Finally a set with dinosaurs

>finally a set with dinosaurs
>ruined by proggressive left wing virtue signaling

>they're feathered

its just a girl manhandling a fruity dinosaur, the only thing you can really complain about from the leftist influence is the prude point of view of female character design and the lack of ability to tackle concepts like imperialism or colonialism without pissing people off.

>progressive left wing virtue signaling
Where?

Look how fucking bland and lazy this is.

No emotion, no struggle, no character...
The fucking dinosaur has more emotion.

I dunno why they even tried to handle that in a set. They're not going to make anyone happy no matter how they handle it. Nobody's going to say that Ixalan really hit those colonialist themes out of the park. There is no conceivable version of Ixalan that will achieve that.

>proggressive left wing virtue signaling
Because this totallynotsouthamerican person is brown or a woman?
Now that is a valid complaint

it sucks its a crappy planeswalker deck card because i really like this art. it adds something to jace's character

>except the interesting part is the Imperium of Vampires
I ain't even mad

I wish it wasn't called Castaway's Despair, it's a little bit too on the nose as a name. I'd just have called it Cast Away.

dude the fact that they're feathered made it so they can use all these wonderful colours

I think I like the Planeswalker deck Jace more than I like the one in the set. It's a shame the art is so...boring.

I genuinely felt a bit for Jace on Castaway's Despair.

>The planeswalker deck art is so much better

dafuck man

This.

right? take away the gatewatch bullshit and actually giving your characters a struggle to face? not only that but showing that on a card? ffs i bet this wasn't even done on purpose and they just luckily managed to get it right.

Jace without the gaywatch is a lot of fun. I hope we get to see sociopath wizard man again.

>Cast Away
I was sure a card with that name already existed, but no.

Speaking of which, are there any non-white vampires in this set?

Its a mixed bag, you got some knockout pieces like the dinosaur ripping the platemail off the dead vampire, but then you get dumb shit like slapping feathers on a pterodactyls membrane wing or that random neck warmer on the anklyosaur.

I made absolutely sure to look that up before posting. I was just as baffled as you.

Why can't Jace grow a beard or get a tan? Is he some kind of congenital ponce?

>slapping feathers on a pterodactyls membrane wing

Mind posting that? It sounds like it could be entertainingly retarded.

>Untap all creatures you control

That actually sounds really helpful in a Merfolk/Pirate deck for pseudo-vigilance on everything.

Fuck you feathered dinosaurs are great.

we've got three sets taking place on ixalan so let's hold out and see.
there is indeed.

Woah there friend.
Its racist to have any villian be non white.
Dont you know that all serial killers are white men? That means all bad guys have to be white and/or men.

Deplorables hate the sight of anything nonwhite in their escapist manchild hobbies.

Save that name for an actual good card.

We've seen black ones too like the flash paladin

The dinosaurs and the colonialism are actually facing the same problem. Of all the ways they could be handled, all of them will make a lot of people mad and none of them will make anyone happy. Having either in your game is a classic no-win situation.

in fact it wasn't even the first one spoiled

Debatable. I like a mix of both.

2 sets.
Explorers of Ixalan is a box set release thing.

I kind of like how they've handled the colonialism thus far actually. They made them vampires, so a lot of people will look at them and assume they're just a corrupt church. But, in the lore of the setting, they only got to being such a widespread church because they had an artifact that made vampires not have to drink blood, so it was only upsides to become one. Then it was stolen and taken to this new world, so they have an actual reason why they're sailing across the sea to it, and a valid reason as to why it wouldn't be possible for them to simply stop and go home. There were a lot of factors in real colonialism that made it unfeasible for europeans to simply stop as well, but tying it up in a magical macguffin makes it a lot easier to swallow, gives them a sympathetic reasoning, while still giving them darker angles since they are still a giant nation of vampires

But I like tanned dinosaur knight waifu... granted, she'll likely be poorly characterized, overshadowed by Jace and ultimately overlooked from a narrative standpoint, but... fuck all the politics behind her creation. Appreciate what she is, not what they want her to be, because we both know she'll fail the representation angle just like Saheeli and Samut did.

I dunno. Right now she just strikes me as "warrior Pochahontas"

At least her design seems pretty neat with the mix of feathers and metal armor

>Colors in the wind, fierce one

>jace is literally in every Ixalan basic

noo

>Kaya
>Saheli
>Samut
>Huatli

All of them are the same character. A Mary Sue that helps the good guy that belongs to a non-white minority.

