media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Which setting would you like WotC to give some attention to next? Why that setting, specifically?

Is a Strength based Mystic viable?

Anyone here have any experience running/converting Maze of the Blue Medusa to 5e? I know that I'll probably have to bump HD up to d8, as well as some of the damage dice.

Eberron. I really love me some robots.

Why are humans a shit in this version?

They aren't satan, they get a free feat at level 1

mystic isn't viable at all, wait till 2018 when the class makes a version that makes sense

because they were too strong in previous versions

Why is the system so fun?

Is a druid/wizard workable at all?

That's Variant Humans, user. Humans get +1 to all abilities.

Because it is so barebones, without too many features that any individual DM would hate

Are there any resources for a thieves guild/mob based dungeon in a city? How would you go about constructing something like that?

>implying varient human isn't standard at this point

variant human is banned at every sensible table because it's blatantly better than every other race

Eberon. We've had like 5 adventures set in Faerun. I never played in Eberon back in the day but I appreciate its aesthetic and it is certainly different that Forgotten Realms.

(real answer: Mytara but that will never happen)

For those of you that have played Adventurer's League.
What is the number one red flag a new player has ever given you?

Ever played pokemon?
Hide a secret passage in whatever establishment you have for gambling. It's built beneath the city, also has sewer access.

Planescape because I love it and would love some 5th edition attention to it.

Dark Sun, dammit!

Any table that bans it can fuck off, if it's legal in AL and it's not at your table then you're a faggot.

What's the difference between "the awakened mystic" and the more recent one?

How do you feel about half elf.

But without it every other race is better than Human.

and yet, in our last game, we had 6 players and only two played humans.

Your point?

That's... A good idea thanks

>AL

Half elf doesn't get a feat and is basically just a human with long ears anyway, except they don't suck ass. Cool class, especially because CHA is actually a great stat in this edition.

Do you really think "humans are the best choice for every single build" is better than each build having various races that are good for it?

"People at my table didn't take advantage of how good something is so it's fine and not problematic" hasn't been an argument for decades.

Feats are way too strong to get one for free at level 1, being able to get a bunch of 16's too is just absurd

>implying AL is sensable
actually I play AL because its actually a good group in my area guess I got lucky

Having a feat fits humans very well. You lose out on more specialized ability scores and possible darkvision / innate spell casting / not needing to sleep / etc. Honestly they should just remove variant human and make it the basic human.

A healthy medium would be nice- PHB humans are boring as hell (+1 to all stats and no other bonuses, woo!) but Variant ones are too powerful. I try to even it out by giving everyone a free feat and giving humans +2/+1 and two skill proficiencies.

Do you really think variant human is best for every build? You seem to care far too much about feats.

I've banned it. And yes, your father sucks my dick while your mom watches from the closet. They also tell how much of a disappointment you are to them.

So after running an 8 month long campaign one of my players has decided to take up the DM role and I finally get to be a PC again.

I'm probably going to run an arcane archer but all of the arrow abilities look so fun and I'm having a hard time picking 2, can anyone sell me on any of them?

What build is not done best by +2 to one stat, +1 to another, and some beefy feat feature that's generally way better than racial traits? Assuming you don't just take crossbow master at first level or some other weapon feat that makes you absurdly better than any other martial character for many levels before they can slowly catch up, which just feels shitty.

Speaking of bans, I saw a group that listed among it's banned UA the whisper and sword bard colleges. Any reason for this? The rest of the stuff was pretty sensible

look how many salty assholes are crying at the idea of not getting their level 1 feat and tell me what you think.

That's a worse Half-Elf

>+2 to one stat, +1 to another
>variant human
Excuse me?

>+2 to one stat, +1 to another
At least know what you're complaining about before you complain about it, please.

I want to play one of the Unearthed Arcana Rogues (Scout and Inquisitor) If my current sorcerer dies. Anyone have any experience with them?

Woah dude, carefil not to cute yourself on tnat industrial grade edge.

Variant human gets +1 in two stats, then you take a feat that gives you another +1 in your main stat, so it's effectively +2/+1

Are you going to actually argue the point I'm making, or just spout off like a bunch of ignorant dorks?

>Bunch of 16's
You can only get up to 3 16's, assuming that you drop your other 3 stats to 8. The average build is likely to get 2 16's, versus if you went with another race you would likely have a 17 and a 16.

