/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/gencon50exclamation-mark-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
What's the best way to defeat the Plain?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da

Other urls found in this thread:

theonyxpath.com/many-worlds-one-path-monday-meeting-notes/
youtube.com/watch?v=pe1LsQ1lWkE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

New monday meeting notes
theonyxpath.com/many-worlds-one-path-monday-meeting-notes/

>What's the best way to defeat the Plain?

Forces 2 to drain their smartphone battery rendering them mostly helpless.

You can't they're a power beyond the means of the exarchs, god machine, or the principle to battle.

Hire Zak S to write your vampire scenekids game, David Hill quits in a huff, presto the master of the Plain has been defeated.

What did Dawkins do on Dark Eras?

>YOU ARE BEING RECORDED
At this point, you pull out your own smartphone and point it at the Plain (it doesn't necessarily have to be recording) and say "So are you!". Then watch as the Plain flounders, very confused and unsure of what to do next.

*record scratch
*freeze frame
Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

How long before this thread turns to shit

Let me check.

Nevermind, I can't find writing credits. So I don't know how to find out.

In the companion he wrote The Fall of Isirion or whatever.

Oh hey, was scion already in art direction or is that new?

This means he is a fan of the Immortals book. Which is good.

He put Body Thieves and Blood Bathers in Fall. He didn't go the safe route and just plug in Purified.

I really like the 'mortals' way that nWoD is going - having credible antagonists, both personal and organised, for players. Yeah, some are corporate, and then you've got things like the voyager cults. It's a nice change to "HEY LETS THROW MORE TEMPLATES AT IT".

Huh?

I don't think I know what you mean.

There are more 'antagonists' who aren't purely antagonists and aren't supernatural, or who are supernatural in only the barest sort of way. It's nice. They come off as more 'realistic' when they're not moustache twirlers, slashers or purely "Hah! Fuck you, (other end of my splat here)!"

Oh, well then I agree. I think it takes all sorts. I like my slashers and dark mirror enemies. But having good examples of bad guys who are more a problem for reasons other than being able to take you on in a big dumb fight, that is good.

'Packet Theta' and the Fury of Death/Giant Skeleton Angel Butterfly. Do we know anything aside from Deva Corporation has it now and that it's probably some sort of physical manifestation of death?

Would you accept a Beast as an Antagonist if he was a parody of Dick Dastardly?

Clearly should feed by winning a race in a way that is completely and utterly humiliating to anyone else who takes part in it.

That's how it should work, instead...
>"No Muttley, we are Villains, therefore we must cheat!"
He sabotages a race so utterly even he can't win it, this is partly because of his own incompetence...mostly because his Hunger is a backstabbing dick.

How about we only use the spell examples in Mage 2e and ditch Creative Thaumaturgy altogether? Or would that still not change things?

Taking away the cornerstone of Mage's casting system is a bit of a selfish jab, don't you think?

How about we ignore disciplines or gifts, would that matter?

Damn, antimagefags are absolute morons.

It already had.

Maybe its because ive played the hero system but 99% of problems caused by creative thaum is people using it badly.

In the hero system you might want to be the flash, able to run super fast right? You could buy that as extra running speed OR you could buy it as teleport with the special effect, you cant pass through solid objects, you disappear in one place and appear in another in the blink of a eye, seems odd but its the same with creative thaum. Many people try to "abuse" it in various ways without even doing it step by step etc

Are you still butthurt over the entirely feasible 'Kinetic Shield' ?

lel

Even many of the example spells are incredibly broken.
e.g. Exceptional Luck, Psychic Domination, Shaping

Creative Thaumautrgy at least has the justification for the GM to go "no, I don't think you can use that Practice for that". The example spells are almost irrefutable canon.

Could you make a Time-Ruling Legacy of Obrimos based on the DC Speedsters?

Probably

An Obrimos Legacy that looks at time as a force of reality that blows the present onwards, rather than the weaving loom perspective of Acanthus?

Sounds legit.

And now with stuff that could provide ideas for the Attainments.
youtube.com/watch?v=pe1LsQ1lWkE

>Mages protect themselves from general harm through the power of their Arcana with Mage Armor Attainment rather than Shielding spells.
For me, that was sufficient to take down all spells which protected from regular damage. You already have the Mage Armor for that.

The DC speedsters dont just mess with time. Their powers also allow them to ignore natural forces that would make it dangerous to move super fast. Such as drag, and the fact that if you tripped on a rock you would blow yourself apart.

Most of Flash's abilities don't translate well to Attainments, especially for Mages.

>Speed clones?
Not possible, when you go back in time you replace your former self.

>Phasing?
Not possible, when you accelerate through time you're not really moving any faster, you're just making extra use out of the second you've got.

>Quick-speed learning?
Nope. You could potentially re-write your past, but that's not quite the "Time is a Force" perspective you're going for with Obirmos.

>Speed force clothing?
Hahaha, no.

>Throwing Lightning
Perhaps as an optional Attainment given sufficient forces proficiency.

Running fast though with crazy reflexes? Yep, that's it in a can.
Mage isn't a game where you can perfectly copy stuff across while maintaining canon coherence. But you can draw inspiration from other stuff.

