media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
What are the classes or races that make you groan when you see them hit table? Why so? What work arounds are available to make it not so much of a painful experience?

Inspired by the necromancy wizards / summoned druids talk in the last general - how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.

>Inspired by the necromancy wizards / summoned druids talk in the last general - how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.
Why did WotC make this shit work this way if it's so reviled? Do they not playtest their shit?

>What are the classes or races that make you groan when you see them hit table?
Tiefling and Dragonborn for races. I just don't like how they seem to show up in every single fucking adventuring group.

>What are the classes or races that make you groan when you see them hit table? Why so? What work arounds are available to make it not so much of a painful experience?
None, I don't play with shitlords
>Inspired by the necromancy wizards / summoned druids talk in the last general - how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.
By not playing with shitlords.

>how do you tackle archetypes that bog down the game.
No Summoners Need Apply
Anything with Death/Shadow/Night/Blood in the title somewhere, and UA full classes that aren't revised Ranger. I have set races for a setting, and if it doesn't allow for Tabaxi then fuck right off with your whining about it.

What are some good barbarian backstories

Tieflings seem like ideal adventurers, since they're pretty much guaranteed to be exiled from normal society.

Dragonborn are much harder to fit into the world, but I feel like most of the bad experiences people have are caused by bad players.

It's crazy how people want to play as sexy devils or dragonmen in a fantasy RPG where the other basic races are hyoomins and Tolkiens, right?

I don't mind tiefling and dragonborn, but fuck drow and their sunlight sensitive bullshit.

No, I'm not making everything dark od indoors because your race has shit eyes.

Maybe it was tested around the idea of a 2-3 person party? Where players can use summons to add a bit of fodder and action economy to their side? Fuck, I dunno. We've got a necromancer in the party now whom I'm sure intends to have zombie minions, but luckily we're low enough level that it's not an issue.

Yet.

>sexy devils
Hardly sexy since most settings they're hated and ostracized

Why don't they fuckin' wear tinted lenses?

dragonborn is just a cringe race to begin with

This.

Does anyone else hate how easy it is to get access to resurrection spells?

Death is already pretty damn difficult to happen, but it's even less of an issue because a fucking third level spell fixes it

Like the last thread pointed out, just have them treat their zombies as a singular unit with one roll. All of you shut the fuck up with your whining.

Remind the Necromancer player that it's a team game, and that there are other players, and that there's more to Necromancy than a whole bunch of skeletons that cost all of his spell slots to maintain?

Honestly if he were smart he'd just keep a few as fodder and replace them as-needed. I'd probably allow a houserule that he could 'capture' disabled Undead of a type he can summon, i.e., if he made some and then stuffed them in a sealed crate, he could use them to replenish his small cadre of skeletons later so he doesn't feel like he's being punished for being a Necromancer.

And then, when he gets the Demiplane spell, he can stuff it full of skeletons so that, later on, he can unleash a swarm of them (after setting up a Magic Circle against Undead to protect the party and himself, of course.)

Honestly I don't see why this is seen as difficult. It's easy to just talk to your player and make a ruling that keeps it fun for everyone.

Is there any way for a level 19-20 sorcerer to get two level 9 spells known instead of just 1?

Yeah, got to admit, they look really bad. Nothing wrong with plain old Lizardfolk, but this is too far. Too Deviantart OC.

A little bit, it definitely takes away from the sense of danger

I mean it's really not that hard to run them. You can't give them advanced orders. The most you can do is 'attack this guy'. Any tactic more advanced would be difficult to convey.

>Party of 5
>Myself and the GM are the only two people who have consistently shown up to every session

>Summons
Go for the 4e route, make them minions

1 health, high defenses, high chances to hit, fixed damage output.

I've always banned resurrection spells in my games and I've been DMing for over a decade.

Nah, it's easy to stop by restricting access to diamonds. A 100gp diamond doesn't become worth 1000gp just because you payed that, it has to be a bigass diamond.

Would you say ceremony is supposed to consume 25gp worth of powdered silver?

I hate Dragonborn with a passion.
Whoever thought it was a good idea at WotC seems to forget that the whole point of the Dragon, as a creature, is that they're rare and majestic.
Having Steve the Baker from down the road look almost exactly like Magmatongue the Destroyer of Worlds is really fuckin difficult to deal with in a story sense.

I like Tieflings, but I reflavor them to setting, including mechanical changes as needed.