As for combined with feats: There's a reason a lot of people suggest not letting people have the master/sharpshooter.etc feats. There's a good number of feats that are more fluff focused.

Half elves were brought up because they are the best race alongside v.human.

>not to cute yourself

You mom thinks my ass looks cute when I pound your dad in the ass. That's just the kind of faggot who bans variant humans from his table I am.

They have the same problem as every rogue that isn't swashbuckler or AT, they aren't actually effective and just give you a bunch of super gimmicky tricks that largely require the GM to work halfway with you (which the AT is the king of)

The point I was making isn't that getting 16's is super rare, it's that being able to get 1-2 16's without completely handicapping your stat build AND getting a feat is way too good

>+1 stat feats
>better than racials
still not seeing it m8

>then you take a feat that gives you another +1 in your main stat
that pretty strongly limits your choice of feats hombre. most feats that give you a stat bonus aren't that great.

If you're talking about UA expertise feats then you only have yourself to blame for not realizing that UA isn't built to be perfectly balanced

The most broken feats do not give you + in stats.

Anyone?

Getting 1-2 16's without handicapping your stat build isn't very difficult. Point buy gets you to 15, then literally any race that gives the stat bonuses you want will push you further than that. Hell, if someone went dwarf they can get two 17's - or if they go the aforementioned half elf they get a +2, AND two +1's to work with.

Yes, feats are absolutely powerful. No doubt about that. That's why people often recommend limiting the most game changing feats until level four. Yes, getting a stat bonus from a feat can certainly be powerful - but the feats that give stat bonuses tend to be ones that lean more on flavor. Just get people to lean more towards the flavor ones; because humans race packages are pretty shit without feats.

Guys it's simple

Just ban GWM, PAM, SS, and XBE as starting feats for Variant Humans.

They can take them later but not at Level 1.

just skimming the college of whispers my only guess is that it feels too edgelordy for some peoples taste. I can only guess as to the reason for college of swords.

It's UA is another reason

Just because this is a sfw board doesn't mean 12 year olds are allowed on here kid.

Keep your edge to the comment sections of linkin park videos.

What beast stat block should I pick for my Artificer's mechanical servant? I was thinking Giant Toad just for flavor and reskinning is as a walking iron maiden-like suit of armor. The flavor seems cool but the min/maxer in me doesn't like choosing a CR1 monster. Should I just go Rhino or Eagle instead?

yeah I already came up with that dummy

I've got a bit of an odd question for you guys.

In an upcoming game, I have a Ranger with an animal companion, and another player playing a race clearly based off the same kind of animal.

How the hell should I handle this?

I don't want to tell either player no, but it raises all sorts of bizarre questions in my mind about how an actual animal would interact with an animal-person of the same 'species'.

This was on a list of banned UA though, with the general assumption that anything else is okay

Better idea: dont play artificer until it gets a major revision.

Who is the bigot calling people faggots for not allowing an optional rule. There is plenty of 'edge' to go around.

>tfw half-orcs (barring variant human nonsense) are the best martials
>tfw get shit on for liking half-orcs

It ain't easy being green.

It might be funny just to let it play out.

are they... of different genders?

How do humans interact with chimps? Maybe the race is slightly condescending towards the animal in a 'aw look it think it's people' way

Like goofy and pluto

i never even really understood the point of taking GWM or SS at first level, you're to-hit is low, and most enemies can be taken out with one or two solid hits anyways.

Ask before but didn't get a response.
Best/favorite illusionist build?

Or a dragonborn/kobold type deal

which is why banning it is pretty silly in the first place it's a gamble

>It might be funny just to let it play out.

Of course, but I'm wondering if any of you have come across at similar situation and how it played out for you.

A Tabaxi and an actual panther, or a worgen knock-off with an actual wolf.

That sort of thing.

I have no idea.

But I'm not running *that* kind of game.

now taking Dungeon Delver at level one, with a DM that likes throwing traps around, THAT's overpowered.

What about a variant human that gets a pick of two to 3 racial features, justified by their mixed heriatage and integration into other societies.

Two to three racial features from what?

Just started playing in a Horde of the Dragon Queen campaign. I know I'm going to roughly 10th level. Made a level 1 Half-Orc Melee Ranger with favored enemy Dragon. I died during the first session, but am pretty sure I will be res'd back. What should I take in future levels and why?

