Malifaux General

Faction Stat Card Almanac:
mega.nz/#F!a8QBgCaD!mMN8jvLMuNKHA5G3nJ0FSg

>Books
Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - New models
Book 5 - New models & Master upgrades

Through the Breach 2E - Core Rulebook

Discord voice chat for malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

You let it die edition

Other urls found in this thread:

pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Dreamer Crew List
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Old thread

Impossible, OP isn't a faggot who fucked up the thread name/ title

Holy, how they fucked up Storm so badly with resculpt? I like Snow's pose, even if the face is a mess.

I miss Gremlin General.

Sensei Yu beatsticky at all? I want to get started on 10 thunders and I want to convert him with a spare space marine head to turn him into Geese.

Which one is which? I loved painting the yeti but the girl's practically a pile of trash. Her robes are funky, her face is practically non-existent, it's all so low quality on her.

The yeti looks like a generic demon man without blue paint. I think the girl was a weak point on the old model too, but for different reason.

SenseI Yu is mostly about pushing guys around and handing out focus. He has a decent attack, but he's not really a primary beatstick.

Sensei Yu doesn't even have a charge. In melee he is OK, and Brutal Sensei is pretty nice though, as it is at least 1 extra damage. You can run him with Misaki so you can use Stalk and get positives along with the ability to follow your target around. With McCabe he can of course be deadly with the Glowing Saber, and being able to hand it out to another model after he is done with it is super handy.

I like the old Storm a bit more, just because the antlers and the swirls on his arms make him look more like a wendigo. The new one isn't bad though, especially when painted right. The grey one in that pic just isn't flattering.

You can run him with the High River upgrade for some flaming kicks, or just wait it out for the Lotus Eaters.

Can someone post the fluff for the Tanuki?

>Wokou Raider has 8 charge
Holy shit thats surprisingly large. Shame its coordinated raid doesn't let you declare triggers though, I'd actually use it sometimes to try and finish off enemy models using the desolation engine, rusty alyce or some other abomination spawner. As is it feels more like a seven stone model lacking in synergy. Fuck you cant even give it focus with i pay better and it desperately relies on hitting at least a mod.

Which models do you wish could be hired out of faction by a specific master?
I'd love to see hoffman get coppelius back or perdita be able to do something tuco related. I kinda feel like Sun Quiang could have been an academic, but i guess there might have been some broken combo with sandeep.

That's a very good point. I am not sure if the trigger for another model to get an extra attack really makes them worth the rocks.

Snow Storm are cutiepatooties

They are generally tanky. 8 wounds, WP 6 to protect from casty shenanigans, anti cheat vs claw and bullet proof vs shoots. + flips on a 6 base attack at a 10 inch threat and get a scheme marker trick 0 all at once? fuck yeah! Then the problems appear. Its ranged attack is almost never really worth using, besides coordinated raid its triggers aren't all that good and it has min 2 damage on an attack that doesn't even ignore armor or hard to wound. These things of course could be easily rectified if it had synergy, but instead of useful synergy it has last blossom (you can teleport it around a little? its already charge 8) and bandit. Mercenary would mean it could get focus and interact with the viktorias, freikorps would mean it could get a ram and armor from the new engineer, get htk from schill etc. As it is its hard to fit into a crew not because its bad, but because it doesn't have real synergies and all the other models of equal strength get synergies in addition to that strength.

I'm just seeing it now, I really want Snowstorm as I just started Raspy, but holy fuck the sculpt for snow is fucking awful. Maybe I should just find alternate models..

I saw a thing of models at the LGS for this gane the other day. Most of the models look like bland steampunk, but there were some really neat fleshmonster things. How does the game play, and how cheap woukd an army built around the abominations be?

Total buy in can be done for >$100.

If you're after "flesh monsters" check out McMourning or Leviticus.

I'm liking Leveticus. I'll be at my LGS tomorrow for Warhammer - I'll check the name of the thing I really liked.

The game plays with 8 or so models per side, each players have a shared objective and 2 secret objectives, chosen from a pool of 5.

The goal is to score points by achieving your objectives and fighting for the main one, some objectives involve killing other models, some require you to have models in a certain part of the board, some require to have your models drop markers in certain positions. The game is only about murdering the other crew 50% of the time.

