WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Reinforcements are en route
youtube.com/watch?v=UID6LEzvRRo

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
hobbytitan.com/warhammer-40k-bits-horus-heresy-cataphractii-terminators-shoulder-pads-x10/
silo41.co.uk/2013/12/29/warsculpting-sculpting-nurgle/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What could I do to make my primaris psyker more psykery? I plan on replacing the chainsword with the book staff but I'm not sure what to do beyond that.

Isn't the Imperium hugely against mutation?

Like a 3rd arm is a murder it while its an infant tier offense?

Eh, gotta pay the tithe somehow.

A while ago I had a small Red Corsairs force and I had a pretty meh looking red corsairs daemon prince that I stripped, converted, and painted to fit more into my DG force. Tried some new techniques with this one like the dripping slime and such. The skin is a bit more messy than I wanted it to be and it sort of blends more into the armour of my DG more than I wanted it to but oh well. Critiques appreciated.

Reeeeeeeeeee!

What colour should I paint all the lenses? Red is a spot colour already, go with it anyway?

I HAD THAT A TOY OF THAT GUY AS A KID

Ah, nostalgia

Finnished thicc captain the other day, sorry for the bad colour correction. C&C please.

Well, I put in my order of Knights of the Realm from TMS (link below), I got them and assembled. Very well done and detailed, my only complaint is that 1. The resin they use is very hard to glue together and stick... and 2. the poses and fit for the pieces isn't really exact. I'll post a few pics so you guys can see. A lot of the mini's seem off balance. But otherwise the quality of the sculpting and materials are top notch.

tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age

Bright orange? Or tie it together with red again.

Post what you are working on right now!

The oh yea and small complaint...the knight's flag is a tad small compared to the GW unit's flag

Just been experimenting with colours and techniques on some spare Primaris parts. I like the way the grey on the leg is turning out, so I'm thinking of painting the remained up as Revilers, or as a snowflake OC chapter with that as part of the scheme. I also found out that just doing a wash or two of Casandora Yellow over a white basecoat gives a pretty nice bright yellow, so maybe I'll try work that in there too.

The barding though on the horses is crazy detailed. If you look closely, there's a decent amount of flash on them, so tomorrow I"ll be shaving and priming.

Just finished my Cypher. One of my best models IMO. I think it came out pretty great.

Hey guys! Saw a picture online and was inspired to try and make my own version. Still working on it obviously, need to get more than just one color of green. What do you guys think?

These look ok but the details look sort of board game-ish. Be interested to see them painted

what did you use to make the yellow drool?

Your phoneposting sin is not forgotten user

He looks good though

not a fan of how the raised sword pose came out, I may pluck the sword arm off and just give him a couched lance.

Cloak looks a bit thicc both paintwise and highlightwise but overall pretty slick! Armor and face look good

I super glued some fishing wire to the mouth then added a droplet of superglue to the end and when it dried I painted two layers of Nurgle's Rot. First time doing it but I thought it turned out pretty good.

ehh I'd say they're far above board game quality to me..

What do you all think? What color should I prime them with? I was thinking Grey..? Because I want them to sort or "pop" and have a brighter look. If I do prime grey, should I finish with a dip in dark ink wash to fill in any gaps that I miss, so it will cover up any grey showing through?

I have a bunch of plastic cataphractii for my CSM terminators, and I just got in the FW power axe upgrade set for them. The problem is that they didn't come with the upper shoulder pad, and I already used the set mine came with for lightning claws since they're magnetized. Where the hell can I get just the upper pad?

You mean these? hobbytitan.com/warhammer-40k-bits-horus-heresy-cataphractii-terminators-shoulder-pads-x10/

Looks promising, mate. Maybe toss in some corrupted Buddhist jewelry/ornaments. The face looks good--bigger earlobes maybe. Keep us updated

Nurgle conversion greenstuff aspies are the worst cunts

Show us ur sick greenstuff conversions bic boi.

I like the sword and the gage on the back a lot. Cool. Some parts could be thinned a bit though or have a little bit more detail.

How it came out of the box

Thanks man! Im glad you like it. I hope i can get away with saying he has the talons (even though he has tiny baby hands)

Alright, just wondering, what army do you play?

How big are these? What is the scale? I've been considering doing Bretonians for a while now, and these seem like they might be what I need.

