I hate Tolkien

Tolkien was a boring author. I couldn't even finish the Hobbit, he is so fucking dull. I think people just put him up on a shelf so they can pretend like they read Tolkien.

Absolutely nothing he did was interesting or groundbreaking. It was the most generic Arthurian fantasy ever conceived, with the most dull, uninteresting, cookie cutter characters.

I think people just bought his books cause he said he was a war hero. There is nothing insightful or even interesting about his novels.

I think anybody who claims to have read and enjoyed Tolkien is an irredeemable poseur who hates fantasy and just wants to ride the bandwagon.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/user/KatanaMancer
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can go back to /pfg/ now.

Cool story. You should make a blog.

takes one to know one, you fraud

I feel like everytime I'm prompted as to my taste in literature, I'm being tested. They want to know if your 'cool' and won't call them out on their lie, like some sort of circle of con artists who are all faking it and won't let you join in on the conversation unless you lie too.

Nobody likes Tolkien. He is a bad, unimaginative, uninspiring author who sucks the life out of the room everytime he is mentioned.

Show us how unique and wonderful your characters are, user.

I very much want to hear about your half-kitsune katanamancer waifu.

>I think people just put him up on a shelf so they can pretend like they read Tolkien.

I don't even know what to say to this, but you've made me want to reassess my generally positive opinion of the human race.

truth hurts, doesn't it, culture club?

Join me!
Cast of your shackles!
Stop pretending you like Tolkien!

I disagree, but okay.

I must commend you for the amount of (you)s you've amassed with such weak bait. That feat in itself is worth another (you).

>Reddit spacing
No, Tolkien was not a very good writer. He was a good worldbuilding and a good storyteller but the texture of his writing is absolutely terrible, I agree. His novels aren't insightful or interesting because they don't have to be, they are good stories on their own. Some literary faggots went on about the battles in Silmarillion were symbolic of his experiences in the Somme and he said "nah you fags are retarded I just thought it'd make a good story."

>I think anybody who claims to have read and enjoyed Tolkien is an irredeemable poseur who hates fantasy and just wants to ride the bandwagon.
I don't hate fantasy. I hate the weird jap-anime-crap high fantasy that has infested D&D from 3.5 onwards. Two bombs were not enough, and if the Norks hit Japan I'll honestly offer to suck Trump and Kim Jong Un's cocks at the same time.

JRR Tolkien for worldbuilding
HP Lovecraft for eldritch horrors
RE Howard for heroic pulp action

What system would you recommend to create this hybrid setting?

Homebrew system with 4d6-4+modifier against checks.

Take it to fagwash. Your sparkly opinion has nothing to do with Veeky Forums.

8/8 gr8 b8 m8

Hobbit was badass

Two Towers opened badass

The Fellowship started off way too slow

I liked the hobbit but I agree. His writing is very dull.

Not entirely right.

Tolkien was a terrible prose writer. His world building was exceptional.

>All these replies to an OP whom, one look at his OP picture, will tell you dislikes Tolkien because his idea of quality is slice of life moeblob garbage.
Veeky Forums please. Sage goes in the options field.

>critics post for reddit spacing
>proceeds to reddit space himself
You only had one job user.

Dumbass

>Wah, wah, wah, he doesn't like slice of slice moeblob chinktoons like me! I'll call him a dumbass to make myself feel better about my shit taste! QQ

nice blog post, did you forget your Ritalin today?

>all these people taking the bait

it's like you people enjoy being mad

reddit spacing

is not a thing.

I used once space, OP used like 5.

I'm

pretty

sure

that

it

is.

Yeah, whatever /r/faggot

Nope, formatting your post has been a thing here since it was moot's anime board. Reddit didn't invent it.

Not that I'd expect a newfag to understand that when he's in the middle of trying to look as if he belongs by hating on "those fags on that other site who are not cool like us, right guys?"

pic related

Bad beer tastes bad, good beer tastes good. People who only drink shitty cheap beer to get drunk don't represent the people who actually enjoy beer.

Shakespear was a boring author. I couldn't even finish the Merchant of Venice, he is so fucking dull. I think people just put him up on a shelf so they can pretend like they read Shakespear.

Absolutely nothing he did was interesting or groundbreaking. It was the most generic plays ever conceived, with the most dull, uninteresting, cookie cutter characters.

I think people just bought his books and watched his plays cause he said he was famous. There is nothing insightful or even interesting about his works.

I think anybody who claims to have read and enjoyed Shakespear is an irredeemable poseur who hates fantasy and just wants to ride the bandwagon.

Are you implying that the webcomic artist, whose only experience with beer, is the first beer ever offered him, might lie on the internet? How dare you!

its called DOUBLE SPACING YOU IGNORANT TWAT!!

