Ten years in, nobody has come up with a use for blockchain

Ten years in, nobody has come up with a use for blockchain : hackernoon.com/ten-years-in-nobody-has-come-up-with-a-use-case-for-blockchain-ee98c180100

What do you think? He's somewhat right, there are maybe a few uses I can think of.

Other urls found in this thread:

asx.com.au/services/chess-replacement.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=G3psxs3gyf8
scmagazineuk.com/nhs-12-million-patient-name-database-hacked-to-expose-weaknesses/article/683073/
theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/31/dropbox-hack-passwords-68m-data-breach
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud_leaks_of_celebrity_photos
moonlambos.io/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Look up Stellar

power ledger

/thread

nice fud, boomers will nod their head in approval. they were right all along

This guy is a moron.

sold 100k

I-it's a b-bubble! There nephew, I said it again!

yeah yeah that's great and all and it's all coming but what about voting, why wasn't it second after currency lol

asx.com.au/services/chess-replacement.htm

retarded_wojak.jpg

he's a fucking dumbshit

Ethereum is a gamechanger, motherfucker. Many more cryptos have stupidly interesting propositions that might actually work. Not to mention that the blockchain effectively puts a permanent fix on things like cryptography, which have been done through smart bandaids until now.
That guy didn't even try to do any research at all. Or he's FUDding the fuck out of everything.

literally who is this twink with funny name

He doesn't know Populous

i mean he aint wrong. do any of you really believe these coins will deliver anything? even ones like ethereum, what need are they serving, what problem are they solving, for fucks sake what exactly are the real world use cases for this shit.

>illegal transactions
that this is a thing shows how fucked up the political and financial world is already

>blockchain effectively puts a permanent fix on things like cryptography, which have been done through smart bandaids

What does this even mean? Do you have an idea what cryptography is?

What was the last thing you guys bought or sold using a cryptocurrency (apart from other cryptos)?

>THERE'S NO USE FOR BLOCKCHAINS
>...except for a few things

Didn't read the article, title is enough to call it BS. Company I'm working for is using blockchain today.

2018 is our year.

it's same kind of people who said internet is "useless".
for starters watch this, brainlet
youtube.com/watch?v=G3psxs3gyf8

Sooo.. how would you use blockchain?
And what benefits would it give compared to the traditional relational database for example..?

I read this. Complete waste of time. Hint: no, he isn't right. Yet people keep sharing

This

A lottery ticket to win more crypto.

We're still in the investment stage of this new tech. We are in the pump stage we will then dump, then adoption will happen and we'll pump to the same heights again.

>CEO of retiree fiat investment company
I wonder why he would write something like this

You can simply check it this way: what company NEEDS this tech for its business process?
Do it for, say, gasoline first. Then for crypto. Pretty underwhelming indeed. But I still think bitcoin fills a need (sending big chunks of money across borders pseudonimously).

kek

> Ten years in, nobody has come up with a use for blockchain

Umm, try again sweetie.

>Do it for, say, gasoline first
funny for you to say that, becouse when automobile was invented it was almost impossible to find a gas station and cars would constantly run out of gas and get stuck where horses could pass, what a useless invention automobile is, just a toy for the rich.

>Ten years in, nobody has come up with a use for blockchain :
The first blockchain was created 9 years ago.

How can small blockchains protect themselves against 51% attacks?

they can't. it's an inherit flaw of the technology that can only be minimized, but never dealt with completely.

It's like internet security can only work as long as nobody can surveil the whole net.

i think the people saying well no one thought the internet would be that useful or cars were useless at first, the thing is the more we advance technology and the more we know more about everything essentially the less these kinda of surprise advances happen. for example once cellular phone technology existed it wasnt hard to imagine wifi being a thing although maybe the speeds at which we have wireless internet maybe most wouldnt have predicted, there is always a chance this technology will surprise us and be super useful but i doubt it, it doesnt solve any problems or offer something over existing tech for the most part.

by being somewhat centralised in the early stages.

