EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Previous: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Horrible place with primers, access at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread Question: Any Ixalan legends you are excited to build around? How are you going to build their deck?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/perpetual-motion-machine-1/
smileylich.com/mtg/magocracy/visual/Imp_[Tribal]_visual.html
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/erebos-sac-race/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm embracing my inner Timmy.

Ill see your book and raise you an 80s cartoon

I almost made Kambal my newest commander, ended up going with pic related

Fourth for Vampires.

Feel free to do that. Dinotopia has some truly spectacular art, I really do recommend finding a hard copy, James Gurney is an influence on a lot of MtG artists.

>Any Ixalan legends you are excited to build around? How are you going to build their deck

The only way this deck could be made for me even more is they were Dinosaur Dragons.

Building this guy, post spicy tech

Daru Spiritualist

Same here.
But Goring Ceratops makes me angry.
7 MANA 3/3.
AND IS RARE TOO.
FUCK YOU.

Tree of Perdition

I badly need to reform this deck, but what direction should I take it in for maximum shenanigans? Maybeboard is stuff I've been perusing in my free time (though there are a couple shitty cards in there I haven't gotten around to removing); I'm already planning to cut the taxes, GA/Pili-Pala meme combo, and replace Magus with Memnarch.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/perpetual-motion-machine-1/

what is the most special snowflake tribal deck possible? gorgon?

What is the most meta slave/no fun allowed one? Vampires?

Are there any obnoxious staple cards taht should be banned, like Sol Ring or Cyclonic Rift?

The problem with dinosaur tribal is that support for it will be very far in between, since dinosaurs doesn't fit in 99% of the sets.

Also maybe tree of redemption if you can give lifelink at instant speed

Why can't they just put dinosaurs in core sets? Come to think of it, they can cram dinosaurs into way more setting than you think.

What do you guys think about proxy alter commander cards? I mean someone who takes a commander, goes to a proxy maker, maybe puts it in a extended art frame and puts a completely different are for the card? Would you let him play with it or just request to have the original card?

My playgroup is kinda conflicted on this issue.

why ban sol ring? mana crypt I could potentially see because of price point but even then not really

Well, we are getting 2 set worth, plus maybe something in Dominaria.
There were dinosaurs there, right?

>objecting to people making all of their cards into qt animu grills
As long as all of the rules text is there, what's the problem?

I understand being iffy on proxies into multiple decks when they only own one copy or none at all, but why could it possibly matter if it's a straight alter or something, as long as it's legible?

I would be ok with it either if they own the actual card and can pull it out to show it or if its an actual alter done on the real card. Im not ok with people using that to just skimp out on buying expensive cards

Core sets aren't setting-less. Though they are turning some lizards into dinosaurs, so expect more.
It really depends on the quality. If it's a shitty vidya alter or a half naked anime girl then I'd tell them to stop, especially since we play with my younger siblings, if it's an original piece, extended art, then I don't really care.

>thread question

I was thinking about building Ramirez De Pietro for pirate tribal around the time the sheet got leaked so it is nice to get a catch all pirate captain. Wish the ability was better and that it was a grizzled middle aged man or a young sexy lady Instead of a granny. But what ever, it will still be fun.

I started working on building a Neheb deck recently. Anyone have any spicy secret tech?

those alters

Someone paid to have this priceless cardboard defaced in such a way.

>priceless
Except it has a price, which he paid.

>$29.00 on TCGplayer

I felt like an idiot buying 2 of them for $10 two days ago and I got the vampire deck so I own 3 but what the fuck? This price cant hold.

I'm sure it'll dip back down, but certainly not back to $10. You did good.

yeah it's a buyout for some reason. Only a page left on tcgplayer. doesn't really make much sense to buyout something like this so early from release.

illicit auction
acidic soil
kaboom

Probably with autismbucks. Your tax dollars financed this disaster.

Price of Progress

Have investors ever been this rampant before?

>most special snowflake tribal deck
Eye

On a more serious note, imps are an extremely fringe type that has enough creatures to build a deck out of, but they're mostly bad creatures. smileylich.com/mtg/magocracy/visual/Imp_[Tribal]_visual.html

Slivers and maybe now vampires are more aggressive tribal decks that pose an actual threat without totally relying on Coat of Arms effects to win.

I don't pay taxes :^)

I would definitely play with it. 4/5 times they look dumb but it doesn't affect the game so it's all good.

>price point
By that logic the dual lands would be banned.

This is a casual format so you should play whatever you're comfortable with and come to agreements with the people you play with.

>I understand being iffy
What difference would it make if they resleeved and moved cards around in between games? That would just be a waste of time.

hey hey ho ho this shitty format has got to go

there's people who pay 20 dolars for a shitty sketch of a bad designed character while still living on a minuscule flat so i'm not even surprised

alters are ok as long as it has something to do with the actual card. proxies are not ok unless it is for testing purposes and you plan on buying the card

It just seems to be right at the edge. I don't personally care, but there's more of an argument against that than there is regular old alters

Is there any reason to avoid lowering the average CMC of the spells in my deck? I undestand edh is supposed to be slower but I really don't like just loading my deck down with multiple spells that are 6 CMC or greater. I don't use any mana rocks that cost more than 2.

well recently it's felt like there are a lot more people trying to "invest" in magic. Think what happened was that last years commander decks jumped up value super hard due to lack of product, so a lot more people are trying to get in on this year's commander decks in hope's of getting some easy cash.

Teferi's Protection is kind of interesting due to Phasing. It probably won't see any sort of reprint for a while, but could easily find itself in another supplementary product. The card can't be worth $30 though, the entire deck itself is like $35-40 MSRP, and a single card can't carry that much value by itself.

