/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

Resources for Worldbuilding: pastebin.com/yH1UyNmN

Musical Edition

Thread Questions:
>What music do you listen to while building settings?
>Does your current world have a theme song? Why the fuck not?
>Pick a random place in your setting. What's their music like?
>Who is the greatest entertainer/bard in your world's history?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iaqOqvlm1P8
youtube.com/watch?v=rZUppxT38Zk
youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_Tltb_s68
youtube.com/watch?v=vW1v1LnkBG4&ab_channel=PremiumMusicHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YA38ffX1AHo&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Usually some sort of OST. Preferrably no vocals as it helps me focus.

No, and honestly I just didn't think of adding one before this.

Lute heavy with a small mix of percussion. Vocals are more around storytelling than actual singing. (This is the city that the PCs are currently in)

Sir Ivan Keldrin III, Noble Bard of King Isaac I.

>No, and honestly I just didn't think of adding one before this.
What song would it be now?

I'm still putting thought into it, honestly. I'm a big music fan, so I want to try and find something the feels right and fits for the mood.

What's the setting like?

The whole setting is pretty much just Hairdryer Peace

Depends, I have different playlists for different settings honestly. Here's a snippet of what I have...

>Caves
>Plains
>Nether
>Rain
>Snow
>Desert
>Dungeons
>Village
>Nexus
>Swamp

etc etc

>Does your current world have a theme song?
Tsubasa Wo Kudasai

Steel Drum and Harp along with Sitar. Takes place in the past but isolated from the rest of the world.

Good question.

The OST of an obscure JRPG series I'm taking inspiration from.

Not an overarching one but certain areas have a song attached to them to aid in creating a coherent feel.

Overarching would be a mournful choir supporting a single female voice before it breaks out so loud as to challenge god in a wildly frenetic system of shifting and evolving melodies before crashing violently to an end that slows and tapers off but loses none of its energy. None of this ABABC format either. Songs are a journey. Also there would be no lyrics, of if there are they would be divine language. I've not found anything relevant to my idea of what it should be yet

A combination of string instruments both plucked and bowed with large wooden xylophones. The strings carry the melody, trading off rather than harmonizing or complementing, while the xylophone keeps a constant insistant beat. It's for the industrial sector of the capitol city.

Entertainers are seen as second class citizens and SINGING for entertainment's sake is borderline profane in high society. I suppose I should think of someone who does the whole rebel thing, though

Mostly vidya song, mostly castlevania
A theme for the whole world sounds overarching, but if I were to pick something, it would be probably this.
youtube.com/watch?v=iaqOqvlm1P8
In the game it was used to represent the incoming threat.
>Cyberpunk Hell
>Noise, demon screeching, probably assymetrical and nonsensical.
Evangeline Blue, not due to her own actions, but a politician had nigga moment when his rival asked "do you always listen to this crap?", he shot his rival, missing and hitting the president in the face, who survived.

None, music distracts me from creating things.

Its not a fucking anime. Nor is it a theme park. Its a world. How can a single song describe a vast and diverse world? Unless its boom de yadda, but that one is taken.

Half the places in the world would use music better described lovecraft style - i.e. not the music itself, but how others hear it. Because I'm not buff enough in musicology to imagine an inhumanly alien music.

Probably some elf that has been barding for a few millennia and which mortals never even heard of.

I need help with a shtick for my Dwarfs.
"short, stubborn, beards, axes, ale, runes" is boring, bland and not enough. That'll be just one of their nations.
What could be the bigger deeper shtick of the whole dwarfish race?

Frankly, I don't know why make them a separate race, why not just short people? The reason why they mine is because they are short and mineshafts are smaller and safer. I supose you could try replacing some aspects of them with some other fantasy races.

