SoB Order Creation

Figured we get Space Marine Chapter creation threads and IG Regiment creator threads every now and again, but I haven't seen an Order creation thread in a long time. Anyone care to help me roll up some fluff for an order of Sisters?

Give me a d10 do determine what major order we derived from if you are interested.

Bolter bitches tits of BTFO faggot

Rolled 1 (1d10)

These threads have been sadly quiet recently, let's hope for something better

Rolled 7 (1d10)

I don't know what table OP's looking at but I like that 1.

Alright, we derive from the Order of our Martyred Lady

Give me a d10 for why the Order was founded.

Rolled 8 (1d10)

Drop a little lore or fluff if there is any to spice up the thread.

K. So here is a bit about the Order of the Martyred Lady, from whom our order derives. They were led and founded by Canoness Katherine (Whose armor would later be taken up by the living Saint Celestine), who led her order for many decades before being murdered by the Witch-cult of Mnestteus. So moved by her death were her Sisters that they changed the orders name to the Order of Our Martyred Lady (It was previously the Order of the Fiery Heart in honor of the Canoness' zeal) in her honor. The Order wore the black of mourning for their lost lady for many centuries afterward.

The Order has determination beyond even their fellow Sisters of the other orders, forever driven to avenge the death of Katherine and their Sisters who fall in battle. To their enemies, they are not known for mercy, but instead for thorough and utter destructiveness.

The Order of Our Martyred Lady was once known as the Order of the Fiery Heart. Like their fellow Adepta Sororitas Orders Militant, the Sisters of the Fiery Heart could trace their origins back to the teachings of the Daughters of the Emperor during the Age of Apostasy in the 36th Millennium, but soon small variances began to manifest amongst the newly founded Orders as the persona of the different founders asserted themselves. The Order of the Fiery Heart reflected the vengeful nature of their first Canoness and eventual patron Imperial Saint, Katherine. She led her Order for many decades, enforcing the Emperor's will and prosecuting the wars of the Ecclesiarchy across the galaxy. Within her lifetime she was declared a Living Saint for performing legendary acts and led her Order to countless victories. Eventually, Katherine met an ignominious end when she was murdered by the Witch-cult of Mnestteus. So deeply did her Sisters mourn Katherine's loss that they renamed their Order the Order of Our Martyred Lady.

The Order once operated a convent on the desolate, wind-swept world of Sanctuary, known as Fortress-Sanctuary 101. In 897.M41 the convent and all the Sisters of Battle within were destroyed by the awakening of the Necrons who had made Sanctuary one of their Tomb Worlds. Twelve years later in 909.M41, Canoness Sepherina made a pilgrimage to the site of the massacre. Her task was to reconsecrate the hallowed ground of the former convent, which still bore the scars of the Necron attack. She erected a single statuette of their patron saint Katherine for each slain sister, to stand eternal vigil over the site of her sisters' martyrdom. By the time of Sepherina's pilgrimage, the bodies of the slain Battle Sisters had yet to be returned from Inquisitor Hoth, who was studying them to learn more about the Necrons' weaponry, much to the chagrin of their Order.

Now if we take that 8 for our origins

>Standing Force - "This area doesn't have sufficient spiritual guidance, found an order!"

A recently settled area out on the frontier perhaps? A new colony that the Echlesiarchy wanted to get it's hooks into? Maybe an order founded in hopes of minimizing the influence of a rogue trader group that operated in the area by spreading the word of the Emperor?

Too early to say, we need a d10 for flaw/quirk

Point, So are we going to go with Standing Force then? If no one objects, give me a d10 for flaw.

Rolled 2 (1d10)

I say we go with it.
Flaw it up.

2 is

>We Stand Alone - The Order is either distrusted for some reason or otherwise cloaks itself from prying eyes.

Anyone else wanna give it a roll, or should we move on to Order Demeanour ?

We Stand Alone - The Order is either distrusted for some reason or otherwise cloaks itself from prying eyes.

Now it gets interesting. We're mysterious and shit.

Alright, we're derivatives of the Order of our Martyred Lady, who were founded as a Standing force, and are all mysterious and shit.

Roll for Demeanour. 1d10.

Rolled 7 (1d10)

>Suffer Not the Alien to Live - The Xenos shall fall this day!

We really hate fucking Xenos. A lot.

d100 for the Figure of Legend our Order venerates as it's Saint.

We need 2 d100 next, one at a time

Rolled 36 (1d100)

So we're a bunch of xeno hating sisters who no one trusts left to guard a specific part of space...interesting story opportunities.

