Which novels, stories, etc do you consider from good to esential material to anyone who is into roleplaying...

Which novels, stories, etc do you consider from good to esential material to anyone who is into roleplaying, setting-building etc?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobgoblin_(novel)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Mabinogion.

Name of the Wind

He's a mad Commie but China Mieville's worldbuilding via implication in Perdido Street Station is a pretty interesting comparison and contrast to Tolkien's worldbuilding.

Makes playing in any capeshit setting signifigently less shit.

A Wizard of Earthsea, if you want to do an island-based setting without going into Polynesian mythology or the Golden Age of Piracy.

It's basically just "standard fantasy setting, now make all the land islands, see what happens". One of them is that almost no-one's white, apparently.

Dracula, actually.
The first act is the GM's prewriting -- what Dracula is and what he's like to deal with, as well as the powers and resources at his disposal. Second act, the players enter and are introduced to the GM's setting, then the monster, then the ways of fighting the monster. Third act is hands-off, GM has a written plan, precautions, and end goal for the monster. The end goal "win/lose condition" is explicitly made clear to the players, and we enter the "can they foil the monster's plans based on what they know about him?" stage.

Being written through compiled journal entries from each character's perspective helps even further. There is no true "main character" or "protagonist" only the party.

what was smaug's tax policy?

Which begs a question; who would win in an overpowered crazy-bastard fight, Tom Bambodil or The Weaver?

anathem, more or less any stephenson book would do, but that's the most important in my opinion

a fire upon the deep and a deepness in the sky

Wheres the best place to start with Moorcock? I want to get into Elric, I guess

Conan, Lovecraft, Watchmen, Inuyasha, Escaflowne, JoJo Blade Runner, 1984, norse, arthurian, greek and mayan myths, etc.

>essential

What kind of shit-tier /v/ thread is this.

None are fucking essential.

You read what you like and use the system that is like what you read.

Jesus fuck all these faggots don't even play roleplaying games.

Start with 'Elric of Melniboné', the first chronological book in the Elric stories. It should give you a good feel for Moorcock's writing in general.

If you like it I recommend going through the series in almost any order. The books are written as stand-alone stories so you won't be left clueless at any point.

After that there's a whole world of Moorcock to choose from. You like historical fantasy? Von Bek series got you covered. Steampunk? Nomad of the Time Streams is a hundred times better than modern steampunk, harking back to HG Wells and Verne.

There is also a French comic book series, pic related, that is absolutely awesome. It's a reinterpretation of the first Elric book, and what you prefer will be up to your personal tastes. I found it almost better than the book.

I do recommend skipping 'Elric at the end of time', which is shit, and waiting with 'Stormbringer' untill last as it is the chronological end of the series (despite being published first).

I remember some book called "Hobgoblin" my dad handed me when I was kid that was basically some nerd going way too heavy into the fantasy in his day to day life. He starts carrying real daggers and stabs some guy because he thinks he's a hobgoblin or something and has this major mental breakdown.

I need to re-read that book, I have no idea if it was actually good or just ticked all the things that a 14 year old nerd would think is cool.

I don't know that there are any. Roleplaying is based on understanding human behavior, which can be learned from any form of fiction, as well as from reality. World building is informed by knowledge of history, politics, culture, religion, human behavior and psychology, biology, geography, evolution, engineering and architecture, the history of war and weapon technology, and probably fifty other things. There's no one or ten or one hundred specific things that will teach you more about all of this than anything else.

Anything and everything can inform this hobby. The more places you draw inspiration from the better.

>I do recommend skipping 'Elric at the end of time', which is shit
Did you not realize why that book was critical?

You find out who the Lords of Chaos actually are, and who specifically Arioch is.

>Inuyasha

wut

Critical in what way? There is absolutely nothing that prevents you from reading and fully understanding the other books in the series. It's not a mystery series, the 'revalation' you mention is hardly an essential part of Elric's own universe. It is a nod to the interconnectedness of Moorcock's multiverse and the nature pf reality therein.