The games uses a deck of playing cards instead of dice. You get 6 cards in your hand at the start of the turn that you can use to "cheat", meaning replace a card you have flipped off the top of your deck when attempting an action.

Any questions? ask away mate.

Leviticus works by skulking around the board and murdering a model each turn. If he dies he can posess one of the hollow waifs (the girls following him around) and literally have her body morph in to his own.

When he or his crew kills something, they can get turn in to abominations. The abominations can then combine in to an even bigger abomination.

Levi can also hire almost any construct or undead model in the game, so you can tool him to achieve any scheme int he game.

That sounds like a fun playstyle. Is it expensive?

How could I get people nearby interested in the game? Also, these are the models that I found.

Those models are from the levi set. I'm not sure exactly what models he needs to function, as I've only faced him, not played him, but his crew box + a desolation engine would be a good place to start if you want to go abomination heavy.

The game is pretty popular, look for the group "A Wyrd Place" on Facebook, it's the biggest Malifaux group and you should be able to ask for nearby players there.

Already having the Misaki starter box, TT archers, and Yamaziko, what else would be a decent investment towards a Misaki crew? I'm new to the game, proper, and mostly picked up the boxes due to having a massive soft spot for Chinese and Japanese-styled minis. I must admit, the Oni's Wrath set looks inviting, too, but I want to avoid piling up a bunch of minis before I see how I like the actual gameplay.

Just had my first game in a while with a friend.

The game ended 1-0.

It made me realize how bad we are at Malifaux.

Or SO GOOD that you denied each other.

Old Storm/wendigo/beast is a lot better, but the old Snow/woman is terrible.

>I am not sure if the trigger for another model to get an extra attack really makes them worth the rocks.
I don't think they are supposed to be killers as much as offensive support.
As says they are fairly tough, but rather than being teleported, because it is so fast and decently survivable, it's a decent place to drop Shadows-ing models from - get Jorogumo, Misaki or another Raider dropped straight into the middle of the enemy crew (or backfield).

Wokou Raiders!

Can you do a micro-batrep?
Just lists and schemes and "I pushed up, he held back" type shit?

I usually have veery low-scoring games too, I'd be interested to see how yours played out.

Jorugumo are good with both misaki and onis wrath. Oiran can be good but some people hate them. Ama no zako can give you a big scary sidefield runner or you could get the shadow emissary to help support your crew, it gives misaki extra ap if she kills stuff. The shadow effigy is a single model that helps you do schemes and protects misaki.

Levi has a cool gimmick where he can hire any undead or any construct (but not all of both at once) because of this he is usually going to want a large pool of models. Ultimately though levi is probably fine with the levi box, ashes and dust, maybe desolation engine and then whatever looks cool to you. Flesh constructs maybe.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into those.

Papa loco, how do you use him? I like to have him give positive damage to montresor with his ranged 1/4/7 spread and to heal him with nurses, then cleanse the paralyxe so he can blow up again.

Has anyone found a pdf of book 5 yet?

The Bros are always worth a pick up in 10T.
I actually think the Oiran are pretty good if you use them as interference/spoilers rather than the Lure-bots people seem to think they are.

I don't think it gets released until a few weeks after the hard copy, and I doubt it's owrth anyone's time to trash their book scanning it for the ungrateful masses.

How to deal with yasunori with guild?

Block charge lanes, facetank with something expendable, counterpunch.
Same as everyone else.
His killpower is just so silly that it's almost the only way.

If youc an channel that charge onto a high-armour, high-Wd target, all the better.

I think that Oiran are decent choices if you use them with Smoke & Shadows (It's only a 1ss upgrade!) You are right about their lure being overrated. They aren't resser models after all. But with the ability to generally block off parts of the board to ruin plans while being cheaper than other last blossoms, they are tons of fun.

Shit son, it's the 8" charge with a trigger to stop them targeting Showgirls that's sick.
Between that and Disguised, they're decent even outside Last Blossom crews.

So tell me folks, is My little Helperbroken bullshit or not?

I've heard varying opinions from the podcastosphere, and in my own limited experience against it it has been either pretty cool and useful or a total ball-breaker, but I am too small a sample size, and my scene too low-skill, to make a judgement on.