Rolled 16 (1d100)

Well our Saint was a Canoness Superior. Give me d100 to find out just what it was she did that was so special.

Or possibly the Founder of our order, and we'd need another roll to figure out what kind of warrior the Founder of our order was.

A cannons Superior and enemy of orks

While Orks always seem to come up, it makes sense for suffer not the alien

Maybe these sisters are a standing force in the area because they can never quite get rid of the ork presence. Gives them some reason to really hate the xenos. But we still don't know why these girls aren't trusted.

Alright, a Canoness Superior who was the Bane of Orks.

Give me a d100 for our homeworld type.

Rolled 85 (1d100)

I hope we get something crazy.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Almost make me think of the Crimson Fists.

Well you lucky son of a bitch, you just rolled Feral World.

We come from a Feral World, and we really hate ork

Yezzzz feral world

Alright, we are a standing force from a feral world who shroud ourselves in mystery and really hate xenos.

Roll me d100 for the predominate climate of our home world.

Rolled 57 (1d100)

I got my wish with a crazy feral world, now let's see if we can make it more inhospitable.

Ice/Arctic planet.

Well you got your wish.

Alright, so we are an order derived from the Order of our Martyred Lady founded as a standing force on a Feral Ice world, who shroud ourselves in mystery and really hate xenos. Our patron saint was a canonnes who was the bane of Orks.

Give me a d10 for our level of Influence over said homeworld.

Rolled 10 (1d10)

Yes

YESSSS

That is exactly what I hoped it would be.

>Undisputable - Your power is spread far and wide. The nominal governour of your home planet is firmly in your hands, and your reach can be felt far away from your home world.

We run this place.

Alright give me a d10 for the organization of the Order.

Rolled 3 (1d10)

Cmon divergent

Rolled 3 (1d10)

Amazing. A feral ice planet that these girls rule over in their never ending fight against the orks.

The dice gods have spoke , sadly they have said "standard"

Do not question the dice gods

Well we are double standard. Lets get a d10 for combat doctrine.

Rolled 8 (1d10)

So maybe it's just me, but this is making me think of the Sardaukar from dune.

Like this planet is a training ground. A preserve that the Order runs full of Amazon tribes and Feral orks (who are carefully culled in order to prevent them from advancing too far or getting too numerous), who the tribeswomen contend with on this feral icey hell scape, with the order picking out the best of the Amazons as recruits.

Have the system the planet is in, or the surrounding area, be menaced by outside ork threat that explains why they go to so much effort to maintain a steady supply of sisters who really hate orks and are used to fighting them since they have been for their whole lives.

Siege

I'm sure we can come up with something from that

...Siege? Our combat doctrine is to lay Siege to our enemies. hmmm, these last two rolls haven't quite jived like the rest have.

Give me a d10 for Order Divergence.

Well, I mean Danes would go and set the other guys longhouse on fire and then wait to kill them as they ran out the entrances. That could almost be a sort of siege tactic. Maybe they really like to surround their enemies and then burn them out. It would kind of make sense for Orks even. Circle them up and then drop promethium on them with bigg fracking cannons until there is nothing left but chared fungus and torch anything that tries to run.

Rolled 4 (1d10)

I like this. Maybe they wait for the Orks to get just organized enough to pose a potential threat, and then bomb the everliving fuck out of their bases.

Let's see what we got.

4. The Dice gods are good.

Beastial Companion: More common among those Order’s whose origins come from Feral Worlds, this Order prides itself on raising hunting animals to assist in battle. Examples: Fenrisian Wolf, Hunting Birds.

Give me a d10 for our method of worship, and let's hear some speculation about our animal companions.

Frozen Amazonian Ork Hunters.

I love it.

Except we don't get a deviation because we rolled standard

Oooooooh, I just thought of something that could be the Orders secret, since early on it said we shrouded ourselves in mystery.

They're all abhummans. A genetically engineered strain of humanity where the gender ratios were scewed to heavily favor females over males, and maybe the sexual dimorphism slightly altered as well. Basically a race of engineered warrior women, kinda like the loroi from outsider.

Ah, you're right. I got carried away rolling dice. Shame though, it was a perfect deviation.

My bad everyone. Lets roll a d10 for Method of Worship then.

Rolled 5 (1d10)

Honour those Gone before - "Look to your superiors for guidance, they shall not fail you"

Ancestor worship? Lots of saints? What do you all think?

d10 for order strength. Come on high number...

