Mouseguard

What are some tips for running and playing Mouseguard?

Other urls found in this thread:

anonfile.com/VfL3qdcdb4/Cards.rar
youtube.com/watch?v=kzuMsDDV4FA
youtube.com/watch?v=QUvsRvNfCUo
dropbox.com/sh/18imkkgdxw5s0oy/AAAcSXOavL_u_UKt7V58Yo3Ca?dl=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't get eaten by cats?

Been eyeing this one for me and my GF and some friends.

Any fun?

I dunno. My group is gonna play it after we finish our 3.5 DnD campaign, as a stepping stone to Burning Wheel. It looks pretty fun to me, but I was hoping some more experienced players/gms could give me some tips.

I loved the books.

I might pick it up and run it next month.

Just gonna post some cool Mouseguard stuff

Oh shit, more interest in Mouse Guard. I haven't run any games myself yet, but I support your initiative with a bump.
There are also quite a few videos on YT for prep and running MG games, if you're into that.

user posted a bunch of play aides and such in a previous thread

Send-space
filegroup/mKuNngod8bkphMxWRagQsFo7rUk7P3UuEDAZNw59lPD6D3xEpZv0dLBJLOuXtIUxSFYCmZlyRHpQ2bGoGKOEdg

My introduction to Mouseguard was when my fiancee saw the Mouselings by Reaper when we were at the FLGS and she decided she wanted to learn to paint.

It was a beekeeper. I love the model so much

>classes
Blatant lies

Just found it online. Don't blame me.

thank you for sharing user!

>want to play this with friends
>almost no one digs medieval Militares Sans Frontieres mouse adventures in Outer Lockhaven

Why live bros

Toot toot faggots

Mouseguard is fucking brilliant and I love it to bit. I haven't managed to play much, and never ran my own game. Only advice I can give is to find and read the comics if you haven't already. They'll give you a good idea of the mood you're looking to emulate, and help get in the mindset of "any critter is suddenly a fucking epic encounter when you're a mouse".

You really need to know the whole trust of a story arc ahead of time. Thats pretty much it.

Coming from 3.5 your group will probably find it boring though.

You will probably need to work at enforcing the gear restrictions so they dont just horde items they deem useful. Whatever you do dont give them a cart, as you cant justify the gear restrictions beyond that point. For newer players that would be a problem, but with 3.5 grognards they're gonna be in the looting mindset.

Make everyone describe their actions and help, so it won't turn into boring roll fest.
Encourage player to flavor their actions and descriptions with mousiness, lead by example, otherwise it's not really that different from mundane fantasy game.
Explicitly state that achieving their goals and ticking belief/instinct checkboxes is more important then success of mission at hand, it might be hard to grasp coming from other games, as reword structure here is fairly different. Or they might be a bit upset after finding out they missed fate/person roleplaying rewards even though they completed their mission flawlessly. Though it might be a better way to understand how rewards structure works for some people, dunno.
You don't have to always make Gwendolyn give missions at Lockhaven / by mail. Make them roleplay discussion of the situation at hand and ask patrol leader to state a new mission.
Ask if they are more interested in behind-the-scenes mousy political struggle or they just want to go fight Owls and shit, probably good idea to ask this before character creation so you won't get patrol divided in their interests.
Make them answer question as a group to form the fronts they would be interested in. Something like:
- (Nature/Weather) Spring rarely comes without a surprise, what problems did it bring this time?
- (Society) You heard disturbing rumors of civil unrest in the mouse territories, what is going wrong?
- (Weasels/Animals) Scouts report sightings of the old enemie returning, who is it?
- (Whatever they are more interested in) herpderp, barp?
1/2

Jump scene to scene, don't bog down in step by step descriptions. Don't fear to abbreviate big time-frame tasks into a simple roll, if no one is invested.
There is no grind in that game, or death outside of killing conflict, so feel free to hit them with condition left and right.
Often prompt them with ways to earn checks when they roll.
If they have a long disagreement don't shy away from PvP social skill rolls. It's not a mind control, in this game it's literally GM takes control of your character for while, in all failed rolls actually.
Nudge them to have Argument conflict in the players turn afterwards. Hope you players aren't fucking babies and can separate themselves from characters, taking directors view at situation.
Be sure to allocate time for end of session part, it takes maybe 10-15 minutes at most, but involves a discussion and thus requires your player not to be drained out of energy.

As you can see, most of those aren't really mouse guard specific, so fork BW-wise, Flavor of the year system-wise, Players-wise etc, as you see fit.
2/2

Also here is the roll20 conflict page background i use.
Just add text boxes with team names and disposition score at the top of red thingy and Conflict goals at the bottom.
Ah yes, and make sure they always choose ambitions conflict goals, otherwise it's hard to bargain for compromise.

There are many MG actions card packs around the net, but this one is mine. Also it has weapons.
anonfile.com/VfL3qdcdb4/Cards.rar

thanks a lot user. Do you have any advice for running the game with 2-3 players?

