Board Game General /bgg/ - Keeping a promise edition

Last thread:
Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/aWmbgN7K

Last thread we talked about acquisition disorder and why we buy, but what got you started in the hobby /bgg/? Who introduced you to gaming: a relative, teacher, friend, significant other, stab-happy STEEV? What was your first time sitting down to a modern board game like, and what'd you play? Did it suck you in right away or did it take a while to grow on you?

Other urls found in this thread:

zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What got me into modern board games? Tabletop
>Who introduced you to board games?
Well, my deadbeat uncle got me the 60th Anniversary edition of Monopoly, and that was the first time I had to wrap my head around anything more complicated than "roll a 6 to start"
>first modern game
Munchkin. Bear in mind, this was before Munchkin was the unstoppable normiehemoth that it is today. I later played Monopoly Deal and Red Dragon Inn, which I still have a fair bit of love for. It was just something that I could play if my RPG group couldn't all make it, but it was kind of a revelation to know that board games didn't have to take an hour and a half trying to get all the green properties or invade fucking Australia

Alright, it's finally fucking here.

Just in time for Harvey to douse the area.

Thankfully there seems to be an area of my driveway that stays pretty dry. Box is still a tad damp though, spot that's touching the ground is even a bit moist.

I swear to god Harvey if you fucked this up for me I'm going to personally come down there and

Oh hey, everything's fine. Oh happy day.

Is that all the punched sheets of dials from your X-wing I see there in the corner?

Those are indeed x-wing measuring sticks, I'm reorganizing that stuff and have yet to find a good place/way to store them. But the stacks of punched board are from warhammer diskwars that I picked up on a sale recently.

is there any deck building game that scales great and well to 8 players(not just being able to)?

Nigga, just split into two groups.

Gotcha, that would've been my second guess; FFG punch sheets just have that very distinct look to them.

>advance search: mechanic deck/pool building player count 2-8
>tinyurl com/y7devema
Short answer: no

>uses monopoly
>doesn't into map
>this map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
>so user won't complain about the complaining without the link
>in any case I don't know whether to love you or hate you however I did promise...

2/12

3/12

4/12

5/12

6/12

Putting the map into one OP did not instantly make it a thing, just like how 4-6 people in a discord channel didn't make it a thing. If people actually use it over time that might change, but all I promised was to use the Monopoly image once.

7/12

Who hyped for Dark Souls megabosses and Darkroot stuff?

8/12

>Putting the map into one OP did not instantly make it a thing

try once and if it's not an instant success give up?

#millenialthings

9/12

10/12

>I did a thing it must instantly be recognized
Goddamn kids GET OFF MY LAWN

Seriously I want to murder everyone who assumes I'm one of those Gen Y fags just because I'm on an imageboard

I tried Bärenpark. What did I think?

11/12

12/12

As far as I'm aware, no Deckbuilder can even handle eight. Five is usually the upper limit, some can take six but wind up as a free for all.

Like says, just split into four and four, or three and five. You don't all have to play the exact same game.

How much money does a boardgame designer make a year?

>what got you started
Twitch speedrunners playing social deduction games together on TTS

>first time
4+ hours of ONUW and our first and only game of Munchkin. The ONUW part was pretty great and I've been trying to get people together at every opportunity ever since.

Most who aren't big name designers have other jobs, so not a whole lot. If you wanted to make a career out of it you'd need to either sell some very popular designs or be Knizia and sell 300 a year to publishers

maybe it's because you don't recognize
1. the map wasn't mine
2. some people are interested in the map
3. the map isn't hurting you
4. it will never "become a thing" unless there is wider exposure
5. there is no valid reason to not include it in the OP apart from some personal butthurt against the map that you and perhaps others happen to have
6. it's absolutely not compulsory if you're scared of irl interactions or being d0xx3d
7. it's proven successful in other dailies on Veeky Forums, although don't ever eat the brownies

so yeah, if you're not millenial trash maybe you could respond with what your actual butthurt over including the map for the benefit of those who want it (I'm guessing the approximate number of pins?) vs. the outspoken opponents (1 to maybe 3 people?) and the supposedly 50 some other active bggers who are not aware or have not weighed in.

and I'm probably older than you, kid

stupid question because the answer varies so much. but i guess good for you for putting words together, try out paperback for a game about that exact concept : )

a real boardgame designer just wants to see xirs' game come to life

that or
>kickstarter excess divided by partners

Are you planning to have a PhD in boardgame design or merely a Masters?

Hm, thanks.
Already doing that.
Designing takes time and I need to eat. So it would be pretty rad if I could feed myself by designing games.

>So it would be pretty rad if I could feed myself by designing games

short answer, you can't

long answer, you specifically never will

You hated it, because Koalas aren't bears.