Hence why I went with Obrimos for the Path.

Shielding of Forces is your friend.

Yeah, general harm, Shielding provides superior protection. The given examples are quite conclusive.

I honestly think forces would do speedsters better as an attainment.

Or just life to ramp everything you do up to the max.

Unnecessary, given you're playing a temporal speedster.
You're not running faster, you're running for a period that you would normally consider would be longer than the seconds you're in.

Really just go Time Obrimos with Forces secondary.

Velocity Control is your friend. Each point of potency doubles speed.

>Mage isn't a game where you can perfectly copy stuff across while maintaining canon coherence. But you can draw inspiration from other stuff.
Makes sense.

I feel like one of the key thing is going to be using Forces to keep yourself from exploding because you slipped on a banana peel while travel at superspeed.

Well then... What would the attainments be nerd?

Are you also the faggot who says ruling spells can cause damage?

Better question, how do you think this guy would see the Flash as worthy of crafting his soul into? Why would doing that bring it closer to the Supernal?

No? Not unless you use it to cause something else to do the damage. Like mind-controlling a hobo and having him run into an ice cream truck.

Do you really think Mage Armor is going to be better than the Practice of Shielding.

I wonder who's the real faggot here.

Because the speed force is everywhere, in everything, touches all, shapes all. It may just be a binding supernal image.

By shaping his soul into gotta go fast, he may just be able to go so fast he slips off this earth and into the beyond.

That would probably depend on the Arcana.

At least I think so.

Ruling causing Damage is a Probably if you use it with a Subtle Arcana and a Definitely if you use it with a Gross Arcana

You guys want to know something hilarious?

Coils of the Dragon, coil of blood rank one.

Normally you have to spend one point of Vitae a day to exist as a vampire.

With rank one in this coil, you spend 1 point of Vitae per days equal to your dots in resolve. At Blood potency ten, that caps at ten, so you only need one point of Vitae every ten days.

But, there's a separate coil called Anoushka's ladder. As long as your humanity is 8 or higher, you only need one point of vitae a week. These stack. So you spend one point of vitae every 17 days. Granted at this point without second rank Blood coil, your potential food supply is very limited, but assuming you had a full tank, you wouldn't 'need' to feed or intake any more blood for 4.6 years.

Although admittedly, that's assuming you literally spend no vitae on anything but surviving/waking up, but that's neither here nor there. I just found the idea of a vampire that could go five years without food hilarious. Especially since he would have to be like, the nicest dude for the combo to work right.

Actually rereading this, it's my 1e Vampire book. I have no idea how applicable this is to 2e.

Bropire.

If I shielded myself from gravity could I fly

To be fair, the Ladder is a really secretive bunch, the coil moreso. Add in Blood and you can do all that with animal juice.

Sadly, the coils got smacked around a bit in 2e. There isn't really a coil of blood. The coil of banes sort of made it through as the Ascendant, and the Beast as the Wyrm. The Voivode doesn't seem like something the Ordo would care that much about. Ziva is the 'anoushka' coil of 2e, but you can adapt Anoushka to 2e using Ziva without too many issues.

Actually if you'r shielding yourself from gravity it's gonna be more like you have Mordushoes

Nope. Not how that works, sadly. You might be able to use something like that to make it 'easier' to fly, but the actual being able to hover and move around would come from elsewhere.

Fine, I'll do your job for you.
>Time 1
Decrease all penalties to actions from undue haste by dots in Time
Optional - Forces 1, Kinetic Efficiency, Potency is Forces dots.

>Time 2
Increase Initiative by dots in Time
Optional - Forces 2, You wind up forces as you run, Melee attacks deal Lethal +Time dots

>Time 3
Instant Action to active Acceleration for 2 rounds (3 rounds at Time 3), multiplying speed by Time dots. This isn't that powerful, but remember the Legacy Stacking rule
Optional - Forces 3 Velocity Control, for the duration, your speed is actually (Normal*Time_dots)*2^Forces_dots (stack with spells for some real bullshit)

>Time 4
Instant Action to blast a subject with a burst of Time, dealing Lethal equal to Forces Dots
Optional - Forces 4, when your hit your subject, you can also throw them about a la Telekinesis

>Time 5
Instant Action to enter a time bubble, freezing time around you, round equal to dots in Time.
Optional - Forces 5, you generate an amount of energy equal to dots in Forces, can discharge at will during time-bubble, only takes effect when bubble pops

Not this again. You're clearly a baiting whore.

Neat.

What makes Acceleration superior to Celerity again? I'm too lazy to compare the two.

Other than only needing to spend one Mana to activate the power, rather than one Vitae per turn?

Plus the reach effects which permit further utility, and the capacity to ludicrously boost Potency for exceptional Defence given dodge actions?

Not quite. You make yourself exempt from the harmful aspects of gravity, up until whatever limit your ST ultimately decides. But whatever, nice bait, 2/10 got me to reply.

Acceleration multiplies the subject's speed by Potency. The subject is typically the caster. The subject always goes first in turn unless they choose not to, which means they can interrupt another character's turn as a reflexive action. Potency is added to Defense, and then that sum is doubled for Dodge actions. Both Defense and Dodges can be used against firearms. This is the base spell, cost is one Mana.