I was always more of a fan of their engineering and technological traits than drunken axebeards. Add to that a philosophy of transforming the landscape for better and worse so that they get some greyness. Also don't forget their greed, one of their defining traits that often gets overlooked, for some mercantile dwarves.

bump

A lot of Hisaishi Joe (mostly soundtracks to Naushicaa, Laputa, Mononoke and Spirited Away). I think I've listened to this music more than anything else, because Naushicaa is generally the biggest source of inspiration I can think off next to Shuna.
youtube.com/watch?v=rZUppxT38Zk
I've also listened to a lot of stuff like Mongolian Throat singing and various Central and Near East music, because they are the biggest sources of real-world inspiration for me.
I also often listen to music like Fever Ray, Theodor Bastard, Percival, Asonance etc... music that has certain inspirations in folklore or have a strong "magical" tint to them.

Never thought about it. But I'd say this song captures a lot of the tone I'm going after (right after the Naushica music above):
youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_Tltb_s68

Mountaneer Tribes. It's a lot like Mongolian music: they have a simple three-stringed instrument similar to violin, leather drums, some basic flutes made out of bones, but the core of the music would definitely be in singing, which they indulge very frequently.

Never gave that much a of a thought. In world with no wide-spread media, no individual singer or bard alone is going to extremely influential, so it seems like a bit of a waste of time.

>
Never gave that much a of a thought. In world with no wide-spread media, no individual singer or bard alone is going to extremely influential, so it seems like a bit of a waste of time.

perhaps someone with a really catchy song? everyone sings it abit because it sfun

>perhaps someone with a really catchy song? everyone sings it abit because it sfun
It's not a matter of catchiness (in fact, in my world most of music is valued based on lyrics, rather than melody), but just a simple way of disseminating ideas. Hell, even authorship isn't particularly stressed out in most communities, meaning that even if the song became very popular, the name of the author would not matter to most people.

But really, there are no celebrities in a world where most people live in small isolated communities, and where no form of record other than a simple basic transcription exists. Normal people don't go to listen to bards, they only sing songs that they have been raised with or have some kind of stronger tie too in their community.

Well, I guess it makes sense for that spot to be left as N/A then.

Is there a place where people post PDFs of their worlds?

Yes.

Maybe on that reddit wbg but I dont think they normally do here. But topics vary every time they are done.

My current jam.

youtube.com/watch?v=vW1v1LnkBG4&ab_channel=PremiumMusicHQ

>greatest entertainer/bard
There's an NPC a based on a famous guy here in France. He's a Moroccan immigrant, or the son of Moroccan immigrants who was kinda chubby and a loser. His family was very poor. We don't really know how he became super rich, but I think he invested in real estate and won big. Suddenly he tattoo'd every square inch of his body and started gaining a lot of attention in social media by doing stupid shit like burning money. After getting his fill of expensive cars, drugs and booty, he started travelling a bit and tried to change his image. He started doing interviews to let people know him on a more personnal level, and it turns out he's not the pretentious jerk he was pretending to be.
So here I've seen a lot of archetypes mixed in: Littlefinger, because how he earned his fortune is a mystery that still concerns a lot of people; Hisoka because he got Veeky Forums in a record time and tattoo'd all his body; Conan/Luffy/Iron Mike because he's got that juvenile innocence when he enjoys the simple things of life that often become overwhelming, and he also fits the stereotype of the guy who knows he's headed in the wrong direction and contantly regrets and wants to repent but it's hard and he feels like he already went too far.
I don't know, I think this character is interesting and can be used in so many different ways as a plot device because of his impredictabily and all the mystery around him. He also can be used to convey many things to the players because he's still very sensitive behind his mask, and has a lot of charisma. So I made a bard out of him, who has lots and lots of piercings (Xerxes style) and has to be the most excentric guy in the whole kingdom. But as opposed to Dandelion he's very lonely and has a void in his heart he tries to fill with the attention, admiration and jealousy of others.
These make him powerful, influencial and impredictable. Yet he remains a consistent NPC that can be used for so many things.

When he was poor, he instructed to be burried in his will, because his body was all he had (at the time) and he wished to give it to benefit others. He wanted to be burried under in a forest so that a tree would benefit from his death, despite the national custom being cremation so the god of nature and wilderness appreaciated it a lot. The local druid, who's a centuries old tricky bastard who's bored out of his mind, arranged for this bard to be in possession of several powerful magical items for giggles and to """please his god""".
This put the bard in numerous situations where he went through the "with great powers comes great responsibility" train of thought, so all his works after this point were dedicated to teach responsibility, generosity, love, peace, etc.

