Undertale RPG

ok so a thread last night made me decide that there should be a Undertale RPG or a Undertale rule set, something simple like the Mario RPG.

anyone wanna help out? this is actually something I wanna get off the ground because I think people would really appreciate it, but I have no idea/experience with making systems/homebrews

Holy fuck no.

Like cringey fanbase aside, this game is only interesting because of how it plays with genre conventions and video game rpgs as a medium. Removing Undertale from that context is incomprehensibly retarded. CWC-tier fan fiction retarded.

Saging this mess

No one wants to play your shitty memegame

/thread

Cant say I didnt expect this response, but its still disappointing

The setting has many questions about the humans and other monsters and the power of souls and a whole bunch of stuff, which would be interesting to look into.

Actually trying to emulate what the game was going for in regards to the attitudes of games and gamers these days would be incredibly difficult to do, let alone do right. That would mostly lie with the GM and players, anyway.

But, if you want to try make a game about the nature of the soul and similar concepts in relation to the world around it, I'd be happy to help.

I really don't think Undertale as a setting can work for tabletop. It's so built into both video game mechanics and for its story to be the one very specific set up in the game. You really can't capture the mechanics and feeling of Undertale while exploring a new story within the Undertale world, all in tabletop.

Scrap it, OP. Use Undertale as inspiration to make a meta universal system that promotes pacifist options alongside combat, and encourages the players and GM to fuck around outside and inside the game (encourage players to cheat, encourage the GM to incorporate new mechanics, ect).

>there should be a Undertale RPG or a Undertale rule set
No, there shouldn't.

>>>tumblr

Triggered by a children's game, that was fast

Kill yourself.

Really striking while that iron is still hot, huh op?

I have several Ideas for core mechanics, like stats and how plots could go. want details?

I have vague ideas for how stats work and how plots would play out. but other then that, nothing.

Gladly

Yo OP, if you have any actual ideas for mechanics, float them by us.

Yeah man. Talk to me.

>current year
>getting mad at videogames
I don't even know what this /v/ shit is, but I'm going to check it out just because it makes this many people mad.

ok, so for Human stats would be the Six souls, they would be standard DnD stats. or something close to it. instead of haveing multiple stats for combat or medicine you just have one Soul and thats your main stat that your character is based around.

Combat is combat, the game shoulnd punnish you for defending yourself or anything, hell. even killing one or two things are fine. there will be negative consequences for doing so, sure. but unless your going kill crazy Bad Times shouldnt be a major problem

it's worth playing once but isn't off base. i can't really see it working outside its medium, though you could crib story elements of it. However, expecting the players to atone for their murderhobo sins is a gimmick that's really only going to work once

should I continue?

Undertale isn't liked for its setting, which would be the main reason to want to make it an RPG. It's liked for its characters, story (use of conventions) and game mechanics, none of which you get to preserve when you move it to tabletop.

Any legitimately good game to come of this will not be good because it's based off undertale, but in spite of it.

i enjoyed undertale but just because i like something doesn't mean i think it'll make a good ttrpg.

See, I'd imagine it to be more like you having two sets of "stats." One with the Soul (base) stats and the other being your Direct stats, bonuses to attack and defense and everything else directly tied to interacting with things. Killing things would strengthen your Direct stats, and sorting out problems without killing anything would give Soul.

That way, having players not killing things is getting them something they can only get by not killing.

But, as I said before, I would rather explore the concepts of the Soul mechanic and the outer world, and this is just a reflection on that.

You honestly didn't give us anything to go off of.

>stats are D&D stats except not
>combat is combat
>you might get maybe possibly vaguely punished if you kill a guy

First learn how to use capital letters like you weren't dropped on the head as a child, then rewind back and start thinking about the goals you want to accomplish and how you want the game to reach those goals.

>What are my PCs in the context of the world?
>What is an average problem they should expect to face?
>What do I like about Undertale and want to bring into the game?
>What do I not like about Undertale, and/or what won't work in a tabletop medium that I will leave out.
>What world does my game take place in, and if it's Undertale land would someone be able to run a game there without a single cameo from the game?

Chew on those for a bit first.

anyone have a Discord? I feel like I would have a much better time explaining stuff one on one.