>D6s on Robinson Crusoe

>Anime girl not popping up out of a pile of chits that are burying her

>OBOARDO

I appreciate the effort user, and hope you take my shitposting as constructive criticism

Harsh but pretty accurate

Leacock had jobs at Yahoo and AOL during the dotcom boom and didn't leave his day job til 2014. Six years after Pandemic, and after he'd also put out the Forbidden games, a couple expansions, Roll TtA: Bronze Age, and was into development on Pandemic Legacy.

Knizia left his job to do full time design in like '97, but he was a banker and made serious money so independently wealthy helped. Richard Garfield was looking for someone to publish Robo Rally and no one wanted to because "it seemed expensive" so he had to come up with a small game for Wizards to make some money on and he designed MtG in a week. Rosenberg designed Bohnanza while in grad school, published a bunch of play by mail games as well, and got lucky then lived on a shoe-string budget while founding Lookout and trying to sell other euros. Hell Petersen built FFG on TI by driving to cons, setting up outside (because he didn't have money to rent a booth space) and demo'ing/selling it pissing off organizers but doing whatever he could til he was able to publish other games.

You have to get incredibly lucky with an amazing design, have some hefty money laying around, or wait a long ass time while working a day job to make it as a designer.

so, how long did it take to get to you overall?
I'm considering to participate in the next kickstarter campaign.

>what got you started in the hobby /bgg/?
I'm a huge fan of doom. Been playing it for as long as I've had a PC (1995) and still playing it almost every week (and modding it too) so when I saw an ad for the doom board game I HAD TO HAVE IT (even if it was based on fucking doom 3)
>Who introduced you to gaming: a relative, teacher, friend, significant other, stab-happy STEEV?
Well, myself I guess. playing the doom board game was an eye opening experience. The game also came with ads for Arkham Horror, which I believe was my second purchase.
>What was your first time sitting down to a modern board game like, and what'd you play?
Still doom, well, it was kind of a mess. Fucking FFG rulebooks, man. But I still had tons of fun.
>Did it suck you in right away or did it take a while to grow on you?
I had to try a few more games... I think the tipping point was betrayal at house on the hill. I loved that one so much, and so did my friends.
Another tipping point was when I tried euros for the first time, they seemed incredibly boring but I thought "eh, I'll get that stone age game and give it a shot" I still like ameritrash way more, but euros are alright !

you missed one

Kickstarter closed in October 2015.
Estimate delivery was October 2016.
Artwork and proofing were some of the causes for delays.
I would assume the next kickstarter would be more on time since they already have a full print run under their belt.

Is Warhammer 40K Conquest worth getting, knowing it's dead? I like 40K, I played the CCG back when it was a thing. And I see online that there are fan expansions being made, but how is Conquest's gameplay itself?

Assume I'm playing with brainlets whose only card game exposure has been Theros and on Magic, and a few games of Big Book of Madness.

I'm hyped to sell them and make more money.

The classic looking for something that wasn't monopoly.

>Who introduced you to gaming?
My father who always cheated at everything all the time and still does to this day, I mean talk about embarrassing shit at meetup. Nobody said anything but he cannot help himself I guess.

>What was your first time sitting down / what'd you play?
Rail Baron, about half a game. That had to be 2002 and between then and about nine months ago I played about three games: dominion once, ticket to ride once, and 3x catan about half. I was underwhelmed by each and it wasn't until I gave up perpetually chasing a decent RPG experience that I fell into a euro/modern board game meetup right as it started. Now it's weekly and bgg is my methadone in between.

look into Spheres of Influence, problem is that shipping is only limited to US so you might need to look into postal forwarding services

>introduced to gaming
I started board gaming as a kid, so family. still have my copy of HeroQuest from when I was a kid in its well-worn condition
>first time with modern board games
either Zombicide Season 2 with my friend who now runs a LGS or 5P/6P Catan with another group of friends back in 2014, the Catan experience was terrible but Zombicide had intrigued me enough, despite how horribly broken it was

sup /doom/bro, how's the modding going? been working on anything lately? I've been lazy with following the threads but I need to get back into the swing of things

What got me collecting boardgames was kinda the graduating of college for all my friends. I wanted an excuse to bring everyone together and keep us meeting the same way we used to for videogames, but videogames just had no good local multiplayer.
>Who introduced you to gaming: a relative, teacher, friend, significant other, stab-happy STEEV?
My brother introduced us to Cosmic Encounter on 2008 and it was a huge hit with our group. It and Arkham Horror we're all I owned for a while.
>What was your first time sitting down to a modern board game like, and what'd you play?
Zombies! Way back in Jr high, my brother had this game and we played it one vacation day in the cabin with family. Never played it since so I can't say how it holds up but was fun for the time, especially coming off of Hasbro shit and actually playing a game with my dad.
Age 12: Zombies at the cabin
Age 18: Cosmic Encounter and Arkham Horror
Age 24: I decided to build a collection. I'm 26 now.