Vitalik critiques Ark for this then in the same sentence states that its a benefit, just not in the long term.

https:// vitalik.ca/general/2017/12/17/voting.html

that will ruin the price of whatever you are mining, why the fuck would you want that?

>it doesnt solve any problems
becouse you don't see problems, just like people who used horses didn't see problems.

>The first blockchain was created 9 years ago.
The concept was around quite longer actually. There was no real use for it tho until Bitcoin. It was a nice stuff for buying shrooms in 2012, but nowadays BTC blockchain is just collapsing under the weight of the hype and greed, making it worthless.
Blockchain is useless for small networks. Nice pictures about it's is nothing more than marketing presentations.
>t. actual ex-DBA

Databases are for virgin sysadmins, blockchains are for chads who don't need to respect anyone

The Ripple part wasn't that good, ripple already has the tech to handle 50.000+ tx/s, and he didn't mentioned the liquidity benefits for cross continental payments -> 5 - 7 secs vs 3 - 5 days with current tech.

Good debate on the comments nonetheless, it really shows how early we are, it doesn't mean that the tech is just going to stay the same way for the next 10 years.

I work in healthcare, blockchain could change everything in terms of patient monitoring (ie: doctors would be financially incentivized to update the profile of patients on an universal database), drug consumption (you could track which patient has been prescribed what and what he has bought in a private manner), studies (these kind of datas in such quantity is every epidemiologist dream), etc...
All of that in a secure, private and resilient manner, something no company, not even tech giants or ABC agencies, can offer.

Use for blockchain: Etherdelta - STOCK BROKERS ARE NO LONGER NEEDED.

Theres your fucking use fuckwad.

He's right, you know. This is one of the reasons why I never spent a penny on buying any cryptocurrencies. Imaginary tulips is worse than real tulips.

And again I see no benefits over some traditional database that's probably already in place.
Secure..? Would you really keep a giant ASIC farm to provide needed security level? Lots of cash for electricity and equipment would go down the drain that way if you ask me.
If not 51% is an easy way to go.
Both tech giants or ABC agencies are doing just fine without blockchain so far.

>nobody has come up with anything, oh expect these two major innovations but we'll just brush over those

Name ONE useful, working dApp

>it has to be useful too
pass

Name ONE useful, working cryptocurrency

Who cares? Were here to make our fiat grow not to have/use some useless internet money that you can cheat with cheat engine

58 year old here.
OP is right!
What uses does this have? What revolutionary idea does it bring to the table...nothing! Oh wait...there's money laundering, tax avoidance and untraceable purchases of drugs/guns/littleboys! EGADS!!! IT REALLY DOES HAVE A USE!!! zOMG!!!
What you pinheads don't seem to understand is that the central banks and their taxing arms will ALWAYS be in control...if they see this cryptoe shit getting out of control, THEY WILL MAKE THEIR OWN AND APPROVE A SELECT FEW (from their own choice of friends) AND OUTLAW ALL THE REST.
You can trade these virtual pokemans for a while but you know what? You still hafta cash them out in $$$ for them to be ANY USE AT ALL. How you guys don't see that irony and hypocrisy is beyond me.
Good luck trading...I'm gonna short some more futures...the more the richer I'll get.
>Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and inexperience.

0/10

you're so stupid, you don't even deserve these gains.

lack of adaptation has nothing to do with the usefulness of blockchain tech. most ancient crypto is 10 times better than any financial transaction systems used now.

lack of adaptation is the problem, and instability because of the young market is probably why. its understandable. 10 years to revolutionize finance worldwide is nothing.

damn, you know your shit.
I appreciate the research you've put into this, and thank you for sharing it. I hope others seriously consider your warning.

Bitcoin was pretty useful some time ago with sane transaction fees and active Silk Road.

but you dont need a blockchain to do any of this stuff

Monero

SYScoin

/thread

>58
>on Veeky Forums
>brainlet

I appreciate the research you've put into this, and thank you for sharing it. I hope others seriously consider your warning2

Kek, what have ASIC farms have to do with this?
You seem to have very little understanding of how the blockchain works, you don't have to use a PoW running on SHA 256 like Bitcoin you know, you can easily use PoS or any other consensus methods that will not consume anymore energy than database used today.

