Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Argus Clusterfuck Edition

Discuss the lore and viability of Warcraft as a tabletop setting.

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y962Ss46oS0
youtube.com/watch?v=dsK7Eh0n1Ho
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

who here team /smug/?

I'm so fucking sick of the cosmic scale creep going on. I hate the magic spaceship crap and I can't help but roll my eyes every time someone says "WORLDS" in regards to the Legion's destruction.

I know Warcraft wasn't always traditional fantasy, but the occasional steampunk shit and pop culture references are infinitely more desirable than the clusterfuck we have now.

Yeah, it was neat when they were just ripping off WHF and doing their own spin, now they're trying to also be 40K and it just doesn't work.

3rd for finally no more Illidan and Xe'ra. Praise be.

Atleast they violently dumped the whole "chosen one" thing.
For those who hated the windchime's prophecy thing, this should be very satisfying:
youtube.com/watch?v=y962Ss46oS0

Also, Alleria a-cute! CUTE!

>Illidan finally did something right

Thanks m8, that genuinely put a smile on my face.

Fuck the light and fuck the naaru.

Now that we had space battles on far-off worlds watch us beat shitty pirates to death for a whole expansion.

Holy fuck, Illidan finally did something right. Even a broken clock and all that, I guess...

>I AM MY SCARS
Maximum Edge

>fuck Xe'ra and fuck Illidan
There, fixed that for you.

kys, elffag. Real women have horns

>DUDE, YOUR FAITH HAS BLINDED YOU XDDDDDDDDDD
What happened?

Im thinking this is what was meant to happen since the beginning even since the moment the prophecy was made. Because they already had the demon hunter class in mind. They couldn't take away the first demon hunter and founder of the class just like that

Imagine what his followers would have thought of him if they had seen him abandoning all his sacrifice just for having his eyes back along with a small burst of power. Like -dude! a bunch of us took our eyes out followng you and now you have your own eyes back? Is that clockwork stuff gonna give our eyes back as well? Because if not then fuck you and your demon hunter class im back to being the ranger i was!

Though i did wanted to see him redeemed. Wanted to see an illidan of the light with feathered wings and all. But hadn't thought of what i just post until now so. I guess he will remain the betrayer. Feels kinda like batman. Always in the dark no matter how good the offer looks

Also. That xe'ra forcing him... didnt looked like a benevolent naaru at all. Could the be another trap from sargueras?

Wasn't this always the plot with everything involving the Burning Legion? It was always an interplanetary invasion force.

Remember when the Naruu were distant, eldritch and alien as fuck, but definitely "good"
Remember when A'dal flew out to Northrend to ensure that the soul of a loyal knight wouldn't be taken by Arthas?
Why did Blizz have to make them into preachy asshole windchimes

Because they needed people to dislike the absolute representation of good so that we'd think that Illidan isn't a complete and utter cunt, which is why they had the preachiest of them all praise him so that we'd root for Illidan killing her because otherwise it would just be yet another on a series of poor choices made by a man who can't admit his own faults

Seriously, have you lot already forgotten that he took over what remained of Draenor and almost destroyed it because he was afraid of some red skinned cunt who gets beaten by a bunch of idiots who play an extended game of whack-a-mole with him?

I'm unironically down with it.

Champion (You) had it with these world-ending menaces and decided to retire on a private yacht into the southern sea - only to find themselves thrown into more adventure (albeit this time with a less apocalyptic tone)

But who am I kidding, no such thing will happen.

>mfw when a gimmicky meme pirate boss in the intro dungeon is harder than mothafuckin Kil'jaeden and Sargeras' Avatar
I can see Blizzard pulling this shit already

She looks like literally every other Blizzard Elf.

The Naaru are not necessarily pleasant while still being distinct forces of good. Sometimes you have to force people into being better, especially if you want to win against an army of demons.
And Xe'ra was a manipulative cunt anyway. Good riddance. A'dal for prime!

I've mixed feelings.

On one hand,
>muh chosen one
nothing of value was lost

On the other hand
>le badass illidan edgelord
it's not an improvement desu

Light that burns is an idea that was pitched a lot in alternate-Draenor, I suppose it is to be expected given how the naaru themselves are shown to work in cycles.

A south seas/kul'tiras/nazjatar expansion as a breather between the heavy stuff seems not all that unlikely, to be honest. Can't dip into killing all the void lords right away, they need more setup.

>On the other hand
>>le badass illidan edgelord
>it's not an improvement desu
He was literally always like that so it's not like he changed one way or the other.

>I'm so fucking sick of the cosmic scale creep going on.
This, although at this point I hope all this shitfest end with a Void victory or something.

>using a generic model for a legendary character
God-fucking-damn, Blizzard.

