/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Harmful body image edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1N0bbT2a0y_THicAgRS1SxKZA9ZKtDmJpDsiDSyKAkAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_131&products_id=1660
assaultpublishing.com/product-category/3mm-sci-fi-miniatures/
em4miniatures.com/acatalog/SCAVENGERS.html
mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=future-savage-with-gunn&cName=future-warrior-28-mm
moonrakerminiatures.com/
wargamevault.com/browse/pub/3519/Legionnaire-Games
wargamevault.com/product/124513/Strike-Legion-Designers-Notes
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Next thing we see is, that someone does a discord chat. And we will discuss if that chat will kill the general

Also for those interested in a group build:
Theme is "monster" and the timeframe 1st to 30th of September.

Post a timestamped? pic of your unpainted mini (assembled and primed is fine).

What is the group build??

I've ordered a bunch of Gamezone/Artemis Black hero miniatures.

What fantasy skirmish games can let me play a band of heroes? Stuff like Frostgrave/Mordheim is more focused on one leader and a gang of grunts, which doesn't fit a whole band of elite looking guys.

I have loads of skeletals/orcs for them to fight thanks to the Dungeon Saga KS.

SoBaH or Lion/Dragon Rampant could work.
There are also a few other more historical minded games that would fit the theme, but their names escape me atm.
If it's more of a skirmish warband lead by heroes and not 'just' heroes you could also look into SAGA and LotR.

Here's the post in the last thread that sparked the discussion
Literally building some kind of monstrous creature basically.
Ogres, Trolls whatever. Personally I'm leaning towards something you'd have to build on a 40mm base, but that may just be me.

>Post a timestamped? pic of your unpainted mini
For what purpose?

Hmmm ...I am KoW guy. So either a regiment of zombie trolls or a bitchking on flying lyndworm = Terrorgheist.
Since you said 40mm base, would a big monster like the terrorgheist qualify?

SoBaH, it's well within the bounds of the system to have your elite, unique hero warband against a horde of skelly and orc mooks.

If you can relate it back to the theme I'm sure it'll be fine, this really doesn't seem like a super strict thing.

I was just summarizing the old thread.
Strictly speaking there is no way to make anyone do it, nor any benefit to having people so it in the first place I guess, hence the spoilered questionmark.
As long as people start posting minis at all it's all good in my book.

It proves that you started with an unpainted mini and didn't just submit something already completed.

Considering there's no prizes or anything on offer it's not really that important but it is still good sportsmanship.

>nor any benefit to having people so it in the first place I guess
Yeah, that was why I asked. I'm a fan of that not being a rule, since it opens up the build to people wanting a kick up the butt to finish off an old half-done project.

Considering the lack of stakes, I'd argue that any mini posting is good mini posting.

I'd say the best compromise is to say a timestamped unpainted shot is encouraged, but not compulsory.

I would also see the like the stages between Grey plastic and finished model.

We could do a mass before after picture. Would be nice

Rogue Planet. It's technically science fantasy, but it's the sort of game that's designed to make melee and big swords viable. It also does the big powerful heroes/monsters vs hordes thing well.

You can also pick assholes up and throw them around, through walls and into their friends.

Asking here again: Any news of any upcoming fancy 28 mm fantasy plastic sets?

I know of the frostgrave dwarfs and the pirate crew ones

Northstar is also working on some Dwarves (pictures of that are floating around already) and some Snakemen (these are gonna come out next year, no pictures yet)

Those dwarves you mention are the frostgrave ones user was talking about.

for some reason I thought he mentioned the goblins. So there are goblins in the works too.

On this week's episode of River Monsters!
I'll post a real pic on Monday when I get my camera back. I also have to sand and re-prime large parts of it because I'm a retard.

Rogue Planet looks ace, thanks for the recommendation.

Apparently North Star are doing metal dorfs to go with the plastics, they look neat.

Spectre Ops would be perfect for a Jagged Alliance or Xcom game with some light rpg rules tacked on, in the same vein of the original Planes and Mercs.

>make static as fuck plastics
>then dynamic metals

Great...