>You let it die edition
Riiiise!

MLH is good, resser had fuck all good general upgrades for a while, whilst Arcanists had imbued energires, TT had Recalled training etc. It's no more broken than any of those imo.

The impression that I had is that the extra (0) has the potential to be absolutely huge with certain models, especially since there are a few that are balanced around only getting to use them once per turn.
Carrion Emmisary adn Shards, for example, is a lot of board-blocking bullshit, and Archie double-leaping can be big.
No doubt there are many more.

I agree though, RT and IE set the bar pretty fucking high for 1ss upgrades.
They are disposable though.

the double (0) action + card draw can only be used once, it more or less is disposable.

This. Same with Debt to the Guild for that matter.

Definitely not. It was play errors on my end.

I'll pay one when I get a chance.

Show of Force concerns.
Not that it's such a problem.

Does anyone have pics of Tat's translucent crew?

I want to see if it does look good.
The grey just seems an uninspiring colour to do it in, compared to the spooky greens and flame red/orange etc.

Select all the bridges.
That's a railing, Captcha.
You'll never be SkyNet like that, you idiot computer.

Can't you just use a glaze or transparent paint like Tamiya's if you don't like the transparent white color?

It's very grey, not white, without strong lightin.

Or at least the set a friend got was.

... Having checked, it's either, but the grey is the one I don't see the appeal of.

Fug. 4 Chan ate my batrep.

The super short version is:
I played McMourning he played Viks.
We got Reconnoiter, but it turned into a big scrum in the center.
He failed to score power ritual and breakthrough.
I failed on bodyguard and frame for murder, Rafkin died the nurse lived.
We called it in turn 4, when he was down to a single Ronin. I scored 1 point for Reconnoiter. It would have been 2 or even three if kept going.

We got the standard and sure stuff a bit mixed up, and we won't weren't coming a corner in your deployment.

>sure stuff
Story stuff

I'm interested in getting into the game, but have a question- The Dreamer supposedly works with Nightmares, but I haven't seen a list of what is or isn't a nightmare- thematically I was hoping Teddies would be but I've seen nothing that indicates they are, though I have seen them mentioned as a good option for Dreamer anyway. What outside his starter crew would be worth looking at?

pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Dreamer Crew List

Sounds like you both got caught in the "get distract by pummeling you opponent models" trap. No reason there should be a scrum in the middle in reconnoiter.

Teddies are in fact Nightmares as they have the Nightmare characteristic. Check the start card almanac in the OP. The Dreamer is often run as a summoner, so filling out his summon list is a good idea. You should look at a doppleganger as well as it can help you by copying actions and letting you cheat the initiative. You can also try grabbing Mr. Tannen, as he can potentially help the Dreamer's summoning, allowing you to potentially summon Teddies. While she can't be summoned the Widow Weaver is a very handy nightmare that can make Teddies and Wicked Dolls out of scrap markers, along with generally providing support.

Did GG18 change the summoning punishment? I've heard some chatter but can't see the difference.

>pullmyfinger.wikispaces.com/Dreamer Crew List
That's a good thing to know, thank you. So they ARE nightmares, but specifically for him. If I was planning to use them, would Kade be worthwhile, or is the Dreamer's own shenanigans enough to keep them moving around?

So, I've been looking to get into Malifaux, since there's a few players over at my FLGS.
thing is where do I really start? is there something I need, or can I just buy the minis I want and go from there?

The Dreamer should be more than enough for the Teddies. Keep in mind that the list is not entirely up to date, as Night Terrors aren't nightmares anymore, and the Bandersnatch is a nightmare.

How are Guild Masters looking nowadays, especially after their new upgrades?

>transparent paint
what is this?

It uses standard measuring tape, but you will need a deck of playing cards. You can always just get a Bicycle deck, or you can pay $10+ for one of the nice plastic decks that Wyrd makes. You should also get some markers. 30mm and 50mm circles of a few colors (Bases work) should do. After that you can buy whatever minis interest you.

It's a line of paints that Tamiya sells in pots and spray cans. They also have transparent primer (Clearcoat I believe) that is good for transparent models or any colored plastic really. Glazing medium can give you transparent paint as well, but apparently it handle a bit differently.