So /wbg/, tell me about the history and migrations of the peoples of your world.

Surely you have mapped out the journeys, splits, and evolution of at least one prehistoric group until the present day. So let's hear it. Do you have a complex Not!PIE tree of cultures and languages that branches out across the world, or do you have a relatively small family of related people that have survived until the present day of the setting like the Japonic family? Or do you perhaps have an extinct group of people that yet have had great influence on the currently existing cultures of your world?

Color in a spot. That's your new country.

Tell us about it.
>What's the political situation?
>Major religion(s)?
>Wildlife?
>View on magic?
>Technological level?
>Tell us about a "questgiver" npc who lives here (name, job, reason for living)

Do you think it's silly for aliens to have tentacle-like mustaches they dip into food to taste it?

Anyone got any good music for space piracy or general vaguely spooky space music?

Depends on the theme of the faction/race

Brothers in Arms

Heavy focus on choirs and chants. Excessively religious in every fashion.

Sarcal the Lyric, Daughter of the Vain Queen

Nah, it'd be like how insects taste with their feet before actually eating. It'd keep them from eating poisons.

Do you think slave-soldiers should be castrated if you're trying to be accurate about what their conditions were? I'm developing a kingdom where its standing army comes from a conquered people they've enslaved and from the research it seems that nearly all of them were eunuchs. The people the kingdom conquered, however, could restore grievous injuries such as amputations and the like. Should I come up with a different torture method which pain is equal to castration or should I just come up with a way to get it in the setting?

I'm no expert, but I'd assume slaves were castrated more as a compliance tool, what with testosterone and working sex drives being such powerful disruptive influences.

Wouldn't you need the production of testosterone for muscle growth and the like, though? It would seem a bit detrimental to hinder an army's capability to fight well. But even so, do you think chemical castration would work just as effectively? Forcibly drugging them to supress their libido and keep them complient?

Low on inspiration. Need a hook for a new setting. So far all I got is a pastiche of Late Antiquity medievalism and possibly an undead/shadowy menace. Just feeling blah at the moment.

What's your latest setting idea? What's your elevator pitch?

So, I came up with a creation myth and general cosmology for a setting, was wondering if anyone would be interested in hearing it out and critiquing me.

Shit yeah son. Can't promise anyone will comment, but there's always a few of us lurking.

A world where most people live in a mix of very early 20th century equivalent tech level in the areas of industry and communication but with a culture and architectural style more reminiscent of renaissance Europe.

The tech level is supported by magic where special objects can be influenced through certain people singing songs to form matter or channel elemental effects like heat or electricity.

The world is backsliding due to the planet slowly dying. Not just the environment which is losing color and vibrance but magic, which is an intrinsic part of the universe, can only be understood by certain people through a connection to the planet and the intelligence that grants the instinctual knowledge is degrading as well.

The planet is dying because a heroic quest begun long ago suceeded in driving off an invading force (the specifics of this force I have yet to explore) but in the process subtly broke something in the world. Once the heroes realized they couldn't fix what they had done, they kept it to themselves out of a sense of guilt or cowardice. Everyone would have died were it not for them, but because of them humanity will eventually end anyway.

The decay is gradual to the point only old historical records make it clear that anything is actually wrong to those who live in this world. Those records are magical in nature and can only be accessed by the magical church that was founded by the lead hero of the original group

The modern day conflict will be recognizing the heroes' deception, realizing they themselves were decieved by the force they had fought, and fixing the planet by finding, repairing and using the massive divine machine that had originally created the planet

