MTG Modern General

>it's another no bans episode edition

>play
>hate
>brew

>RESOURCES: (if anyone has the original list of resources saved that'd be cool to have)
magiccards.info - card database
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper - meta database

thread question: anything you're brewing with the new cards that you swear isn't jank?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-17-mogis-control/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-17-hunted-orb/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>play
Affinity
>hate
Tron and Control
>brew
Something with vengevine and hollow one

I just wanted tron to die but nooo big mana is fair apparently.

Vampire Nighthawk or the 2 drop nonflyer version?

Depends on the colors you're running and if you have ramp or not.

post list

>ban Twin because it "stifles deckbuilding creativity and it's very popular"
>don't ban Shadow even though it's the same problem

Really makes me think...

>Thinking there is any logic in modern banlist or has fate WotC has any idea how to manage the game

wew

Instead they keep fucking shit up in vintage

>ban Dredge because hate boner
>ban Storm because hate boner
>"o-oh no it's because they're uninteractive decks!"
Meanwhile:
>tron lands that pump shit out until you die in a format with inefficient land hate
>Valakut shits out lighting bolts in a format with inefficient land hate
Really made me think, Wizards.

Tasigur should've ate a ban.

no one is safe

>play
Turbofog
>hate
Tron
>brewing
Turbofog

I-I'll make it work g-guys

>guy tries to mill you out
>you have 4x emrakuls in your deck

He can't read

Dredge and storm are viable decks despite the bannings. stop whining

>Mind Sculptor still banned
>in a format where turn 3 Tron is considered fair

You could probably unban quite a few cards and it wouldn't end the world

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-17-mogis-control/

I should probably abandon Gary and switch to the new red god

How's UWR Flash with Quellers and GoST? What should I be looking at for a creature base? Right now I have:
4 Snappies
3 Geist
3 Queller
1 Clique
1 Grim Lavamancer
I've seen some lists with Thundermaw or Strombreath, should I drop Lavamancer for a big bomb like that? A singleton Venser would also be pretty spicy, thoughts? Is Resto completely out of the picture or do some lists still use it? I imagine Queller took it's place.

How do I balance out my removal and burn. Obviously I want 4 Bolts but how many Helixes, Paths and Electrolyzes? Is Chained to the Rocks a meme?

>Extirpate
>Surgical Extraction
>Rest in Peace

Woo this threads great. A bunch of midrange shitters complaining about fucking Valakut of all cards, yes thats right an ETB tapped land. You guys are terrible players and the cancer killing this game.
>Aggro
"Waahhh too fast, I literally cant beat Lava Spikes!"
>Combo
"Not the way the games meant to be played. Like seriously no planeswalkers in their whole deck?!"
>Control
"Games too long and boring, ban Cryptic Command!"

Midrange faggots only want to play threats and Walkers and attack into other threats and walkers

>playing
soul sister
>hate
storm
>brewing
boros soul sister
norin + parish is good but it just doesn't feel right splashing for only norin + bolt.

Atleast they're shaking things up in vintage, I'm sure the ten people who play it can't wait to build new decks.

Its the two best cards your deck could want, how does it not feel good

I feel like I need something else for red, but everything else is too good.

I just bought an entire Amulet Titan deck. Did I fuck up?

Bunch of people asking unbans for control, combo etc. while wondering why shit like Death's shadow is still legal.

Collect your shit in a bag, and do a sommersault to neck yourself.

Put Burn at the Stake for a finisher to tap all your myrs.

Looks alright, thanks.

I just want shadow gone so I can play Ad Nauseam again
I know it's autismal but I love playing the deck in paper, that smug feeling of comboing off when your opponent thinks he has lethal and then flipping all those cards and sifting through them feels so good in my hands

Whats your list look like? Norin+Parish is really nice, and Norin allows you to cheese a lot of people with 4 Genesis Chamber (and 1 Purphoros if you're looking for extra use for red)

>dispel
>negate
>remand
>snap ad infinitum

this is why I play bluemoon

>play
U/W merfolk
new legend looks neat as a supplement to kira
>>hate
nothing other than normal of discard being better than counterspells in modern. but i've dealt with it this long, i can continue to endure
>>brew
pic. took out nissa to test chandra flamecaller. though i'm going to have to find a spot for new castaway jace. making 4 tokens of jace off of one activation with doubling season out sounds ridiculous

Creatures:
4x Soul Warden
4x Soul's Attendant
4x Ajani's Pridemate
3x Norin
4x Parish
4x Serra Ascendant
2x Purphoros, God of Forge

Spells:
4x Path
4x Bolt
2x Return to Ranks
4x Genesis Chamber(i really hate this card in the deck but it's too good)

Lands:
4x Sacred Foundry
7x Plains
6x Mountain
4x Battlefield Forge

Think about dropping Serra Ascendant, but I like the card alot.

have you tried suture priest?