News on Star Wars Rebellion expack?

Looking for an opinion on a co-op game to pick up. My wife and I have a number of two player competitive games but we're looking for something new we can play together and not be at each others throats.

Trying to decide between Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Pandemic: Cthulhu, and Sentinels of the Multiverse. We haven't played vanilla Pandemic, but we're fans of Arkham/Eldritch Horror. Sentinels looks fun for the super hero theme.

I'd take any other suggestions as well that's just the few I was looking at at my FLGS

A Friend
It was great, we played Star Wars Risk: Original Trilogy, followed by Runebound: Second Edition.
Hooked me from the get-go, and I've added those two games to my collection to have a laugh every so often (they are terribly balanced, but still fun to play)

Kinda depends what exactly appeals to you; if you want theme more than anything else, there's co-ops for that. If you're the kind of person who wants a puzzle that is solvable, it exists (conversely if you want random so the puzzle is different every time, it exists too). I always tell people to figure out exactly what theme appeals the most, and then from there look for the mechanic implementation of said theme.

C'thulu is your thing? Get the LCG if you're into card play, MoM/EH if you like a story more than mechanics, and Elder Sign if you just wanna chuck dice.

Want to be a superhero? Sentinels is fine, but so is Legendary, and hell even DC Deckbuilder is good despite being Cryptozoic. The new TMNT game is supposed to be really solid.

>buy more shit! Now featuring shit from that movie you vaguely remember! Don't worry about the price, board games are a luxury and you should want to pay for our "premium" products. Have fun with Asmodee's™ FFG's™ Disney's™ Star Wars:™ Rebellion™ Rise of the Empire™

Is Eric Lang the Todd Howard of boardgames?

100%

>What got you started in the hobby?
Playing a friends copy of Zombicide.

My parents who used to play upwords over drinks some evening. We had all the usual bullshit games, but Scotland Yard stands out as being pretty decent.

Zombicide, and we quite enjoyed it. We've moved onto bigger and better things since.

We were all pretty happy to start playing boardgames when not everyone could make it to RPG night. Our initial enthusiasm is still strong, but I think our tastes have refined over time.

What game is that?

Eric Lang is the primary name attached to Chaos in the Old World, a good game.
No good game has Todd Howard attached in any important role.

>Rail Baron
My Negro

Great Western Trail

The above reply was for (you). I apologize profusely.

I'm going to be visiting my dad for a couple weeks. His wife likes to play games with us when she can, but mostly more casual stuff. As a group, we've played Munchkin, and mostly a variant of Farkle.

But I remember as a kid playing Wooden Ships and Iron Men with my dad. I could probably be more interested in it nowadays, but it was first made in the '70's. Is there any more modern version of this? Preferably with little models instead of just cardboard bits.

Thanks mang.

>CitOW, a good game
when will this meme die?

Holy Shiz user - I haven't heard anyone mention Wooden Ships & Iron Men in decades. I don't have any replacement game recommendations, but you might try the war games general, or asking on BGG.

>went looking for the PnP of One Deck Dungeon since a couple anons keep talking about it
>find Flowerfall for $3.75 no shipping costs instead
I know it's the dumbest "dexterity" game ever, but that's too good to turn down. Gotta say I'm impressed Asmadi is clearancing out their own stuff like that but it's a solid move by an indie publisher that they'd rather sell the last few copies of old games than just let them rot.

Two player Hex based relatively simple but engaging war game? Memoir 44

It's not ships though. Still it might be a good modern game to recapture that feel without actually going back to wooden ships itself.

Played Bang at a cousin's house which got me aware that board games existed, and then happened to find a new copy of Catan and Dominion at goodwill for $10.
I ended up playing Catan overnight for more than 6 hours, and then a month later bought my first order from CSI.

>Flowerfall
got to be better than Lotus, ugh

'Boardgame designer' is not a day job.

I dunno user, you hold a card up at eye level while standing over a table, and drop it. How the cards land and cover each other up showing flowers/grass/etc is how you score. It's not exactly a skill game, and there's really no strategy there, but it's fun to play with kids and drunks. Funny how often those groups line up.

Nice man. What was your first order?

Pretty sure it's a specialty classification under NEET though.

Battlestar Galactica, Shadow Hunters, and Cosmic Encounter, ordered on 1/24/15.
I've never actually gotten around to playing BSG.

what is the cosmic encounter expansion like?

>the
It has like seven.
Incursion, Conflict, and Dominion are good, because they have the reward deck, the hazard deck, and expansion to both, respectively (Dominion is an expansion expansion). The other three are garbage, don't get them.

BSG is great if you know people who either know the show or are willing to learn the background info enough to get what the mechanics mean. i have many friends who have seen zero episodes of BSG but love the board game to death. dont give up on it, its awesome.

