EDH/Commander General

"Manly Melee Men" edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Horrible place with primers, access at your own risk.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
What kind of deck do you MOST like to see across the table from you?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-08-17-ybI-goon-squad/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-08-17-bu-zombies/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hi-inalla-mays-here-with-lots-a-dudes/
deckstats.net/decks/91953/796525-uncle-karl-life-steal?saved=1&lng=en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ALL OF THE MANA!

So lets say I have unwinding clock, some mana rocks and sundial of the infinite, can I just end my opponents turns?

>Sundial of the Infinite
RTFC.

no, because it specifies that you can only use sundial on your turn

>End the turn. Activate this ability only during your turn.

Stupid question time.

With atraxa and other similar abilities add to experience counters?
And if so, would there be any merit in making a fun goodstuff type deck using all of the 2015 commanders except r/w?

Yes you totally could if sundial didnt say activate this ability only on your turn

Reanimator decks, because I play reanimator decks and it's always fun interacting with other peoples' graves.

>Question
Any blue deck that I know doesn't run counters.

Yes, you can Proliferate yourself to add experience/energy counters. Keep in mind that this will also add infect counters, and that with Atraxa you can run Blaxos, Ezuri, and Meren, but you probably shouldn't run Blaxos.

Yes, she adds to them. Also works with Poison counters.
I personally tossed Meren and Ezrui into my build just for that.

I have a German Mana Flare called Manasegen.
It's pretty neat.

Hey there friends can I get another set of eyes on this work-in-progress for what to add/cut

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-08-17-ybI-goon-squad/

Game plan is to make playing creatures and combat absolutely fucking miserable for my Timmy meta

Decks with early action because it means they won't whine like a toddler when I attack them before turn 10.

reposting my shitty blog from last thread:

I was playing the other night and had a Notion Thief in play. I cast Villainous Wealth on an opponent and got a Teferi's Puzzle Box out of it. Then everyone got mad at ME for accidentally assembling a soft lock. One of them unironically used the term "spirit of EDH".

The people who play at my local store are the worst types of casual players. I just want to find a group that doesn't throw a temper tantrum every time something happens that isn't a big creature turning sideways.

Did you think that sundial of the infinite stopped your opponent from having a turn in 2-player games?

I asked this in the previous thread, but i'm in a dilemma.

I'm new to magic, not just to commander, but to it in general. So, i'm looking for a commander precon that will help me understand the game, for me to not get bored of it playing it and for me to upgrade it.

The closet game store to me has the 2013 commander decks on sale, 2016 precons are priced regularly and the 2017 tribals are up there in price. The deck that's not in stock is Breed Leathality with Atraxa.

I'm not sure which one to get.

Thanks for the help.

>Keep in mind that this will also add infect counters

No. You get to pick individually for each type of counter whether or not to add one.

Best partner pairing for the most options? For example, you wouldnt run akiri/silas unless you were doing artifacts, and outside of artifacts they wouldnt give you many options.

Isochron scepter+final fortune+sundial of the infinite = Nobody else ever gets a turn

Breya or Yidris are probably the most fun and easiest to upgrade. Also if you can get them for MSRP that is a pretty good deal.

You can use Vial Smasher with anything because his effect is so good.

I did Vial Smasher + Kraum for a while. Kraum is surprisingly strong. 4/4 with haste and evasion for 5 that will draw you cards.

I wanted to do the reverse but this does work too, I just wanna bully my friends

Scarab God user from before.

I've gotten it to 111 cards. Need to cut 11. I need advice.

Right now I have the four following conceptual wincons:
>Phyrexian Reclamation/Gray Merchant of Asphodel/Phyrexian Altar or Ashnod's Altar
Play Gray Merchant some number of times until opponents are dead.
>Exquisute Blood/Sanguine Bond
Do any form of damage and kill opponents.
>Triskelion/Mikaeus, the Unhallowed/Any Altar
Infinite damage, infinite mill, infinite mana, etc. depending on what altar is used.
>Scarab God/Stax
Stall the game with Stax while I wait for Scarab God's ability to kill opponents. Use Scarab God's scry to scry for answers.