They're pretty much on scale with the GW knights. I think that's 28mm?? Not sure on the number, but they are roughly the same size of GW's knights of the realm.

Yes, though those are currently unavailable

big mek I'm owrking on. he's done now but I've lost my camera somewhere

Finished this guy minus backpack

I post this fucker a few days ago and all of a sudden your convert your RC's into DG and i see your pic here.

Get an original idea man.

>Inb4 shit paint jobs

There are a ton of people starting DG right now because of Dark Imperium and such, user. Coincidence is a possibility, or he thought your DP was cool and took inspiration. Take that stick out of your ass.

That's awesome. I do have some gripes though.The dilapidation of the bronze/copper needs to be a bit more clean with some more depth, the highlighting on the sword hand is kind of thick and unnecessary at the palm, the shadow lining of the kneecap tongue could work but only on the right hand side instead of on the inset as well. The bottom tongue is outlined but the flesh above it isn't or couldn't be so it's a bit offsetting. Instead maybe smear marks and puss that has been oozing from above. The horns could use vertical line work of a lighter bone. The armor in general would benefit from a bit of ooze. From the cracks in the shoulders to the wrists and inner ankle/feet. Maybe some traditional rust effect on the blade?

It's a great paintjob, everything is thinned and solid. Only reason I can make half of these complaints is the clarity of the picture. From above and a foot away it'd probably look perfect.

Fair, but im chaos though. Us whining is our schtick...

Deathguard is the flavour of the month. Super easy to paint, super cheap and people want a new army for 8th edition

Thanks for the tips mate! I'll work on them moving forward in the army

What is a good tyranid paint scheme for speed painting a lot of them in a very short period of time?

>tfw heavy into Night Lords
>love my shittiest legion
>often think about going Red Corsairs instead
Makes me sad and conflicted

The Dunc actually had a speed painting bit for nids

Fuck yeah it did

>playing tyranids

Nids and Eldar are the next armies so get ready to see more

Iron within, my dude

>That color scheme
Aesthetic as fuck, I love it

The armor and sword could use another layer of highlighting

>wanting to be associated with the whiners of chaos and shitposters like cheetahfag or Carnac when you can instead improve the image of Chaos by showing there are good people among us that strive to be ideal 40k players
Please change your ways.

I am converting up a hellbrute for my World Eaters and I wanted it to be more demon and less engine. I'm using a spare khorgorath model. I changed the skull for one from the new skull box, and I gave him a spine whip for a scourge. I think I'm going to sculpt some armor plates on him too. Not sure what else I could do.

Looks cool, but more Daemon Prince than Helbrute.

How hard would it be to cut and bash together SoS torsos and Daemonette legs (and vice versa)?

still WIP. I don't know why but it doesn't feel right.
Critique please.

Not to bad really, at least not if you are decent with green stuff. A simple fix would to be to use tabards to cover up the joint i would think.

The big pustule on the front left, and all the ones like it, seem kind of not-real. They neither blend into the metal of the tank, nor do they seem to burst out on their own. Kinda slapped on.

Even though you've weathered it, highlights could help. Do a mix of white and green, get it on your brush, then kinda put a lot of it onto your paper towels like you're gonna drybrush. Edge highlight like that, in a subtle way.

Then do one more on the very edges with bright white so it'll pop.

Wash the crevices and the areas where flesh meets hull really heavily so they look dark and mushed together.

That's all I got. Honestly it looks pretty darn good, gotta love the church on the base I mean the bell on the top.

Has anyone ever used anything from Shapeways? They have a bunch of cool shit, though I'm a little leery on 3d printing.

A lot of details still seem untouched, such as hinges on the top opening and bolt gun. Could also use some highlights on raised edges.

Anyone got a size comparison photo for the old Slaanesh Boobsnake vs... something more common?

Hey tg, stripped the paint off of my test sister and gave it another go with a slightly different color scheme. I'm still really new to this, so I know I have a lot of room to improve, and I would be very grateful for any advice or feedback ro critique you could give me.

Last time I posted I was told to thin my paints and watch duncan. I thinned my paints this time, and I've watched some duncan videos, but I admit I don't really understand what he's talking about other than thinning the paints and applying multiple coats. No idea how to highlight, but I tried. Sort of.

Anyway here is the front.

>Has anyone ever used anything from Shapeways?
I have. I purchased some starcraft marines and space marine weapons from shapeways when it was still rather new, and they come in rather nice quality with a rather okay material durability, though I personally.