Celerity adds the vampire's dots in Celerity to their defense as a Persistent effect and to their dodge roll when actively defending. Even if a bullet hits them, the attack is still penalized by their dots in Celerity. The vampire must be aware of incoming attacks to defend against them. Celerity does jack shit if they aren't able to move. For a point of Vitae each, the vampire can activate any and all of the following effects once per turn: Move to the head of the Initiative queue. Interrupt actions (but not reflexive actions of actions they're unaware of) a number of times in a scene equal to their dots in Celerity. The interrupting action can be an attack, but that's their attack for the turn. Finally, they can multiply their speed by their dots in Celerity plus one, for stealth and surprise attacks.

Decide for yourself which one is better.

That is new from when last I looked a few weeks back but may not be new as of this week

>Faggots in this thread think Ruling causes damage
>Not knowing that's Fraying
Does anyone here actually read the book or is shitposting easier when you don't?

You're falling for their bait, you dumb fucking fuck.

Ruling can cause damage by redirecting naturally occuring forces, but not by itself.

Use Ruling to turn gravity 90 degrees and make someone fall 6 meters into a wall?
That's going to hurt.

Channel all of the kinetic energy within a certain area between the mollecules, and into someone's body?
Bon voyage.

Well you could argue that there are some instances where Ruling of [Arcana] can be used to cause damage, but these would be incredibly niche in the case of the Subtle Arcana.

Gross Arcana...not so much.

Nice bait.

>Gross Arcana...not so much.
By this I mean they'd be less niche and more obvious.

Would it be possible to mirror the effects of the prime spell Apocalypse with Mind where you aren't gifting mage sight to a non mage but are instead turning your own mage sight on and then wiring your brain to theirs?

No, but you can show them a high quality movie of your filtered mental understanding of supernal symbols.

Which is in many ways, exactly what you want.
And in various others, completely different.

What's the different part?

Well for example, you only get the information, not the extra capacity.

So Time sight won't let you pre-empt other's actions.

This worked quite well in the previous thread, so let's post again our oWoD/CofD filenames.

Took a trip to DC recently, and there was an interesting display in the Smithsonian American Art Museam: The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations' Millennium General Assembly. Basically some guy went a little crazy, started hearing angels, and spent 14 years building a throne for God's imminent return out of anything he could scavenge. Something like this screams plot hooks to me; maybe a failed Awakening or abandoned Infrastructure

There's an accompanying notebook as well, St James: The Book of the 7 Dispensation. It's written in undecipherd script, like an American Voynich Manuscript

In DC? Sybaris visions from the cursed city's mummy geomancy and huge arisen population

Would reanimating Dinosaurs be crime of Hubris?

Some people just cant get used to the ideas of peace.

It would be fucking awesome is what it would be

No more than animating a regular corpse.

Mind you, before mastery, you're not going to get a stomping zombie dino for your trouble. Only an animated skeleton. Which might be cooler now that I think about it.

Would it be possible to give your awesome animated skeleton Mage Armour of Matter?

Mage armor is only for the mage themself. It's sort of like your nimbus is congealing around you.

That being said nothing stops you from strapping mundane or mystical armor plates and/or machine guns to your animated skeletal tyrannosaurus. You may want to cloak it with a veiling spell however to keep the Guardians from bitching too much.

Nah, you can't bestow Mage Armor anymore since the transition from spells to Attainments. You could cast a Shielding spell on it though. Or you could use the Metal Dead spell from Grimoire of Grimoires and turn it into a solid steel animated dino skeleton.

And how the fuck does the dino move without muscles?

Magic

>Or you could use the Metal Dead spell from Grimoire of Grimoires and turn it into a solid steel animated dino skeleton.
Magnificent.

Also it's annoying that you can't bestow Mage Armor anymore, but I'd rather focus on an awesome metal dino skeleton.

Of course the next logical step is to make it into a Thaumium Dino Skeleton and fill in the gaps with Kinetic Shields.

You're asking this question about a magic system where you can make it so there's a spontaneous eclipse but only over a square mile. Nothing makes sense, but there are worse offenders, even in the Arcanum of Death.

So mage magic is shit got you. Hearing about forces and matter gave me hope for the system but now I think I'll just stick with Demon.

You're probably just binding a ghost in it which then animates it. I think just compelling shit to move via the power of your mind is forces

>Also it's annoying that you can't bestow Mage Armor anymore
Yeah, but it makes more sense as an Attainment than a spell imo, and plus now it gets to be a reflexive action.

>So mage magic is shit got you
Why, because it doesn't adhere to science or make "sense"? And then you say you'll stick with Demon. Don't they also warp the fuck out of reality in ways that defy science and logic?

I think they wanted a more in depth explanation of how the magic animates it than just magic although magic is the right answer. When it comes to Death arcanum a huge chunk of it is about altering or commanding ghosts so my guess here on a rad skeleton is you make it basically a ghost piloted robot.

Physics is part of Lie in MtAw. Gravity is a part of Lie which makes thoughts like "I can fly" looks stupid and impossible.