MTG modern general

elves edition

didnt see one so i made one. sorry if there already was one. anyway

>playing
>hating
>brewing

>thread q
You guys expecting much from the new set? i'm at least hoping for a decent lore read and a few good artifacts. but if anything i'm getting a bit more of a tribal theme vibe from all the stuff im seeing.

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-biovisionary
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have low expectations for Ixalan.

Tribal pirates may be cool in standard.

I am not excited about the rules changes, having to face two Lilianas or two Gideons is not going to be fun. I'm not even one of those "hurr planeswalkers ruined muh magic" people, but planeswalkers as a type were limited by the fact that they rarely can overlap because different characters tend to have different types of abilities and it's rare that multiple planeswalker characters advance the gameplan you're trying to execute. Wizards is expecting decks to be able to deal with Liliana of the Veil and Last Hope on the board on a consistent basis now, and while I'm sure most decks can do that, it's not fun gameplay.

well the defeat cycle will spike in price im shure. thoes are the cards i can think of that can reliably remove the bastards.

now that i think about it wouldnt tezzeret see more play in artifact decks? you could use seeker tezzie to tutor for artifacts. and AoB to turn them into beaters. and u could use Doubling season to have AoB and seeker come in at 6 and 8 repectively.

>playing/brewing
HollowRack shitbrew
>hating
SCG buyouts
>q
I expect very little. The closest we got to Raid last time around was what, Bloodsoaked Champion? Explore is way too good to actually be printed on a decent body, and 3-drop Explore 1 on a stick is awful.
I'm actually surprised how much I like the flavor. The jungle sun worshipers still feel undeveloped, as do the pirates, but the Vamps are real neato. The conquistador link is buried enough to be unobtrusive, and there's enough fresh ideas and culture mixed in that it has room to live and work.

It's Rancor. Just cast it again next turn.
I don't think playing -1 G is strictly optimal, but it is probably one of the more reliable ways to make an evasive Chad.
The question is how badly we need an evasive Chad.

Why didn't they just say "except they're not Jace Planeswalkers" or "the Planeswalker Uniqueness rule doesn't apply"? 8-12 Lili sounds ultra-degenerative.
Wizards are definitely going to either undo this or band-aid this glaring wound by printing 3-mana sorcery answers at Rare.
Hopefully they'll print a cycle of efficient common or uncommon creatures that hate on walkers.

>and you could use doubling season
>doubling season

Fuck off

Pithing Needle and Vampire Hexmage, my dude.
The meta is going to get shaken up and be a bit rough for weeks to a month, but once it all settles not much will have changed. Walkers really have just become Creatures 2.0, like Wizards always dreamed.

Should I start buying a full set of Needles, then?

What, you wouldn't like getting slapped by four gideons at the same time? I'll build a deploy the gideons deck now.

They're $3-4 per. Dreadbore might also not be a bad idea, also because I'm expecting it to hit $5 from panic buyers it's actually a godawful card, but PANIC and you never know if it might actually turn into a necessity. $8 now or $20 later?

Sorcerous Spyglass seems to be of great interest, but only because it's a colorless answer to Chad of the Trials and Chandra the Deck Scorcher in Standard. Will probably be of even higher demand when the new planeswalker rule finally has an effect in Standard.
What decks normally play Pithing Needle and why?

I feel that this is just a logical conclusion.
You can have Thalia, Guardian of Thraben and Thalia, Heretic Cathar on the field at the same time, so why not Jace the Mind Sculptor and Jace Beleren at the same time? Why can a Lego creature fight with their future self, but a PW can't?

Any deck that wants to turn off activated abilities, and can afford to use some mana for something other than the main plan (basically anything but super aggro)

Walkers are usually more game changing

I'm pretty pleased with the way these counters turned out.

The orange could pop a little more, but overall they're better than I was expecting.

How'd you get those made?

I disagree. I think the Legend Rule should have been changed to be more like the Planeswalker Uniqueness rule but there was no real way to make that happen mechanically without a huge headache.

>Why can a Lego creature fight with their future self, but a PW can't?
Summoned creatures are just mana constructs shaped by a planeswalker's memories, while planeswalker cards represent the player getting another planeswalker to help them fight. When they run out of loyalty or are destroyed they just fuck off and go back to whatever they were doing before, they don't die.

ponoko.com

I had to design them in inkscape and then they laser cut the acrylic for me.

Can't find a mtg general. So I'll ask here.
What's a cheap, fun set or block to make a cube out of? I'm looking to start playing MTG again with my friends but we don't want to sink too much cash in it (for now) so we were looking for some cheap solution to mess around.
How should I go about building the cube? 4/4/1 for common, uncommon, rares?

Why nobody is running waste not in 8rack?

Because it doesn't do anything?