Get used to this. It's going to happen in EVERY block.

Calm down, Sven.

>girls in muh mtg reeeeeeeee
And here I thought labor day weekend was the end of summer.

Kaya worked for Marchesa, and Kaya isn't even from a block, so I don't know why you even included her.

I think I'd be okay with Warrior Pocahontas, if I'm being honest.

Sven? I don't follow...

*sigh* This man speaks the truth, sadly.

I'm kinda bummed out we likely won't get any CRAZY looking gods for this set, especially considering they relegated the crazy blood religion towards the vampires. Ah well, hopefully we get some elementals with the crazy masks.

No he isn't, just in the ones done by that one artist.

And that's why it's awesome. Seriously, what's with the feathered dino hate? They look majestic.

Achtually...

Go home /pol/

>m-muh buzzwords

The only one that's come close to Sue territory is Saheeli, and she was deliberately downplayed due to fears of her seeming overly competent. Now fuck off.

It's not how dinosaurs looked in their childhood watching Jurassic Park, therefore it's bad.

If you look at the pic here it seems we'll be getting some fiery totem elemental based on that third pack.

the curly mustache makes this picture.

Oh now that's what I'm talking about, thanks user.

Yeah. I hope there are a good selection for you. Not sure if they're gonna be a subset of RG creatures or if they're gonna be artifacts or something, but they seem cool looking based on that one.

Kaya
>killed ghost king for marchesa, then poofed away. Marchsea

Saheeli
>wtf did she even do, the gatewatch/chandra did basically everything in Kaladesh

Samut
>got her child friend killed, was locked up for most of the story, couldn't stop the destruction of the gods, her people, or city.
When did any of these become mary sues

Saheeli made some thopters, clearly that makes her a Mary Sue (whatever that even means anymore).

I agree on the triceratops and pteranadons, but therapods have nearly always had feathers, and continue to this day.

I'm not sure. Personally, I only really dislike Samut because they drew her in a terrible way screaming all the time

I'd wager they'll be between the colors of the merfolk and sun empire if it isn't just an artifact one-of.

They aren't the same person, personality wise they are at least somewhat distinct. However you are right in that they are the results of tokenism.

I would have been fine with it if they had said it to go with the 'feathered serpent' idea, but instead they had to bring science into it while simultaneously giving something that isn't even technically a dinosaur feathers.

>Pre-Columbian peoples having steel armor
The dickheads at WoTC read that shitty guns germs and steel book.

>STAP

Yeah, I remember the good old days of pre-Columbian peoples fighting vampires and mermen with their dinosaur armies.

Not a single human native will be shown in pain or as a corpse

I mean, they also presumably have healing magic, and none of the invading factions seem to have any guns either.

If you wanted a historically accurate depiction of colonialism, you could always read a book.

mary sue means whatever a /pol/nig wants it to so they can justify their fear of fictional pussy

Sven is a popular name in Sweden. Sweden is one of the countries suffering the most from left wing agendas. Such as immigrants overrunning it. Its typically considered a "cucked country"

I recommend 1491. It gives a great depiction of life pre-colonialism

they are being invaded by other more advanced civs they got it from them. And its not earth

Well, I'm am Americunt, so...

Because they're a token effort to please paleontologyfags, and there's no pleasing them so you shouldn't even bothrt trying. Even if you do months of research and create a speculative model of a dinosaur that accords with all the current theories, the current theories will change in three months and you'll be just as wrong as if you'd never tried.

user, this jace is unplayable trash. please don't delude yourself

>planes based on non-white countries have non-whites. Some of them even have minor story signifigance.

GASP

The fiends! They've been doing this degeneracy since Rabiah! Truly the evangelical southern Baptist mothers were right, this IS the devil's card game.

its not a 1:1 mirror of mesoamerica culture, otherwise you'd have human sacrifice and flaying, hip ball, kidnapping, etc.

Or you could be more sensible, and realize it's mainly a nod to feathered serpents, which are a super common motif in Mesoamerican cultures.

The actual good news is that now it won't be the one non-Gatewatch planeswalker per block, since in addition to her there's also Vraska and another Red pirate planeswalker we haven't seen yet, along with the possibility of another in the second set.

It's amazing how not being forced to cram 5 planeswalkers into each set gives you more options

I disagree that all of them are each a Mary Sue. Kaya is just kinda edgy in the nothing personnel kinda way. Saheeli is literally worthless and her and Rashmi could have been the same person (see also Oviya Pashiri), Samut is the literal worst and contributes nothing to the story, see also Djeru, and Huatli we don't know anything about yet.

