>How can they prove it was even theft?
Maybe with the video evidence they have of an ex-employee walking out with an uncut sheet of product?
Do you think I could walk out of work with a sheet of mahogany wood and just be alright?

Serious question, how old are you?

They can't prove that its theft is what I am saying. People take work home all the time. If you take home reports or whatever is that theft?

Anyway, its only cardboard with some vague ideas on it. There is literally nothing material of value involved.

I been calling hard bullshit on that shit, like I magic players so God Damn mentally retarded that just because the know the card exist 3 months before release, they are going to be like:
>well fuck that I just spend my money on weed and pizza

People who play the game, buy boxes, or go to pre-release are going to go regardless, unless the product it self is complete shit. I feel that spoiling cards 2 months in advance will have very little negative impact.

user, are you serious?
You can get fucked by fifty shades of nigger cock with all the IP and copyright laws - especially in recent years with media conglomerates buying up politicians left and right.
They're not trying to send him to prison for petty theft, but for shit that undermines their ability to sell product.
user, have you graduated highschool yet?
If they were reports someone else made and you weren't authorized to take them home, you would certainly face some shit.

(You)
Maybe in 12th grade they will teach you about finances and asset management.

IP theft is a thing. You can get charrged and sued for hundreds of thousands. It was a big thing in Second life - copybots could steal people's item builds and they could undersell people and make real money on such theft.

Please don't vote user. Or have children. Probably best not to drive either.

All i'm saying is they can't prove its theft. Its like if you saw I had a nice new door on my house that is just like the door that went missing from another house you might be able to suspect all you want but you can't ever actually PROVE that I stole it.

They can't PROVE the guy stole anything.

>Video of him stealing it
>They can't PROVE the guy stole anything.

Only one of these statements can be true. Care to guess which?

Dude they have him ON CAMERA walking out with the sheet, the video is likely time stamped because in 2017 so they can clearly correlate that someone WHO WAS NO LONGER EMPLOYED AND ALREADY TRESPASSING had an item that did NOT belong to them about the same exact time the sheet went missing.

Not to mention the idiot tried to sell it online for money on his account so unless some guy shapeshifted into him, stole the sheet then hacked into his online account to sell it, that person had to be him that did it.

I'm excited to see the next round of trolling after this.

>You can't PROVE he's not the victim of a vast cover up!

Man, fuck you guys. None of you know shit about how to get away with being a criminal.

Can confirm that the hype spoiler season generates plays a role in how much business WotC gets, even if it's a small one.

Source: I only go to prereleases spoiler season gets me excited about. I'm probably not unique.

SHOW ME YOUR J.D. FAG

>It has no value because it's cardboard
>paintings in museums have no value because they're just canvas and oils.

Neither do you apparently.

How can they prove:

A. It was him
and
B. It was the sheet

On grainy video footage? 9 times out of 10 that 'evidence' leads directly to acquittal; and any lawyer or even guy representing himself can discredit it entirely simply by demanding that they show records of the camera's installation, recepts, proof that the camera is operating legally and in accord with federal guidelines and that the footage is not a breach of privacy all of which are things that 9 out of 10 firms will be unable to do.

Basically he has a 90% chance of getting off scott free and initiating a giant counter-suit.

Damage can be estimated using average differences between initial set releases with and without leaks.
They probably have a way to adjust for the size of the game prior to the spoiler season.
It's going to be a lot of money. They are trying to make an example of this guy.

This is not true. People don't want to recognize how much marketing effects their purchasing decisions, but the truth is that people make decisions based on emotion more than logic. That means that the performance of WOTC marketing during a spoiler season influences not only how big the prerelease is, but also how the set is perceived for its entire duration in Standard. People will be more likely to play with the new cards if they have a good first impression.

>A
You're assuming it was grainy video footage, clearly this isn't the case if they have him in custody, and even if it was not all humans look the same, this person could have easily had a very identifiable look (arm tattoo, bald head, specific style of dress), dude people get caught on fucking gas station cameras and arrested when nobody there even knows the guys name, let alone it was an ex employee.
>B
Easy, time stamps and inventory management.
this sheet like the others was going to be cut unless it was a misprint sheet which means it would be shredded, either way the managers of the facility have to keep track of their product, even if it's being shredded you need to tell the shredder how much to shred or at the very least make a listing of how many sheets need to be sent to the shredder. The numbers came back short that day by 1 so footage was reviewed and what do you know? Someone on camera was walking out with a card sheet the same day the factory was short 1 sheet of IXN rares...maybe it was just a weird coincidence and he was taking the sheet home to show his kids and forgot to bring it back?

