/wfg/ Warhammer Fantasy General

The actual game edition

Upcoming Content: Total War: Warhammer 2, WFRP 4e, unnamed hack'n'slash genre Warhammer vidya, Vermintide 2

> Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

> We're looking for these novels for the archive
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/
Return of Reckoning: returnofreckoning.com/
Snotling Fling: itunes.apple.com/us/app/warhammer-snotling-fling/id901638145?mt=8

Previous

By Grimnir...

Wait a minute... those aren't goblin green bases.
That image and argument are too modern to take seriously.

What does Veeky Forums think is worse?

>Option A: Never having a chance to play WHFB and owning none of the models but getting interested in the game just before it was scrapped.
>Option B: Owning and playing WHFB for ages and seeing the setting scarped.

I myself never had a chance to play and feel a little sad I will never have a chance to see the game in it's prime.

>Adapt to your opponent

But shouldn't your opponent also adapt to you?
What happens when both players become an amorphous mass?

Option C: watch the shills and deluded cretins praise AoS

>Option D: Stay salty for two years running

Why Current Warhammer total war follows old lore and not AoS?

>I can't like a dead thing
Because who the fuck wants to play that lore? Lol

I went into a shop the other day and was so disheartened and uninspired by what's happened to this game. Just as I was about to rekindle my childhood interest and explore it to the max! The hub, the core, has rotten from the inside to the out.

Still, plenty of sources for models etc elsewhere.

I'm looking to do some LoZ moblin-style orc conversions —I'm sure I remember seeing bulldog miniatures with Bretonnians (or someone) in old White Dwarf mags, but I'm drawing blanks searching the web.

May end up simply sculpting the pig/dog jowls myself but would like to patch together existing parts as well —can anyone point me at any bulldog-ish miniatures they know of?

You mean not even GW ups wanted to make a game to make current lore more popular?

Option E: Shill for GW and be a despicable mouthbreather

>>I can't like a dead thing

Said no one.

>Option D

They just don't care. AoS was just barely successful because 40k 7th sucked. Now their gold eggs chicken is back on track and AoS will just receive some bland update to Stormcasts from time to time

>their gold eggs chicken is back on track
How? It looked just as bad as AoS

8th seemed mostly successful so far, and people are swarming all over the new primarines

>Option E

Maybe because it was cheaper to buy the rights for a WF game than for AoS.
And because humans fighting over a magic planet (which is nonetheless is still grounded in reality) makes more sense for a total war game than infinite daemons vs the emprah's fury fighting over realms of infinite size

>How?

It's the most popular edition ever.

>It looked just as bad as AoS

Maybe this is why Fantasy died/

Where did I shill for GW?
Not being pissy two years later doesn't mean I'm pro AoS.

Ehh, I'm not sure if it has the potential to become same kind of top dog as 40k was in the past. Many people are dusting their old armies to give it a go, but it's more like a secondary or tertiary game to many. Still better than not in consideration at all.

AoS has no lore to speak of.

CA also recognized the absurdly high marketability in the Old World.

Which lore of magic is your favourite?

>Not being pissy two years later doesn't mean I'm pro AoS

Yes it does.

Still GW's best seller

Amethyst.

Operating on what logic?

AoS has lore, but it's overall nebulous. Literally Whatever: the Setting

Not claiming otherwise. It's definitely more popular than the previous edition, it's just that the market is less homogeneous than in the past.

The holy number has appeared and the stars aligned themselves, let the ritual begin.

Oh yeah, they fucked up hard, and they actually have competitors now, which I believe is a good thing

When your setting is less solid than World of Niggers, you basically don't have a setting at all.

>Oh yeah, they fucked up hard

They're bigger than ever.

>they actually have competitors now

Their biggest competitor, Warmahordes just ate a big turd sandwich. Games Workshop are now in a very strong position.

>what is disney

Probably B. Sure you might have a chance to move on, but there are all these memories tied to WHFB, and either way it'll be harder to find players and get the sort of games you used to have.

At least with A, you can stay focused on the setting for a little while without really forming a strong connection. When your interest wanes you go do something else - that's what I did during the End Times, though I obviously came back to the setting.

By our powers combined, we are massively butthurt over everything GW does.

Not in competition with GW?

Jade.

The biggest tabletop game in the US is Star Wars

>Their biggest competitor, Warmahordes

X-Wing is their biggest competitior, one whom they're nowhere near these days.

I never did start that Bretonnia army

No, it had the most sales from indie retailers.
Even categorising them together is a mistake is x-wing is more like a boardgame, and doesn't go for the build and paint demographic.

>and doesn't go for the build and paint demographic
Neither does GW it seems

Nurgle atm. It got a bit of everything and perhaps the most insane lore attribute out there.

I pick C, my own experience.

>Hear faint things about the setting before it's scrapped, but never really look into it.
>Only find out about it properly during ET
>Never have a chance to play it, or really learn much about it before it's scrapped
>Total Warhammer comes out, and I basically dive headlong into all the lore and history that had gone before
>Wonder at what might have been

Disney, dude.

X-Wing is currently #1 and they just announced Star Wars Legion, their tabletop wargame to directly compete with 40k.

But I guess I shouldn't expect anyone to be up to date in /wfg/...

>compete with 40k.
Hah.

no game has ever done that in more more than three decades.