>a single card can't carry that much value by itself

at least not while the product is still widely available*

I tried making "Lich" tribal work, but it's just too much of a crap-shoot since so few of the Zombie and Wizard tribal cards are both.

>tfw got 4 for 10 a piece

AND YOU FAGGOTS LAUGHED AT ME FOR BUYING 30 OF THEM WHEN THEY WERE 10 DOLLARS EACH

WHO IS LAUGHING NOW?

I'll stop laughing when you move them.

better start selling them now.

There is no obvious Flusterstorm/True Name Nemesis in this commander set so I think people are just assuming that this must be the constructed playable card.

It's not actually going to be a significant Legacy/Vintage card like those were though so the 30$ price is a meme (unless the print run is tiny).

Aside from Doubling Season memes, does he have a spot in any deck you can think of? 3 mana for continuous looting might be good in certain strategies.

I love his new design. The outfit looked so weird with the cloak contrasting it, but the shorter hair and asymmetry really help it come together.

You can just admit you're gay. As for the card, it seems pretty weak unless you're doing some sort of ophidian/looting theme. Honestly, kind of weak even then given that you can just run Coastal Piracy.

maybe something like Sygg or Edric?

fuck jace
fuck maro
fuck you

There have always been silly reactions to new printings or rule changes. When Laboratory Maniac was first spoiled I went online and ordered a playset of Levelers for $1 or less and the next day he spiked to 5$ or something stupid. There is a combination of more literally autistic people playing magic and trying to profit from it and a more concrete change in that the game keeps getting older.

Speculators and normal demand are more and more impactful as the game gets older and the number of players keeps increasing. Sisay and Empress Galina are 17 years old and Galina has never been reprinted. There are tons of non-investors today that just want to buy one copy of her so that they can steal a planeswalker from their friend who plays superfriends.

Drop of Honey is a more radical example. It's a rare from Arabian Nights and this year it started seeing a very small amount of play in Legacy sideboards so the price went from around 200$ to around 450$ extremely quickly. Speculators are part of the problem but get so mad at them that it is easy to ignore the tiny supply.

Jace the body sculptor

I disagree, the price on this card is for its being a new edh staple, on the level of Cyclonic Rift, because it's the Cyclonic Rift answer

>and a single card can't carry that much value by itself.
That is exactly what Flusterstorm and TNN did though. Even while those decks were on shelves those cards cost 30$.

Why is there still no "destroy all creatures and all artifacts" wipe?

I don't think TTN and Flutterstorm where super high cost when the sets were only a week old. Once they found a home in older formats, then yeah their prices spiked. The decks themselves were a lot harder to come by too due to a short print run, and increased a ton in value from MSRP. The current product is still going to be wildly available and easy to find so there's no reason for Tefferi's Protection to hold a $30 value.

>tfw bought one for 3 euro
That's for reprinting Zedruu in front of my nose you kikes

I was there and they were 20$+ from release. People knew how good they were from when the were spoiled. TNN didn't have any kind of Tarmogoyf effect where it was underrated for a while. Flusterstorm is only played in Vintage but it was identified as a top tier counter spell immediately. I'm still shocked that Vintage +cEDH is enough demand to keep Flusterstorm at $80.

Austere Command is almost that

Are the Amazon prices currently worth it ($50.00-$55.00) for the C17 precons? Neither my local Target nor Walmart have stocked the pre-cons, and it the next closest one is a good 40 miles away.

no

I need as many R/W ways to dodge "exile all creatures" or "tuck all creatures" boardwipes as possible. I already have Ghostway, Eerie Interlude, Teferi's Protection, and Legion's Initiative. What other options are there?

>Neither my local Target nor Walmart have stocked the pre-cons
That's better than being sold out. I would ask them for info on when they come in and try to get them for MSRP. The decks are only a week old so I think there are more coming.

4 is more than enough, 3 seems better but do as you will

Teferi's protection isn't played in either and honestly it's just a novelty card

He can't protect you from Aetherflux Storm or Labman, and I don't think a 3 mana don't lose will cut it in vintage

I want Jace to cum inside me

Planar Guide, but it blinks everyone's creatures.

That's all of them unless you can repeat Flickerwisp's ability enough times to flicker your board.

Still good against the wrath-playing control deck.

My friend runs Esper control and has 10-12 boardwipes against my tribal combat deck, so I want as many options as possible, even if I don't use them all.

Thanks, anons.

Not edh but Im thinking of him taking a spot in some U/W monument decks in standard right now
I'll put one in spymaster

>Realizing a couple days later you could have won a game you lost

>Figuring out your one out 30 seconds after you scoop

Sac Outlet + Second Sunrise/Faith's Reward
Glorious End

Good suggestions, thanks user.

>Glorious End
Better pair that shit with an Angel's Grace

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/erebos-sac-race/

Can Veeky Forums muster up any recommendations for monoB sac?

sadistic hypnotist

Gate to Phyrexia

$15 seems a bit much for an effect that's largely redundant if I have Karn out.

gud card, now I just have to find something to cut for it, thanks

now that's some spicy tech

>monastary mentor restricted
YOU FUCKED UP

Does this means that my tsabo tavoc can now destroy planeswalker?

>destroy target legendary creature
user, you may be retarded

You done fucked up.

Only a Sarkhan or Gideon Jura

>legendary creature
Gotta read the oracle text bro.

>gideon jura
>indestructible
If you can get around that....

>0: Until end of turn, Gideon Jura becomes a 6/6 Human Soldier creature that's still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.

OG Gideon is the only one that isn't indestructible

The uppercase "L" in Legend means the creature type "Legend". Compare it to the text for Captain Sisay and it'll make sense. There are some cards like Willow Satyr that are completely ambiguous but wotc errated them to include creatures exclusively. Willow Satyr would be spiking hard if it could steal a planeswalker. It'd be at least $100.