But yeah they're all the 'new planeswalker to fill the token box'. If I was Indian, Egyptian, Central American, or a gangbanger, I'd be pretty patronized, honestly.

They're feathering ones that never had feathers, and giving them stupid macau feathets to boot is what! If you're going for paleoaccuracy actually do it!

Except the designers for the dinosaurs of ixalan have taken every chance they can to say "yeah we put feathers on our dinos because SCIENCE".

You're not though, and there are plenty of people out there who like to be represented in the stuff they like. You can call it tokenism, but the fact is that they do this partially because there are people out there who appreciate it and don't feel patronized at all.

Why is /pol/ allowed to shit every board with their paranoia about "muuuuuh joooooos" and "muuuuh liberals?

Just go back to your cotainment board and shitpost with your friends.

I guarantee you aren't either, so you're talking out of your ass.

Nobody mentioned Jews, user.

Although did nobody notice that Hour of Devastation is a really warped version of the book of Exodus with absolutely no Jews in it?

I don't get it. How exactly does a person with the power to travel the multiverse get trapped on an island?

I know they'd never do it because they'd get so much shit for it, but including some of the darker shit that the Aztec in particular did would be metal as fuck.

I don't even see the pirates in Ixalan do anything particularly bad. What the hell? A people defined by violent robbery and bloodshed, and they seem to be just as blandly well-behaved as everyone else. Where's the terror? Where's the dead merfolk tied to the prow as a figurehead? Where's the laughing pirate skeletons hoisting sails sewn from their own skins? I bet these guys don't even drink.

Losing to Bolas drove him insane. He probably doesn't even know what a planeswalker is anymore.

There's an unidentified source of disruption on the plane preventing him from planeswalking. The red pirate's hellbent on burning down the whole plane to find it.

No, I'm talking from experience, both from talking with people about media representation in general and Magic in particular. All it would take for you is a quick trip to Maro's blog to see people thanking Maro about these kinds of things.

You're pretty clearly speaking from a position of someone for whom this kind of representation doesn't apply, and so you immediately jump to the assumption that nobody must like this kind of representation.

He;s forgotten how to planeswalk, which you'd probably have figured out if you'd been keeping up.

by losing your memory and not knowing you can do so in the first place. He'll planewalk again when Ajani finds him and beats some sense into him.

I assume that planeswalker is Angrath?

These aren't Mary Sues, dumbass. Shallow and undeveloped characters, sure, but not Mary Sues.

Don't get me wrong, I really don't like Samut at all. But it's not because I give a shit about minority representation, it's because she's not a remotely compelling character. If these one-off characters are going to be a recurring trend, I'd prefer for them to at least be unique in a way only Magic can make them unique. Make Samut a doggo planeswalker instead. Give Kaladesh an Aetherborn planeswalker. I really don't care, as long as it's something new. Hell, just give a human planeswalker an interesting outlook, or write them as well as, say, Ob Nixilis was, and I'd be happy. But if they're not going to contribute to the overarching main plot in a believable way, and neither is their plane, then I'd rather they not fucking bother.

We don't want to offend any pirates

You don't score any points for representing fictional groups. That's why the crews on Star Trek have almost no aliens in them despite allegedly being set in a cosmopolitan, egalitarian federation comprised of dozens of species.

>There's a girl character
LEFT WING TRASH
How mad were you about Akroma back in the day?
>Dislikes feathered dinosaurs
Fuck you. I'll fight you bitch

they've show none instance each of arson, kidnapping and of the plank walk, but yeah its pretty damn tame.

I've yet to have the history of the jews blackwashed, so perhaps you may be onto something there, but people thanking Maro doesn't really prove anything. Fans will be fans will be fans, and I'm tempted to just cry vocal minority.

>Where's the dead merfolk tied to the prow as a figurehead? Where's the laughing pirate skeletons hoisting sails sewn from their own skins?

Woah there user, it's not the year 2000 here; Magic can't get away with absolutely fucking rad shit like this anymore

The main problem stems from how Magic stories are structured. The defense of these characters being one-note token character is that they can theoretically show up again in a "Return to _____" set. So all of these PWs are written not to develop them as characters but to establish their "brand" for possible future stories. Which leaves nearly every character in the modern era of Magic extremely underdeveloped, with the idea that the continuous story may eventually revisit them and maybe flesh them out at some uncertain point in the future.

But I don't think the solution to that is to make a character a dog person, as though that would somehow make them interesting.