Alright, here goes.
Essentially, in the beginning there was a singular being, Ao'ul. Ao'ul is and was everything that ever was, everything that ever is, and everything that ever would be, and for countless ages it remained in this form, simply pondering over existence. Until one moment, for some unknown reason, it made a choice.
In one motion he plucked its heart from his chest, and its eyes from its head and placed them in the sky, forming the "sun" and the "moons" (called the heart and the eyes in this setting for obvious reasons).
As it began to die, its consciousness left its body, "splitting" and forming one of the major concepts of the setting.
As Ao'ul died, its body turned to stone and dirt, forming the "Earth (called Ao'ul), and its lifeblood spilled from the heart onto the world, gifting life.
Following this, life began to emerge. Plants, animals, and eventually advanced civilization. But during this, the spirit of Ao'ul didn't remain stagnant, because just as Ao'ul split into body and soul, so to did it begin to split, as the God that was All began to fragment, pieces of the dead God's psyche splitting off and forming fragments which grow to represent various concepts, becoming what is essentially this setting's pantheon, as the splintered consciousness of the dead god begins to bicker and compete as they themselves forget why Ao'ul set this all into motion.
And that's all I really have at the moment. It's a basic framework that I kinda thought up a while ago, but only recently decided to go into any depth with. Once I figure out and solidify more of the basics I'll probably start working on things like the races, Empires, world map and the such. But for now, this (along with a basic magic system) is what I've got.

I'm actually working on that.
Had to dig into linguistics to find out which cultures developed from which, and which I can spare for non-human nations - preferably related too, since I want non-human races have multiple nations within themselves too.

not necessarily.
Spartans and Makedonians relied on sexual ties between soldiers to boost morale

It's pretty neat.

its pretty good

generic

Castration reduces the amount of free testosterone, and thus, reduces violence and aggression.

You are literally advocating castration of your army in every way,

Some other kind of mental enslavement that has them equating anything sexual with intense pain or nausea. Kind of like a Clockwork Orange's aversion therapy. That or careful lobotomies.

The latter half of this with the splinters of god forming sub-deities that represent concepts is a lot like Adonalsium in Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere. Look it up for some inspiration on where to take it.

Generally none (I watch shows instead) but when I do it's often a Mystery Skulls pandora station I have.

Maybe but I'm not the one to ask, I'm building a non-canon section in somebody else's work to run a game in.

It's earth circa 2014 so that's highly variable and easy to find out.

Probably Shakespeare

I've actually read Mistborn, Elantris, and Stormlight, however the whole Cosmere concept sort of flew over my head while I did so.
Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

So, when it comes to making races what do you lot do?
Humans/Elves/Dwarves/Orcs/Etc?
What are some unique races you've come up with?

Alright, names are a bit shit and variable but here's what I've got, simplified.

In Signalia/Noilich the indigenous peoples are the Horbs, Sigs, Dours, Mauri, Nonumbrians, Neuastrians and Cotans. There might also be proto-Dours who were there before them, but they are a sliver of an idea right now.

Helthargi start settling the Grefnian coastline founding several cities inc. Thelmachy.

Helxian colonisation of the Noilich begins with the conquest of the Mauri. After that they defeat the kingdom of Nonumbria and the Neuastrian cities as well and bring them under the yoke, founding the kingdom of Haelich. Colony settlements are also planted in Signus and Horbia.

The Helthargi Empire absorbs its daughter-cities into the the fold and begins the conquest of the landmass. The Haelichi conquer Cotia and begin beating back the Sigs.

The Helthargi drive the Helxians from Horbia and set up the vice-kingdom of Horbador under a governor.

Eventually Helthagor and Haelich meet in the middle. Much war ensues until the Helthargi Empire collapses and Haelich retreats. Both lose most of their colonies, and Haelich is checked by a newly independent Signus.

Dourdale is a land of shattered duchies and lordships, Grefnia is an independent kingdom while the Horbish remnant kingdom dubbed North Grefnia hangs on. The Pyfer/Pyfar Sigs rule a collection of states, and the Kon-somethings form the rich kingdom of Konos. The kingdom of Horbador gains independence as a mountainous Helthargi-Horbish mix.

After some time Setro and his not-Gauls arrive and conquer all of Dourdale as well as North Grefnia and some Sig lands, uniting it into the kingdom of Setronia, which then splinters again after his idiot son wastes all his resources in a long failed invasion of Horbador.

