So can we all agree that Shelob was actually the true hero of LotR?

So can we all agree that Shelob was actually the true hero of LotR?

Yes, which is why she turns into a sexy spider woman in Shadows of Wardor.

>Firstly, it's important to understand that de Plater's approach to Shelob comes from an interpretation that she and Gollum are, in fact, the unsung heroes of The Lord of the Rings. Put simply, it's his take that Frodo fails to cast the ring into the fires of Mount Doom at the crucial moment - instead Gollum succeeds where he cannot (albeit tumbling into the fire himself along the way). According to de Plater, that weakness in Frodo was something Shelob sensed, making a pact with Gollum and hastening him on his way to Mount Doom and the final confrontation that saw the ring destroyed. It also goes some way to explaining why Shelob tried to eat Frodo in The Two Towers.

>It was that duality (being one of the saviours of Middle-earth while also being a giant, horrifying spider), de Plater explained, that drew the team to Shelob as a central character in Shadow of War. "There were two things that were a starting point for our inspiration. A big part of what we do is look at these characters that are in kind of the grey zone - they're not as pure good as Gandalf or Aragorn, they're more human. Characters we're inspired by, characters like Boromir and Saruman and Denethor, because I think sometimes Lord of the Rings gets characterised as being oversimplified, black and white, good guys vs bad guys, but actually there are these incredible nuanced characters.

I feel like calling it Lord of the Rings was always just a way to import lore and focus on making an action game. Not that that's wrong exactly, just odd that they chose the most prolific fantasy world and then throw stuff out the window when it became inconvenient

jesus christ, how dumb can you be

so second paragraph seems smart, even, but the first one is just a little bit completely retarded
>According to de Plater, that weakness in Frodo was something Shelob sensed, making a pact with Gollum and hastening him on his way...
Why would Shelob want the Ring destroyed? Hell, why would she even care?

It's funny because to me LoTR is the struggle of the little man, you have these hobbits to contrast with the warrior kings like Aragorn.
And even then Aragorn is made awful small when he runs into Nazguls etc.
Then they make a video game with an Aragorn insert that does Gears of War style executions.

Y tho?

because if they made something like, for example sil, the average person would say it's "too hard!!!" and "unfairs foreverials!!!".

Or so says a fat girl in marketing in her late 60 while her senior nods in agreement as his last grey hairs fall off. They're truly taking risks.

Shelob is literally the Darkness outside of Creation, outside Melkor's understanding of the Song of Creation.
Shelob is the hero in the same way that Azathoth is the hero. Or entropy.

I think that was Ungoliant.

Oh fuck off, this tired ass re-imagining of villians as tragic and misunderstood heroes is almost as cliched as "but what if Luke skywalker is a boy in a coma and the star wars saga are his dreams"

Fuck off

Cause its cool.
That and the feels of a book dont translate well with video games. Its two very different medias.

Glad someone else hates it as much as I do.
If you're going to do so much mental gymnastics, why the fuck read the book at all?

Why did you make two threads about this?

>A big part of what we do is look at these characters that are in kind of the grey zone - they're not as pure good as Gandalf or Aragorn, they're more human.
>despite being a giant, man eating Spider

I mean, I've thought up a stupid, fan-ficcy character that loved Shelob as a grand old Great Aunt who always shared her meals with her smaller cousins.

Said character, of course, was a frigging Spider.

>girl
>in her late 60
???

Now just imagine these pics, but with a hot woman.

You mean Stoya?

I guess the developers wanted to have a name character that seduce the protagonist to do her biding because he is a lonely man.
And they need conflict between this seductress and kelebrimbon (how ever is written)

But if she love is saying seductive stuff to talon as a spider, he would look even more retarded for having the hots for a giant realistic spider.

Who knows

Wat

Her being a sexy woman is the biggest crime.

I'm tired and can't write.
Maybe...
Shelove seduce protagonist
Developers think being seduce by a giant spider making look like a dumb ass or a furry
They make shelove a woman because magic
Better?

Nah, I can see it. It's her assuming a form, just like her mother assumed the form of a spider.

Also the idea of Shelob trapping Frodo and then going "/ss/ ara ara?" is hilarious.

Gollum being an unsung hero kind of is the point. In the end, even Frodo couldn't bring himself to destroy the ring, and it took chance in the form of Gollum intervening. It's part of Tolkien's point that even the least being can play an important and unexpected role. Had they killed Gollum earlier, Frodo would have failed in his quest.

Shelob, on the other hand, was never anything but a big spider doing spider things.