Rolled 3 (1d10)

Clearly their superiors are the ones who've proven themselves in these harsh, ork filled frozen wastelands. Of course they'd look towards their superiors for guidance. Plus they're descended from Our Martyred Lady.

It does make sense.

3. Shit, we're under strength. Guess our recruitment strategy is kind of daft. That or we've taken a lot of casualties fighting the never ending ork hordes.

d100 for our Orders allies.

Rolled 39 (1d100)

I'm feeling the latter. Orks just keep coming and the cold weather's not doing us any favors.

We're chummy with the Cogboys.

Give me d100 for enemies, or we could just skip it and grab Orks.

Rolled 100 (1d100)

I say we role it. Maybe we've got more enemies out there besides Orks, and that's what's caused the number of sisters to go down.

dat 100.

Other (choose one force or group, such as aliens (see below) or heretics or a specific cult)

So do we want some minor xenos, or maybe a cult on the Ice world that contends with the sisters, working in the shadows against the emperor and their control over the tribes? Looking to strange gods for the end of the ork threat.

Rolled 14 (1d100)

We should update the table, it's quite short compared to the others

rollin for minor xenos

Well if we want to use the minor xenos roll, we just got Hrud.

I don't know a lot about the Hrud besides them kinda being like space skaven. Drop some of that lore on us.

>Hrud
do you guys prefer swamp things or space skavens?

Alright Hrud lore incoming.

The Hrud are a nocturnal race of scavengers and parasites. The Hrud are known to be very mysterious, many know of them, and few know about them. Imperial mothers scare their kids by telling them that a Hrud will steal all of their left socks or something if they don't eat their soylent-paste. Hrud have a very strong connection to the warp, which manifests as the "ssaak", or see mist, an aura of darkness which surrounds the Hrud in question. Hrud can slip through narrow spaces with ease, and their ssaak have a chameleonic affect that lets them hide by surrounding themselves in shadow or pretending to be a torchiere lamp. Once, a captive Hrud was able to conceal itself in a fully lit, white-walled cell. This ability could be created by the Hrud warp connection, their chemical poisons, or biological light-tricks; nobody knows for sure. Hrud are also silicon-based, which is actually possible.

Being near the Hrud is a thoroughly unpleasant experience, as they have an entropic field which will age, decay, and pretty much wreck all nice things within the vicinity at an accelerated rate. Hrud can extrude a wide multitude of poisons from their bodies, and this eventually becomes a prevalent fog in the air of Hrud-infested areas. For humans who grow up in or near these places, these poisons will become adapted to, and eventually create a chemical dependency. Said humans will suffer withdrawal if deprived. If a Hrud is killed, its body will rapidly liquify

advanced and technologically backwards. While the average Hrud is covered in rags, and would rather hide in a dark corner than build a house, the Hrud race are fantastic at reverse-engineering and scavenging. Unlike the Orks, who can durr and hurr their way to a Plasma Cannon, Hrud actually know how things work. Due to the lack of ammunition and repair facilities, the Hrud usually end up wielding whatever weapon they stole fused with their own technology

So i'm thinking that some Hrud are stuck on this planet, or maybe they just pass through a lot. If the orks are the Enemies outside the gates, then the Hrud are the boogie men who come in the dark. Horrible monsters who come in the night and carry off children and much needed supplies and technology. Equally hated as the orks, but in a different way.

In between burning out orks the Order hunts for the Hrud's underground warrens and torches them whenever they can find them.

Hrud commonly live in underground cities called Juunlaks, made of tunnels, dirt, and dark. Juunlaks are found near centers of population in the host civilization, but never in very large numbers. Because the Hrud couldn't care less about what they leech on to, Juunlaks and/or Hrud infestations have been found on, but not limited to: Imperial Hive Worlds, Ork Worlds, Space Hulks, large Battleships of all races, the planet of Es'Tau, and Craftworld Saim'Hann. Eldrad was know to have eliminated the Hrud present on Saim'Hann, likely because he wanted to have the nice things on Saim'Hann that the Hrud would have made unhaveable. Due to the frequency of nomadic Hrud infestations on Imperial ships and Hrudite physiology, Imperial crews have given Hrud the hilarious and thoroughly Rogue Trader-esque nickname "Bendies." Most races consider them vermin (supreme), and use words like "infestation" to describe places where Hrud gather. They will try to exterminate them, but Hrud usually keep to themselves, and rarely, if ever, wage war on other races.

