media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
dnd.rem.uz/5e D&D Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
Do dinosaurs exist in your setting? Are they secluded to a "lost world" trope island or are they accepted as "normal" creatures?

Other urls found in this thread:

dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class?sb=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fucking hell. The previous thread got archived literally seconds before I could post the link.

they're Yuan-Ti war-beasts, obiously.

Question for anyone who has used Mercer's Blood Hunter class, if you are a Profane Soul Blood Hunter and multiclass into Warlock what is your spellcasting modifier for your spells?

>There's nothing wrong with picking humanoids, it was changed to be that way so you didn't pick Orcs then get shafted when your DM never introduces Orcs into their game. It's a defining class trait it's supposed to be useful without you having to pry info out of the DAM at level 1
One of the things I like about the Revised Ranger is that there's an escalation scale to favored enemies.
That way you don't have a guy with Aberrations for favored enemies and his feature just ends up monstrously useless till it reaches higher levels of play.

Any speculations on which UA subclasses will make it into Xanathar's?

>Do dinosaurs exist in your setting? Are they secluded to a "lost world" trope island or are they accepted as "normal" creatures?
They're a rarity and are usually found in vast, hot jungles where men rarely dare to tread.
Had a bunch of kobolds manage to tame some dromaesaurids at one point to use against player characters. The players all thought it was a really cool encounter.

Wisdom for your Profane Soul spells and Charisma for your Warlock spells

It's like playing an Eldritch Knight and a Ranger mĂșlticlass

Yeah I think the scaled choices were a great idea. No pressure to pick dragons or abberations early on like you said

Overall I think Revised Ranger is one of the best UAs they've put out

Lore wizard. :^)

Even with this wording?

Requesting lost artifacts of greyghast

The loss of favored terrain in favor of some very powerful general outdoor boosts kind of makes it OP in my opinion, but otherwise it's solid.
But I have no problems with the base PHB ranger.... I have one player using it in my group and I offered the Revised one to him but he declined, and he's still quite an efficient martial.

What's an enemy you want to throw at your party, but haven't yet?

I'm building a dungeon entirely around the fact that I want my players to fight one of these

PHB Ranger is fine for the Hunter Archetype, but Beastmaster was pretty lame. You're basically a Pokemon trainer who sits in the background shouting commands instead of fighting.

I think the powerbump in UA just makes the Ranger less reliant on knowing what kind of campaign it's going to be.

wtf is this convoluted garbage

I'm hoping stone sorcerer, hexblade, kensei, and arcane archer get in

I hope knight will in some form, but it probably won't. Fucking cavalier is confirmed though. Literally worse battlemaster.

I know right, I'm trying to make sense of it.

Do you keep your Warlock Spells and Blood Hunter spells? What about cantrips? Are these separate spell list?

Comically enough I have a PHB Beast Master ranger in the party too (she really wanted a fighting spider and I wasn't giving her one free so...) and she just... fights, and the spider hangs in the back or gets hit and does nothing.

My party has gotten themselves into some pretty hot water. What do you do when different players in one session, piss off an ancient red dragon by breaking a contract, hide truth in court, expose truth in court and humiliate another player, run drugs for criminal organization but it was actually the exchange of a powerful artifact, be hunt down by the same criminal organization, go to meet a contact who would help them along their way but end up pissing him off and then eventually killing and burning down his home (there's also enough information to start an investigation on this). The party is probably on their way to fucking killing eachother soon and they haven't even gotten to act 4 of Storm King's Thunder.
What the fuck do I do? A group of them are planning to kill the druid who has broken his contract with a dragon and also spilled every secret the party had in court. The wizard is thinking of bolting. Two new PCs just want to hunt down giants for her Homeland and probe himself to his master.
They all have reasoning to continue hunting and dealing with the Giants they've just all gotten in to hot shit.

Never played before.
Can I play a coward of noble family (a rich, spoiled boy) and not be That Guy?

Noble background bruh

Depends, what would you be doing if there's a fight? Remember, the party need a reason to keep you around when they're adventuring

I did something similar when I played PHB Beastmaster, but I made myself a Halfling so I could at least ride the Spider and get some ranged advantage from it's Climb speed

I reckon Kensei will, they decided to revise it after all
Maybe if they nerf it a bit

As long as you aren't going against what the party wants to do, you're fine.

Any archetype can be "That Guy" depending on the group. Playing a lawful good paladin will probably end up as one if your party decides they want to do an evil campaign

But remember, if you aren't going to be fighting, your party will leave you. Why would that character join a group of adventurers, what ties him to the party, and how will they act in battle?

If you're skittish in social encounters then it's probably fine, but if your group is getting it's ass kicked and you run away or freeze up, you are officially That Guy. Just be the guy that charges into battle cowering, with tears flying out everywhere as you wildly swing your weapon at the baddies.

in an evil campaign, what class/specialization should I go for if my character's goal is a small domain of isolation from anyone different than himself, populated by either constructs or beings totally loyal and in agreement with him?

TPK and start over.

Alternatively, go totally off the SKT rails and make your own campaign.