Plansewalkers are now legendary. Better buy this fucker up before the kikes make it spike. make 9chad a real deck my dudes

Suture priest just doesn't feel fast enough

Scrub here, want to make an Isochron Scepter Burn deck, no fucking clue what I'm doing. Criticism requested.

Iron Myr x2
Gold Myr x2
Palladium Myr x4
Inventor's Apprentice x2
Court Homunculus x2
Etched Champion x4

Galvanic Blast x4
Lightning Bolt x4
Boros Charm x4

Isochron Septer x4
Paradox Engine x4

Mountain x12
Inventors' Fair x4
Darksteel Citadel x4
Inspiring Vantage x4

Huge fucking buff to 9Chad, you can now curve your 3drop Chad into your 4drop Chad then follow up with bigChad, no smoke and mirrors required.

THIS FORMAT BELONGS TO GIDJON NOW

Well, I like the list but splitting devotion for this list is kind of wonky. How good is packrat without a discard outlet like squee? Obliterator is strong as fuck in some match ups but worthless in others. Is it a price issue?

I like some weird br picks but none of them ever make it in my lists.

Aww shit son. Time to load up Gideon.dec

late game lands, Inquisition/Thoughtseize, and Bloodghast are all discard fodder user.

Oblit is just my pet card, especially in a deck where they have to path everything else as well (BB and gods for example)

>playing
Norin Sisters
>hating
Tron, of course
>brewing
This fucking jank
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/28-08-17-hunted-orb/

Just play burn and add in scepter. That deck list looks like shits.

>torpor orb deck with no eater of days

Yeah, I was going to put that in but I'm not entirely sure what to drop for it.

They should have errataed maelstrom pulse to be able to hit all of the same planeswalkers at once

Neat hunted deck, you can also use Engineered Explosives, Ratchet Bomb, Displacement Wave, and there's a new card that is a Torpor on a stick in Ixalan

Speaking of which, tfw Wizards didn't fuck up this card. It's fucking TWO!!

also tfw they fucked up Hostage Taker instead

Kira is still better

I actually prefer Punishment to EE since it's easier to control to value in a three color deck.

the value*
Also, what's the name of the card in Ixalan? Rarity?

Hope you have your copies before the price spikes.

Here are some ideas:
>Have a sideboard
>For mainboard, have Misthollow Griffith or plan on slotting in that rare 1W 1/3 from Ixalan when it releases.
>Illness in the Ranks either in MB or SB to make Hunted Phantasm even safer to play
>Eater of Days
>cut the Trickbinds
>consider Inverter of Truth for a safer hardplay if matchups don't work out

I just haven't made the sideboard yet, I know I have to...

Both is better actually. Decks are going to run 1-1.

I think there's a 2W bird that does the same thing as well, from an older set.
Punish/Ratchet etc is a safer play though, especially with just Hunted stuff. I think if you were to go full Eater of Days then she'd be worth it.

Both have a lot of merit to them (especially running a split of both since they are legendary and their effects stacking is backbreaking for interactionfags), but I really like the new one since a) gets pumped+gets cavern'd and b) hinders abrupt decay

Honestly difficult to say which one is 'better' since they are both amazing, each with slightly different benefits. It's a great day to be a fish player, any new tech at all is a great

>slaps your ass, takes both your waifu and your non-eternal format hostage
What DO you do?

>Exiles itself with no other legal targets

Huh?

It doesn't loop because when it exiles itself it's no longer on the battlefield for its second ability to function.

Already been errated.

iirc i think it's just the first clause that matters, the "when X etbs exile target creature until X leaves", which i think loops it and draws the game.

Sauce?

Crime/Punishment is a bad card, I'd start with cutting that. You want at least 10 creatures because while they're big creatures, they aren't game-ending like emrakul or primetime.

