Forgotten Heroes?

Does the "current" Imperium remember heroes like Loken, Tarvitz, Luther and Garro who stayed loyal to the Emperor despite their Leigon and Primarch going traitor?

No. Any information of that would be suppressed. Most Imperials would barely know any details of the Heresy at all, save that some space marines went baddy but the loyalists beat them and now they hide in the Eye of Terror while the Emperor di- RECOVERS, RECOVERS on the Golden Throne

Not widely, no, given the tight control of information about the HH and Chaos in general.

On the other hand, the elite (some SM Chapters, the =][=, etc) surely do. Garro & Loken are heavily hinted to be amongst the founding fathers of the Grey Knights in the Pandorax novel, so they also know about their story.

Well I mean the average citizen knows the Primarchs and guys like Bjorn who fought the traitors, why bother keeping those other guys secret?

>Luther
LUTHER SHOT FIRST!

Because

1. It involves admitting how close they came to losing everything, or that Chaos is more than just sporadic raids by madmen and the occasional fractious black crusade by an armless warlord

2. giving them identities humanizes Chaos and presents the same problem loyalists struggled with during the heresy itself - that their enemies were human, once their brothers and sisters, their allies, and for some reason had turned against the Imperium and everything it stood for. Which then begs the question, why? Which further begs - are they onto something?

And such thoughts lead to heresy and betraye

In a recent novel a full blown Inquisitor acted like it was some big bomb to mention that he knew about the existence of Cthonia, I think it's fair to assume the current Imperium is not well versed in the specifics of the Heresy.

But all those people were ultramarines, there were only ever 9 legions, bring whoever told you about this rot with you to your local arbitrator/commisar for "reeducation"

>Luther
>loyalist
yeah nah mate, come over 'ere so i can give you a bash on the head with me chaplains stick.

I guess they are scribes / historians who remembers but most citizens probably don't, it was 10k years ago. Just look at here on earth, most peoples can't name the heroes of WW1 or WW2 except for the most notables ones, and it was 100 years ago

yet everybody knows alexander and the khan. world/galaxy shattering stories aren't forgotten so easily

>yet everybody knows alexander and the khan.

Yes but give me the name of a few "heroes" (officers) that fought in their armies without googling it ?

>the average citizen knows the Primarchs and guys like Bjorn who fought the traitors,

No they don't. The average citizen barely knows anything because the Imperium doesn't even take the effort to tell them the things they are allowed to know about history.

Hephaestion, Krateros.

Subutai, Jebe.

Since Luther never received a geneseed, shouldn't he be considered as a Thunder Warrior?
That makes Lionel Johnson an even bigger faggot for losing to him.

If they know about loyalist members of traitor legions, they probably don't know their real origins. They're most likely attributed to known loyalist legions or the generic loyalist faction as a whole.

so many greek names you mix them up. i kinda know who they are thanks to the movie. but i know subotai

The guy was daemonically buffed at the time.

no

also losing to a thunder warrior is no shame

/thread

No, they in general will know of the Primarchs, because they're seen as demi-god sainted children of the Emperor and are worshipped. Shit, Guilliman's shrine on Macragge was a destination for billions of pilgrims.

Remember when that Inquisitor shit his pants when he met Bjorn in The Emperors Gift?

I don't really buy it.

You'd think that a mythologized version of the Horus Heresy would be the bible stories of the Imperial Cult, with Horus playing Satan.

Chaos should be seen as a constant threat to the Imperial way of life, not miscreants that are easily crushed.

To create a totalitarian state fueled by zealous hatred there needs to be a state of fear and disgust of an enemy. Just look at the Nazis, they inspired fear and hatred of Jews and Bolsheviks. They didn't portray them as just harmless rats, they were snakes that were going to destroy Germany.

On top of that showing that even the Emperor's sons could fall to Chaos shows the people that the nobody is safe from the taint of chaos, and ANYBODY could be a heretic.

Chaos as a concept feeds itself on the number of people who are aware of it. Chaos is a secret known only to those who directly fight it because every person who knows of it powers it slightly, and is exponentially more likely to fall just because now they know that they can.

Because the Imperium has a vested interest in making disobedience a foreign concept.

Wouldn't being ignorant of chaos make it much easier to subvert the Imperium? If people don't know what chaos looks like then cults can operate far easier. Besides isn't the IoM supposed to be modeled off of the many police states from history? How does the state get its legitimacy if not from the collective fears of the people?

And how would you keep a lid of the nature of chaos? What about the countless billions of retired Guardsmen who have had run ins with heretics? And what about in the New Fluff, where the galaxy has been cut in half by warp storms?

It just doesn't make sense logically, or thematically, to have a complete and total censor on anything even related to chaos. How would they run propaganda to inspire fear of chaos if it's heresy to even depict the dark forces?

>Well I mean the average citizen knows the Primarchs

The average citizen knows Sanguinius due to Sanguinala and Im sure their version of Sanguinius is different than what the BA have, beyond that the average citizen knows jack shit.

>He thinks 40k is a well thought out setting.
Adorable.

>What about the countless billions of retired Guardsmen

That doesnt exist, you live and die in the Guard and those that survive demonic incursion are sent to suicide missions or executed on the spot. The Imperium runs on filling the heads of their citizens with good thoughts about the Imperium, a citizen cannot fall prey to chaos if their heads are full of ignorance and devotion to the Imperium at large.

So there are no veterans from the guard? As soon as they get too old to fight they're executed on the spot? If a unit of guardsmen fight cultists and slaughter them, they still get executed?

How did the Vostroyans, or world for that matter, develop a martial culture if every man who served in the Guard was killed?

Also, name a single totalitarian regime that runs on positive energy instead of hatred of the enemy.