Can we get a 4th ed thread going?

Best edition general, lets rember some of the old times, before the new ones, when the armies were fluffy and Nids had choices.

First for best codex!

Chaos Chosen terminators, with pets!

Nurgle chosen with chaos spawn cuddlebuddies!

GOBBO GREEN

RIP Kroot Codex. Give me my birbfrens GW.

Seems like an alright edition.

back then the fluff was really well done. Specially during 3rd edition.
4th edition began to descend into shit land during it's late mid years.

Yeah. Do we know why that happened? I was a kid atthe time and don't remember a lot. Did one of the writers leaver? The studio change things up by hiring new talent?

It's the classic problem - They were stuck in the trap of having to keep making content to make money, but their content was already good and done so anything they'd add was either redundant or bad.

You can't just release a book that's the same as the last, you need to push new models, new rules, and new reasons to spend money. Because they're a business. The lore will only grow more retarded, especially as time goes on, because of such stupid reasons.

You will never get more than a 5 piece bucket of Kroot.

They cracked that egg before it could warp.

tell me a tale of the 3.5 Ed CSM dex, anons
what beautiful fuckery could be had?

Man, there was already plenty of stuff to clean up in all the Codexes in terms of usability.

They should have released more and cheapish terrain along with skirmish rules.

Goes to show how time changes opinions.

4th ed CSM chaos was reviled for years because it came after 3.5

I think I vaguely remember this. Didn't they remove/streamline a fuckton of shit when moving to 4th?

>Mark Bedford winning Golden Daemon

INSIDER JOB

Noise Marine dreadnoughts with sonic blasters and blastmasters.

Khornate Axes that made anything better than 4+, a 4+ save.

Summoning greater daemons by having them explode out of your minor characters, and being able to give asspiring champions wargear to help them get exploded in a sea of gore.

Small blast template, rapid fire boltguns.

Rules for the Lost and the Damned that let you take them as allies.

Spells that could turn enemy heroes, even abaddon the despoiler himself, into a chaos spawn.

You posted the wrong pic user. Honest mistake , we all know the edition that brought us the fish of fury can't be the best one.

:(

Yeah the 3.5 chaos codex was overpowered as fuck. Hows were basically the tau of the day. GW rightfully nerfed it into oblivion and Chaos players have been salty ever since blaming their codex's rather than their inferior skill as players for their losses.

It wasn't about the loss of power.

It was about the shit tier options.
Generic chaos daemons.
Uninspired, uninteresting, bland, unfluffy rules.
And the total loss of several choices. EG terminators with hound pets.

>showcases encouraging conversions
>scratch built terrain tutorials
>John Blanche art

40k has lost loat some of it's character that made it fuckin sweet. Still cool though, you just have to add it in yourself, GW ain't gonna

9/11 was 16 years ago.

Too soon

All those carnifex biomorphs
>spine banks, spore cysts, bonded chitin, bonded exoskeleton, adrenal glands, poison sacs, acid maw, bioplasma, regeneration, enhanced senses

>In a few years, there will be legal adults who weren't born yet when 9/11 and taking Iraq happened
>you have lived through two wars
>older people have lived through three, even four wars
>the oldest people have lived through five wars

Armies fluffy except for IG maybe. The 4th ed book was an overpriced mess where everyone took the same doctrines.

It was when GW went public on the stock market, so anonymous investors didn't care about the hobby they just wanted kids and parents to buy things from the toy company they'd put money into.

They also cut out daemons, which sucked because this was before Allies so if you had a demon heavy army you were fucked.

>implying modern wars aren't just a means for rich men to play with their new toys, to justify having bought them and earn more money
>global geopolitics are basically a magnified version of wargames.

fuck, sweet sweet 4th ed, that's when I started 40k with chaos 3.5th
Never had better time in my TTG life than this. Dripping of fluff, options, and good rules (no true los and such)
Then 5th edition came and it was a disaster, along with the other, newer editions.
I switched to dark eldar just before their new dex came out, but then burnt out completely and sold off my 40k for good.

Only IW were broken. 9 oblits wrecked everything.
And TS, they sucked immensly.

Really unbalanced edition tbqh

>a phantomlord for not even half the points was still stronger

>best 'nettes
>never ever again

Damn I miss the one true FOC to rule them all.

Does 3rd do anything better? I honestly always felt like 4th was a straight up improvement, unlike 5th and any of those to follow, which often changed things around just for the sake of changing.

I still build my armies like this. Always have. Always will. It's a shame doing so in 8E gives no bonus over just spamming flyers or heavy slots etc.

>tfw spent 4th mostly playing 3.5ed Iron Warriors with 6 Obliterators, a jacked Daemon Prince and a Basilisk in 1000 pts
>haven't really played 40k since

Wish I could turn back time to be honest.

>each chaos god had a favored number
>if the unit number was that they received a bonus.
>lesser demons
>possessed each with different upgrade
ahhh

It's annoying that they changed it to 2 HQ 3 troops. I don't mind filling out my troop tax properly with two proper fully kitted out units, but make a third mandatory and I'll start looking for ways to cut corners.

3rd vs 4th core rules mattered way less than specific army book vs specific army book.

Still have fond (ish) memories of the rage caused by this piece of shit codex.

The comedy of my Khorne going up against Blood Angels who were straight up better in every possible way. Cheaper stronger HQ choice (chaplain), death company, free rhino to rush with said death company ... didn't they also have +1S +1I on the charge too?

Ahhh so good, remember when GW showed conversions and inspired creativity in their books instead of the same genetic pictures of the same shit over and over?

like tears in rain

>consolidate into new combat

4th edition was shit and we know OP loves fudge-packing

I always see a fuss about this and yet I don't particularly recall it happening to me once, as a Tau player for a bit of 4th,

During that time I could sling shot an entire BT army into melee.

I could walk 60 marines and utterly destroy anything back then.

So full of holes and exploits, but it's the one I started on and so I love it. I remember getting that thick black tome home, opening it up, and just being sucked into the fluff and the art.
And they even had a full set of army lists in the back!

Squadrons ruined the game. It used to be you wanted three tanks? well that was all your heavy support, fill up the rest with other stuff. kept the game feeling more small scale platoon skirmish which fit the scale and size of the table better. 7th would have been better served in a smaller scale of miniature with the amount of armour and shit on the tables.
6th was where I finally quit but playing it with earlier codex restrictions really helped the game a lot, assuming you could convince other people to play restricted lists like that.
30k and WHFB have/had fallen into the same trap.

28mm is utterly shit scale for massive battles and GW kept pushing for larger and larger forces as standard because they need to sell more and more models.

>posts the edition that began the cancer that is modern 40k