This is the best I could come up with, thanks for the advice last thread. This is my first time building an EDH deck alone.

Just play endrek sahr and tutor assault suit and equip him, nobody ever wins a game again

I'm an idiot who forgot a link to my deck list.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/27-08-17-bu-zombies/

Out of the 12 I have I randomly picked two numbers and got reyhan and kydele. This is either going to be the coolest rampy counters deck or more likely absolute fucking garbage.

vial and kraum sounds fun too, and I love the colors, especially with so many high cost new spells in hour of devastation.

So is Teferi's protection mandatory in white? I feel like I have to buy the deck just to get it.

Just buy the single?

The single is approaching the price of the precon.

It's strong, but fortunately monowhite is so bad that you don't have to bother

its 20 right now, you can get 2 for about the same cost as the precon

Ok, first things first. There are many ways to play mtg, as you could probably see by the commanders, they all do different kinds of things. I personally think that the C16 decks were all pretty good. Saskia and the gaymen have pretty fixed gameplays, so I wouldn't really recommend unless you like their mechanics. Yidris is fun, but it may be too random and sometimes frustrating(I may be biased since I am not a lucky person).

I think Breya would be a better option because she does a lot of different things herself, so you won't do the same stuff every time. And artifacts not only is the second card type with the most support(second only to creatures), but you can always fit in(since 99% of the artifacts are colorless), and every set there are new artifacts to play with.Also, Breya deck comes with useful artificer cuties

>Entropic Uprising $96, Top Card - Chromatic Lantern $11
>Stalwart Unity $86, Top Card - Forbidden Orchard $5
>Open Hostility $85, Top Card - Ravos, Soultender $7
>Invent Superiority $80, Top Card - Breya, Etherium Shaper $8
>Mind Seize $66, Top Card - True-Name Nemesis $28
>Power Hungry $55, Top Card - Primal Vigor $15
>Eternal Bargain $53, Top Card - Toxic Deluge $7
>Nature of the Beast $47, Top Card - Avenger of Zendikar $5
>Evasive Maneuvers $46, Top Card - $5 Thousand-Year Elixir

Not only is Yidris the most valuable overall, it has the best Top Card in terms of usability. Any deck with 3 or more colors will be happy to have a Chromatic Lantern. The second best card in the deck, Vial Smasher, is herself nearly $11 too. Add to that, Entropic Uprising is a fairly powerful deck out of the box, and it comes across as a clear winner.

Stalwart Unity is deceptively pricey. It has a high density of cards that are $1 or $2 but lacks any real big number value cards.

I want it for my Sunforger package.

>his

Vial Smasher is a girl goblin. Hard to tell, I know.

I'd cut: never//return, negate, empty the pits and essence scatter for starters. Mainly because this cards aren't that great and you seem to have more than enough counters/token producers/ removal already.

>his
I want this meme to die.

I don't like the 4 color ones to start. The mana base isn't good and it's hard to upgrade, and 4 colors to choose cards from is quite overwhelming

2013's precons are built like shit and 2014's mono color limits you too much
I'd pick a 2 color one from 2015 or this year's tribals. Cats and Vamps are preety noob friendly and Dragons, while being 5 color, are Timmy's wet dream and have a preety cohesive theme to work with.

I started playing Magic with 2015 Ezuri's deck and it was quite easy to upgrade and get strong cards for those colors. I loved when I went from being a non-factor in my games to actually winning in semi-competitive tables from upgrading it

I didn't know this was a meme. I just don't give a shit about lore and rarely look closely at art. Sorry I triggered you

>I'd pick a 2 color one from 2015
That wasn't one of the options.

Probably the only reason they still have 2013 ones to sell is because they were garbage.

That seems resonable.

Strongest are Thrasios in multiplayer and Vial-Smasher in 1v1

Most versatile are Tymna and Kydele. Tymna is consistent as fuck and has access to the best support colors and Kydele can ramp like a madlass.

