Find out my gf has a collection of mtg cards

>find out my gf has a collection of mtg cards
>never saw her playing
>ask her about it
>she says she just likes the pictures on the cards
>she tried playing once but couldn't understand the rules and was defeated so humiliatingly she just gave up
>she still likes the beautiful pictures though

How can I get my gf to play MTG? She's interested in the game but she's the kind of person who feels extremely humiliated and gives up immediately after encountering an obstacle she can't defeat.

>try to teach her self-defense in case someone tries to mug/rape her
>she looks at me with this depressed look and says she's weak, slow and has no reflexes, she can't match up to a man, she'd probably just lie there and hope it's over soon

That's the kind of person she is

First off, I can completely identify with her. Cards are neat, and MTG has a huge variety of cool looking pitchers.

Second, if she doesn't wanna play she doesn't wanna play. Forcing someone to enjoy something doesn't work.

Pretty much. But hey, at least it gives you something you can talk about, even if your initial buy-ins into MtG are different. Maybe you can use it as a gateway too, but that is a big maybe.

Try starting with the EDH precons
Also, she got anything good?
Maybe get her a playmat or something

The one thing I might suggest is inviting her to go with you to a tournament. Lots of people enjoy watching loved ones compete, even if they don't know the rules very well themselves. She might get interested, she might not, but you'll be together and you'll have had that time where she cheered you on and you got to show off.

I think she would really enjoy the game though if she would get over her giving up attitude. She has it in other games too. I beat her and she doesn't want to play anymore, she gets this sad look on her face and goes really quiet and locks herself up in her room and just wants to be alone with herself for a really long time. It's not fun playing with someone like that.

>first thing
Don't teach by forcing her to "fight", and go easy on her.

>second thing
Have her take classes with professionals. And buy her a gun.

She doesn't want to go to tournaments because it makes her depressed that she's not good enough to play. She doesn't want to cheer me up because she sees me as competition.

>cheer me up
Fuck I meant cheer on me.

>buy her a gun
We tried this shooting game at the local arcade and she lost so badly she just went away while I shot by myself. She has no aim, I don't think buying her a gun is a good idea.

Bro, I'm gonna be real with you, there's bigger problems here than her not like a trading card game. If she really reacts like that, and you're not exaggerating, it sounds like she's got some emotional baggage she needs sorted and a card game isn't the medicine for that. What I'm saying is, you need to invent the wheel before you can fix your wagon

>she says she just likes the pictures on the cards
based

>we tried a shooting game
Okay. First of all: you shouldn't be training her for self defense.
Second of all: it doesn't matter what you think her aim is like, you'd take her to a range for instruction and practice before getting the gun.
Third of all: games are not real life.
I used to do far better than my dad on arcade shooting games, but guess who actually used a gun for his line of work and had years of shooting experience? Not me.

>she looks at me with this depressed look and says she's weak, slow and has no reflexes, she can't match up to a man, she'd probably just lie there and hope it's over soon
that's just pathetic. she needs psychological assistance with that attitude

Had a gf like that. Left her in the end because that attitude follows her everywhere, not just things like card games. My new gf is not as bad as yours in that aspect but i dont play anything with her since she has the attention span of a 1 week old puppy dog. Just let it go and play with your friends. Gf is for other stuff if that is her attitude.

She refuses therapy.
Any game where there is no skill or competition at all and/or you can cheat without consequence, like text adventures or old crpgs or CYOAs, she has no problem with them. I've even seen her having fun with them. Anything else she just sadquits. I can tell she's depressed but what can I do about it?

Be emotionally supportive, giving her little victories and encouragement. If she doesn't take the bait and doesn't try to help herself, accept that's what she is like.

And then do whatever you will according to that new understanding of the situation.

She sounds crazy and problematic. I wouldn't be sticking my dick in her if I were you.

>she'd probably just lie there and hope it's over soon

She was describing her sex life with you user.

>giving her little victories

Players who need to be handed victories rather than win them fairly are pathetic though, I can't do this while hiding my conptemt for her. I mean she could just suck it up and go do some girl thing she can actually do if she knows she's so bad anyway.

>what can I do about it?
cheer her up, encourage her, convince her that failure is not the end of the world and definitely nothing to be ashamed of. i mean, she's emotionaly bonded with you, there's many things you can do

Your girlfriend is depressed and weak. It's possible nothing will change that. Forcing her to get help will probably destroy your relationship. Forcing her to train will definitely destroy your relationship.

My advice? Kill her and claim her skull. Or be as supportive as possible when it comes to her solving her own problems. Either one.

Well that's her fucking problem then.

I think I'll just dump her and get a new gf that likes games and doesn't have so many problems.

Hey beats cumming into a sock. She wouldn't do anything to me anyway, worst she would just off herself or something.

Yeah women are just best left out of gaming.