No, but they seem to attract a LOT of really shitty fucking players, especially the dragonborn.
They aren't inherently bad ideas because only idiots with zero analytical ability believes stuff like that can trust be objectively bad, but a wide majority of players I've met who wanted to play dragonborn choose the race in lieu of actually making the character interesting in any other way.
In one particular game the dwarf player, who was every bit the stereotypical fantasy dwarf character, STILL managed to have more personality and more interesting stuff with him then the dragonborn player that game despite nearly following the fantasy stereotype 100%.

I prefer making mine a little more... Draconic.

I prefer the Seinfeld sourcebook, myself.

Most summon heavy Druid is UA to be fair, but honestly, I basically assume it was barely touched - or it was stuff people hand waved away, or hyper competent players who did everything quickly. Let's be honest, the play testing in 5e is wonky. There's stuff that's blatantly wrong.

The default in 5e is for monsters to simply deal their average damage.
I only roll monster damage when their average would actually down a PC otherwise, and when they crit.

How do you usually flavor your tieflings?

And for second part of the question: how can it be done "right", or mitigate your annoyance with it?

3.5 had a 10GP item for that, they were literally just smoked glass (naturally made by using a fucking lantern) and some wood or metal.

But seriously how can one best build a cavalier to replace the party tank?

>Not rolling damage and health for enemies
boo

Well yeah that's because the dwarf fantasy stereotype is a strong one with plenty to pull from. What even is a dragonborne?

I actually roll their hit points sometimes. I find it makes for much more interesting combats, especially when there are many of the same type of creature.
The tradeoff is just time and effort.

I tend to take a middle road. Diamonds are rare, obviously, which is one restriction.
The other is that I require a check to resurrect. Caster level for older editions, caster stat for 5e.
It's easy to explain away, too--If they die and go to heaven, there's a decent chance they'll be too busy in the palace of blowjobs and chocolate to want to deal with that being alive shit.
If they're going to the bad place, they're probably chained down and being shown a spiked dildo collection, so pulling them away is difficult.
Either way, it's a test of spellcaster skill to yoink them away from death. Simple enough.

Cause it doesn't work that way.
You know what DOES work? Not going outside at fucking mid day.

Its a supernatural affliction, not merely a sunlight sensitivity. It's why when drow wildshape, they still suffer from sunlight sensitivity.
..Which makes perfect sense for Drow, but is fucking weird when you look at things like Kobolds. They just are apparently sensitive to sunlight, but have the same 'well you're fucked now'.

The other part of it is that 'just wear tinted lenses' is too easy a way to hand wave around a defining weakness of a race. If you're going to do that, it might as well not be there.

How do YOU handle wilderness adventures, or travel?

Do you take the hour by hour approach to travel, or the montage? Describe the surroundings in detail or focus on what the party is doing? Specially prepare encounters beforehand or roll randomly? Or do you skip travel entirely?

what about Wish?

Wizard of Oz

Keep in mind that kobolds specifically have Pack Tactics to offset their sunlight sensitivity in combat.

My rule of thumb for making a character and advice is make the personality, backstory all that. Then pick a race and class only slightly tweaking the character to fit that.

So long as you have 9th level slots available when you level up you can just swap one of your lower level known spells for a level 9 one. You can get a second level 9 spell the instant your character gains access to them you just can't cast more than 1 per day.

I rule it as more than just eyesight

The sun burns, it's incredibly distracting not just because it hurts your eyes, but your skin feels like it's constantly badly sunburnt. Some sunglasses isn't going to fix it, and going to the extent that it would to stop effecting you would end up giving you disadvantage anyways because you've just covered yourself head to toe in super thick cloth and can barely move around in it

My campaign Races: Variant humans.
Northmen -typical large Nord types, can put both initial points in STR
Southerners - swarthy Italian-ish types who can put both initial points in CHA
Kleshites - Amazonian jungle types who can put both initial points in DEX
Quarmalians - pale underground dwelling slavers who have controlled their own breeding.
Can put both initial points in INT or CHA and have darkvision, but have penalties in light and negatives to persuasion with non Q's (but + in intimidation).
Mingols - Essentially mongolian steppes raiders, classes with Heavy Armor proficiency lose it but gain +1 to hit with a weapon of choice. Can put both initial points in DEX.
Eevanmarensi - decadent, indulgent easterners, completely hairless, can put both initial points in INT
Ghouls - savages and cannibals, their flesh and blood is completely transparent, making them look exactly like skeletons when naked. can put both points in CON. + to intimidate/- to persuade
Simorgyans - race living in a hidden undersea city, can breathe water

Current party: 8th level Mingol Champion, Eastern Trickster, Kleshite Ranger, Southerner Priest, Northman Barbarian.