Signus eventually gets into gear and beats back Haelich. The kingdom of Pyferia forms. Grefnia conquers North Grefnia. Thelmachy becomes a powerful grand duchy.

Signus finally conquers Haelich. (cont.)

My god this was longer than I intended. Sorry anons. Might as well finish it.

Pyferia inherits Konos and wars with Signus until it is also conquered. Setronia unites under the kingdom of Thelmachy which is then conquered too. Signus conquers Horbador. The Signo Empire is formed. The Signo Empire conquers Grefnia.

The Signo Empire expands overseas a bit, then explodes. Back to square one. I've noticed I seem to write the same story of expansion and collapse again and again.

If you're wondering why the names are a bit odd, it's because I came up with most of them as a kid, stewed them in my head for like half a decade before only recently beginning to put the pieces together.

I currently have 3 primary races figured out in my setting, but I need a fourth.

What's a good race to use for the small, sneaky, archer/thief archetype? I was originally thinking of using rat or ferret men, but since I already have another bipedal mammal race I would want to avoid treading that ground again. Type of birb maybe? Weird mollusk? Goblinoid? Here are the other races for context.

>Manosilians
Tall, strong, big-handed people. Skilled in crafting things large enough for them to handle, like weapons and armor. Not very good with fine manipulation, so not so good at writing and lockpicking. Thick skin, pale to dark orange coloration of skin. Tend to have a large bulbous nose, squashed face, and lumps on their back leading down to a stubby tail.

>The Flock
Sheep people. Covered in curly wool that they shave off and sell to other races in the summer, which are made into clothes. They travel around in gypsy caravans, their trading language is called 'Quilt' and is the common tongue around the world.

>Humans
Despite having no fur, no weapons, bad hearing and even worse smell, humans have managed through sheer brainpower to eek out a living among the other mortal races and the wild animals of the world. Their skills in magic are second to none.

So in this setting, the humans are more of the magic race and the sheep are more of the 'well rounded' race which I thought would be fun. But the reason why I am posting this is to ask is to figure out the other race in the setting?

My current setting has a planet with a combination of Karst regions, alkali /acid salt lakes, surface crystal forest formations and geothermal algae mats all over the place while the atmosphere is unbreathable without specialised equipment to filter the air down to breathable levels. There is also regions of super leafy pseudo-plant/fungal life that seem to thrive with the increased oxygen and moisture present.

Ancient colonisation was because of a series of navigational mistakes compounded with a botched planetfall that meant the colonists only received a mere 25% of the equipment and supplies expected. What they did get though were the environmental hardsuits that allowed them to survive. The know-how of pilots, engineers and scientists led to the foundation of the first Habitats (sealed and safe liveable environments)

Three centuries later and the Habitats have devolved into paranoid city states ruled by a nobility of supposed descendants of pilots who promote and enforce an ideology based on the use of walking transportation over wheels which they of course hold monopoly over. These citystates are now in constant petty turmoil over territorial borders, technological patents, dynastic family infighting and increasingly abnormal cultural practices.

Want to know more?

That sheepman looks great, user. I'm interested in their racial differences. Do you have different types like we have different sheep? Thin-wooled ones that live in hot climates and thick ones in the snow. Also, do the males have horns?

As far as sneaky races are concerned, I'm not sure. Badgers?

Hey Veeky Forums, I've got a question regarding my setting described here .
And I was wondering how you lot would go about mapping out a Hollow-Earth style map.
I'm starting on laying out the continents and such, and developing the history of the world post-creation, however I'm struggling to come up with how a map of an interior planet would look.
Essentially the idea is that the Heart-Sun floats in the center, with the Body-Earth curled around it, the day-night cycle being formed by the "beating" of the Heart-Sun.

>how you lot would go about mapping out a Hollow-Earth style map.
The same as a regular map. It's literally the same thing.

Alright, that's what I was thinking, but I've been up for a day now and for some reason my head was convincing itself that I was missing something.
Cheers.