I would recommend either Yidris or Breya, as they are cool and interesting build around commanders with good cards included in their precons. As a disclaimer I have not played with either of these commanders, but based on what they do they could both be informative for a new player. Breya has a lot more complexity built into herself, and will let you gain experience with more intricate decision making surrounding her ability and how to best generate value with your artifacts. Yidris has less complex decision making, but will allow you greater freedom in what you put into the deck and lets you play a lot of cards each game.

What if you dont have tymna? I didnt get the saskia precon.

Reposting my Wizards list from last thread because why not with a few adjustments mostly based on that feedback.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hi-inalla-mays-here-with-lots-a-dudes/

I'm way too tempted to put in Xenograft, Conspiracy and the new Ixalan version of them once it drops and replace all but the best Wizards in the deck with generally busted Grixis ETB effects.

I'd cut a few lands. I usually settle at about 34-35 lands depending on how many mana rocks I run.

That sounds gay as fuck

Notion Thief is a bullshit card

>play one of the most casual and fun cards in all of Sultai's colors
>get called out as an ass because another player intended to fuck with everyone's deck plans
Wow your store sucks.

Then you buy her. She's like 5$. She's not that great but she's so fucking consistent that she's part of the best 2 decks for parters, together with Thrasios and Tana

>decides to take a look at the decklists
>Breya comes with Daretti, Skullclamp, and Solemn Simulacrum
>Yidris comes with Reforge the Soul, Wheel of Fate, and Chromatic Lantern, not to mention that Yidris and its partner commanders are decent
Man I really forgot how bad the C17 decks are.

There is another point to add for the C16 decks, they are the only commander decks with the Partner Commanders(You can use 2 commanders instead of 1, if both of them have the partner ability), it is pretty weird in a fun way to play with that.

Maybe they should be mad at the guy running Teferi's Puzzle Box if they're going to be so casual.

If buying her was an option I would have just said thanks ill pick her up. I wont be able to buy her for a few weeks.Long story short I live in bumfuck nowhere, my job is a small company that doesnt do direct deposit, so i have cash and no bank card, and we dont have an lgs near me.

Figure out how Paypal Credit works.

I would love some feedback on my uncle karl deck, not sure If I put enough mana in there

Looks fine to me, great deck.

>paypal
>cash is my only option
>bumfuck nowhere
I swear its like some people don't know what rural is.

fuck forgot link
deckstats.net/decks/91953/796525-uncle-karl-life-steal?saved=1&lng=en

Looks great

>friends agree to all brew something up in secret
>make Animar Morph tribal
>game night
>Karlov, Teysa, Ayli
It was fun making at least...

The very next game, a separate 3rd person won a game after Puzzle Box came out by dropping this dude.

When I got my Notion Thief lock, one of the dudes has a Rout in his hand and had enough mana out to respond to the Box trigger by Routing away the Thief but he just didn't know he could respond to it like that. These players are retarded

I like both W and B, but for some reason none of the WB commanders interest me at all. It's a shame.

Ive blown almost 200 bucks building an oloro deck and i had no idea they had him in a precon

well played sirs

How? And either way, the Oloro precon isn't all that good anyway. I guarantee whatever you brewed is better than that deck.

i just started playing magic a month ago

>>Exquisute Blood/Sanguine Bond
>Do any form of damage and kill opponents.
This deck isn't enchantress or lifegain. You waste a tutor finding the other half and you get yourself spot removed because everyone and their dog knows the combo, and it has to make it around the table at least twice. Each half has zero interaction with your commander, so why are you running this?

Ah, that explains both the lack of precon knowledge and the choice of commander then.

>tfw every commander that interests me has w/b in its mana cost

I already build little teysa with all the removal I could find, next is granddaddy markov and after that maybe sharuum. I can only afford so many vampiric/demonic tutors help.

is oloro noob bait? i like regenration stuff in other games

Oloro will just get you hated out.