I've made a few updates to my Alternating Activation system based on earlier recommendations. At its core, it's a system where each player alternates moving single units. The game is "two action", where Interrupts only let you perform a single Action, and you have a variable amount of Tactical Points per turn which can be used to meddle with the game's turn structure, allowing for consecutive unit activations, interrupting interrupts, and splitting a unit's actions into two activations, or activation+interrupt. Basically, there's a lot less downtime between players.

docs.google.com/document/d/1N0bbT2a0y_THicAgRS1SxKZA9ZKtDmJpDsiDSyKAkAQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Let me know if there are any weird RAW issues you see with the current implementation.

From last thread, someone shared the Scrappers PDF. Seems interesting, with the way you allocate moves before then activating units, plus finding rare items on the field.
Anyone give the game a shot?

Is there a pdf floating around somewhere? Always hesitant to buy sight unseen.

That's how this stuff usually works. You can't really do dynamic with multipart plastics, unless you make them full monopose-anti-partswap again.

>sexy metal dwarves
>this means sexy metal orcs/goblins
>possibly even great orcs

i am ready

Has Bob Olley ever done sculpting for North Star?

There's a potential collab that gets me moist.

to the best of my knowledge no, is he still active?

also you got a link to the metal dwarfs?

On North Star's Facebook, spam filter won't let me post link.

His own website closed down but he still does sculpting for other companies.

There was a kickstarter recently by some small company for a range of skeletal halflings sculpted by Bob.

He's done TONS of stuff for Reaper, too.

i have a few of the old stuff he did, he was pretty good. any idea when they might drop the not-lotr stuff?

You absolutely can do dynamic with multi-part plastics. All it takes is some angled arms and leg poses other than "waiting for the bus." What doesn't work is dynamic models designed to be all ranked up. And since Northstar's Dwarfs are being designed for a rank n' flank game it makes sense the standard troops not being super dynamic posing.

So let me rephrase that: It's hard to do dynamic with what people usually expect from multipart plastics: Easy partswaps and kitbashes. Because Wyrd's stuff is dynamic as fuck, but if you want to convert that, you actually have to apply yourself.

Any skirmish wargame that has progression like mordheim but allows you to field monsters? Without special dice or needing cards either.

Song of Blades and Heroes has an expansion called Song of Deeds and Glory with pretty extensive "your doods" progression rules.

Does it add a little more finesse into the combat rules? I still can't get past a model's combat score being identical for ranged and melee.

Why not just houserule a bad at fighting/bad at shooting modifier that shaves some points off the profile and gives penalties to the relevant attack?

I need a quick rundown on infinity

It is an abstract concept describing something without any bound.

Never change Veeky Forums.

Weird request:

Anyone know of any mini providers that make just chimpanzees and other apes. Like no sci fi attachments no holding human weapons just chimps with at most a stick?

Wargames Foundry does some silverbacks.

So does anyone here know the best way to strip paint from models made of that board game ABS sort of plastic? I need to redo some of my MERCS stuff but I'm worried that simple green may not react too well with the material.

eurekamin.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=87_126_131&products_id=1660

Otherworld has a lot of monsters in the bestiary ranging from kobolds to giants.

Simple Green generally doesn't soften plastic unless you leave it there for a long, long time. Generally speaking, a 12-24 hour soak is plenty to loosen the paint for either a brushing, or even peeling it right off like a skin.

If you're saying ABS plastic, is it for the Recon line, or did they use the same plastic for both the board and miniatures games? On that note, how is the detail quality of the plastics? One of the game stores I go to has pretty much all the faction boxes sitting there to temp me whenever I walk by. I might pick one or two up if the details aren't quite as grim as early reports suggested.

super clean

there are many degreasers that will work for stripping(not all, but you can do some tests). People in italy only use chante clair to strip paints,it's very weak, doesn't get primer, but you can even forget yopur mini in it for a thousand years and it comes out unaffected. You can use it for any material as long as you don't need to strip primer too. (sometimes primer does come halfway off though)

The plastics are the same now for Recon and the skirmish game.

The game is gun with 2.0 being a clear improvement over 1st. The faction packs are a good deal. $35 for ten models and the stat cards? You're set to play outside an opponent and some dice since the rules are available online for free now.