How long until we have player spaceships?

in b4 he screws up anyway.

>tfw WoW turns into No Man's Sky and does it better because despite how shitty their writing is their games at least work

Game mechanics =/= Lore

You people are such whiners. Just because one naaru is an asshole, it doesn't make them all evil.

>Warcraft Lore and RPG Discussion

Good, perfect, Veeky Forums is a bunch of brainlettes who don't want to talk about lore:

WHERE the FUCK is Kel'thuzad? He's not dead, dead, we never destroyed his phylactery, but we haven't heard from him in AGES and I'm worried Blizzard either forget about him (highly unlikely) or they're gonna do something weird with them (very likely).

Bolvar Fordragon hasn't mentioned Kel'thuzad at all and I find that >suspicious< could he be plotting and working with Kel'thuzad? Is Kel'thuzad independent or allied? Could he even be the man behind the curtain at this point? Pulling a wizard of oz??

Kel'thuzad was recently released in Heroes of the Storm and he makes a meta joke about how 'you players' were so busy looting your tier 6-7 equipment you never bothered to look for his phylactery, so blizzard MUST know he's alive, he said he's alive.

imo they should turn warcraft into fantasy space mmo because since cataclysm it really got gay as fuck that there is a world ending threat every year on azeroth

Warcraft lore is absolute garbage. Why do people still look into it. Oh right, because pre-Cataclysm nostalgia.

Fuck, the writing is so fucking cheesed at this point. I can't help but cringe at all the cutscenes and its adamant stance on cool-factor bullshit.

Sad thing is, that's all true.

The setting has been so thoroughly abused, a sudden franchise discontinuation would mercifully end it.

>resurrecting this general again after its been dead for months just to talk about the latest chapter in wowshit

Maiev did nothing wrong.

Ikr?

It's fucking crazy. I call shenanigans.

>Inb4 the Void Lords show up and he breaks out Sargeras to fight them.

The moment they added Draenei and space ships, the lore began to die. Nothing good has come from what the Draenei has offered for the story and neither have space ships.

WoW was interesting when it was a fantasy world of WC3 with the only way to get to another planet was by big portal gateways.

People have been saying the lore is dead because of [x] reason since before WC3.

The back of the qq line is that way >>>/qq/

SO CUTE!

I really hope they don't ruin him. Kel'Thuzad is such an awesome character.

She's just misguided. Maiev has the potential to be so much more but is so focused on Illidan that it stops her from achieving anything great.

Worst part of Warcraft lore? Ancient elves acting like fucking teenagers.

Jesus fucking Christ almighty. So much for the wisdom of the Night Elves.

The new Warcraft Chronicles books just showcase how bad Blizzard has gotten at writing.

They fucking killed off the Pantheon in the dumbest way possible. And they turned Sargeras into Galactus.

On Maiev, she actually seemed less focused on Illidan this expac than before. Sure, she kept an eye on him and sassed him constantly, but she was also handing out quests and leading the Wardens against the Legion. She also stayed behind on Azeroth and isn't on Argus.

I've always loved her character regardless. She's got the personality of an Inquisitor and embodies what the night elves used to be: Xenophobic savage amazons whose warrior prowess awed even Grom.

I'm hopeful if only because I can't take more disappointment.

This

Space goats and giving Blood Elves to the Horde is what killed everything.

REJOICE!

Brothers the time repulsive low brow writing is reaching its violent end! Know that upon our return from Argus the TRUE masters will have broken through to reclaim Azeroth and its people back into the fold! As the final pieces fall into place an eternal darkness older than the stars themselves shall descend once more and all will rejoice in agonizing despair at their coming! The end finally comes!

Don't forget the Invisible Hat of Insanity so many "villains" wear.

How many fucking characters have they turned "evil" just so they could be raid bosses? My god. Such a waste.

All will die at long last.

That's good to hear. I have legion but I've yet to play through it yet. I'm still leveling my character but I've read about everything upto the beginning of legion and am purposely not looking into anything legion so I can play through it when I get there. It's good to hear that Maiev is less focused on Illidan, I've always liked her character so hearing that gives me hope for her.

FUCK SHITCRAFT AND AGE OF SHITMAR.

BRING BACK FANTASY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

not enough

he's hiding and regenerating. How long does it take for a lich to regain physical form?

Hopefully

The fact that Illidan through the whole expansion has been getting the Final Fantasy 7 treatment is getting a little grating. Like I get that in Warcraft he was dark and a bit of a cunt but now Blizz seems dead set on turning him into Sepheroth MK2
Jesus fucking Christ you can bring back an important lore figure without the constant "Guys look how cool and badass Illidan is! Look guys, he's so dark and edgy and cool, are you looking yet? Not you khaoskid663 you faggot, everyone else look though!" fanwanking

If you were to run a Warcraft/WoW campaign, what era would you run it in? What system?

also known as give me ideas.