I'm tired of sci-fi worlds that have the same technology for 100 billion years. What some interesting technological advances for sci-fi universe, or new ways of using old technology?

You should make the map an incomplete cross-section on the earth and show the crust/mantle as God curled up (like pic related)

Also, have you thought of anything underdark-y or shadowfell-y or just plain lovecraftian on the earth's surface?

A lot of lets plays actually, and also shitty slow top40 rap that you hear in vines and WSHH fight videos

No, because I'm boring, and would probably just rip game of thrones again

This area I'm drawing right now
>borders a southern arctic region with ancient pine forests
>fucking loud ass dutch RIIIIIICOLAAAAAAA horns blaring up in the crisp cold mountaintops
>fucking yodeling
>its crazy

Probably some magician, until he blew himself up and everyone around him like all wizard cunts do,

>dutch
swiss

I'm so fuckin dumb, I was even thinking of the phrase 'swiss alps' when I was typing and while I've been drawing.

I'm so god damn tired.

But the mountains must flow

I have, in fact. I took some inspiration from Darkest Dungeon, in that there's a cult of Ao'ul who believes that the world is an egg, and that humanity is an infant, and thus they pool their resources in order to, for lack of a better term, "hatch." So they attempt to dig through the Earth, in order to reach their manifest destiny, and become as gods.
Whether they're on the right path or not is up in the air, but I'm of the opinion that Ao'ul curled around his creation in order to protect it.

The biggest issue I'm having is how the weather and seasons will act honestly, although I've got a vague semblance of an idea that I might work on for that.

Anyone here have only humans in their setting?

Did you make your own races of humans or just dump sand people, snow monkeys, darkies and asians into it? Or is everyone the same race as you are?

What are some cases of fantasy human races? Shit, are there any?

And I'm not talking about cases of humans with magic being separate races. I'm talking about humans that just look different from each other.

I need some help with my magic system. I posted about it a while ago (fuck a month ago) but I scrapped a great deal and simplified the hell out of it

My magic system revolves around Ardor. Basically the soul. The planet has one, people have one, and simplistic ones, called simulacra, can be made through the use of magic. Humanity, sapient life, was created by the planet because the creator deity that created the planet left a fragment of its desire to create behind

Ardor was initially a concept created by the high creator deity as a source of pure potential in order to create mass, energy, and intelligence. To prevent this potential from annihilating itself, the creator composed a systems of innate locks and the language needed to unlock the Ardor’s potential in a controlled way. Through the refined use of song, Ardor can be influenced to create matter, referred to as Body; channel energy like electricity or heat, referred to as Life; and support intelligence and memory, referred to as Mind

It’s that last part that’s driving me nuts. See, I want a trifecta of abilities that are inherent in the Ardor and I need a mental/spiritual aspect to the Ardor or likening it to the soul will fall flat. I also enjoy the idea of both using the memory of an ancient simulacra to recreate its body (matter) and using specialized simulacra as information storage

But anything I come up with doesn’t gel with the rest. I want to be able to explain how intelligence works in regards to Ardor. I also want to give a way for mind and memory to be accessed through song, but in order to make it so someone using magic can’t just materialized a sock in everyone’s throat to kill people without effort, I’ve had it make it so (mostly humans) Ardor can’t be manipulated without permission from the Ardor’s intelligence. Altering memory or intelligence thought through song only when allowed seems lackluster in comparison to the abilities to create mass or channel energy

Any thoughts?

So, this is basically the force but more complex?

This is hard dude, a really hard system undestend, I wouldn't copy because I'm having trouble toundestand it, how about making a flowchart of how it works.

Just post it here. The max filesize is 8MB iirc.

bump

depends on the setting
the one i'm working on right now has mostly typical races, though i'm trying to make them different from stereotypes, but also a few new ones

the one i worked on before, an underground universe, had all original races, that could've plausibly evolved in such a world. closest to classic were dwarf-like creatures that were short and had "beard" made of symbiotic fungus that drained victims of nutrients and shared them with host

>Anyone here have only humans in their setting?
Yeah.