It looks like direct sunlight makes the engravings a little brighter, but it also makes the counters more opaque.

>generating threats and card draw in a deck that has often stalling/grinding problems doesn't do anything

>Oh boy I topdecked it when my opponent's hand is already empty! So much value!

autismo

Not him, but in 8rack it's neither good on turn 2 or after turn 2.

fag

I'm not a faggot bitch
(You) on the other hand:
>no denying
Like pottery.

>Oh boy I topdecked it when my opponent's hand is already empty! So much value

That can be said for all the hand discard as well

At least the discard spells are proactive instead of being a do-nothing enchantment

Fucking Veeky Forums you don't ever explain yourself.
user, If we are playing on curve you have to spend one of 8racks most important turns setting it up instead of advancing your rack, which is more time for your opponent to do something you don't want.

So when you are able to ideally drop it - which is closer to turn 5, 6 unless you are really lucky. It comes down too late, and doesn't produce enough threat or advantage to matter, and becomes a win more card which is taking up slots that could be used to preserve or advance your rack.

Bumping this
Help me senpais

I dunno. I play modern, i dont have a cube. Did you try google?

If Wizards knew this planeswalker change was coming why didn't they print planeswalker specific hate beforehand?

Like why doesn't Harsh Mentor hit planeswalker abilities? Why is there no planeswalker specific versions of cards like Path to Exile or Stony Silence or Diabolic Edict.

Harsh Mentor would be insane if it hit planeswalkers. And the card you're looking for is Suppression Field, newfriend

Harsh Mentor would be a solid sideboard card if it hit planeswalkers. It doesn't change many matchups other than the BGx decks and the UWx decks.

It would single-handedly make planeswalkers unable to activate at all in aggressive red decks because you would just kill their walker for free

against aggressive red decks, rather

Is there a problem with that? It's a creature so it's permanent type that's easiest to interact with. There are plenty of one-off hosers in Modern. Leyline, Stony Silence, Ensnaring Bridge, Blood Moon, Chalice. I don't see one that punishes planeswalkers as a bad thing.

>Hurr durr dies to removal
believe it or not, your opponent doesn't always have removal in their hand. Eidolon of the Great Revel is enough of a damage factory that you don't need 4 more copies of it in your deck that covers the other half of the things your opponent can spend their mana on.

Still need glistener elves and mutagenic growths for infect, possibly deserts too.
Other decks
Bio visionary turbo fog (12 fogs 12 draw things.)
3 alarm fire (part normal burn, part kudotha red, part ramuamp red)
Budget zoo...

Looking to get into silly tron, maybe with torrent elemental as my sweeper, possibly even equipped with grafted exoskeleton unless some better infect exist....

you coud use phyresis to enchant big hitters in tron like wurmcoil engine

Does Biovisionary run clones? What colors are you running? Or you could give a decklist.

I miss infect ;_;

I miss twin

That too
Same with Titan

I don't have caverns

GB or GW elves?

I'd say GB
it's not like the deck is super susceptible to counters anyway though. getting off coco is the hardest part

Does that Spellweaver Worldfire deck even work without Gitaxian Probe?

I miss Bloom Titan.

>If Wizards knew this planeswalker change was coming why didn't they print planeswalker specific hate beforehand
Because their R&D and design teams are in the fucking shitter, look at what a mess Standard was a little while ago

In my opinion Standard is allowed to be a broken shithole. I'm perfectly okay with dealing with a pile of degenerate shit on the condition that they are actively banning and unbanning cards when they are properly identified and if cards were cheaper.

And NEITHER are the case. They fucking broke their own ban schedule, which they expanded for flexibility and so they didn't need to emergency ban cards, to emergency ban Marvel. I mean how fucking stupid is that. Then there's cards being so fucking expensive that banning expensive shit just pisses off people who may have just dropped $100 on a pile of four pieces of cardboard.

If cards were cheap so people could pivot to other decks and they were serious about monitoring the health of the format then I wouldn't give a fuck about balancing a set before release. Instead we have a world where it's imbalanced, expensive, and they don't give a fuck about active banning. The current state of things are the worst of all worlds; there is absolutely nothing that is going right and yet retards are still paying for this ridiculously overcosted game.

>Playing MTG
>Being in direct sunlight

Pick one.

In what should i invest first for my BW death and taxes deck, thalia GoT or vials? What could i put in the deck in the meanwhile? As lons as i don't have thalia i'm running 4 IoK. Any other good additions?

>invest
Buying singles is not investing. This is a critique of your wording.
>thalia, GoT, or Vials
Do you have your lands? If so, Vials. If not, lands. This is done because lands, followed by Vial, are used in more decks.

>invest
What i meant was buying. I'm not looking for actual monetary investment and i don't want to play stockmarket with cardboard.
I can't buy both playsets at once and my question is rather what will have more impact on the performance of the deck when i buy it and what cards i could run in the meantime.
I already have all lands i need.