As for details they're pretty decent. Not like GW levels of detail, but pretty solid.

So you think simple green would work without ruining the models or making them not take to primer well in the future?

Simple Green is my go-to for stripping minis. High-grade alcohol or acetone-free nail polish remover can risk making plastics more brittle. PineSol can sometimes make plastics turn gummy, if not into a slurry. Mineral Spirits and acetone will eat your plastics. Brake fluid is quite toxic, is flammable, and needs to be disposed of via a mechanic or hazerdous waste drives, and will require goggles and gloves. Super Clean works well, but can cause burns, so it will probably also require gloves and eye protection.

The only issue I've come across with Simple Green to date is that I forgot some metal minis in a container of it for several months, and they got a blackish/burnt discoloration in splotches across the metal. I've read that that covers up smoothly with primer and paint, but I have yet to test that for myself. Sadly, I cannot say if it will impact your minis' ability to take new primer. So far I have had no issues with plastics, and my only gripe with resins is that it hasn't always gotten all of the paint up quite as well as I would like, but I figure that's the nature of the material.

It is an inconvenience, but if you're super worried, you could go to ebay and pick up a solo blister of one of your minis, then use the plastic one as a tester for stripping. If something does happen to go terribly wrong (unlikely) you can replace it with the metal mini.

Oh hey, o8's getting into 3mm 40K now.

assaultpublishing.com/product-category/3mm-sci-fi-miniatures/

Scroll down for Eldar and what looks awfully like a proxy Russ. Also available (probably) on picoarmor in the us and fighting15s in the uk.

I know some folk on shapeways do 3mm space marine vehicles, but it's nice to see stuff in metal - 3mm makes epic more so.

I do have a bunch of spare models from the KS I'll never use. I could probably throw aome paint on one and test the simple green with that.

Will have to make sure to do it on a day off so I can keep an eye on it.

The general rule is that 12-24 hours in Simple Green is enough to properly react with the paint, and is harmless to the actual mini. It's only when you somehow do what I did and forget things in it for months on end that you run a risk of something getting wonky.

Great. Guess I've got some trating to do.

Thanks!

>trating
What the actual fuck? How did I manage to type that when going for testing? I need to go to bed.

Who has good Raider raider minis?

chech out the copplestone scavengers. you can get them from mirmilton. copplestoone castings has some too of course.
lead adventure also has a bice range of post apoc minis.
Then there are games like punkocalypse, eden and sulphur that are basically modeled around the whole mad max/fallout thing.

sorry, that pic is a bit misleading. half of that are escher gangers from gw.
meant to post something else.

Maybe give the Outcasts faction from Dark Age a look. It's a fairly popular faction due to the very post-apocalyptic and raider vibes it gives off. You have generic outcasts, slavers, and nomads to pick from.

Quick word to the wise: Simple Green can weaken green stuff and super glue bonds, if that is something you're worried about. It doesn't turn it into goop, but it will help weaken the bonding power.

We do - in fact, we have a whole set of additional tweaks, but it makes it a bit awkward when bringing other players in and I would just be interested to see what they would do with it. I know that (optional) more detailed combat was discussed as a future expansion when the book was originally released / revised

>copplestone scavengers

I think those two non-GW metals on the front left are EM-4 Miniatures user. No idea about the back right one.

em4miniatures.com/acatalog/SCAVENGERS.html

Fuck's sake, I only got an order off them last month and there's a few single metals I've seen that look cool. Not worth paying £1.50+£3 postage though, joke.

>3mm 40k

>I think those two non-GW metals on the front left are EM-4 Miniatures user. No idea about the back right one.
Yeah they are. But Mirliton sells them too in their future warriors range.
mirliton.it/product_info.php?pName=future-savage-with-gunn&cName=future-warrior-28-mm

I've been reading Rogue Planet and while it looks super great I'd have liked a few more spells.

So I'm considering adding a few borrowed from Frostgrave, with adjustments to match the system. Is this an insanely bad idea?

>tfw you drop $60 on bits for the group build
It's the postage that's the real killer, I wish all these tiny cottage manufacturers would just form a federation so that I can buy things from one place.

In addition to what others have said, Ramshackle Games and Thunderchild miniatures have some funky post-apoc stuff.