3 players is the best for this system desu. Firstly because Round in a conflict consist of 3 volleys, so everyone get to make an action every round. Secondly because character can benefit from help of 2 other mice, so you can get everyone involved in every roll / consequences of failure. And you can more or less cover all the essential skills with 3 mice.
For 2 players don't forget to alternate their moves in a conflict. Be mindful of what areas they are lacking in, but it's ok to throw an obstacle for missing skills too, so they can learn them. Just maybe not too many of those.
With 2 players, I would also probably won't force them to take a patrol leader if no one wants to.
Also people seem to like having character creation followed by whole session in one go. For me it seems that it ends up in either exhausting 5 hour session / rushed / cut short. I'd suggest having separate session 0. It also helps to plan / adjust accordingly to completed PCs too.

Also watching decent games is great way to learn things about new systems so here is some decent games.
youtube.com/watch?v=kzuMsDDV4FA
youtube.com/watch?v=QUvsRvNfCUo

Play Mouseguard system with Redwall Lore

Thank you user!

Great advice

You sound like a good dm

My lizard brain can't grasp how to run this game, but I bought the 2nd edition boxed set and its fucking beautiful.

Make sure you understand the difference between the GM's turn and the Player's turn.

During the GM's turn, the GM will be throwing a bunch of Obstacles in the player's path, normally two or three Obstacles. Each Obstacle is comprised of either one test, a series of tests or a conflict. The players can always roleplaying during and between each Obstacle, and suggest ways to deal with the Obstacles, but the GM always has the final word. He'll for example say something like "On your third day of travelling down the road between X town and Y town, a flash flood hits the area, and what was once a simple wayroad, is now a vicious river. You'll have to ford it quickly if you are to complete your mission in time, there's no time to waste waiting for the flood do die down." If it sounds kinda railroady, it's because it pretty much is: he sets the Obstacle, and the players have to deal with it. The fun comes from roleplaying and knowing how to use your traits and skills to overcome each Obstacle and Conflict. Failure either results in simple condition boxes being checked, or the more interesting Twists that result in further Obstacles. During the Player's Turn the party has full freedom to do whatever they want though, as in a "regular" RPG, but they're limited to the number of checks they gained during the GM's Turn. This dynamic emulates the feel of the comics extremely well, as you truly feel like a band of daring, adventurous mice struggling for survival.

Those are the four Combat options. Blue is Feint, Purple is Maneuver, Orange is Defend and Red is Attack.

Just retool the fluff to something more palpable.
Find a genre that they are willing to play mice in and go from there.
I've been thinking a bit of a post-apoc game where all the humans are dead or undead and mice and other animals have been getting better at recycling technology for their own purposes.

You can try Torchbearer if you are in for the system rather then the setting. Probably a bit more people would be interested in classic dungeon raiding over medieval mice.

is torchbearer basically mouseguard without mice?

It's more like expansion pack, there are more mechanics there. It's OSR style dungeon crawl mouse guard. Go into the dungeon, try not to die. Come back to town, sell loot. try not to starve / get a kidney massaged by debt collectors. Go into the dungeon again. Be miserable all along.
Main differences are:
You are not mice: Elf, Dwarf, Human adventurers, mages, clerics all that stuff. They still get to keep Nature stat though and it's pretty cool. Like elf goes to max nature and decides to fuck off into elfland forever.
Grind: every roll adds to the grind count, if it ever goes to 4 everyone gets a condition. You have to camp to reset it back to 0. And camping takes a check.
It's deadly: you can die more. Dead is a condition you can get after every other condition is checked, also there is more conditions.
Inventory management: pick related, every item takes a slot or several.
Towns phase: it's like a more structured players turn with bunch of activities.

Basically it's more stuff, but you still get the fun of playing your believes, instincts, traits, achieving goals, and all that. But with 500% more suffering.

I think it's less rules intensive, myself.

Have some PDF's. dropbox.com/sh/18imkkgdxw5s0oy/AAAcSXOavL_u_UKt7V58Yo3Ca?dl=0

The physical book is excellent, btw. Made to look really retro, like an old AD&D book, but high quality.

I know its discouraged for whatever reason, but id love to play a game with you guys

Why is it that replacing humans with mice makes a setting so comfy.

>What are some tips for running and playing Mouseguard?

Read the fluff, play FATE in it instead.

Man, have you read Mouseguard? Ain't nothing comfy about that setting. It's not grimderp, but it's pretty damned gritty.

>comfy

>COMFY
>O
>M
>F
>Y

What advantages does FATE have over mouseguard?

None, really. It's all a matter of taste. He/she/it is just someone who doesn't like the MG system and has to shill his/her/it's favorite.

Maybe refluff it as "the land of giants" they are human that end up stranded in another world that is just like earth but everything is bigger

Same, the game I tries playing was called off