Thalia lets you tax at the intended level the deck should operate at.
Vial lets you get into taxation-mode faster.
Given that D&T isn't a hard-lock deck like Lantern, I'm going to argue for speed rather than taxation strength.

D&Tfag is around somewhere to provide the final word, mind you.

guy had 2 plains, a drazi temple and a shambling vent. i topdecked a d.palm, he topdecked a ghost quarter but couldnt tech the swamp for vents since he had leonin in play. i could sense his frustration over the interwaves, which were only further exasperated by dodging lethal with the palm. when i topdecked boros charm the next turn for lethal he said some shit and i wanna know what it means ok ty upvote

Apparently this is italian, the second part means "this shit". Not sure about the first part tho, google translate is weird. If I had to guess he called you a goddamn pig or something.

He's basically saying "NUH MY FUGGIN GOD DDD:"

Ah I see, google translate turned it into something completely nonsensical then.

>e porco dio madonna
it's just a random curse, literally something like "jesus madonna hog"
>muori merda
"die, you shit"

source: I'm italian

I'm pretty sure it's over 60 cards and temur, I haven't tested it yet...
4 biovisionaries
4 artisan of forms
2 fated infatuation
2 Cackling counterpart
4 druid's deliverance
4 haze of pollen
4 fog
4 fevered visions
4 dakra mystic
4 dictate of kruphix
1 elixer of immortality
3 turn aside
3 negate
2 yavimaya coast
1 shiv an reef
1 swift water cliffs
1 thorn wood falls
1 simic growth chamber
1 izzet boiler works
2 evolving wilds
2 survivors encampment
2 Radiant fountains
4 forest, 4 islands, 2 mountains
1 unknown shores

Is there a creature based aggro deck that isn't zoo or stompy? Something like atarka red in old standard or mono red in current standard.

8whack.

Rakdos aggro

>Turn Aside
I think Mizzium Skin would be better since it fizzles Abrupt Decay and can help your Biovisionaries survive Anger of the Gods with that toughness boost. Doesn't protect your enchantments, though, but it gives you an extra card to turn on Artisan of forms.
Phantasmal Image is a good clone. Sure it dies by being targeted, but most targeting spells are intended to kill anyways.
Sideboard is also recommended. Keep the maindeck at exactly 60.
Regardless the deck seems very janky overall, especially the landbase.
This deck was made at some point.
mtggoldfish.com/articles/against-the-odds-biovisionary

I forgot how fun Ad Nauseam can be

Is Grim Lavamancer a good card right now? in not burn

Seems like a good way to deal with affinity and lantern control and such. I'm maining blood moon for tron, siding anger of the gods for aggro alongside my normal removal suite.

Fnm is for playtesting, right?

Unless X/2s somehow slide into prominence, Lavamancer will remain a Burn card.

Not really, doesn't kill goyf or shadow
if you've got a big elf problem maybe it's worth running but otherwise im not sold

Combo critters and affinity are pretty common

there are better options against both

Merfolk, goblins

GL would be on top of 3 push 2 terminate 2 k command and 3 lili

I'm gunna try it and report back.

Honestly, the lands are the reason I run over 61 cards.
Also for my zoo deck, what cheap'ass not-goyf is the best
Greenwheel Liberator
Moldgraf shambler
Hooting Mandrills
Exemplar of strength
Sylvan advocate

is shrine of burning rage in burn a meme?

>Like why doesn't Harsh Mentor hit planeswalker abilities?

Because it doesn't need to. You can always redirect the damage to the planeswalker from the triggered ability.

Any budget decks that are strong against Valakut, Knightfall, and Tron? Lands are a bitch to deal with.

I don't know if it's viable but you can " donate" an aggressive mining to them.... and ghost qquarter some lands...
Use red mana a cell to get it put quick.

You have 10 seconds to defend the shardless agent ban

there would be a reason to play sultai DS

It's not banned it was never legal in Modern.

I have no ban to defend because it was never banned in the first place.

Are there any budget decks that can simply just race them or tempo them out?

>BBE into Shardless into Goyf, maybe an Ancestral instead
how can non-memerange compete

Is Skred budget enough for you? It's not great against Tron but it should beat Knightfall and Valakut easy.

okay i guess the better question is, why are things like planechase not allowed

Modern is only standard legal sets after 8th Edition.

It's retarded, I know.

i thought it was anything with modern boarder
whoops lol

Format without reserved list now please.

Voltaic brawler

what's the best deck with bobs?

Abzan or straight BG probably. Bob and decks that play him are not really in a good position right now and it's a large reason why I don't really enjoy the format at the moment

Thoughts?

Not even in your wildest dreams