Of course there's also the fact the account that tried to sell the sheet online belongs to the ex employee but I think I know why you chose to ignore that point.

He tried selling the item online, user.

(You)

I hope you're happy, shitting up a thread like this. It had potential.

Oh fuck you. All you guys are witch-hunting this guy, siding immediately with WOTC as if they've done you any fucking favors.

At the very least I think you should support a little bit of rebellion against the corporate chokehold on your hobby and leisure time.

>significant charges
Oh please, the best you can get back is the street value of the cards themselves. Theft, and selling stolen goods are the best Wizards can get, Sheckleberg and Goldstien or not. I don't feel sorry for the ex-employee either, he was dumb enough to bother auctioning the sheet off instead of getting an office grade cutter and waiting until after IXL release. Fucking dumbass.

>very short amount of time
>six months
You fucking kidding me here?

>this guy
Supporting theft solely because yeah fuck the man is literal thug logic.
Society doesn't want to respect those who do not respect it.
Laws are made to protect the rights and property of those that follow it, if you don't like that you can ignore them but no one else has to respect your rights either.

As an ex contractor, as confirmed by the article, he will have had a contract with a signed NDA that he willfully broke and tried to profit off of. The question isn't if he will be charged, but for how long his dumb ads will be behind bars.

Whatever. Better go make your speech to all the 40K guys exchanging chinaman contacts and shit because their attitude is exactly one of 'fuck the company that makes the game I like'.

If you don't find that admirable, then you better fuck off. I've been playing Magic for fucking forever and I can't even remember the time I bought a legit card. If the game can be played without paying out you are obligated to do it that way, I say. Because, yes, fuck the man and anyone who thinks they can get a dime off my good time.

Okay buddy just don't be surprised when a cop shoots you because you broke into that store that's run by those people you don't like one night.

>you're all stupid, they cant proove he did it!
>well just because im retarded and dont understand the law doesnt mean you all arent retarded too nyeh stop sucking wotc cock

Like pottery

I do rebel. It's called cube. Outside of the cube theme (it's Discard Themed), I just scout out interesting cards to me. If it's too expensive, I hope on down to the FedEx and print proxies off. I just buy from the secondary market, since it's voting for my wallet. This is a dumbass fucking company that doesn't want the money of white men, and would rather prance about in fag parades than getting their together.

>contractor
It was a former temp employee, and judging by the wording they used, was most likely subject to a different NDA than other staff. Seems odd to me that a former temp would be able to access inside in the first place, even knowing common security routes and timing. WOTC has some terrible fucking security if someone can sneak in, grab a giant sheet, and sneak out.

1. They can't prove he did it, they even admit as such by calling it 'alleged' theft.
2. You ARE retarded if you pay into wotc. They think they can fucking charge money for me to play their game? lol

>Mcdonalds thinks they can charge money for ME to eat their food? Jokes on them I'll just grow my own!

Shit buddy you sure showed them, make sure you mine your own oil and create your own power too so them big bad companies don't get any of your hard earned money.

I'm just saying man. No one gives tabletop wargame homebrewers or chinaman users any shit. Likewise the RPG guys and their 'troves'.

Use fake or proxy MTG cards and suddenly its a big deal and you're kicked out the LGS. There's a serious double standard here.

Because there's a secondary market for mtg cards.

Dude stole someone else's unreleased IP and attempted to sell it for a profit, while releasing a significant amount of it thus detrimentally influencing their release schedule which may result in lost profits?

He's fucked.

What difference should that make?

Risk of counterfeit cards entering the market.

Because they are not advocating to break into 40k office and steal their shit like you are.

Not a single person here has mentioned proxy cards, maybe you're confused on what the core conversation was here because you keep equating knock off figurines to breaking government mandated laws that exist to protect the rights of human beings.

What does it matter if the cards I use are genuine?

No one benefits from this second market. It dosen't enhance the game. I'd be glad if it was eliminated overall. Legitimate cards should be the province of a few dedicated collectors not hard shackles that everyone is forced to play under.

If I could have my way MTG would be held at the fucking Xerox centre, not the FLGS with superfats sweating and moaning if your cards are 'real' while they clutch their huge three-ring binders crammed with D&D 5e printouts.

>Because they are not advocating to break into 40k office and steal their shit like you are.

They aren't? Pretty sure using knockoffs of any stripe is advocacy via action.

>the rights of human beings.