The Hrud believe that ancestry and family-ties are all-important, and they keep immaculate records on nearly everything. They are a tribal race, and shy away from contact with other Hrud tribes and empires. Conversely, single Hrud will flock together to form new tribes or join per-existing ones. Record-keeping is a huge part of Hrud society, to the point where Hrud records are more reliable than Imperial records, and more precise than those of the Eldar. Even Hrud legends and folklore and religion are, when not fully factual, referencing true events. This mass-memory is somewhat fractured, as different tribes maintain records about their branch of the Hrud species, and when tribes split, they take copies of the pertinent information and carry on from there. This is not a terrible problem, though, and the totality of the records make the history of the "Raheed", or "masstribe."

There was a relic/monastery/thing worth guarding on the planet, the order was sent to keep it, and became adapted to the poisons.
They are absolutely enraged about this but can't completely exterminate the Hrud population, less the sisters suffer the effects of withdrawal.

Reasonably grimdark IMO.

That works I suppose. Honestly I felt like we had a really coherent thing going here with the Orks and the feral ice world amazons. Throwing the Hrud into the mix kind of confuses things for me personally, but i'm sure we can figure something out.

>Sisters of Battle take up shop on a feral ice planet full of amazonian women, and use it as the ultimate training ground for their soldiers in a never ending war against the Orks.
>The Techpriests decide that this little corner of space is a lot nicer and more useful without orks around, so they start to give the Sisters a lot of good tech.
>This unfortunately attracts the Hrud, who sneak onto the planet and start taking out SoBs and stealing machines for themselves.
>This drives the Sisters crazy, since not only are they stuck on an ice planet sieging Ork strongholds that keep popping up no matter what they do, but now their friends are being killed off by spooky space ayy lmaos.
>Xeno hate intensifies.

I like it.

We should probably work on a name for these girls.

>loroi
Only if we keep the beards.

If we are not trusted our enemies should be shrouded in as much mystery as we are, something terrible has come from beyond the stars and they have mastery over the sorcery hidden in our very words. Even to know their name is to forever be bound to them by destiny. To live such a life is not easy and takes a terrible toll on our sacred sisterhood's minds and souls. So we secret ourselves away in in the Fortress of Mirrors and Memories clinging to the frozen rock spiralling round a dying star where we fight within and without to hold back beasts and monsters.

We are the Order of the Silent Song and we stand alone.

See that's pretty darn cool, but how does that tie in with the orks and the feral world and whatnot?

What do you think we should put onto the Table? We can give expanding it a go if everyone is up for it.

Another suggestion for the Ork problem.

What if this is basically their frozen equivalent of Gorkamorka?

This ice planet sucks a lot. Sure there's lots of big animals to hunt and fight but there's barely anyone worth firing da dakka at, and the orks are tired of those annoying humie ladies giving them trouble. They want to build rocket ships to escape the planet, and it's up to the Sisters to siege each of these rocket building bases that come up.

How the Orks keep finding the tech to do this is a mystery that intrigues the Hrud (and maybe even the tech priests), creating a three way war between the sisters, orks, and hrud.

It's like a duality thing, the obvious fight is the one against the Orks a brutish direct enemy who's infestation can be managed but gives no respite. Then you have the other outside force pray on minds and souls, I feel you can cover both the core themes of 40k survival and sanity this way.

To turn the siege roll around it could be their tactics are based around being under siege, they focus on defence and they re-enforce the sub-sector against intrusion and invasion. They are protectors first and foremost but also isolated and unwelcoming and cursed to never share for the sake of nobility and the harm they might do.

The feral world could work by layering it onto the mystery, there's demonstrably better better places to base yourself in the sector but they stay where they are to keep others from them and because there's probably some evil shit waiting under the ice. The feral worlders are important because they are needed to provide numbers but the order excerpt total control for any among them could be contaminated and thus only member of the sisterhood by travel on- or -off world.

Dats pretty bitching. Eldritch horrors under the Ice maybe? They secretly keep watch to make sure they don't escape the planet, while the abominations wisper in their minds and try to corrupt them and break them, with the orks as the outwardly obvious reason given to outsiders, who aren't allowed on the planet because then they would find out about the eldritch abominations. Say an inquisitor set it all up ages and ages ago and then died, leaving the sisters the only ones who know the truth that they hide.

I really really like that. You mind if i use it for my sisters? I might change the name a bit, but I actually really like the concept.

No need in adding stuff that doesn't add up well.