I would say that Hoffman and Lady Justice got buffs that they deserved, and I would say that the faction is rather well rounded at this point. McMorning got Test Subjects which is super cool, and will make playing him in Guild better. It varies for other masters, and range from slight buffs like McCabe's to funky alternate playstyles like Lucius's.

The first iteration of the beta made any summoned models prob for the remainder of the game. The current iteration has it rolled back to just making summoned models not count for Ours, the new tables quarters strat.

Yeah. I sort of got distracted trying to take out his sniper. We played the graveyard as severe terrain, and then we flipped corner deployment and forced me to deploy my whole crew there, and I didn't want my whole crew picked apart as I tried to slog out.

Failing the strategy wasn't a huge problem honestly. The 6 points I could have scored on schemes, if I'd played things better was worse.

>models prob
Peons, that is

>to funky alternate playstyles like Lucius's
What's lucius do now?

thank you user!

Interesting. Would you say Hoffman or J's listbuilding was shaken up at all, or was it just their relative power that improved?

How's Sonnia? Her Totem summoning seems interesting, but it was a never-take before so I'm not sure if there's much incentive to summon it.

It's relative power really. Lady J is as melee beatsticky as she should be, and Hoffman is no longer entirely gimped, nor is he entirely immune to armor ignoring.

Free models are always good.

Hoffman's hiring options are opened up some with the ability to turn models into constructs.

And I would say The Jury and DM Recruiters from wave 4 should see alot of play with Lady J.

It does make me want to run, The Judge, jury and executioner in each list.

Wouldn't you need to sacrifice the Malifaux Child to use it? If you are the sort to use the Purifying Flame though, then it would of course always be good. I like how Brewmaster got a similar upgrade as well.

I don't know. I don't play Sonia

Yes, the Malifaux Child dies if you bring him and then summon the Purifying Flame.

I know that part, I meant to say, I don't know what the Child does in the list, and whether the purifying flame is worth it.

The Child is there mainly to place more flame pillars on the field. It is pretty handy for blocking off more parts of the board, and is probably Sonnia's most popular totem.

What is Veeky Forums's take on the Ashwood Box upgrade that Lady J got? Is running her as an agressive burier going to be a good deal if you can get hits in on buried models? I am pretty happy with Swordfighter at least.

Lady J is a beater, being able to hit buried models will mean she can make short work of just about anything that has been buried.

>Fug. 4 Chan ate my batrep.
There are few things more frustrating.
Thanks for the summary though.
I like the table - good mix of terrain and zones of open/densely obstructed sight lines.

One of the things that was pointed out to me recently is that you define the table AND deployment zones during the first stage of setting up the game, so one of you probably should have called bullshit on a deployment zone that would have totally fucked one player and played along the other axis.

>summoned models do not count for Ours, but do for all other schemes and strats
Better, but still totally inelegant.

You can pretty much pick any crew box (or two, ideally in teh same faction) and have models that will last you for the first couple (or six, with two boxes) months of gaming before you learn all their tricks.

>funky alternate playstyles like Lucius's.
>What's lucius do now?
Also interested - picked him up but never got around to actually playing him.

What's the Purifyng Flame do?
I've seen the Child-Pillar spam list, andit's obnoxious as fuck and I don't like it.
Anything that encourages people not to do that is a win.

>One of the things that was pointed out to me recently is that you define the table AND deployment zones during the first stage of setting up the game, so one of you probably should have called bullshit on a deployment zone that would have totally fucked one player and played along the other axis.
Good to know. We're both pretty new players.

>Also interested - picked him up but never got around to actually playing him.
Same. I grabbed his old metal box, because I liked the sculpt.

Deep Pockets (1ss): Limited. Grants Arcane Reservoir and at the start of Lucius' activation you can discard a card to draw a card. If the discarded card was higher you can discard the card you just drew to draw a new card.

Condescending (1ss): If the opponent has less VP Lucius may discard an enemy scheme marker when he activates. When Devil's Deal kills a friendly model add a soulstone to the cache. Lucius gains a 1AP attack that gives the target a condition that keeps them from cheating fate until the end of the turn.