I heavily enjoy thematics but also like being OP (I know I sure as hell went in the opposite direction with my choices).

Oh my bad, bouncing between threads and misread

Any other race.

I just imagined a wolf companion and a wolf-man both scratching their ear at the same time, right next to each other. The party looks over, and the wolf-man, embarrassed, says "I don't know him." The wolf barks.

it'll only get weird if someone makes it weird, just don't let it get weird, unless it'll make for a great story, then just say fuck it all and let it happen

fuck no

You have to put some limit on that or people are going to be pulling 120 foot darkvision 50 foot flight humans out of every orifice

That seems like that might even be more ridiculous, to some degree. It also creates some really awkward situations where EVERY human is a weird mutt of races fucking their ancestors.

Think Arcane Archer will be redone to be more like EK and AT with some actual spellcasting too?

Gets it out of the way pretty much, or if you have someone in the party who can give you a slight edge to hit early on that can help out by making that two solid hits a one for sure.

Nah, I kinda doubt it.
Wish they'd give you the option to make your shots elemental. Like the nature cleric's.

What character have you personally had the most fun playing? What race/class/subclass were they?

I mean previous editions let humans gain exp faster, but with most people usuing milestone I'm not sure thwt's all too useful.

I wish arcane archer worked with crossbows too.

>be Variant Human
>+1 racial to Wisdom makes it 16 (+3)
>take Observant feat (+5)
>pick Perception as a bonus skill proficiency (+2)
>choose Rogue as my class
>pick Perception as one of my Expertise skills (+2)

>tfw you ruin every single surprise, trap, and ambush the DM could possibly plan because you have a Passive Perception of 22 at Level 1 and they can't just make stupid-high DC hazards without fucking over the rest of the party

eh if you roll well, you can get +5 at level 1, so it makes it not crazy to take GWM or SS, hell even just canceling out the negative effect can be fine versus most shit you'd fight at level 1-3

>rolling for stats

Nigga pls

Does Arcane Archer even work that well considering you can only use 2 of its main abilities every short rest? Shouldn't it be like 2 + INT modifier?

Nah. I don't see spellcasting.
That would be pretty sweet, though.

Does it not?
It REALLY should. Hopefully they address that.

Frenzy barbarian with 1 lvl dip in steam knight (it's a homebrew artifice subclass).
It's a medium armored barbarian with a weapon unique to them, steam spear (heavy,reach,two handed). And you can expend a class recourse to use the steam spear as a rocket dash 20ft in any direction.

My jump height was 6ft. Unarmed reach was 11.5ft. Weapon reach was 10ft and attack range was 10ft. Plus the 20ft vertical dash.

So when I told the DM I wanted to hit the guy that was flying 30ft in the air he looked at me funny. But I jumped, then ran the Wyrmling through with the heavy spear, and as I reached the apex of the jump I began falling back past the dragon and (frenzy barb bonus action attack) volleyballed the dragon deep into the ground.

It's honestly really really fun to play a super mobile melee character.

>Player wants to run the UA ranger because the PHB ranger is weak
>Read through it. Seems okay.
>He chose "Humanoid: Orc" as his favored enemy.
>Can now use Primeval awareness as Orc Radar whenever he wants.

Now the fuck what. I've been able to creatively problem solve a lot of things. But now I'm at an impasse. He's checking pretty constantly (honestly one minute isn't that long, so it's no issue) and I have two options:

1) Reduce the number of orcs as planned enemies as they are now suspense-less creatures.

2) Alter his character abilities which is shitty to do so after the fact. Not to mention I have no idea how I'd alter it to balance it.

You looking at the revised verdion? Revised gives the ability to turn non magic arrows into +1 arrows at level 3, and later gives you the ability to redirect your missed shots to a new target as a bonus action, then later you get 1 charge of your spell arrows back if you have none when you roll initiative.

Nope, shortbows and longbows only.

Stop throwing orcs at them, dumbass.

UA ranger doesn't require you to specify a humanoid race like phb does, it applies to ALL humanoids.

I don't, you cunt. But they remain a major geopolitical player and part of the backstories of several players. Now instead of there being any surprise, they can use ranger radar to track whoever they want down.

Haha, you're right. I'm fucked.