However, you HAVE to get the highest quality available, increasing costs, and I also highly suggest you cast it in greenstuff/ magic sculp/ milliput in order to make it more painting and detail work friendly.

TL;DR 3D printed parts are great if you can put in the extra cleanup and casting work to make them truly shine. Just plopping the parts on will make them look out of place because material quality is still distinctly different to GW's plastic.

And the back. Shit, she's sideways.

Hrm. That's a little off-putting. I've never done recasting personally, and idk that I'd trust myself to do so. It just seems so daunting of a task with a very shitty time time to product ratio.

Thank you.

I'll try to blend in the fleshy parts a bit more and add some edge highlighting.

Yeah, sorry, but that's just how it is. The highest quality material from shapeways is Frosted Ultra Detail, which I got when I bought those starcraft marines, and while some of their parts were really smooth, some still had a sort of super fine sand-papery texture to them, which look really bad if painted without loads of prep work.

I'd really only suggest Shapeways parts for the truly dedicated and advanced hobbyists.

are those necron guns?

Any one got a hook up for geedub recasters? Think making a bane blade would be fun as hell but not at GW prices.

Google and check the yoyhammer ribbit.

Follow their guidelines.

Enjoy your cheaper warhams.

would you say it's more or less work than FW stuff? I want some fancy Breacher shields and prefer a custom design on shapeways, but I just don't have the time to learn casting as well. If it can e solved with some sanding or polishing, I can live with that.

See, you've fallen into a trap that many people do when sculpting Nurgle. You simply add random shapes and weird blobs here and there.
See, nurgle is decay, disease and rotten things. This can manifest in a huge variety of ways. Just look at how some growths and diseases affects us in real life, and then add in the warp-fuckery on that and you have yourself something really disgusting.

your piece, sadly, does not read like that. All I see is a layer of greenstuff applied to attempt to emulate boils and growths, without really knowing how they're supposed to look or how different they can look. The heads added in are quite the nice touch, but it just comes off as lazy in the end.

silo41.co.uk/2013/12/29/warsculpting-sculpting-nurgle/
that one has some helping tools which I hope will aid you - and one thing that does work, but is quite disgusting and completely understandable if you do not wish to do it, is to Google various diseases, boils and rotten things for inspiration.

user, I've asked you this in two threads before, but I really wanna know how you painted that sweet, sweet armor!

yeah, your "OG IDEA" is not terribly new, user.
that head has been used multiple times before this picture was shown as a Daemon-prince head.

and even if he did "steal your idea", why should that matter? aren't you happy, in that case, that something you did inspired another user to do something?

absolutely shit paintjob and bad greestuff

No contact info there sadly.

Thread, how do I drill and cut battle damage on tank?

Sorry mate haven't seen them, it's just rakarth flesh > 50/50 sepia / medium wash > rakarth flesh highlight > pallid wych highlight, pretty easy!

thanks, bud!

Painting up my artillery.

kys

> WIP is stupid why am I here?
I'm not sure user.

Pay me. What do you want, CCON, Alpharius or Z?

Didn't Eisenhorn to go to a mutie bar where some chick with eyes on her tongue and a shit ton of arms wanted to give him the succ?

Anyway, a lot of shitty work in the Imperium is done by mutants, and persecuting them is all fine and dandy, only exception being some higher ups saying "Stop fucking killing my work force you cunts!" The standards of when to put them down varies from planet to planet and cult to cult.

If you're not going to cast them, working with them is more work than Forge World. The Frosted Ultra Detail highest quality material is really, really rigid stuff.

Everything else on the other hand starts getting that whole ribbed surface problem you see from cheaper 3D printers.

I want to see whats on offer.

Get the fuck out of /wip/, you whiny piece of shit.

Needsto be dirtier and more highlighter.

The sculpted detail is not smooth on the edges, looks glued on.

Bright green would look good in your case

You mean a catalog?

Winter Skaven Guy from a few weeks back, almost done with my first Stormfiend. They are a blast to paint so far !

>Falling for the lure of Tzeentch.
Stay with Papa Nurgle, the Lord of Decay and stagnation ya'll!

horrible paintjob and very bad greenstuff, fucking fingerprints on the stomach lmao

Yes, those are Gauss Blasters from the Necron Immortals with different tubes connecting to the back.

>5312x2988