I know the feel, I know it's laborious but a package under A4 size less than 100g is a £1 stamp here, and yet most companies charge £3-5 to post one or two metals. Puts me off regularly, need to go to more wargaming shows I guess.

Only buy from Mirliton if you want to pay an assload of shipping and not see what you ordered for 3 months. Friggin Italians.

Hey everyone. I just took a look at some of the Darklands minis, specifically their minotaurs. Fuck they look amazing. Does anybody play the game? I'm quite interested, but i have no fucking idea what the game is like

The minis do look great, but have you seen the prices?
That aside there was some shady stuff going on with maelstrom etc...

Yeah, it looks expensive as fuck, more so given that i'm from Argentina, but still, they look soooo fucking good. I play mostly homebrews anyway, and id love to add them to my collection in case the game is shit

Are there any miniature-agnostic armoured battle games? Pretty much a scifi FFTOWs?

Why did you have problems with them?
I was considering buying some of the old Grenadier fantasy minis for my collection.

Moonraker, a component of EM-4 Miniatures based in the UK sells them at a far more reasonable rate.
moonrakerminiatures.com/

You're forced to use Mirliton if you want most of the fantasy figures though. And I literally said what my problem was with them. Italians will take you for a ride for some really shitty shipping rates.

Dirtside might be up your alley.

Oh, that's why half of this is out of stock on em4, with little mention of there being a new site for them.

How bizarre though, they're about 200 miles apart, em4 is Suffolk way iirc.

Yeah, not sure what's up with that, but I've ordered from Moonraker a few times already, and it delivers fast, even though I'm on the pacific coast. They've released some figures EM-4 didn't previously have too.

Off the top of my head;

Dirtside
Horizon Wars
Polyversal (if that ever got out of kickstarter limbo, idk)
Laser Storm
Future War Commander

Oh also CAV: Strike Operations and Mech Attack if you want robutts (I think they also handle tanks and other vehicles just fine though).

Does Frostgrave still go on?

Now that new Necromunda has been confirmed to be a shitty scaled-down board game my imagination needs a new place to live.

Last expansion it got was the hidden motives one with the cards. The author also did the Spellcaster magazine thing. I expect that there will be more issues than one at some point.

And with Ghost Archipelago on the horizon - and it's first expansion - I'm pretty sure there will be more.

If you are into Pirates that may be worth checking out too.

Neat!

Thanks, user. Is it going to be hard to get caught up with the Frosty expansion stuff coming from the vanilla book only?

I hope there isn't toooo much compulsory terrain I have to make.

Not really.
The bigger books like Breeding Pits, Thaw of the Lichlord and Forgotten Pacts add a new school of magic, new magic items and several connected narrative scenarios, i.e. new campaigns.
Lichlord allows you to use Lichmagic, Breeding Pits allows you to use Beastcrafters, which means body modifications like claws or wings for your Wizard and Forgotten Pacts allows you to worship/make pacts with demons and receive demonic gifts/powers in return.

These are additional options, you can just play with the regular wizards you already have. If you play the campaigns you are gonna be using campaign specific loot tables, but that's something you are looking up anyway.

Basically if you start a new warband for the campaign setting you have a bit more to catch up with, if you are using the new magic disciplines, if not it's really just different scenarios, different loot and a handful of new creatures.

As for the scenery a lot of it you can probably reuse or proxy. Those pillars from the basic book are going to come in handy a few times more.
Mostly they are just markers, monster spawns or places to get treasure from.

Thaw of the Lichlord for example has a battle that takes place on a frozen river, where you are supposed to get a certain treasure from a wracked ship.
You could set up the table with any other kind of scenery to though.
I like the scenarios as resource for scenery ideas though.

Normally I'd just use the existing mechanics to do whatever magic thing I feel like, but you're not exactly playing a tight tournament ruleset, and it's hardly as broken as that time I just used straight AD&D spells referee-fiatted into functioning in a game of Mordheim.

Grand.

I shall use an fish-tank model shipwreck.

And base all my men with goblin green and grass because that's how I like it, goddamnit.

>Pretty much a scifi FFTOWs?
There's an alternate universe where they made that fucking Railgun game that was going to be SF FFT, if you can find your way there.