No. You just need to buy 25gp worth of powdered silver, now you're able to cast ceremony. It doesn't say its consumed, therefore, its not.

Depends on the setting.
Sorry, not trying to meme on you, but that's the only answer.
In the current setting they're black-eyed people born from Human stuck on nights where the moons--there are two--eclipse one another, which is traditionally a bad omen. They tend to have horn-like bone projections on their foreheads or joints and sharp teeth, and can sometimes have extra or too few fingers, that sort of thing. Males often have extra horns on their chins or cheeks, and they tend to be larger. Females can sometimes have tails. Both can occasionally have vestigial wings, but they're useless things that hang off their shoulders and don't even have nerves, nevermind muscles. They're generally trimmed like fingernails unless someone's trying to make a statement. They also breathe more shallowly than normal, and can go without breathing at length.

Mechanically, their Fire resistance is swapped to Cold resistance and they have an added ability that they can hold their breath for 10+Con minutes instead of the default 1+Con.

Socially, especially among Humans, they are sort of off-putting but people still consider them Human. "Tiefling" is a slur, like calling someone "Negro"
The polite euphemism, especially among high society is "Born under an eclipse" or "Eclipsed" and they're considered to be poor unfortunates in a patronizing manner.
Basically, the setting thinks they're weird, but not in the full-on lynching sense.

Oh absolutely, but they don't have a mystical affliction. So when drow wildshape into an animal, you can go 'oh yeah sunlight sensitivity still applies because of that', but kobolds just .. Have sensitive eyes. That continue to be sensitive no matter their shape.

Two questions:

In order to use a sneak attack, you must be using a Finesse weapon. The PHB says that when attacking with Finesse weapons, you use your choice of your Strength or Dexterity modifier for the Attack and Damage Rolls. The Barbarian's reckless attack gives you advantage on melee weapon Attack rolls using Strength.

Does this mean that a Barbarian/Rogue multiclass can Reckless Attack with a Finesse weapon, choose to use strength with the Finesse weapon, and gain the benefits of both Reckless Attack and Sneak Attack?

Seems weird considering the spell makes holy water and how holy water is made in the PHB

yes.

And since I forgot, here's the followup question: what the fuck does a Reckless Sneak Attack look like?

Yes
But it's dangerously cheesy

Diving lunge at the kidneys with a poniard or rapier?

Over-extending to reach the vital point while exposing your own.
Are you sure you want to be playing games based on imagination? You don't seem to have one.

Just fucking shanking the bastard.

"You explode into sudden motion from an unexpected angle, throwing your entire body weight into your blow."
There you go, super easy. Sneak attacks are just 'unexpected' attacks, that's why it works if your enemy is engaged with an ally or such, because you're coming from an unexpected angle or while their attention is distracted. In the case of reckless sneak attacks, you're making risky gambits in order to strike where they wouldn't expect - probably because they don't think you'd throw yourself onto their sword in order to get at their kidneys.

But yes - this is why barbarogue is a meme. Because they interact so well.

Welcome to UA.

Attacking in a way thay makes you more likely to hit vitals but leaves you open to attack I'd guess

What is generally accepted as the maximum girth of an elven penis? My DM insists their penises are unusually long and unusually slender, but I don't want to be deprived of the attack bonus a wider circumference adds. Only the Barbarian has that right now and he's being a cunt about it.

>the character you never got to play because you're stuck as a dm
What's her class and race, /5eg/?

If a player wanted to multiclass into warlock at some point of the campaign, how much time should be spent roleplaying or focusing on the acquisition of their patron?

>her

None. They are just munchkin-ing, and your tiresome fluffery will just annoy them.

See I always considered it a mental thing when it comes to wildshapes and such. I mean if you've spent your entire life being fucked by bright light and your life is somewhat defined by it via being nocturnal or whatever, even if your body can now deal with the light it's so drilled into your head that the disconnect still messes with you. Like you still avoid looking at bright things even if they don't hurt your eyes anymore, you're still mentally used to judging distances and depth with your shitty eyes and it fucks with your estimations of distance, like a lesser version of a blind man suddenly being able to see, the dude won't just be able to instantly adapt to suddenly having a whole new sense.

It's bullshit but it lets me handwave it easier.