Finish high school before interjecting your ignorant ass opinions on everything

Relax, I'm not the guy who's trying to rename double spacing "reddit spacing."

>Animu waifu picture
>Unpopular opinion about a polarizing person or idea
>This is a rapier.
>He just threw it into the water.
>And so on and so forth

>point out obvious bait thread

>bump it

You are bad at Veeky Forums. Sage next time, silly person.

>never read anything he wrote
>still claim that he didn't do anything groundbreaking
>anyone who disagrees me must be a poseur or liar
Just kill yourself retard.

That comic made me physically cringe

Read comics.
Problem solved.

> Truth
> My subjective opinion is Truth.
> LOOK MOM I TROLL'D Veeky Forums

>Look mom I bumped a troll thread
>because I'm too dumb to know how to sage

Congratulations, you have an opinion.

>mfw reading some brainfried weaboo's complaints that he struggles with any literature that is older than WW1
>mfw some dunning-kruger sufferer thinks that interest in high literature is a sham

Are you deliberately trying to prove Veeky Forums right about genrefags?

Does Veeky Forums have an actual opinion on genrefags?

The consensus is out that most genre fiction is a terrible waste of time bar a few books such as the Book of the New Sun and maybe the Memepizza Book of the Fallen if you ask one of the more lenient regulars.

They view it as mostly a genre for normies barely above video games/tv but well underneath high lit.

>posting reddixckd

I know I'm taking the bait, but I read the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, and all three LOTR books in 4th grade. Obviously they aren't so boring that a 12 year old would read through them all.

>consensus my ass
i read books for fun

Which makes you objectively the very worst kind of "reader" (I use the term loosely).

Isn't the definition of high literature largely arbitrary, though?

The swastika is an ancient symbol that has been used for millenia before the modern day. However, a group of people recently started using it and, through their actions, made it a very unsavory symbol to associate yourself with. These days in the west, if you want to be taken seriously to any degree, you should not use this symbol publicly even if you don't adhere to the ideology that it's commonly associated with, and would wish to use the symbol to express something that it represents in one of it's various other contexts.
The same is true for reddit spacing and Veeky Forums. Nine times out of ten reddit spacing is used on Veeky Forums by a redditor and it has been rightly associated with them. This was not always the case of course, but it is now. Most posters these days are newfags. Newfags don't care about history. So unless you're willing to give a history lesson every time you write a post, I'd suggest you stop posting altogether.

>words words words

All that bullshit to defend a stupid concept.

What are you doing with your life that website tribalism is worth this kind of elaborate tirade?

How does that look like?

>using terms loosely
Literally swine.

The idea that 'litfic' isn't a genre is hilarious to me.

worst for you :3

>C.S. Goto

kek

My intention wasn't to defend it. Just pointing out how things are. Why do you use double spacing? To improve the discussion by making your posts easier to read. But if the use of it has a high chance to cause off topic arguments that derail the original converstaion and decrease the quality of the discussion, then doesn't that defeat the purpose of using it?

>doesn't understand the difference between vernacular and formal language, and where and when to use them

DISGUSTING

...I'm now very intrigued about what a Katanamancer would be like.

This was one of the first results in google
reddit.com/user/KatanaMancer
Seems appropriate that reddit is the place to find a guy whose username is KatanaMancer.

Fuck off. I loved his prose.

Maybe it's like a Sword-Singer but with katanas instead of scimitars?

I'd just like to say that I, too, loved his prose, and I don't know where these complaints about it come from. (The same is true for Lovecraft, honestly, although it's a little easier for me to understand why someone might be turned off by the Weird Tales style.)

Different strokes for different folks, right? You don't like Tolkien: good for you! Go read something you do like. But please don't tell me that I'm some kind of snotty pretentious twit because I love some books that you found dull.

(Honestly, the "Tolkien was a terrible writer" thing does bother me a bit, because it implies a threshold for dullness-- lord do I ever want to put that in quotes-- that would close the complainant off from a lot of good books. If you hate Tolkien's prose, Mervyn Peake's style is going to make your head pop:

>Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls.

Yet the Gormenghast trilogy is pretty amazing, and it's a shame that some people won't read it because they hate long words, long sentences, or, for that matter, long books.)

Absolutely 100% agree with you.

This post is a chore to read because their main ideas are not separated in distinct paragraphs.

This isn't.

See, there's a small problem, you think his characters were cookie cutter, but that's because his characters where the first they were like that, he's the precursor of pretty much every fantasy you see now, his characters aren't cliche, is that everybody copied him

You basically are calling Jesus your cliche average messiah. It's a metaphore btw, I'm not calling Tolkien Jesus

>all thoseshit books
lol