They mostly add new aliens. Incursion I think adds the rewards deck and a new player. Both of those are really handy but it doesn't have the best aliens, still the most essential expansion. The first 3 all add players up to a max of 8. Only the rewards deck and the alliance dials from the newest one are all that good of modules as far as possible bonus rules, everything else in there is just more and more aliens, which are all generally pretty good.

>more aliens, which are all generally pretty good
The alien quality decreases as the expacs go on and spike at Dominion. Don't know about Eons.

Last thread was up on my phone and somebody said you could get chupacabra dice for $7-15 but they're $20 on Steve Jackson games. Can anybody point me to a better place, clearance or something? Similar mindless dice chuckers welcome as substitutes.

>have a Millennium Blades order with mini expacs from Miniature Market that's been on hold since May 22nd because Lvl99 can't get their distribution shit sorted out
the pain is suffering

Nah man. Looooooots of the first 3 are terrible in terms of quality control. The kinda powers that only happen maybe once per game, that can almost see argued as giving you no benefit at all, that just plain are no fun. Later ones, especially eons, might be a bit convoluted but at least they're designed to actually benefit you.

I post regularly in doom generals, I'm the guy who's doing a remake of the old Zombies TC and the guy who's going to introduce chex quest modding to the activities at the day camp I work for.

Maybe try the board game geek market

>The kinda powers that only happen maybe once per game, that can almost see argued as giving you no benefit at all, that just plain are no fun.

You know we must have played with expansions because that's exactly how I felt about most of the aliens at the table.

$14.99 on CSI, $16 on amazon atm, I've seen it on ebay a lot over the years at $5-10. $8 at Cardhaus right now but their shipping isn't cheap IIRC. Looks like the price is high right now, it's one that varies in price as people unload copies, best bet is to wait for Black Friday or watch ebay on that one; especially if you can get a Haywire edition, seriously that box is nice.

Also always use the best tools to search
>boardgameprices.com

>Game calls itself asymmetric with unique player powers
>Player powers are one time use per game and are something tiny like reroll one die or draw one extra card
>Game is over an hour long

Why would you even have them then?

I'm just talking in general, but I absolutely hate it when games do this.

You hate games that take over an hour to play? If so, how short is your attention span?

>play for over an hour
>one tiny little special action you can use once which consumes 30 seconds of game time

I think that was his point.

What is the non-hype opinion of Terraforming Mars these days?

I think he's saying that he hates when a game advertises that it has different characters/units/armies/whatever to play as but the differences are minor one off powers that don't change much other than an extra draw or die roll. I could see a game like that being really boring if everyone burns their abilities in the first 15 minutes and then it drags on for another hour after that

snagged a haywire 19.99 free ship on ebay, new

it's for my kids right, so that's a deal right?

For the Haywire version, yeah that's fine it MSRP'd at $25, and the year it was released they had a $5 off coupon any con they were at (plus they gave away small cloth bags of 1 set of dice to hook you) so you're getting it for what it's worth. I'm personally keeping an eye out for a tube set during he holiday shopping season so I can expand my copy from 5p to 11, or just let everyone have more dice, but I'm also a sucker for well done custom engraved dice.

I see now, my mistake

>What got you started in the hobby /bgg/?
I actually bounced off the hobby several times over the years before it stuck.
My dad was an amateur chess tournament player who did fairly well in his youth, so a lot of my childhood was spent on that and Go, but I never developed more than a rudimentary talent at them. Mostly just got pissed that my dad would help my younger brothers beat me whenever it looked like I was stomping them a little too hard.

Got introduced to A&A and hex and chit games, most notably PanzerBlitz, by some of my friends as a youth, and they were fun - I was pretty hardcore into tank autism as a kid - but I felt like they were a little dry and without a lot of personality. Ran into Catan tournaments a lot at some of the early big LAN parties I'd attend, but that didn't stand much chance of holding my attention against things like UT99 and BF:1942 Desert Combat tourneys, but it did seed the idea of mixing in non-digital games at LAN events for a change of pace, and I started working traditional social games like Mafia/Wereworlf into the monthly LAN's I'd host.

Wanting those to be better led to me starting to pay attention to the boardgame scene for new games/ideas, and that led to me noticing the then-new Twilight Imperium, third edition. That was pretty much the event horizon.
There were a few other breif trists in there, I liked Munchkin for about a month, I was pretty into a weird simultaneous move dudes-on-a-map called Power (1981) for a while, and somewhere I still have a copy of that ridiculous Star Trek VHS game, Klingon Encounter.

That's kinda a trait of early alien design in general. If there's one thing I gravitate towards most after all these years, it's looking towards, it's aliens who can use their powers on several phases and I try to avoid offense only. That's one thing they generally improved on as the expansions came rolling out.

>tank autism
GMT released pic related last year, TIME TO RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS STEEV