As much or as little as the player and DM want.

The PHB is super nonspecific about that. Some warlocks are thrust upon their pacts without any prior knowledge simply by being in the right place at the right time. Others devote their life to communing with their patron to be bestowed with a sliver of their power.

Thats a DM call for sure.

As much as every multiclass should

You DO require your players to have an RP reason and seek out the ability to multiclass, don't you?

Half-elven druids.

>Why so?
It's the only class/race combo my ex ever played so there's bad memories intrinsically attached to it that I haven't been able to get over.

roll a d12 for length and d8 for girth

I fucked up. My level 5 party just got 10 thousand gold. How do I balance this?

I personally disallow multiclassing.
I don't enjoy the mental gymnastics players put on to justify that gay class-mechanic combo they read about on the forums.

One of my favorite character concepts was just a really REALLY cheesed off peasant. Like, the heady combination of uncontrolled anger issues, poor quality of life, nagging wife, and kobolds stealing his daughter all combined to bring him to the edge.
>Goats caught the pox.
>There's a leaky roof tile 'bove my cot.
>Mallory won't stop her bellyachin'.
>Brigands stole me last copper.
>Tavern ran out of ale, AGAIN.
>GODDAMN potatoes have been blighted.
>Daughter went out to pick 'shrooms in death-kill gulch and never came back, now I have to pay some SHIT FOR BRAINS ADVENTURERS TO GET HER SO MALLORY WELL SHUT HER FUCKIN' TRAP
>ROOF IS STILL LEAKING
>HOW HARD IS IT TO GET ONE MEASLY FUCKIN' BARREL OF ALE
>he sees the brigands again
>pic
>wakes up in a sea of blood, holding an axe, surrounded by dead bandits.

Think Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Oh, thank you.

Currently I really want to play a Oath of Conquest/Infernal Pact character. I've never quite been able to decide the race - kind of want to go Tiefling to double down on hellishness (and get Hellish Rebuke), or Dragonborn, or just roll v. human because of course right.

Just roll with it, shit happens

>foreverDM
I just want to play a pirate

If they are flashy in town, have them be ambushed by rogues attempting to steal it. Stealth checks if they dont post watch. Steal it back and leave a breadcrumb, turn it into an adventure.

If they can't buy magic items, who cares? Let them buy a small ship and get around, and the crew costs will only add expenses.

If they CAN buy magic items, 10k will barely buy a single significant magic item.

Introduce the fantasy IRS.

Could just flavor the extra mechanics into the base class.

#
>silent assassination with something that is not easily detected (if the blowdart is removed)
>like in real life, used to deliver sedatives at range to targets that shall not be harmed, but need to be caught, such as wild animals some rich fuck wants for his private zoo, or a target that needs to be questioned / held hostage for ransom / political pressure
The blowgun isn't really a combat weapon, but there are various scenarios I can imagine it being very useful in.

In the setting if they dedicate the time they can find someone selling any magic item they want.

A little pepper and salt is sufficient, but they taste great on a bed of nestling greens with onions, tomatoes and basil.

Underrated post.

to give a Beholder legendary resistance or to not

is it overkill in his own lair?

Where does one go to find a group online. My group meets twice a month and I need to fill the void.

Depends on how powerful the beholder needs to be for the world. If hes guarding something important then yes, Id say go for it.

r/LFG

sorta, there are 3 Ioun Stones in the region (Leadership, Intellect, Insight) and he is in possession of one.

all the powers and factions are either hunting or fighting for the other 2. most leadership believe with all 3 stones they will be the most complete ruler and be able to control the whole region. the Beholder just happens to work from the shadows.

so yeah, he's a pretty important potential bad guy.

What are some important districts to include in a city?

Obviously places like merchant's district, temple district, some sort of government area. But what else can I do?

Look at it this way; anything that doesn't have Legendary resistance tends to have about a 50% chance to get wrecked by any party remotely near its CR, every time their wizard takes an action.

Assuming the wizard isn't being played by Twitch chat or something.

If you want for it to seem scary but ultimately turn out extremely easy to beat, then you don't need to add legendary resistance to it.

The local barracks.
Dockyards obviously if it's a port city.
Theatre/Entertainment.
Some kind of education disctrict. Grand city libraries, academies and such.

Stop acting like this is 3.5e, wizards are strong but they're not just gonna delete a person in 1 round.

I sure wish this was 3.5e. They should have just stopped updating after that.

You realize you're playing a fantasy game, right?