7th Sea: The East

So, the quickstart for 7th Sea: The East is now up and about. To those who aren't in the loop, The East is intended to be a standalone game, fully compatible with 7th Sea 2nd edition, which will focus on the East Asia equivalent of the game's 17th century setting. The bar is both high and low simultaneously because on the one end everyone has been eagerly expecting that kind of content for years but on the other hand the last edition's treatment of east Asia was laughably bad in almost every respect, so just about anything moderately competent will be "better".

A few notes to get discussion started:

* Instead of the standard 5 Trait array, Eastern Heroes choose 5 out of 7 Traits representing various virtues, so instead of Resolve, Wits or Finesse any given one may have Compassion, Wisdom and Loyalty. If nothing else, this is an interesting idea and it follows pretty logically from the fact that 2nd edition's more narrative gameplay mean there's no mechanical difference between the traits anyway. In a sense, there's no reason why your Traits *couldn't* be anything you like.

2. The world now has a Japan equivalent in Fuso! Now we can only hope John Wick reins in his natural urge to masturbate to their supremacy and importance, but evidence doesn't look promising.

3. Other Eastern nations include Han (Korea equivalent, don't ask why), Shenzou (China equivalent), the Agnivasran Empire (India), Nagaja (somewhere in Southeast Asia?), Kammerra and the Kiwa Islands, which, very intriguingly, appear to be equivalents for Australia and New Zealand, of all things.

4. Fuso's native sorcery is called Kamuryu and, unsurprisingly, involves communing with and making requests of the "Kamuy" who exist in every thing. It can create magic items by binding Kamuy to them but there don't appear to be rules for this so I guess it's GMs fiat whether this is a recipe for omnipotence or useless.

Sorry, it's "Kamuyru", not "Kamuryu". The book also notes that the spelling "Kamuy" isntead of "Kami" isn't yet another of 7th Sea's clumsy attempts at making something fantastic by changing its spelling (*cough* "lwa" * *coughe*) but instead is the Ainu word for spirits. This is meant to represent the fact that, keeping with the 2nd edition setting's commitment to representing a more upbeat version of history, the Ainu equivalents in Fuso (the "Northern Tribes") were not persecuted so harshly and peacefully integrated into society.

As a sidenote, the setting's equivalent of admiral Yi San Sin is a woman. Feel free to rage about SJWs to your heart's content.

It's actually another case of lazy gender editing. Admiral Jihu is called "he" in one page then described as a woman in the next.

The longer 7th sea 2nd produces, it feels like the looser the chokehold on Wick the editors are getting.

What gives?

> editors
This time Wick is running the show.

If that's the case then I'm pleasantly surprised. It hasn't been perfect so far but it isn't nearly as much of a shitshow as some of his previous projects.

With a million dollars on the line, you shape up.

The East?
What, is some overrated asshole sore that he couldn't get the rights to Rokugan when they got sold?

Actually, if they didn't have at least one female admiral, I would have to point to Historical Precedent (see, the Pirate Queen).
But the new edition is getting lazy with creating stuff that resembles real life - just look at the jews in Crescent Empire.

It's fine and even desirable to include female pirates and powerful female leaders, but when more rulers and pirates in the setting are women then men the whole concept shoots itself in the foot. There's nothing brave or revolutionary or subversive about being Julie D'Aubigny or Anne Boney or Jing Shi in a world where that's just the norm.

I actually loved Sarmion. It's such an out of nowhere idea I actually laughed out loud when I read it, but amazingly, it's so crazy and nonsensical that in my opinion it actually works.

What's it about?

It's modern day Israel. Crossed with biblical Judea. With magic thrown in for good measure.

Smack dab in the middle of the 17th century.

It's surprisingly awesome.

I don't know about anyone else, but I fully intend to just slap Rokugan into Fuso's place in the setting in any game I play

Atrocious idea. The cosmologies, settings and power levels involved are far too different. Lot5R magic will rip through the entire 7th Sea world with impunity, and the whole history of the realm would no longer make sense with the rest of the world not fitting.

Has anyone played the new system? It looks a bit needlessly complicated for little return on a reading of the demo rules. How does it run in play?

So this is going to be the 4th expansion right?
Heroes and villains,Pirate Nations,Nations of Thea are the only one out If I recon well
After the East, what's next? America equivalent?

There was also the Middle East equivalent. The next in line in South America (Aztlan), then North America (Wabhanakik)

Damn. That's pretty much the whole world.

Well, minus Antarctica.

You both forget Ifri, the new Africa standin. Given the new SJW direction, fantasy Africa is bound to be a ton of fun.