I would remplace the sizes by Order/Preceptory/Commandery/Mission, because afaik SoB orders are created small and don't cease to grow until they split again to form more orders.
Add a table for relics since they got to have some bones or gear they venerate.
Maybe add some primary saints that aren't SoBs (order minoris, priest, important figure of the Imperium,...)
Also how they express their beliefs in presence of others (Proselyte/Reserved/Judgmental/Humble, for example)

Those are some pretty good ideas I think. The reaction to other styles of imperial cult is a good idea I think. The thing about size makes a lot of sense too, and having some relics is a good idea.

Fire away son anything that manages to break out of it's own little thread is great.

How does the Order of the Silent Choir sound to you? I really like Silent, but song doesn't quite do it for me.

gimme a sec, I have a relic generator somewhere in my PC for Dark Heresy games.

Oh yeah that's better.

I imagined their fortress to be carved into a miserable frozen mountain top and run all the way though to the base, the top levels are where the sisters live and train. It's in all respects a normal SoB base but as you go lower the whole place is filled with twisting passageways and mind-bending traps. The symbols of devotion become rare and words and symbols that hurt the eyes are scrawled in patchwork fashion on the walls and floors. You hear whispers round bends but no one's there, the laughters of a childhood friend long gone and all if it is an insidious nectar poured in your ear that grows a primal fear inside us all, that of the unknown. It tells you to run and run down deep into the bowels of the mountain where the is no pain, no sound and no light where you my rest your head and sleep in peace.

Many of the Adepta Sororitas seem afflicted of some instability born of zeal, wrath or righteousness but the Silent Choir is alone in that every sign of weakness they even let slip for their web of obfuscation comes from some suffocating melancholy that permeates their ranks, their planet and even their prayer.

A little farther than I'll probably take it, but an interesting suggestion.

Now to figure out an Order Badge and maybe a banner for them. An order badge for the Silent Choir....

Would an image of sister doing, See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil, be too on the nose?

That could actually be a great banner I think. Yeah, I might use that as a banner. I was thinking something like this for the badge. What do you think?

(one quick translation later)

>Kind of Relic
Scripture
Weapon
Body
Emblem
Piece of Junk
Clothing/Armor

>Age of Relic
Pre Age of the Imperium
Age of Rebirth
Age of apostasy
Age of Redemption
The Waning
Times of Ending

>State of Relic
Supernaturally preserved
Extremelly well preserved
Decently Preserved
Worn out/Partial
Ruined
Unknown (hidden)

>Location
Extravagant reliquary
Humble reliquary
Displayed in the open
Stasis fielded
Worn
Locked in a vault

>Significance
None
Local
Sector
Segmentum
Adeptus
Whole Imperium/Galaxy

>Origin
Sisters of Battle
Non-militant Orders
Ecclesiarchy
Imperial Saint
Imperial Figure
Relevant to a Miracle

It's far from perfect, it was made to quickly generate loot for a heist.

That's actually pretty cool. I could see some or all of that being a series of optional tables.
Lets give it a go. Why don't we trim it down to 5 options for each and make it d10 rolls?

It's a little goofy but a lot of stuff is in 40k again it's a contrast I feel works. I wonder what the actual silent choir looks like, I wonder if they just play instruments.

>Scripture
>Pre Age of the Imperium
Oh yeah!

How about a C-clef?
Keeps the musical theme without being instantly recognizable, and can be converted into a fleur-de-lys with a simple rotation.

Rolled 1, 3, 6, 4, 2, 2 = 18 (6d6)

Let's roll.

Considering i actually am building sisters at the moment I'm open for suggestions on how to model them to reflect their feral world origins, their hatred of orks, and of course their dark secret.

At the moment my plan is bare heads for Battle sisters, Helmets for Dominions, and Hoods for Retributors, with Flaming brazier heads for the canoness's

It is a little goofy, but I kind of like it.

Not a bad idea, Let's mock something up for it and see what we all think.

concerning the banner, I was thinking something sort of like the one on the right, being a derivative of the banner on the right. Three sisters looking down, the top one covering her mouth, the bottom left her ears and the bottom right her eyes.

What do you do for stats? I play a cleric in the rpg and would love some shiny toys since the techpriest seems to get all the love

I think I'd really like the one on the right if it was cleaned up a bit and the symbol changed to

Well yeah the one on the right is just the concept. It'd need to be cleaned up and the hands changed to cover the eyes and ears and mouth and whatnot, but I think it could work. So you think something more like this would look better then?

Or something like this? I kinda like this one actually now that I look at it. Because it is reminiscent of the fleur-de-lys like you said, and has musical connotations, but the lines over the curved shape make me think of vaguely squid like things imprisoned underneath the surface. It's a trifecta of meaning.