What human being's rights are protected by gouging a guy who MAYBE took a sheet of cardboard. WOTC isn't a human being; though it certainly seems to be protected by laws and fanatical followers both.

>Hey look at me, i literally cant stop moving these goalposts to avoid admitting I'm wrong haha! I don't understand legal terms but im sure gunna pretend like its all about being a "goody two shoes loser" rather than me just being retarded. Whoa, here i go again haha!!

If people stopped buying cards the game would die outside of a few legacy fans.

more then tht the fact that bothers me is the guy tried to sell online and was caught on camera nd it still took them 6 months and apparently private detectives too. What kind of guy was this? They knew it was him, it took 6 months just to find him?

>They can't prove he did it, they even admit as such by calling it 'alleged' theft.
Everything is alleged until after a trial because it's straight up defamation if he hasn't been convicted of it.

Probably 6 months for the lawyers to put together the nastiest case they can get.

>Probably 6 months for the lawyers to put together the nastiest case they can get.
they don't prepare the case before arresting do they? I mean not like process is due tomorrow, doesn't a lot of time pass between arrewst and process?

Read the article, they arrested him pretty quickly. They just waited until they were ready to comment on the cards before they announced anything.

>For some, the leaks are great—they want information as often and as much as possible. For others, it's a disappointing way to be introduced to a set that looks really exciting. The excitement of preview season is like Christmas for a lot of players, and unwrapping the presents three months early makes it feel a bit less special for some. Not for all, but for some. Certainly for us.
kek imagine someone working at wizards coming to Veeky Forums during spoiler season.

Holy shit this is some grade-A idiocy

>they print out cards for us to use and have fun with at the low low price of $3.99 a pack
>corporate chokehold on your hobby and leisure time
If you don't like it don't play.

Same thing happened before Invasion release. I can't find any news items about it on the internet, but the details (as I remember them) are nearly identical - an uncut (foil) sheet removed/stolen from a production facility by the person who later attempted to sell it (providing picture proof which leaked upcoming cards).

They'd say "wow these guys suck at magic"

How can one in "in jail" while still "facing charges"?

Denied bail, held pending trial.

Wouldve though that there would be an intermediate processing facility for people like this, rather than just sticking them into jail proper already.
Thanks for the reply.

Came here to post this. Words have meaning.

It varies by place but yeah, you spend time in jail until trial if you don't get/can't afford bail. It can get pretty fucked up in places where the most available place to put prisoners are real hellholes of a prison (Even for non-violent offenders)

Jail and prison aren't interchangable words, user.

They aren't? I tried to see what the difference is but "jail" redirects to "prison"

For non-americans they pretty much are.

>Non violent offender put in jail
So this is the American justice system. It looks like the Republican party continues to be hard at work.

You don't know how our legal system works so please stop embarrassing yourself by posting about it.

>Aaaaand 6 months is the new record!
>Earliest a set has been elected as "the worst set of all time that will destroy magic forever"

I do, and it is quite sad.

No one on the current FFL or design team have any right to say that

>Criminal broke the law
>Is in prison
What exactly do you expect?

Keep crying about it, for all the good it'll do you.

Sanctimonious cunt.

Come on, user. That's a high bar to reach, given how shitty the last few Standard environments have been...

You can stop false-flagging any time now.

>actions have consequences?
>RAAAIIILROAD

This seems like a good shadowrun campaign guys, what else happened? I especially like the shapeshifting guy who stole the guy's identity and ebay account to sell the card sheet I'm just wondering what his motive was did the guy he framed fuck his sister or did he get employee of the month instead of him?

Called Lowfyr a cunt on the internet

Twice an entire set's been leaked well before the prerelease and it actually has affected the sales of both sets and (especially) prerelease attendance.

>It's another "teenager thinks breaking the law is cool, but has no idea how the world works" episode
Why isn't your argument centered around the idea that you can't prove loss-of-sales related to this instance, particularly if sales are reasonable or moderate. You can sue him for breach of contract, you can put him in jail for IP theft, and you can probably put him in jail again for trespassing with the intent of unlawful purpose/breaking and entering/some related bullshit. You can't sue him for a billion million dollars because you have no way to tangibly evaluate an asset that exists outside the market, like a lock of Jesus' hair, or a painting from Bob Da'vinci that was way better than Leonardo's.

Just a reminder that the country's prison population costs the country more than any of the programs you Reich wingers are cutting right now. If you play up scares about drugs and minorities it is easy to get elected I suppose.

Being able to show up to court rather than being locked up just because you can't pay bail like in any civilized country?

>you Reich wingers
You're a walking joke.