GW's new setting direction

Now the warp dust has settled. Was GW in the right for rewriting and redefining their settings?

Was it necessary? Did it work?

> pic related.
> 'Miss me yet Veeky Forums fags?'

All indications point that it was for the best.

For 40k it works because its not changing anything fundamentally, its still is 1 minute to midnight, Chaos is still coming but nothing is dying, Terra wont burn and the Emperor is still Not!Dying. Its the same setting with new strands from where to build up new stories without needing to retread the same things again.

Fantasy suffered more because it changed it completely and suffers from the same thing Blizzard games do, its inability to build stories that matter in a place where everything is too big and epic for the audience to care about anything.

Since he's allegedly the reason AOS sucks quite as much dick as it does, no. No I do not.

And no, they're both terrible shitty ideas.

this thread isn't going to turn to shit within the first half hour, now is it?

Ward wrote fantasy 8th ED and End Times fluff.

I think 40k mixed in just enough new to make things interesting without tossing out too much. I'm not a big fan of the use of Rouboute for everything specifically, but I do like the new galaxy.

AoS I'm a lot more lukewarm on because they discarded so much and have done a real poor job of realizing the realms so far. Overlords were a good concrete step, but almost everything else still seems too vague and metaphorical.

Cadia is dead. The premise that we should forget the power of technology is shot out of the water with Cawl basically saving the Imperium by innovating and creating new technologies such as the Primaris and their weaponry and the Imperial Pylons.

I'm the reverse. I'm cool with Roboute being back, but Primaris Marines make no sense. Should've just been a new armor mark + guns, no fuckey manlet lore needed.

AoS didn't go far enough in being different from everything else out there. The OP pic suggests a crazy Spelljammer like setting, but in practice it comes out generic. For instance Stormcast being dudes in armour is far less exciting than the Soul made out of Lightning 'driving' a Golem/Construct they seemed at first. There's potential there to make it less generic, but they need to put some effort into it.

They are going there though.

>What is "Dead Cat's Bounce"
>What is "being on the Brink of failure for the past 20 years"
>What is "setting the bar so low that acting semi-sensibly with models is a drastic enough change to obscure Lore shittery"
I'm not saying they haven't improved, just that they haven't improved in the Writing department.

Whats its P/E?

I stopped caring about wh40k altogether after the gathering storm, even sold most of my 40k minis.
Though I'm still into 30k.
Just posted market pic to show that someone seems to like the new shit they churn out.

P/E Ratio 17.29
Debt-to-Equity Ratio 0.04

They are making more money. This means that fanbase is content and is buying happily.

>Was GW in the right for rewriting and redefining their settings?
I imagine that depends entirely on whether or not you like the new stuff.

>Was it necessary?
No

>Did it work?
I personally find AoS revolting, but 40k has given me no reason to panic -yet-. But it's entirely possible this whole Guilliman-Great Rift business is garbage but Black Library and Ward has made me so numb to dumpster fires that it just seems alright by comparison.

>No

WHFB was killing GW. It was selling less than paints. PAINTS!

Agreed, Cawl is pretty stupid.
Cadia dying is sad, but I can see potential for the IG to become less bland than it is right now.

I'm a bigger 40k player than Fantasy so I was mostly thinking 40k when I answered no there. And honestly, I don't even mind AoS all that much so long as Fantasy keeps getting Vidya love.

this means nothing, if aos sold the same or less as whfb did but 40k had a massive drop it would also result in those numbers

>Don't release new models for most armies for 15+ years
>Keep making the rules more obtuse and games longer every edition
>Keep making the size of armies increase to the point of absurdity where a starter army can easily cost $500 driving away new blood.

It was everyone elses fault!

the fuck you even talking about? every army was up to date before it ended apart from skaven and bretts.

"updated"

Still using the orcs and wolf riders I got for my 9th birthday in 2001 faggot.

But your right, the new steam tank and reichsguard do look goooooood huh.

>cadia is dead.