Gor, Sword of Truth and the Inheritance Cycle. These are essential reading of the highest quality.

Entire mountain full of gold every thousand years, low taxes man I love that guy.

The Iliad and especially the Odyssey. Myths in general. Borges (check out the Book of Imaginary Beings). The Divine Comedy, particularly Inferno. Gilgamesh. Arthurian literature. Strange Tales from a Chinese Studio, Water Margin, and Journey to the West (in that order).

Most of all, the Bible.

Basically, the shit actual fantasy writers drew inspiration from.
A bunch of people are white, but the main story takes place in a browner part of the world 'cause Le Guine's a massive hippy.

>whoever wins
>we lose

>A bunch of people are white, but the main story takes place in a browner part of the world 'cause Le Guine's a massive hippy.

Le Guine's world is so refreshing after reading some of th wshot put out today. Give me hippy over SJW any time.

I think by that, he meant the time-travel and Japanese mythology, I think? Personally, I liked Inuyasha as a kid when it was on YTV, but turned into Naruto pretty fucking quick after a while. Repetitive and shitty.

What's the distinction you draw between Le Guin and an SJW?

Earthsea is a great series, recommended reading for anyone into fantasy IMO

It IS great. Also, how the fuck have we gone 27 posts without mentioning Gormenghast?

Le Guin: Let's make a better world together, flowers and love for all, everyone is invited!

SJW: let's make a better world, under our unquestioned leadership, hatred being justified if directed at those we don't like, certain groups are not invited!

>Literally longer than War and Peace

IMO the only good capeshit setting ever made. Surprised it was made by an internet autist, but the logical consistency is top notch, and so is the kill ratio.

I don't have any reading that I'd consider essential, but I'd consider essential WATCHING to be a the 1980's B+ fantasy canon
>Conan: Ahnold Edition
>Flash Gordon
>Legend
>Heavy Metal
>Willow
>The Last Unicorn
>The Dark Crystal
>Red Sonja
>The Sword and The Sorcerer
>Star Wars Ewok Adventures (not even kidding, it's D&D as FUCK)
>Quest for Fire
>Troll
>The Black Cauldron
>Labyrinth
>Never Ending Story
>Return to Oz
>Highlander
>The Beastmaster
>Secret of Nimh
>The Princess Bride
>Ladyhawke
>Krull
>Clash of The Titans
>Excalibur

>Judges fiction based on logical consistency and number of false-flag main-characters killed off rather than how entertaining it is
>Has the gall to call anyone else autistic

>false-flag main-characters
??? Have you even read it? Of course not. you are just a moron. No main character dies, but powered people die all the time.

This guy gets it

Correction: I started but couldn't be bothered to FINISH it.

Look nigga, regardless of how "logically consistent" it is, that shit is long and boring. If I'm reading something, and my first thought is "wow, I'm bored" I stop reading it and do something else.

It's slightly shorter than all currently released A Song of Ice and Fire books, still autistically long but not particularly extraordinary.

While fairly obvious...
Dragonlance: Chronicles & Legends.

Another good read:
Le Morte d'Arthur

That's because the Inuyasha anime is one of the nastiest examples of filler

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobgoblin_(novel)

>Jesus fuck all these faggots don't even play roleplaying games.
What makes you think that?

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Ah yes...

Nothing like gaming in the late 80's and Manowar's 'The Warriors Prayer' comes on in the background.

Did you try reading beyond chapter 1.1?

Best answer.

Corum or Hawkmoon. Corum is closer to traditional fantasy (or, well, celtic myth) and has a more clear cut plot. Hawkmoon is probably the best of the early Eternal Champion novels.
When it comes to Elric, read the stories in publication order. Reading chronologically completely throws off the pacing, mood and character development.

>book version of that old movie/morality campaign that d&d was evil satanism that would drive you crazy and make you murder people
>just ticked all the things that a 14 year old nerd would think is cool
>tfw their dad probably gave this kid the book as a lesson because they were concerned they were getting too into fantasy