>Did you make your own races of humans
Kinda, kinda not. I'm sorta basing them off of real world ethnicities and cultures but I don't do 1:1 conversions. I have, for example, one group of people heavily influenced by primitive Finno-Ugric peoples in general, and in Sami people in particular, with elements of Turkic steppe nomads and a few other more exotic traits mixed in.

>Implings
small winged humanoids
wings ain't good enough for real flight, unless one trains them a lot and then starves himself, but allow them to glide
dwell on sheer cliffs and tall peaks, where regular predators and enemies can't reach them
look like sort of badger with human-like faces and maybe insectoid wings.
hunt mountain goats

make every facet of Ardor have a "personality"
Body is servile and pliable, so you get what you conjure
Life is wild and careless, so it takes skill get precise results
Mind is selfish and stubborn, it resists anything that doesn't affect it, but is more vulnerable at anything that targets it specifically.

E.g. you sing a commanding song basically telling Body to materialize a sock in someone's throat, and Mind gets all huffy that someone dares command and resists.
You sing a charming song and Mind starts purring and obeying.

Are volcanoes restricted to tectonic plate edges? Can a plate be punctured by a huge-ass volcano without cracking? How cataclysmic would a tectonic plate cracking be? I.e. would it wreck everything on the plate, or may not even effect some of things that stand over the newly formed crack?

I kind of worked on a little bit of a CYOA for a little while to explain a bit about the culture, technology and a brief mention of history, there's an extra page-- basically more dumb CYOA -- but I feel it's not very good. I'm also thinking of turning it into a sort of standard overview of the setting it's been a burden to fully conceptualize.

Right now I kind of want to talk about the 'gods' of the setting. Most people anthropomorphize the Andromeda Galaxy as a Gaia-like Mother. Now I have been sourcing ideas from Mythology and have chosen to have the children of Andromeda to be the basis of the cult of gods based around phenomena/ideas that a spacer would know about:

Sthenelus, the lone son Null.
Heleus, the skulking son Void.
Alcaeus, the gifted son, Matter.
Gorgophone, the daughter Force.
Electryon, the eccentric son Dynamism (unsure).
Mestor, the ageless son Epoch.
Perses, the infinite son Space.

Cynurus and Autochthe are the two children I'm currently unable to decide on what they should be, wouldn't mind some ideas.

So why do you think you're clever or creative for having a humans only setting? Since you mention it like 3-4 times in the CYOA, I'm guessing you must be very proud of yourself for making such a shocking and controversial choice.

No I'm not clever and honestly I don't see no point in it, it was a decision I made pretty recently after someone suggested I get rid of these aliens.

And you listened to them?

Really the setting is so human orientated they may as well not exist.

How do I justify elder races - Deep Ones, Lizardmen, Fomorians, Snake People and other - be not just technically/magically pretty much on the same level as humans/elves/dwarves, but also on a back foot in most regards, when they are millions years old than mankind? I.e. they are undisputed rulers of their realms, don't get me wrong, but they ain't ruling whole world and spacefaring...

Usually those same races were destroyed, corrupted, or broken apart by some magical or divine apocalypse scenario. Societies could potentially survive for millions of years without really advancing, or advancing and then forgetting everything they knew when the gods come down to punish them or what have you.

Has anyone made a compelling all-water setting? How does it all work out?

It's a very good location separator. But I never tried it.

>/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

Sure, hey, howdy, I've got something I've put together that I'd like to show:

I'm aware my 'own' setting may be too weird, 'OC', or otherwise unappealing to some people looking for more generic or loyal to traditional Dungeons & Dragons uninspired fantasy... So I quickly threw together a little pocket-world kinda place! Because I'm not being ironic; sometimes even I actually just want standard, predictable, fantasy. It's also not a natural world and is more like a painted world, pocket dimension, kind of realm- made by either a powerful wizard as a 'garden world' or by an inexperienced God as practice.. So it's presence is inconsequential to my own 'OC' world.