Its not though. Its broken and cut off from the imperium but the guard on the planet are still there locked down in their trenches. The chaos faggots literally gave up taking the entire thing because its too much trouble.

fuck off shitnigger, the game was as complete as it deserved.

I think you missed the part Where Abby threw a hissyfit after getting stabbed and just started chucking prices of a destroyed Blackstone fortress at it to blow it up.

I wont miss the atrocious kiddie-friendly buy-us-hasbro artstyle and hilariously shit writing that AoS is made up of and I do consider it better that GW keep their hands off it.

Wasn't my fucking point though you obtuse half educated monkey. My point was they didn't update the overwhelming majority of models in my decade and a half playing GW games and they made it nearly impossible to pick up for new players. They drove off their fans.

And if they're willing to kill off a game older than most of their employees that pretty much was the bedrock of their company how long till age of smeg goes the way of firestorm armada and they sell the company.

Enjoy your new minis, picrel.

No. Cadia was broken in half and was dragged into the Eye.

The IG are fighting in the other worlds in the Cadian system.

No, that was the plan all along. He just came to the surface for one last fight before he destroyed Cadia.

No opinion on AOS, I don't play it - I miss the Warhammer Fantasy world, but there is nothing to stop me still playing Blood Bowl.

I think the change to Warhammer 40,000 was a very good and exciting move. I'm of the opinion primaris marines are a bit artless in that they're clearly meant to be update to the SM range that will eventually be retconned (ie: all space marines will become primaris), but I could be wrong and we'll always have the divide between normal and primaris.

The changes to the wider universe though are super exciting, everything is much more in question now, with it feeling that what you do actually could have an effect (rather than the eternal imperium always absorbing losses, we have reserves etc).

I've been playing mainly Imperial Guard for 15 years, with the same homebrew regiment; right now my men, after all that mud and blood, can march into battle alongside the Emperor's son in campaigns that won't just hold a line in this corner of this planet, but a line that protects the entire edifice of human superiority. It's pretty exciting.

> its inability to build stories that matter

This is not a problem of the setting. It's the problem of the writers and the company. I've read enough Warhammer Fantasy stories to know that there is an eternity of material in that setting.

>I address one of the topics while ignoring the other ones

The rules were fucking trash in how much they favored hordes of guys.

For whatever reason, nobody at GW was going to clean up Warhammer Fantasy so they decided to nuke the whole thing.

You gotta rename that picture "Stormguard Eternal"

In the right to do what?

Write their own story how they like even if neckbeards whined like cunts?

It's the age old question of who owns the art? The creator or the buyer? The same debate with Star Wars and the enhanced editions.
Obviously, legally, the creators can do whatever the fuck he wants with his creation, but that didn't stop the debate with Star Wars, and it won't stop it with Fantasy.

Well it gets even uglier unless GW has one guy who has done all the lore from start to finish.

Wait a damn minute.

Is that a fucking Dyson ring?

These type of threads never work. It always attracts the die hards that felt betrayed by GW and so vehemently shit on anything and everything they have done before and after the changes.

They did alot of shit wrong, they could have done alot of shit better. Some stuff is cool, some stuff is shit. However you feel i wouldnt get too attached to anything as we have seen that it can and will change on a whim. Do what you do, collect, paint whatever. If they change it so much that you hate it, don't keep doing it, their not going to change it back no matter how much noise you make. Put your energy towards another game or setting, or keep the old one alive without being a spiteful cunt about it. We know they fucked you over and alot of us sympathize but nothing can be done about it now.

8E map is literally the same 40k map as it's always been, but with a giant coffee spill across the middle of it, that supposedly affects the galaxy in drastic ways but we haven't actually seen any differences, so what's the problem? 40k literally hasn't changed except for Primaris and Guilliman.

>No, that was the plan all along. He just came to the surface for one last fight before he destroyed Cadia.

>"I totally planned to lose my irreplaceable superweapon, get humiliated in front of ordinary humans, boost the position of the gods I'm trying to usurp, then spend the next century fruitlessly grinding my heels in the exact same system I started in."

Lol, whatever you say armless.