>And again I see no benefits over some traditional database that's probably already in place.

You are either of bad fatih or retarded in this case because I've just listed them: unchallenged resilience, privacy and security.
The only one existing afaik is the NHS digital and it's weak in term of security:
scmagazineuk.com/nhs-12-million-patient-name-database-hacked-to-expose-weaknesses/article/683073/

>Both tech giants or ABC agencies are doing just fine without blockchain so far.
Yeah, that's why the get their database hacked all the fucking time kek: theguardian.com/technology/2016/aug/31/dropbox-hack-passwords-68m-data-breach
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud_leaks_of_celebrity_photos

You are out of your depth.

I noticed you responded with ad hominem attack but offered no substantial rebuttal or information. Hillary needs your vote again!

Shame, you know you're crazy.
I attach great importance to this research and would like to thank you for your participation. We hope that others take the warning seriously

I appreciate the research you've put into this, and thank you for sharing it. I hope others seriously consider your warning.

moonlambos.io/

Wtc...

thank you, finally some independent thought and reason

>what use there is to a publicly verifiable, distributed, untamperable database

You don't need to clip your fingernails before fingering your bird. But you do because its better, less problems, more efficient orgasm.

The blockchain is the most EFFICIENT way of doing things. It will happen regardless. Once it reaches tipping point companies will use blockchain tech automatically, they wont look to work around existing systems.

>you don't have to use a PoW running on SHA 256
And what would be the difference..? Server room with GPU's instead..?
In therms of hashpower/efficiency going with something that ASIC can handle is actually a smart decision.
>You are either of bad fatih or retarded in this case because I've just listed them: unchallenged resilience, privacy and security.
You have to be retarded because 51% attack on your small network would shit both on your resilience and security.
Privacy..? Why is it not achievable with RDB in your opinion? Privacy is mostly app based in this case.
>The only one existing afaik is the NHS digital and it's weak in term of security:
>Yeah, that's why the get their database hacked all the fucking time
Literally no benefits to the security. If you got access to at least one of the blockchain machines - you got full access to the blockchain.
Some kind of server for communication with the blockchain would be used anyway (you shouldn't store data like that in the open). And you will get another breach point for injections this way.

>The blockchain is the most EFFICIENT way of doing things.
efficient means cheap
cheap means no one needs a legion of neet freeloaders that think they deserve 1000x gains
whole thing will reset to 0 before going mainstream and companies will start using their own blockchains by hiring teams not using existing coins

>The blockchain is the most EFFICIENT way of doing things

Source on this

Gold & silver

>And what would be the difference..? Server room with GPU's instead..?
Again, a blockchain doesn't have necessarily to be in PoW, we are past this point since some time now.

>You have to be retarded because 51% attack on your small network would shit both on your resilience and security.
51% attacks from whom? Stakeholders? Also what would they do if by any magic this happened? Do some double spending and block transactions? Who gives a fuck as long as they can't access the datas nor modify them.

>Literally no benefits to the security. If you got access to at least one of the blockchain machines - you got full access to the blockchain.
You realize the datas on the blockchain can be encrypted and then only being accessible with a private key?

encrypgen..... this author didnt even do the most basic of research that are plenty of coins with real world application....fucking terrible post OP ....NOCOINER detected

ofc i know that see but the whole market will bubble up to $5tn before then. Tech can be improved by this money

Im sorry i don'[t have sources for an worldwide change. It may not be the most efficient method now for some industries, but it will shortly and is for many now.

read your post user you're being retarded

If you're into video games at all and don't understand the potential of a blockchain in tampering prevention (cheating, game developers fucking with rules) and interoperability (items and characters usable in completely different universes), you're way behind. It would be surprising if there weren't major games running partly on the blockchain by 2025. It's going to take off much faster than virtual reality despite a late start, as the latter requires expensive equipment and imposes constraints not compatible with social life. In contrast, possibilities afforded by blockchains are mostly augmentations of existing concepts, making things more shared and connected = strong virability.