>Implying it's not popular just because of Star Wars brand

>Disney, dude.

Disney doesn't make mini games, the whole market is chump change to them. it's FFG who make it.

As for the rest X-wing isn't real competition, and Legions hasn't even launched and so can't be competition. It may become it, but frankly it's probably not the same scale for a reason.

>Star Wars Legion
Its ugly ass prepainted chinese toys you pick for dollar.

>probably not the same scale for a reason

Because 28mm army games are unwieldy at best and retarded at worst?

The kid explaining all the changes to me when I went to check out the store may as well have just been going "And then this guy was like, pew! pew-pew-pew! Schwooooiiinnng - - BA-ZOOM!! Prikka-tikka-tikka! Chukka-chukka-chukka - skrrt skrrt - BOOOM! So these guys over here were all like WOOOAAH yeah and it was awesome but like now everything is totally different lol, so you wanna buy some models or what?"

Ask /awg/, they're usually pretty good at finding models.

It's embarrassing how obsessed you guys are with AoS, I can understand liking WHF more but you're all so insecure and biased about it it's impossible for you to look at it objectively. Stay mad cringy nerds

FUCK OFF SHILL

Truthfully this is my first time in the thread, I've recently gone into a store to experience AoS (and the new 40K) firsthand, I was left disappoint by both

I did come in here expecting to talk about WHF though but was quickly sucked into bitching

>claims to be objective
>likes AoS

Either shill or retarded.

>starts bringing up AoS
>everyone says that they don't like it
>HURR DURR WHY DON'T YOU LIKE AOS

Well...what is there to look at objectively? Presumably its merits as a setting and game, but a lot of that comes down to personal opinion without a lot of number crunching.

I was literally option A
>been interested in whfb since freshman in high school
>always very poor. Would stand inside GW store just looking at stuff all day
>friend finally gives me his skaven book
>read it and try to learn rules for years
>fast forward: 28 years old now
>I actually find an entire rat hoard, 4k worth of units fully painted for $150
>buy it, get rulebook, sit in my own place learning to play
>go to Flgs when I muser the courage to play strangers
>get shit on because AoS is out and no one wants to play shitty whfb anymore

What makes it worse is none of my friends want to play. I built my own table and terrain and gaming room but everyone I know just goes "uh, yea I'll look it up" and just avoids talking about it. Fuck everyone, I just want to play. I literally played some solo games, just jumping to eacheck side, using beads for the enemy army as proxies.

Oookay, let's stop skub and...post fanart , no warhammer art in general

>Implying AoS needs to be brought up for people to start sperging about AoS.

It feels so much like Quel'thalas.

I miss being young again.

How are people supposed to sperg about AoS without bringing it up?

>it doesn't count that I'm losing because [arbitrary metric]

In my mind, it was real.

AoS does not have the developed setting or sort of world that really fits for Total War-style gameplay, unlike Oldhammer's setting.

Honest question, has GW ever put out art that comes anywhere close to the classic Bretonnian art?

And that's the exact problem with any new edition to a game. The question doesn't even come up as to what rule book you're using, because its assumed everyone is using the latest.

Grey.

Honestly, I've never been particularly impressed with GW's art department. Feels like everything they do with a an image could have been done just as well with a diorama.

I'm fairly sure they had the same or similar artists do stuff for other factions around that time so quality wise yes.

The style just REALLY REALLY suited Brets though.

I know what you mean. All this old art has a particular style to it that I've never seen anywhere else.

It's marvellous.

This general cares neither about GW nor Reddit Wars, so yeah.

The only time AoS comes up here is when AoS's dead general comes to stir shit or some ignorant outsider asks what we think of it.

It's objectively shit. Back to your LITERAL fedora steampunk dwarves, lmao.

Regarding that opening image, honestly, if the rules aren't emphasizing a fun game, you've got a fucked up set of rules. In particular, shooting happening after a move and the slayer losing points if it dies (the in-universe thing he's trying to do) are both highlights of the flaws inherent in the system. For a game that's supposed to prioritize fun over winning, they sure put a lot of emphasis on victory point accounting.

Kopinski was the best artist Warhammer ever haf.

And there I go and find an even better resolution. Oh well. Art for the art throne.

This, right there. Notice how it looks more threatening than most of those AoS big monsters? That's because he has a small head, a great number of small, sharp teeth and proportioned claws. Unexperienced sculptors usually put enormous claws and big teeth everywhere, a huge head and big limbs with a result called paedomorphism, meaning that the creature looks like a puppy and not a full-grown, threatening adult.
Just wanted to let you know this.

Ayy elves.

I remember some vague idea about Black Orcs making use of a horned symbol that was basically that of Hashut. Does anyone have any sort of confirmation of this?

Hiring real illustrators around this period was the best move G Dubs ever made. They settled on this unified aesthetics of oil paintings and pencil sketches and it looks goddamn fantastic.

I feel for you, friend. I would play with you if I could.

Blue!

I like how the artists for Total Warhammer seem to be trying their best to emulate that style, though not going so far as to outright rip it off. And it's got a bit of a CG-type look to it, compared to the sharper pencil lines from the old art, which I guess is fair enough.

The relatively skinny arms of that Marauder Chieftain really works in the paintings favour. It makes the individual seem much more real than if he would've sported the stereotypical gym arms.

No! Yellooooaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

I just absolutely adore that hydra.