Don't know about era, but I've been toying with the idea of converting some of the Iron Kingdoms RPG into Warcraft stuff. It wouldn't be that similar to WoW mechanics-wise but I feel like it would capture the feel of the setting well. Would just require a major fix for healing magic, as it almost doesn't exist in the IKRPG.

Before the First War or during Vanilla

What kind of adventure hooks would you run in the Vanilla campaign? There's a lot you can do.

>Vanilla Fags

Go far back, back to the good old days of the Black Empire.

Your past do shape what you become in one way or another. I think they tried to be more deep than edgy there .

considering a few different campaign settings for a warcraft game. i always thought being amongst the first expeditionary forces into northrend would be really fucking cool, but i'd be hard pressed to find adventure hooks with no established settlements.

another one i was considering was a scarlet crusade campaign, set in either vanilla during their peak, or in the wrath era during their decline. maybe have them be a traveling unit, converting people to the crusade against the undead and the scourge, maybe culminating in an attack on tirisfal settlements?

Been working on a Warcraft homebrew off and on. It's still very rough and hasn't had a balancing/mathing pass yet, but it might shape up eventually. I'd sooner play something like that than renamed D&D.

What are the tax policies of the different warchiefs?

As much as the Warcraft lore sucks, they did create one of the coolest dwarves in fiction.

Fuck. I love these guys.

WC3 personally. though there are lots of eras you could run it. I'd go with which era you know the most about or enjoy the most.

Personally I would prefer to play option one. Maybe the PC's are the ones to help start the settlements. Clearing the areas of enemies then protecting the area while the settlement is built. Going on mission to collect items or materials for the buildings. If you have the game fly around the southern parts of northrend you'll be able to get a lot of hooks from seeing all the stuff. Maybe they are the scouting party having to find stuff in Northrend and report back.

Anything to show off yet? I'm interested

>Personally I would prefer to play option one. Maybe the PC's are the ones to help start the settlements. Clearing the areas of enemies then protecting the area while the settlement is built. Going on mission to collect items or materials for the buildings. If you have the game fly around the southern parts of northrend you'll be able to get a lot of hooks from seeing all the stuff. Maybe they are the scouting party having to find stuff in Northrend and report back.

that'd be the plan, yeah. i just don't think i'd be able to offer much variety in terms of hooks that isn't, "explore this place, scout this place, go collect x." i'll give it some thought, though. maybe i just haven't thought too hard about it.

Are the Warcraft systems any good? Any good alternatives?

I'd probably run a Second War game because that was metal as fuck. Paladins, Deathknights, Orcs riding dragons,dwarves riding griffons. That shit just seems like it'd be a fun game.

Though vanilla would be interesting to run since you have a lot wiggle room. An exploration for BC could be cool or running an Argent Crusade game for WotLK

DnD 4e

A lot of TFT/Vanilla WoW is good stuff. The original forest and jungle trolls are are dope, the naga are interesting, the orcs were on the path to redemption but weren't full dindu, you had paladins walking around with massive fuckoff hammers smiting undead.

It was a fun setting but they tried to go too big and the setting broke under the powercreep.

They could be the first people to find out about new threats that the Lich King has. Like stuff Professor Putricide has made or new frost wyrms etc

I'm putting together a sea-based game. There's so fucking much I can do with Booty Bay.

Technically Wrath and Cataclysm would be good settings as well given the sheer conflict and different settings, moreso with cata but the war against the big LK could paint a pretty cool setting if done right.

Draenei lore is dogshit.

More narrative-ish, D6. Right now it's just messy brainstormings as opposed to something polished.

Illidan the chosen one reshapes the ideals and virtues by which the good guys of Warcraft must strive towards. His actions also retroactively retcons the context of all prior events of the Warcraft saga. Entities we once considered friendly to or allies of the good guys are now malevolent. The Light is not a contrast to the Fel, but rather more of the same.

Just as orcs were made addicts of the Fel, so were humans made addicts of the Light. But whereas orcs tried to fight their Fel addictions, humanity became drunk on it and destroyed its morality with intentions and policies shaped by their beliefs in the Light that can only be best interpreted as misguided. Any 'hero' who devoted themselves to a singular cause for the Light, the Void, the Titans, the Old Ones, or Sargeras are all the same - slaves doing the bidding of those who only wish to shackle the galaxy's denizens and bend them to their will.

Even actions considered heroic in times past are now twisted. The creation of Ashbringer was an act of malice by cultists intent on shaping true power into a great weapon of genocide. Illidan and Arthas were defeated not by free will, but by conspiracies of alien beings who sought to bend Azeroth to their schemes. Through the Light's bidding, genocides were committed time and again out of misplaced faith in the goodness of the Light.

