A passing thought

what would you say about it if Games Workshop hired experts in the language of Latin to go through all the lore of Warhammer and replace all the faux Latin with real latin names and words(at least wherever Latin might fit).

those of you fluent in latin, what sort of changes would you make to the Warhammer?

Other urls found in this thread:

areena.yle.fi/1-1931339
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

"Wow, there must be some real autistic fucks on the board of directors."
There's nothing wrong with the faux-Latin infesting 40k, it's only there to sound gothic and stuffy in a stuffy, gothic setting.

Fake Latin grows on you after a while.
It ends up amusing. I mean
It aends upo aemusinus

There is no way that extra customer or two they gain is going to make up for the expense of the translation. On the other hand, they aren't going to hurt anyone spending their money that way, so I wouldn't care.

I wouldn't see the point. Considering the timeline of the setting it makes enough sense for Latin to have existed in its original form, get phased out during modern times, come back for whatever reason, then get mutated over 40,000 years of human existence until the end product was Low/High Gothic. It doesn't have to be real Latin because it's not real Latin.

I'm a bit autistic regarding Latin, and surely Militia Astrorum sounds better than Astra Militarum and a Titan should be called Dominus (Lord, Master, Dominator) and not Dominatus (a puny "Dominated"), but I don't really know. I don't think it should be exact Latin, but at least it shouldn't sound so silly to everyone that speaks a Latin language

I've studied Latin, so High Gothic triggers me something fierce, but I don't think it's really a problem with the setting.

If anything I'd like them to spin out a cohesive language from the faux latin gibberish. That'd be an interesting thing

I don't know Latin but I understand your pain. The phrase ignorance is bliss exist for a reason.

I'm constantly triggered by movies these days because I picked up too much knowledge about film making and can't ignore mistakes.

>I picked up too much knowledge about film making and can't ignore mistakes.
an engineering degree does this to you too.
>watching Pacific Rim
>to those who've not seen it; it's a pretty decent giant-robots versus giant monster movie.
>in the movie they talk technical specs
>"the armor is all cast no-alloy steel"
>that is a literal description of cast iron
>they armor these giant robots in a brittle metal that will crack apart and explode into fragments if you hit it hard enough.
>and other more esoteric reasons this fact is not good
this and other reasons make sci-fi movies hard to watch or enjoy

>nailing down the gothic languages as separate from latin
also a good thing, at least it's a little more consistent.

>I don't think it should be exact Latin
well, no.
cause latin probably doesn't have words for things there might be odd names for in 40k
>does it???

>>I don't think it should be exact Latin
>well, no.
>cause latin probably doesn't have words for things there might be odd names for in 40k
>>does it???
Eh, it depends. Since a lot of our words are from latin/greek roots, it's a surprisingly flexible language. My Latin teacher used to listen to a radio that airs only in Latin, specifically about news. For example, if we want to say "atomic weapon" in Latin we can simply say "arma atomi" or "telum nuclei" or something like that

Coincidentally, it's from Funland :DD
areena.yle.fi/1-1931339

A regural person can "translate" high gothic. Everybody gets what a manufactorum is, a librarium, strategium. Warhammer 40k already tetters on a brink of too-seriusness, that would be too far.

Those are surprisingly accurate anyway. Some names or titles are wrong, but those are ok

at this point I am more curious about whats right or wrong than in the idea of a re-translation...

Some names are pretty silly, like I explained before. They get a bit sillier if you're from Italy/Spain/France and other countries with a romantic language.
Anyway, I'm far more triggered about their habit to write the descriptions and lore like if it was a catalogue, with weird English names and an abuse of ^tm

>^tm
to me this just means "trademark"

Yeah, all the fluff is now something like "And then the Primaris Marines Agressors™ opened fire on the Deatshroud Terminators™ hiding behind a Sector Mechanicus Ferratonic Furnace™"

Many of the basic words are right, just cobbled in retarded ways. Stuff like Astra Militarum and Senatorum Imperiallis are completely pants on head backwards, roughly translating as "star of the military" and "of the Imperial Senators". Lectitio Divinatatus is just gibberish, I think.

>those of you fluent in latin, what sort of changes would you make to the Warhammer?None. Latin words are overplayed.

perhaps they did the Yoda-speak thing intentionally..

This one always gets me.

>Reinforced Steel.

Reinforced with what?

acutally; you can fiber-reinforce it it isn't actually done often but it is done.

but generally you do the reinforcing with the steel, not the other way around

Should be Lectio (lesson, like lectio magistralis) and then I'm lost, I don't know what they're trying to convey

It's a book about the worship of the god-emperor, so I'm guessing "The teaching of his divinity" or something like that.

I assure you, you don't need an engineering degree to see through the shit science in pacific rim

>Gipsy danger is "all analog"

I would make official language latin but the common language / low gothic, greek.

Imperium resembels Byzantine Empire far more than Roman Empire. Not in goverment but in culture, the religiousness, obession with true doctrine and heresy, the clergy, other stuff, for example The Calendar is deffinety Byzantine,

latin is taught in high schools to hundred of thousand of students, even if only in written form.
it's not ancient egyptian, which you have to go hunt for an expert in some academy.
it's probably harder to find a good japanese translator than an english-latin one.
if they haven't it's because they probably don't want.
The little i heard of 40k lore most of the old world knowledge has been lost or bastardized.And languages evolve anyway.
it's completely fitting for the setting that even if they have maybe access to correct latin grammar and words, they just ended up using simplified fake latin as it sounded cool.

i still cringe everytime i read a fake latin name. pls fix that bullshit

that part didn't bug me as much for some reason

while they used to use faux latin just for the sound they now use it for the ability of claiming copyright easier

so yeah they wont switch to more accurate but generic terms they didnt "invent"

>latinfags

So Lectio Divinitatis then, which also sounds way cooler imo

But they don't speak latin, you sick fuck.

if thats your thought, then see cause thats another option.
there have been languages made for lesser reasons.

and speaking Gothic or High Gothic at a convention might be fun/funny too

Why anyone would want proper latin instead of goofy pig latin is beyond me.

Let the autism go. It's called Science FICTION for a reason.

You're watching a movie about giant robots fighting Godzilla. Metallurgical details are a pretty minor point in the believability spectrum.

Materials Science Engineer here.

I'd love that, but they'd need to spend a ton of money to get half-a-Tolkien's worth of linguistic autism.

Two English speakers from the opposite sides of the planet, right now, can be confused be each other's accents.

If you heard an English speaker from 500 years ago you'd have trouble communicating with them. If you heard an Old English speaker from 1500 years ago, it would be a foreign language to you.

The idea that "Low Gothic" from 40,000 years in the future should have any consistency with the riles of contemporary academic Latin is ludicrous.

>in the grim darkness of the 41st millennium, the Low Gothic word for magazine is "clip"

Would they inadvertently invent Latin terms for Computer Science while working on AdMech?