I like Strike Legion. No, not the wacky RPG, it's a fairly crunchy set of wargaming rules. There's also a platoon level version I've never touched, and a bloody great fights version that I like.

The main version's Strike Legion/Strike Legion Tactical, which has an updated edition with all the supplemental stuff in the book, and the operational version is Strike Legion Planetary Operations, which also has a WW3 supplement with rules for tactical nukes.

wargamevault.com/browse/pub/3519/Legionnaire-Games

wargamevault.com/product/124513/Strike-Legion-Designers-Notes is a free ad/designer's notes things where the designer rambles about the games, I found it fairly interesting. The comments about Tactical mention that it's a bit hard cross-referencing multiple books - it was written before they published the compendium edition that should fix that.

The goblin green bases are gonna fit in seamlessly with the lush jungles of the Ghost Archipelago.
If you are inclined to give that a try and paint a Heritor and Warden that is.

I heard that even though GA is kind of like Frostgrave's second edition crossovergames should be possible.

I wanted to build some scenery, but I'm kind of torn, I like the idea of jungle scenery, but a Frostgrave table could double as Mordheim table.

I'm looking to do some LoZ moblin-style orc conversions (amongst others) — I'm sure I remember seeing bulldog miniatures with Bretonnians (or someone) in old White Dwarf mags, but I'm drawing blanks searching the web.

May end up simply sculpting the pig/dog jowls myself but would like to patch together existing parts as well —can anyone point me at any bulldog-ish miniatures they know of?

Gruntz is pretty fun for 15mm games.

These came in today for me. Thought it was finally time to get myself physical copies and I wanted a separate SoBaH and an ASoBaH copy for when we play only the one or the other

It's a shame that my local shop doesn't carry any /awg/ stuff and can't even order it. Had to order through Amazon and this way I feel like I support the scene, yet somehow I don't.

>LoZ
took me a moment, but that stands for Legend of Zelda right?

>I'm sure I remember seeing bulldog miniatures with Bretonnians (or someone) in old White Dwarf mags, but I'm drawing blanks searching the web.
Pretty sure the Bretonnians had a dog in the warmachine crew for the trebuchet, but that wasn't a bulldog.
There was a Mordheim fighting dog though. That one was a Bulldog I think.
Or a Mastiff. GW has a hardon for mastiffs.

>can anyone point me at any bulldog-ish miniatures they know of?
Not really the whole bulldog headed ork thing, but definitely bulldogs. If you got some slicone or even oyumaru around you could just cast extra heads yourself for converting.
The only humanoid dog that comes close is the pitbull one from Hasslefree called Chipster. You can get that one either naked or as sci-fi version.
If you use GW or Shieldwolf plastic orks with heads from 28mm bulldogs you should get something that vaguely resembles a Zelda ork/moblin.

Reaper has a bunch of dogs, one of them an armored wardog, which has a bulldogs face. Pretty huge.
Frostgrave has a wardog as well that you could use.
Otherworld also has some bulldogs. The above three all look pretty similar.
Warlord sells a pack of Mastiffs for their Celts in Hail Ceasar. Those could work for smaller figures like a regular infantry sized humanoid. May be a bit too small for plastic ork bodies.
Seargeant Major sells some dogs, not sure about the breeds anymore. They have a pack of collared and uncollared Mastiffs though iirc.
Warlord also have a whole array of other dogs, but they are bundled with characters usually for whatever reason. One of the Germanic Chieftains and a Roman General both have doggy sidekicks, not sure what breed though.
Dee Zee have a pack of nice dogs wit various breeds.
And Bushido have some rather cartoony fighting dogs (pic related), but I figure the heads should look neat on a humanoid body.

I feel like there was a kind of parody thing of british ww soldier because of the whole winston churchill thing.

Anyway Just to reiterate the imo probably best way is to take a dogs head and convert your own orks from that.

The Wargames factory orks that are now sold by Warlord kind of have dog faces to, but they look like the LotR cartoon rather than the fatty Zelda orks.

dammit, wrong image.

Anyone have the downlow on Arena Rex? I've been eyballing it for a while now but want to hear what people think about it