Can I target my opponent?

Can I target my opponent?

Neckbeards don't count as humans silly

Your opponent isn't a creature so no.

Your opponent is a player, not a creature. Also, "destroying" a player has no context in the MtG rules. You can only win by reducing a player to 0 life at the end of a phase, or by winning the game, or by giving your opponent 10 or more poison counters. "Destroying" your opponent is a non-existent concept.

...fuck I just typed all that out in response to bait.

But card text takes precedence over rulebook rules... so the opponent really should be destroyed.

You forgot making them unable to draw a card during their draw step.

This reminds me of being a Judge in yugioh and having to explain to people why MST doesn't negate.

Interestingly enough, Maro pushed to get Door to Nothingness to read "Destroy target player", but they weren't able to finagle the rules to support that. He thought it would way cooler but ultimately the rules headache was too much to deal with. It's a real shame because being able to destroy a player would have been really cool.

You can't destroy me since I have a platinum angel in play.

Damn it, I knew there was one I was missing.

I actually lost that way. A few years ago (damn, like 7 now actually) we all went to visit my grand-dad and we were bored so my dad and bro and I did a 3-way free-for-all game. We were all playing green, and my dad had a green/white control deck with meekstone, maze of ith, all sorts of old broken cards. I also had a well-wisher in my tribal elf deck. Everyone had at least a few elves on the table: my dad had llanowars for mana ramping, my brother had his own semi-elf tribal deck. So I had a good 400 life midway through the game. Problem was we just couldn't breach each other's defenses and eventually my brother's broke down and he died. I had my dad down to 8 life when I ran out of cards. he still had 10 left cause he built to 70 not 60 for some reason. So yeah, I lost a game of MTG with about 200 life to my name. That game lasted a good 4 hours, too, longest game of Magic I've played by a factor of 4 at least.

It does not say destroy target opponent. It says destroy target Human creature. Your opponent is a player in game terms, not a human creature. Note that you play as a planeswalker and this card would not work on any of the human planeswalkers such as Chandra either.

Also... am I right in thinking that Loyalty counters actually are loyalty? As in Chandra is not really "dying" when she runs out of them, she is just not loyal to you anymore so she is not helping you? Probably to avert the weird dual-think of PWs existing in MtG lore yet dying in thousands of games all over the world every day? Does MtG lore ever account for PWs suddenly running off to help others' random duels? Would be kind of dumb but it's funny to think about.

>Interestingly enough, Maro pushed to get Door to Nothingness to read "Destroy target player", but they weren't able to finagle the rules to support that.
Sauce? Also love that card, it's trash but I've always wanted to make a deck that could support it. Probably lots of rupture spires and birds of paradise.

But the opponent is a human, and a human is an animal/creature in the english language...

Losing is a state based effect, so if you're ever at 0 you lose. End of phase doesn't matter.

It just says you can't lose, not that you can't be destroyed. Like indestructible creatures can be hit with 'destroy' effects, but it doesn't do anything to them

Yeah, but they aren't creatures in game terms. You can't use Murder to kill your opponent's pet cat, either.

Your opponent is not a human within the bounds of the Magic the Gathering rules. In MtG you effectively are a planeswalker which is not a human entity. A better argument would be Hero's End working on your opponent but that still doesn't work because in MtG your opponent, human or not, is still "the player."

it's a creature in the Catholic dogma

MtG does not operate within the framework of the Catholic dogma

What if I play instant life gain in response to an action, though? I thought that that worked.

That would be appropriate though, since you can't murder an animal.

inb4 "door to very much nothingness at all" in unstable that does destroy target player plus some odd condition to activate it quicker

We are all God's creatures, my friend.

Which god though?

>rupture spire

noob detected

Odin

Nope. State based actions are checked and you lose. Can't respond.

I think

At no point would you actually be at zero or less life.

iIRC, this hasn't always been the case that you lose based on state based actions being checked, it has been as steps have ended in the ancient past.

... And some other TCG have worked that way. (VS system ... I think)

offer your opponent a hot girl
He kiss her
He lose the game.

I lost the game

You opponent is a planeswalker, silly. Try Hero's Downfall instead.

I don't know many better mana mixer cards.

>mana mixer cards
Adorable. Remember these words young one.

Mana Confluence, Exotic Orchard, Command Tower (if EDH)

City of Brass
Springleaf Drum
Prophetic Prism
Manamorphose

S I G N E T S
I
G
N
E
T
S

Let's just say your opponent has to go to the graveyard but otherwise plays as normal.

Literally any land that has a chance of coming into play untapped. Rupture Spire and its ilk take the downside of land and the downside of mana rocks and put them together. It's hot garbage and they're always the first thing I rip out of pre-constructed decks and into the trash.

>mana mixer
u wot

You can, however, assassinate an animal, but you can't use Assassinate on your opponent's pets. Partly because they really, really shouldn't be tapped.

Try Ramos

>mana mixer cards

Don't be silly.
Hero's Downfall won't work because your opponent is clearly the villain, not a hero.

well this is only a 3 card, 11+5 mana combo across 2 turns and requires all 5 colors

golems are not