>le ironic shitposte
Well this thread lasted longer than I expected

>just lie there and hope it's over soon
Sexy... but you know what would be even more sexier? Pepper spray or an electric prod

>pepper spray

Many Magic The Gathering players ask the question "How can I get my gf to play MTG?"

Getting your significant other to play Magic with you is a great idea, because Magic is a social game. Magic ensures you will always have something to do on long chilly evenings, or lazy summer days.

Getting new players into Magic, however, is not a trivial task, and while Magic is a simple game at its heart, the many mechanics can be daunting for newer players.

Wizards of the Coast have released a variety of products over time in attempt to ease the new player experience, but they have ranged from terrible to just about medicore. Various problems have plagued the pre-constructed decks Wizards of the Coast have made for this purpose, such as: Inconsistent game experience, bad to nonexisting balance for play against each other, and over-complex mechanics.

My personal recommendation at the time is the Magic Rookie Decks made and sold by Card Kingdom. They are not an official product made by Wizards of the Coast, but rather an unofficial product assembled by Card Kingdom - using genuine Magic cards, I might add. Each deck comes with a small plastic deck case, a rules insert, and a mechanics reference sheet. The decks play consistently and are "simple" (relatively speaking) by design, and most important of all: They are very fun to play, and balanced against each other. The decks are available for only six dollars apiece and have worldwide shipping. Grade: A+.

I hope this post has been of some help to you. Remember, this post was only made possible thanks to a sponsorship from Card Kingdom, as well as my supporters on Patreon. Thank you.

Not my fault if she's an incompetent piece of shit aka a woman. The more I think about it the more pissed off I get. Typical woman being clearly inferior and not just fucking off back in her place. She knows she sucks so why does she have to taint my games anyway? She could fuck off once and for all.

Easy
Tell her to man up

Everyone knows you aren't OP dipshit.

I'd rather she just made me a sandwich and sucked my dick t b h.

That's what women are good for. Women shouldn't have interest in games because they suck at them anyway.

Was she gang raped by her adoptive family when she was a kid while they drowned her puppy dog and burned her toys or something?

>likes the pictures on the cards
What cards she has? Let's try to build a competent deck.
After that, show her that this deck can win some games and then encourage her to play it.

Is pretending to be OP on a Bavarian underwater knitting forum really how you spend your time faggot?

Are you retarded?
If she has self-esteem issues you need to help her believe in herself, she can't do that if you keep crushing her shit because you're a sperg who doesn't understand basic psychology.
At that point she'd be better off if you broke up with her, mongoloid.

For the self defense thing, teach her how to use a gun instead. She's right that most men probably would kick her shit in when it comes to an actual fistfight, but you can't complain about being useless when you've got a gun.

>Garruk playing himself
>not Lilliana playing Garruk and taunting him about it

>electric prod

This, your girlfriend needs help. Help her believe in herself and help her feel like she's not worthless

Hello professor!

>teaching someone a game
>not letting them experience the taste of victory in that specific game before making them taste defeat

Magic duels is a great and free tool to teach someone the game.

Also intro decks.

Be patient, make it fun, dont be a dick.

Sounds like she's afraid of winning.

>worst she would just off herself or something.
As the former housemate of a suicide victim, that's very likely to ruin your life.

build decks that revolve around fun mechanic and not so much around beating an opponent.

I find that once they get the basics, finding 2 more people who are willing to play on a casual skill level makes it a lot more fun for newcomers, they no longer feel like it's always her against you. 4v4 free for all introduces politics, and backstabbing, other exciting opportunities without always being the one getting shit on or ganged up on. can also do 2 headed giant this way which will help her cuz she has someone on her team she can always ask for advice etc.

>>she looks at me with this depressed look and says she's weak, slow and has no reflexes, she can't match up to a man, she'd probably just lie there and hope it's over soon

Wht the fuck are you dating? fuck off from her. are you a useless neckbeard sack of shit like boogie? find a human being

>not willing to cheer on your SO in a game that you can't even put in the time to be good at

Dude, your girlfriend kinda seems like an energy vampire.

Therapy, OP. Keep trying. Good luck.

try those welcome decks, easy as shit to get into it.

taught my girl how to play using those cards and now she is waiting for Ixalan because she wants to make a pirate deck.

it takes time play causally and let her win from time to time.

just make it casual and simple kitchen table magic.

the problem appears to be her defeatist nature, not the instruction she is being given.

You know, if she likes the art and is terrified of things with a lose condition, I wonder if it would be possible to help her gain some confidence through drawing. Maybe as a couple do some online drawing classes so there isn't a professor or class to freak her out, but just you two learning together at your own pace.

Why not just start by just enjoying the activity of collecting cards/artwork and just slowly build from there? She does got some issues to work out though. There's still fun to be had even if you lose.

Your girlfriend sounds like a fucking pathetic wet blanket, which means you probably deserve each other. Also sorry for being overly harsh with my first statement but that's because this also sounds like bait