One of the things that most triggers my autism whenever I play the Elder Scrolls games is that all the races believe in...

One of the things that most triggers my autism whenever I play the Elder Scrolls games is that all the races believe in the same gods. They might call them different names and reword their myths, but they're identical.

We don't even have elves irl yet there are more belief systems here than any one person can ever really know.

Tell me about the religions, philosophical followings, or lack thereof in your games.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_archetypes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretatio_graeca
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Khajiit only worship Akatosh, Azura, Mara, Sheogorath, and maybe Stendarr too on top of their own khajiit gods. That's four or five out of thirteen.

The Altmer as a whole worship their own version of the Nine, just like there are different versions of Christianity on Earth.

A couple races worship the Daedra.

Argonians have the Hist.

I imagine its okay in oblivion because the gods make their presence felt all the frickin time, and like you get a little blue swoosh when you pray at their shrine.

That's because there are no gods in real life, whereas in settings with real gods they kind of make themselves known widely.

The difference is that in the Elder Scrolls most of the gods are easily verifiable and actively involved in the world's affairs, so of course the differences are less to do with what deities exists and more to do with which deities are RIGHT or how to interpret the deities.

In my setting the "gods" are a race of immortals [as in Norse/Olympian style, eats, drinks, shits, but has incredible power and doesn't die unless killed immortal]. As a group they date back to prehistory, and many of the world's superpowers are ruled by them into the modern age. Over time they've mostly secularized, with some of the newest generation being embarrassed at even being called a 'god' and most of the currently active ones willing to be called it but not putting too much emphasis on it.

But even if there were powerful beings who manifested in real life, why would everyone say "yup these are unquestionably gods, nothing else out there"

There could be races who perceive them as like, angels of a higher God, or trickster spirits, or beings that are neither spirit nor material, just higher than us and separate from gods. Feels like a wasted opportunity imo

No please.no fedoras in my oblivion.

They literally do exactly that.

Too late.

Hell, this one's morbidly obese and lives in a basement collecting welfare from Dunmer wizards. Probably shitposts on the wizard net to boot.

well, that tends to happen when gods are active and real

>Tell me about the religions, philosophical followings, or lack thereof in your games

The actual creator of the world IS the world, its body, so that's gone. The Archons who keep the world a secret from the Godhead don't really do anything although their power is great (and the fallen Archon is responsible for darkness in the world). The actual gods and devils and stuff worshipped are immensely ancient spirits from the beginning of the world, spirits the first incarnated beings basically clung to and followed or were enslaved by and religions formed out of that over a very long period.

A few examples of in-world religions would be wide-spread, decentralized ancestor cults, there are two regions which share a mostly similar pantheon of gods but the upper region is hands-on, steadfast and familiar, related through folk stories and parables and the awe of the world; the southerners' faith is grandiose, intricate, esoteric, ritualistic and in a way alien to many of the laypeople uninitiated in its theological mysteries, there's people who worship the fallen Archon and Godhead, there's pantheistic nature cults and syncretic faiths, too. Then there's people who have no real gods, they acknowledge the great powers - hard not to - but they don't worship, they fear and protect themselves from the Dark White People who live where people aren't, and who are responsible for many strange things.

That's because the gods demonstrably exist and often take a hand in mortal affairs, directly or indirectly. They still act in inscrutable fashions, explaining the different names and myths.

You fucking tool

Sounds like you need to read a whole lot more TES lore, because you're very much not getting how this works.
First of all you need to realise the difference between acknowledgement of a deity and worship of it, and then you need to read up on the more culturally distinct gods, like Riddle'Thar.

Are you implying that Indra, Zeus, Jupiter, Perun, Thor, and Odin aren't all the same god, just called different names with reworded myths?

Zeus and Jupiter, sure, but Odin and Thor are explicitly different entities.
Thor does bear some resemblance to Zeus, but Odin is much closer to Hermes.

You mean sort of like how Yaweh, Jehova and Allah are all the same god?

I'm pretty sure the worship would consolidate mostly around the entities that actually answer when you summon them, this is why so many worship the Daedra. Sometimes the daedric princes assume alternative identities, just like the Night Mother who is a creation of Mephala. The worship of Aedra is mainly an Imperial thing, and they have their reasons for why that is the case. Retarded Solstheim tribes worship the all-maker, the dwemer only worship logic and reason.

I mean, in real world, most of the gods are an amalgamation of many different rituals and believes. That's anthropology of religigion 101.

Fuck off OP, the religions (and I mean religions, not the metaphysics) of TES and how they influence and differ from one another are hands down the most interesting part of the setting.

Thor is an iteration of the indo-european skyfather/thunder god archetype just like Zeus, Jupiter, and Indra. He doesn't have many other similarities, but then the deities of TES are pretty different between religions too.

The Imperial cult of Divines is a mismash of Elven and Nordic religions. That's the biggest reason the religions are all similar to each other is that they're derived from each other.

At least they're not the subhumans that worship the fake god Thalos. That's heretical as fuck.

well in elder scrolls as other anons have pointed out
the gods have at varying degrees and points in time made themselves known
that doesnt stop any of the individual cultures from unknowingly or knowingly misconstruing everything about them from names to beliefs to even genders
then you got the daedra which are as fluid or as stagnant as they choose to be (like they even have freewill anyway)
and then you have smaller weird shit like the dunmers "good daedra" with even weirder interpretations of shit most people didnt believe wholeheartedly anyway

yeah its all the "same" overall belief structure...but noone agrees on any of the details half the time

Gods also aren't real here, you moron.*

*or, whether or not you want to open that can of worms, do not toss around magic or endow their priests worth supernatural power.

One of the things that most triggers my autism is not doing enough research:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungian_archetypes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Indo-European_religion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpretatio_graeca
There are universal traits in human religions. That said, I agree that ES isn't as diverse, but fictional settings hardly need to.

>Tell me about the religions, philosophical followings, or lack thereof in your games.
I got sacrophysics, the study of Creation which encompasses gods, gravity, ley lines, human souls and how all that is related to make Creation exist and grow.

The Order of the Eternal Circle is a group of assassins following the goddess of life and reincarnation. They kill those which seem to waste their current lifes so they get a second chance in the next. This may include criminals, decadents, hobos etc.

You must be also triggered by Romans
> What do you mean Jupiter and Zeus are the same?

> Yaweh, Jehova and Allah are all the same god?
First two are just different transcriptions of the tetragrammaton

Gods are real in ES and interfere plenty in the world letting themselves be known. They aren't in our world.

If the Jewish God was real and went touring around the world we'd all call him whatever the fuck he wanted us to call him, and he'd be known to all creeds and cultures as the same dude.

Oh, and Dyaus Pitar from Hinduism, and Tengri from Tengri, and Manitou from the aboriginals of North America?

Maybe even the Heaven Worship beliefs of China?

It's all the same sort of god that's worshiped.