Because most EDH players refuse to add enough interaction into their decks to deal with combo decks then go on to complain about combos. You would be surprised how often you can blatantly assemble a combo that everyone knows about in most playgroups.

IDK man, if you really wanna play her just build the deck and proxy her in the meanwhile.
If your playgroup doesn't let you proxy a $5 card they're probably faggots anyways

Now see, I can do something like Esper, but straight Orzhov doesn't work for me.

Oloro is massive noob bait. He generally never gets cast and gets built as pillowfort, which is a lot less secure than you may think. He gets hated on hard for passively getting you value and is pretty boring to play as well.

It's not noob bait. If you're not playing competitively, it's powerful to gain life every turn for no investment. The problem is that anyone with a brain will just attack you constantly to keep your life total in check.

Its not that I really want to play her man, I was asking what would the person recommend outside of her.

>I already build little teysa with all the removal I could find
The best way to play Teysa is with Grave Pact effects. Besides those all you need is a couple board wipes, a couple non-creature permanent removal spells (Return to Dust, Vindicate, Utter End, etc). She acts as creature removal for when you need it, so there's really no reason to run very much removal.
It doesn't win the game for you on the spot though, and if your shit meta DOES happen to have proper interaction, you're just left with a do-nothing enchantment. Take advantage of the commander, stick to creature based combo.

Sounds like you have the Yidris precon
Thrasios+Vial smasher is preety fucking strong anyways, and you can run Simic goodstuff with Kydele instead of Vial, even though I prefer Rashmi for that kind of deck.

The Yidris precon had the strongest commanders and the best value. Yidris is a value machine that eventually wins from casting free stuff so he isn't bad at all. If you play ultra competitive he's tier 1 as far as I know too.

Choose something from this mang, look the decks up

How does this does compared to Skullclamp? Seems like they serve kind of the same purpouse

I'm building a Mirri weenies nowm, which lacks draw, and I wanted to hear opinions on this card

how well does this guy fair as a commander?

Clamp is pretty much "pay 1 attach this equipment to a 1/1 token so it dies and you draw 2 cards" I would play clamp over this

+ draws cards from creatures that have toughness >1
+ creature doesn't die
+ draws you a card even if the creature gets countered
+ scry 1 every turn
- 3 mana
- green identity
- can only draw on cast
- only draws 1 per mana invested
- doesn't work on tokens
- creature doesn't die

I have all of them except for saskia. Im not sure if you saw my first post but im looking for partners that dont pigeonhole you into a certain style of gameplay, for example if i paired akiri with silas, it'd be stupid not to run artifacts. Does that make sense? Im a bit drunk.

pls

Ok. Depends on the build. Works well with Eldrazi Displacer

One rule: Do not forget the return trigger or Obzedat will be stuck in exile

I don't think that forgetting it stops it from happening. The exile trigger says "may" but the return doesn't, so it happens unless another card effect says that it doesn't.

Yep. You're correct.

>not running this guy

This card just makes me thinking how awesome a pokedex actually is.

Skullclamp is definitely better but you can put both in.

post combos

process for this?

Totally fresh to EDH, alot of friends are recommending to just buy a premade EDH deck and build from there, and doing some research alot of people say many of the premades are pretty decent, at least for the level someone like me will be playing on.

Right now Im thinking either Feline Ferocity or Vampiric Bloodlust, both are readily available in nearby big stores like Walmart and TRU, are there any others to keep a lookout for?

Immortal coil+fractured identity+relic of progenetis

All aboard the jank train to janktown

>artifacts in grave
>cast scrap mastery
>sac lotus bloom for RRR
>tap salvaging station returning lotus bloom
>sac lotus bloom for 3 more mana
>sac a myr token for 2
>myr token dying triggers salvaging station, untap
>tap salvaging station to return lotus bloom
>sac lotus bloom
>repeat until all myrs are gone
>activate codex shredder, returning scrap mastery to hand
>sac salvaging station+ironworks for mana
>cast scrap mastery
>repeat
and then at a certain point you can mill everyone out and cast every card out of your grave an infinite amount of times