How exactly?
I only use Punishment and it functions exactly the same as an EE.

Explosives is colorless and is a permanent that you can crack when you need it. You also have pulse.
What might be a good idea is go heavier on the discard suite so you can have a good turn 1 play 70% of the time, it helps with your curve. Turn 1 thoughtseize take their interaction into turn 2 orb into turn 3 creature is a beautiful curve for that deck.

So like, maybe go down the Punishments for 2 more TS's?

So, do any of the rares/mythics that were spoiled from Ixalan today excite you lads

Sounds solid, you could even run 3 iok 3 ts, or 3/4 and cut/sb 1 dismember. This is the sorcery/instant pile I would run if I were you:

Instants

3x Fatal Push
2x Countersquall (Maybe consider 1 countersquall and 1 negate?)
3x Muddle
2x Trick
1x Dismember

Sorcery

4x Visions
3x Thoughtseize
3x Iok
2x Pulse

Replace the 1 cut dismember with another threat.

Thanks for the advice.
This pile might become a deck yet.

I wish she could be a little bit cheaper since she's restricted to creatures. Sun Titan just shits all over her even at 1 mana more.

>interactionfags
Is this seriously where this game is at? That people who want to sit down and have a game and not an aggro race are considered in the wrong?

You can't ban Tasigur without Angler. But why ban either?

it was a joke my dude.

but yes, you are correct, interactionfags need to know that this format is SOLITAIRE ONLY (burnbros are included as combopatricians)

I want to try her in some big stupid Sun and Moon/Skred/Stompy variant.

>tfw she's laughing at my dick

this card has me going

>mfw people say it's shit

This shit is bonkers

If this had the EtB clause like sun titan I'd run it in an eldritch evolution deck. As it is though, it's just bad.

Anyone?
It's a 3/3 trample for 4 that MIGHT be a 5/5 and dies to bolt in response to it's etb
>dies to removal
yes, I said it, but there are better dragons with haste and etb effects if you want a red beatstick

I wasn't even excited for the 5/5 part, mostly just a reasonably-sized 4drop that cantrips (and maybe even has some other synergy in a deck with Demigod of Revenge or something)

Mostly just seems like a Solemn Simulacrum variant with focus on being beefy, which is cool since I run a lot of sad robo in some monoR.

There's a lot of competition at the 4drop slot between P&K and Chandra but I still like where this card is positioned

Is UWR Flash a thing? The only Flash decks I know of is Spirits and Faeries.
What competitive advantage are you striving for? Evasive aggro? Instant options? Flickering? Tempo?

I was under the impression it was similar to the UWR controls shells with Snaps, Clique and Geist but replacing Resto with Queller, lots or burn and removal.

I used to run a UWR Control brew with 4 Snap, 1 Clique, 2 Resto, 2 Gearhulk as the creature base, and then a pile of burn, Paths, a set of Cryptics and Remands, etc for spells.

Nothing can redeem that shitty card.

ah, the age-old "how bad can we make a sol-land until people will refuse to use it"

The new Planeswalker rule sucks and will destroy this format
>Turn 3 GoT
>Turn 4 AoZ
>Turn 5 Gideon Jura
How the hell does any non Tron deck beat that? They have an emblem where they cant lose, and high loyalty walkers who are attacking for 9 this turn and then 15 next. Even if you manage to kill one all they have to do is play another, all this while they obviously remove your threats with Path/Push etc.,

>not accepting Chad into your heart

Yeah I sure do want a format where its just Tron and Gideon decks

I'm ready to cuck gideon in modern just like in standard

No quite the opposite I bought into it a month ago and have been wrecking house over a vastly competitive lgs decks siiick

>playing combo in Thoughtseize: the Format

O i am laffin

frankly I'm considering just packing it up, moving to MTGO and just playing vintage. Yeah I'd miss playing with some people irl but there's something about the format that's made it a real chore to play for the last six months.

>How the hell does any non Tron deck beat that?
As UWx control, counter AoZ because he makes tokens and then just ignore the other two because they can't attack without getting hit by Path or Blessed Alliance. You're fucked if he eats your hand with discard T1 and T2, but he can't have that much interaction because 5 lands + 3 Gideons is already 8 cards.

We really need a 2 mana Gideon to fill out the curve.

I'll just draw more combo pieces. Your handrape can't stop me forever.

I for one welcome our brown splinter waifu overlords