There are no heroes anymore, only those who would side with and embrace the heroic ideals of Lord Illidan.

Do you guys rp on your server?

Tell us about your character,guild and any cool rp fun that happened while playing

A game set during the launch event of Wrath would be fun. You couldn't even go near capital cities for a while because of the plague.

A single person could turn a solid quarter of Stormwind into ghouls if they were persistent enough, it was a fun time.

Are you using the Chronicles diagram for your magic system? It's a beautiful piece from an otherwise terrible book.

Yeah. Doesn't have a particular effect, yet, but I've been keeping it in mind. Having Fire magic be the chaotic reaction of Holy and Fel is pretty neat.

The artwork was the only passable thing about Chronicles. Amazing artists.

Territories before the First War

>Child of Light and Shadow
>Illidindu Nuffingrage
With knowledge that the Fel was first created as leftover energy from Light and void annihilating each other, Xe'ra was a fool that she thought that Illidan must be Light infused. A satisfying end to that windchime.

Also, alt-Light seems to be as corrupting as the Void in its extreme can be. Scarlet Crusade could use Light powers not through power of faith, but through enforcing dictatorial order, which is in opposition of anarchy that is the Void.

Blame Draenei players. They are the most insufferable shitbags in the entire game and demand their fag mary sue race be more important than either the humans or orcs.

They are the ones who pushed for these gay plotlines because they wanted to go back to their "home" Argus. I hope Draenei are never relevant again after this expansion,.

Pretty cool. Keep working on it.

Illidan didn't want his sacrifices taken, so he killed a crazy wind chime.

>implying the draenei are worse than the blood elves in that regard

Give me updated Gadgetzan, and I'm in.

Even as they built up how big and evil the Void is, they've been making it clear things are more complicated than that for awhile. Light has been used for evil before, as we've seen from the Scarlet Crusade. Odyn wields the Light, and he's a self-righteous ass. When it comes down to it, users of the Light simply have to believe what they're doing is right.

Because of this, most Light-users usually aren't evil. Most people don't have too warped an ideal of righteousness or of how things should be. Naaru are individuals, but them doing what they believe is right will generally result in them being good. But let's look at Xe'ra. She's been sucking Illidan's dick from the beginning, and Illidan is kind of an awful person who does awful things. What does that say about Xe'ra's moral code when everything Illidan did was justified from her perspective?

In the end, Xe'ra did what she felt was right, by the standards she had already proven herself to believe in. Illidan enslaved Broken, kidnapped Orcs and had them injected with Fel blood, and so much more. Xe'ra was following the same "sometimes the hand of fate must be forced/ends justify the means" mentality she openly supported.
>Light that burns is an idea that was pitched a lot in alternate-Draenor
As well as Shadow giving shelter to the Outcasts. There are likely going to be further hints that the Void isn't all bad.

Honestly, anywhere between WC3 and Cata would work, I could even put something together for MoP. My ideal would probably either be WC3-Vanilla era, or the entirety of WotLK. BC's my favorite, though.

I think what really made Warcraft is that even when it wasn't the most interesting or inspired, there was still a great deal of lore to sift through. You could really tell they cared. Past tense being key there. No, I'm not salty.

I miss the WoW TCG. When the art was bad, it was terrible. When it was good, though, it was really cool.

Arthas wanted to have revenge on Acherus.
Bolvar has different plans for it.
Kel'Thuzad was majordomo for the Lich King Arthas.
It's good to have a highly competent majordomo.

The only time I did RP it was a shitfest. I joined a guild and became one of its most popular members by exclusively being very friendly and making my character somebody that everybody could feel more powerful than. (Regular prot warrior with relatively underwhelming physical capabilities, in comparison to the guild leader who played a warrior and always emoted doing Herculean feats of strength and shit). Everybody else played a massively overpowered character that would defeat every event with easy and overly long winded emotes.

Maybe I'm bitter because I got shoehorned into playing an alliance prettyboy by my friends, but it really was an utter shitshow.

lore got fucked when WoD became a thing, at least after MoP they still had potential to undo shit like using the pandaren ancients to somehow make the aspects 100% again via titan bullshit but no, once timetravel became a thing this franchise is fucking done for, I'm honestly waiting for the lore reset

Their fucking Visas are overdue. Outland wasn't good enough, Draenor wasn't good enough, they won't stop pushing their shit until Argus is right next to Azer- Oh wait..

Thanks. It's fun to waste time on.

At least you weren't a Gnome. I wanted to kill myself after thirty levels of sitting on tables to be eye-level.

What kind of adventures would you run in BC and Wrath?

Was there not some sexual tension between Maiev and Illidan at some point? Or am I completely messing up people?