It's called YotunHeim (The incorrect spelling is intentional)! It's LOADED with rude Giants to fight: Hill & Frost, Ogres, Trolls, and Minotaurs! It's got mostly Human, Dwarf, and Half-Elf occupied cities, but there's some Orcish fortresses out east if you want to play a monster race or something. The whole place is about the size of Australia- maybe a little smaller.

Pic related is the map I just finished for it tonight!

>ameuteur god's world

Thats basically one of the premises of my setting, kek.

Tell me a short story from your current setting.
It could be a fairy-tale, an legend, a parable, NPC's story... but it gotta be in-universe. And don't give any meta information, if possible.

which Might and Magic is this? Looks fun.

You see son, the first dragon was made when the dark god, the Red God, got horny.

First, he took all the scales of the lizards and horns of the bull and put them on her, so she'd be tough as nails.

Then, he took the claws of a tiger and gave them to her, so that she could scratch his back when they shared ecstasy in bed.

Then, he gave her the wings of a bat so that no matter where she was, he could call her if he felt the urge.

And finally, he took the fires of hell and breathed them down her throat, so if any lips but his touched them, they would be burned.

From their first wretched coupling was what began all this mess, and is why dragons are everywhere, and why they all worship that evil 'daddy' red god. He IS their father, like it or not.

Just how dangerous is sailing around a cape?

In the beginning there was the Nothing, and in the Nothing the Undying Flame burned. And the Undying Flame filled the Nothingness and burned it away, and when the flames withdrew there was ash and Gods. The Gods saw upon the Undying Flame, upon each other, and upon the ash that surrounded them, and they lifted their hands, each in his own sign, and spoke unto each other: "We are the Gods, born of the Undying Flame unto ash. So let us make with the ash as we please and form this ash into worlds. For that pleases us."

So the Gods took ash in their hands and with it they formed trees, mountains, clouds, even the earth itself. And when it was that they had formed the land, they each raised their hands again, each in his own sign, and spoke: "We are the Gods, makers of this land. So let us make with the land as we please and fill it with joy and strife, pleasure and missery, to bring unto it life and to bring unto life death. For that pleases us."

And so the Gods took ash in their hands once more and with it they formed the animals to inhabit the land and set them upon the world. Then the Gods once more raised their hands and spoke: "We are the Gods, creators of this, but this life does not please us. Let us make new life more like us and set them upon this land. For that pleases us."

And so the gods created new life but this time put part of the Undying Flame inside of them, and called their new creations Man and Woman, and the Gods raised their hands and spoke unto Man and Woman: "We are the Gods, makers of this land and you, and from this day on you will care for our creation in our stead. You will work the land for us, tend to the animals and plants for us, and worship us until the day you die. For we are the Gods, and this pleases us."

>Deep Ones
Created a great amount of stuff but didn't really advance pst Bronze (for them Coral) Age
>Fomorians
cursed to become more deformed with each generation, ancient fomorians watch in despair as their great great grandchildren don't understand simplest shit

yeah, that'd work for a few generations. a millenia perhaps. not millions of years. these dudes remember dinosaurs.

>ancient greek knew of static electricity
>ancient romans knew of steam engines, but had no metallurgy and need to build working ones
>ancient persians made galvanic batteries

what do you think of such kind of antique steampunk?

I already have not!greeks with air rifles and steam powered canons, thank you. Also airships.

If you mean an actual short story, I could dump 4800 words of it or link to it, but don't know how many people here can read german

bump

This is good. Thanks

I think I have an idea of where to take things now

The Yellowstone Supervolcano was formed by a hotspot. Hotspots are independent of tectonics

Im working on my first setting, iv decided its going to be a world that is now entirely ocean after the water levels rose world-wide years ago
Cities are made up of collections of barges and whatnot

Just trying to think of how things would be constructed in this world, cant mine or get wood from tress since its all underwater

Being underwater is actually a huge pain in the ass

Unless you're a magical wonderland, it's going to be hard to forge shit when anything above 100c makes the water opaque and churn

>>What music do you listen to while building settings?
>>Does your current world have a theme song?
youtube.com/watch?v=YA38ffX1AHo&