Explain how this could help vidya at all? What's this about interoperability? How will I use items and characters from one game in another with the blockchain?

This is why you should invest in voxels. The coin for virtual reality

Also interested in the vidya, what difference can it make to cheating?

>Ethereum is a gamechanger
> What is the DAO?

Centralisation

Block chain is just a ledger of who owns what. That is, user has gained 15000 points in his manchild game and therefore owns an arse-blaster 9000. Another user who paid $100 now owns his dragon-dildo-15000. Because these are wrote into the ledger and not created as instances, napalm-dodging user can't cheat and magically create his Swedish-BBC-Destroyer 50,000 out of the nothing as it's not on the ledger.

he/s right. blockchain is a niche middleware that works well with crypto currency, but every other implementation is done better utilizing other pre-existing technology. the various use cases presented in this thread don't really pass the blockchain litmus test.

hahahaha fucking boomers

>the whole market will bubble up to $5tn before then
good luck timing the bubble lol

yeah, every doctor is going to keep a ledger of every person with all of their information. each doctor's office is going to need a fucking data warehouse costing billions to run.

i also work in healthcare, specifically the IT strategy component of it. we're playing with blockchain but there isn't a single use case that we see that's feasible.

Literally the one and only thing crypto brings is decentralization. And:
1. Proper decentralization is hard (for example, Bitcoin mining is controlled by a handful of companies in China).
2. The vast majority of economic entities do not benefit from decentralization. It ends up being more expensive.

So yeah, this whole crypto thing is overblown as fuck. Sure, it has are some niche uses and a few projects will survive, but the vast majority are just a fad.

>cheap means no one needs a legion of neet freeloaders that think they deserve 1000x gains

Haha oh boys, I didn't know that there are people still believing money correlates with efforts, you are children.

Go speak with some guys working at the City or Wallstreet, majority of them do money without producing any utility to society when they are not straight up nefarious for it, most of their energy is spent trying to sell some dogshit they bought straight from the anus of the dog to their (gullible) clients, it's not very different from Veeky Forums in fact, they just do it in big buildings with much more money, technical gibberish and fancy clothes.

The 2008 crisis was the epitome of that, banks were buying absolute diarrhea tier mortgages, packed them into product that we called CMO with a shiny paper around it, lied on what was in and then sold it to their clients.
At its peak it was a 1.4 trillion dollar market, 1.4 trillions dollar market of pure dogshit which collapsed back to less than 200 billions market in a year with 0 UTILITY provided to society.

>whole thing will reset to 0 before going mainstream and companies will start using their own blockchains by hiring teams not using existing coins

For some of them yes, for most no, everything that relies on a public marketplace to be competitive will not change. Also people always overestimate how much inertia happens inside companies, see how Microsoft lost so much opportunities to Google and Facebook or how Wallmart is being made irrelevant by Amazon.

Somebody got left out.

>i also work in healthcare, specifically the IT strategy component of it. we're playing with blockchain but there isn't a single use case that we see that's feasible.

"I also work in the army, specifically the archery corps of it. we're playing with arquebus but there isn't a single use case that we see that's feasible"
Literally you in 1350.

>you need to download an entire blockchain to use it
Can't say if you guys are talking without knowing shit of if I accidentally travelled back to 2014?
Go check Sia or Substratum or Shift or Filecoin or one of the tens of blockchain project doing decentralized hosting or storage.

if you're going to trust a blockchain network that isn't being used as a distributed ledger of information with universal consensus, then you may as well just use a regular database to store information.

>buy plot of land in 3rd world country
>register it on the blockchain
>local warlord puts an ak47 to your head
>"this my land now"

What now, Veeky Forums?

(You)

Shot him and his family.

>UNIRONICALLY WRITING IN CAPSLOCK
kys
>etherdelta
oh you mean that shitty exchange that's forever stuck at 2% marketshare because it's slow and expensive?
>most EFFICIENT
>consume as much energy as an entire country and still have to pay literally 1000x more and wait literally 1000x longer for a transaction to go through
yeah, nah