/d30g/ d30 general

What can I use a d30 for? Who makes the best d30s? What is the best color? How many do I need?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F6iEaZjui2Y
youtube.com/watch?v=FBjUboXfW5c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sage. A thread died for this.

A useless die for useless people. A lot like the d20 actually.

Hang on to that D30, if you combine it with a D3 you could make most of a D100.

This guy I'm subsribed to talks about the D24, hopefully this helps make your thread less shit OP.
youtube.com/watch?v=F6iEaZjui2Y

youtube.com/watch?v=FBjUboXfW5c

>being mean to the d30

It never did no harm.

It's awkward. Like a d20, it has a flat distribution, just with a 50% greater range of possible results. Further, each result is not a clean % of overall possibilities (3.33% just isn't as nice to work with as 5%). In most cases, the 50% greater granularity offered by a d30 over d20 isn't going to make much of a difference; if you wanted a larger range with a flat distribution, just go all-in and use d100.

So it's clumsy, almost no one has one, it has the same issues as d20, and is inferior to alternatives.

> What can I use a d30 for?
Did it come with a d28 and d31? If so, you can generate random day of month. Otherwise its useless and you have to throw it away.

DCC makes use of d5, d7, d14, d16, d24, d30

To my knowledge it's the only fairly mainstream system to make regular use of Zocchi dice

>much of a difference; if you wanted a larger range with a flat distribution, just go all-in and use d100.

Or you could just roll a d20 5 times :^)

>flat distribution

If you really want to emulate a d100 with a d20, you could roll a d20 and a d6, rerolling 6s, but why bother?

I bought some d30s on a whim and play a lot of d20 systems. So now my group has a houserule where certain situations (usually spending a 'fate point' or some similar) allow you to roll a d30 instead of a d20.
It's incredibly stupid, but it's fun

I've had this one for 25 years... never used it, except for demonstration purposes or goofing off.

I have a couple and I roll them when I DM d20 systems at some specific moments, such as when the players fucked up badly, but still have some chance. The roll is always in the open too.

>dark angels
>chrome
>alienware
>d30
>very bad photo
Beautiful

Skype, too.

The only use I ever saw for it was in Palladium games, using it for Attribute checks as their stats ranged from 3-30ish. So it was a good enough stand-in for that. Otherwise it was the die we used to throw at people who were stupid along with our golf-ball like d100 that nobody could read the face side on.

The only use for the D30 is the one you make for it.
We make Random tables for D30s.

Think of "what kind of mutation does this unknown potion do" kind of thing.

I really want d5, d7, d14, and d16, for another damage progression in d&d.

>I don't know what a d30 is for nor do I know why I want it but I absolutely need the best one

I hate the d20. Success always ends up being "roll high" even though rolling in the middle should usually be good enough. Instead of enjoying making skill checks, I try to actively avoid them. I want your actual skill to have more sway over success than the die. A d30 would be even worse.

>How many do I need?
Zero.

Get a d10 and a d6.

(d6/3)-1 is the tens place (1-2 is 0, 3-4 is 1, 5-6 is 2)
d10 is the ones place.

A d20 is fine.

The problem is that you're not competent until you have a +15, unless you can take advantage of take 10, in which case a +10 is generally sufficient.

Not him, but the perfectly-flat distribution is really problematic on a single d20+modifier. It makes it harder to represent probabilities under 5% or between 95-100%, and you get the most extreme possible outcomes (i.e. nat 1 or nat 20) about 10% of the time.

That is one of the reasons why diepool and percentile systems have gained prominence. Even dnd devs have noticed the issue and created 'roll-again' mechanics (advantage/disadvantage/etc) to help compensate for the flatness of 1d20.

Like Ribbon, it never served any purpose and nobody cares about it yet still it keeps being made for some reason

>It makes it harder to represent probabilities under 5% or between 95-100%

You don't need to do that.

They've got uses if you're willing to give them a chance and you like to have fun and be creative.

>not d20
>Veeky Forums overwhelmingly approves

It helps to have some gradient between 'you didn't quite make it' and 'the GM thinks up a humiliating way for you to fail'.

When the worst possible outcome happens on 5% of all rolls, that makes it a lot less special once the novelty wears off. It would be like if guns jammed and exploded on average 1.5 times per magazine. I want my botches rare enough to mean something, become appropriately less frequent with increasing competence, and to be meaningfully different from regular failures. Diepool systems provide that.

dice that are more spherical are more subjected to bias via weight imbalances