Wellllllll shit son, that's a pretty tastypair of upgrades reet thar.
Deep Pockets in particular is crazy good - That's cheaper than Arcanist Arcane Reservoir AND gives you card draw.

Neat. I was under the impression they created an entirely different play style though, from

She doesn't hit the buried models with her normal attack with the upgrade. Her normal attacks still have the same restrictions.

>What's the Purifyng Flame do?
Not very much. It and the Scales of Justice are among the rarely taken totems in the game. Sonnia really doesn't need the extra burning it gives.

Deep Pockets is 2SS, so same as Arcane Res, but still better

I think Scales will see more play with Swordfighter. That 2 card discard for plus flips makes the scale's card draw more useful

A new model in a few months will come out called serena bowman who can turn any neverborn into nightmare. Insidious madness, teddy and widow weaver are the main nightmares outside the dreamer box.

That's a pretty good point actually. Now that Lady J does more of the heaving lifting for the crew it's not like spending the stones for it will make you lose out.

Hey guys, another interested player here. I really like the look of pic related and it looks like the box is pretty commonly found for about $30, how much more would I need to get in order to have a respectable force?

I already play 40k and Warmahordes and have 4 different armies for each, and I'm also a /k/ommando. I'm not hurting for cash, but I realllly don't wanna wind up sinking hundreds more into another hobby.

Can someone give me a rundown of how a normal game looks? I understand it's more about doing your own thing, preventing the other guy from doing his, and if you happen to need to fight then alright but it's not really a combat focused game. I don't know anyone who plays either, so I'm gonna be seeking out a new group. If anybody wants to dump a bunch of other information on me, like how each army plays and other factions I might be interested in (call me an edgy hipster faggot but I like the creepy/bizarre thing) have at it.

Thanks in advance.

Teams are typically 8-10 models; but some masters and models can summon additional models, so they require more of an investment. Typically; a crew box and a couple other boxes are enough to get you into the game.

Some people don't want to fight, but some people do. I always make it a point to be fighting my opponent because that's what I find to be fun; but if you completely ignore objectives and just fight then you'll most likely never win a game. Playstyles are often more defined by the master you choose than the faction, in my opinion. But that might be because I play Arcanist and almost all their masters are quite different from each other.

A normal game is about 8 models a side. That said if you run a summoner you will want more, and having more for flexibility is nice. You generally start the game by having your guys move up to strategic positions based on the objectives, and getting them to try and score points while baiting your opponent into various things. Objectives are hidden from each other, so there is some initial guesswork until points start being scored. You really can win the game even if all of your dudes are killed by the end, as long as you scored points, as objectives can often be as simple as standing in one place or having your guys place markers in a certain area. You aren't going to have a lot of games where every part of the board is played on, as models generally concentrate on one area based on objectives. Exceptions would be guys that you want to move to your opponent's side of the table to score, but don't expect to be hopping up buildings or worry too much about going fast over more subtle moves. Your master will often be near and supporting your other dudes, but it can really vary depending on which one you run.

You generally have to pick and choose fights. While some crews focus on destroying the enemy crew, you generally have some dedicated hard hitters ruin things for models that you don't like for whatever reason. The card mechanics play a lot into things, as being able to hit just hard enough to the point where your opponent will be wasting high cards from their hand to protect their dudes is beneficial. With better cards you can have an advantage for the turn.

The guy you picture will often be fucking up the opponent's crew from a distance, controlling his puppets from behind, and generally staying back. Someone like Misaki (Assassin ninja lady) on the other hand will bumrush down the board and kill the biggest model that she can get her hands on before dying herself. Factions have general game design principals, but it really does vary based on master.

As a new Ressers player, it's amusing to realize how much crossover we have now with Arcanists in addition to Outcasts.

So, how's Talos looking for Tara? Anyone do any playtesting, especially after her new upgrades?

>Deep Pockets is 2SS, so same as Arcane Res, but still better
Good. I was about to whine "bullshit".

Collodi, your pic, tends to have a core of his minion puppets that move around in a cluster, while a few other run the flanks and objectives.
A puppet in that bubble can take actions when he is harmed, and he can shove damage off himself onto them to stay alive.
He controls enemy models as well as if they were puppets, which as you can imagine is incredibly handy.
Also his crew looks cool as shit.