>constructs
artificer
>beings totally loyal and in agreement
necromancer

Seems like fun.

I'm thinking about it, but jesus. It's also sad when they all seem to be having a good time. Also they all want to continue dealing with giants for their own reasons so I don't want to just end it.

What dip should I take to make sorcerer better?

Warlock 2 + agonizing meme invocation to get the best attacking cantrip, and also whichever other invocation seems attractive to you

Honest answer?
See if the DM will let you use the spellpoints variable.

Otherwise quick casting.

>read through the start
>it's literally a Witcher ripoff
wew
also, any place you can get that shit for free?

Dip into acid bath, should yield good results

His motivation is making a name from himself, so he will fight if needed. He'll be an archer too, so I have an excuse to shoot arrows from afar.

As long as he doesn't go against what the party wants to do, you're good.

dmsguild.com/product/170777/Blood-Hunter-Class?sb=1

Still trying to understand this whole spellcasting thing. Why would this class give the warlock more cantrips but not spells known? Also what spellcasting stat are you using are they still separate spell list?

>it's literally a Witcher ripoff
That's literally what it was made to be sooo

Oh I never noticed it's pay what you want
well yeah, I noticed that

warlock gets you laser spam, wizard rituals and short rest spell slots to turn into SP so you can spam lasers better

paladin make you a gish

bard barely effect your spell progression but gets you some cool utility for when you aren't casting but I'm not sure if the bard list really wants anything from the sorcerer one

If you want to be really cheesy you could do paladin 5/hexblade 5/sorcerer X and roll all the dice in one round of nova but that's probably not actually a good idea

How would stat addiction/withdrawls? One of my players wants to play a struggling cannibal, who keeps his urges down with alchohol. Im gonna have him roll a wis save every morning to determine if he has urges or not, but how should I stat the human meat withdrawls. I want it to be different than the poisoned status that ill be using for drunkeness

On a tickle of a thought, I figured it would be fun to try converting several Pokemon into monsters, imagining that in a fantastic world, they'd make for more fun fights than mundane beasts. But then on a cursory google search, I found someone had already made the whole Kanto pokedex.

imgur.com/a/eOFsi

Is anyone familiar with it and have any thoughts? If I tackle a similar project myself I'd want to try and fix any faults in this one.

Has anyone ever tried to blend Pokemon and DND in any sense?

What's the best school for buffing allies? Transmutation?

My character had twins: one is a dexy EK the other is a wizard, I thought it would be cute for them to have a very complimentary style of fighting.

Can you justify a sorcerer/wizard fluff wise?

Very easily. Guy has inborn magical ability and can draw on it like a sorceror, but also pursues magic academically and can cast some stuff through sheer practice and mastery.

Someone who discovers their innate magical talents and then devotes their life to studying the arcane in order to master them?

Pretty easily, guy found out he as ancestry and went to on to study genealogy in order to try and uncover more of his power.

personally I don't give a damn about the fluff though, only if the character is fun to play, and a sorc/wiz multiclass is going to be super hard to pull off due to how MAD it is.

Are you just dipping sorc for metamagic or something?

WIS save for mental addiction, CON save for physical addiction.

>Symptoms may include headaches, nausea, tremors, anxiety, hallucinations, and seizures.

Seems to me like the poisoned condition would work, but if you want it to be different, give him disadvantage on Wisdom and Charisma checks. If it gets really severe, give him CON saves to see if he literally starts dying from withdrawal.

Transmutation for the stat altering stuff (bull's strength, Cat's Grace, Eagle's Dick), Abjuration for Protection buffs (from Energy, or Alignments), Divination for detection buffs (True Sight and the like).

>a sorc/wiz multiclass is going to be super hard to pull off due to how MAD it is.
You need what, 3 stats? And that assumes you want equally good INT and CHA instead of using one of your classes for all the support stuff that doesnt really care about rolling dice?

You already need 3 stats to be a good wizard:
INT, DEX, CON

Then if you go sorc you're going to need CHA for most things (attack rolls, saving throw DCs)

What if they only used utility spells as a Wizard? They pump CHA for their attack and saving throw spells, but choose Wizard spells that are just as effective with 20 INT or 2.

And if they choose Stone Sorcerer, DEX is less important because you get unarmored defense from CON, if I remember right.

with point buy a half elf can do 8/12/12/16/12/16, assuming you even need both casting stats maxed out and don't settle for 14 int or something and just use stuff that doesn't need numbers

>multiclassing with UA

if that's alllowed you have no reason to not go favored soul instead so you can be a mystic theurge wannabe

Why would you dump int and take more sorc? Sorc is a weak class, and 1-2 levels of wiz aren't going to do much for you

For a paladin/sorcerer, what class should I start with?

Paladin gives more health, better armor profs and better saving throws.

Am I missing something, or do you have no reason to use attack cantrips over just using a bow?

con save is the single most important save for someone who wants to cast spells and also be in melee

user, just for starters, it's extremely likely that your casting stat is better than your dex.

Casting stat is better. Cantrips can have varied effects. Eldritch Blast, for example, is way fucking better than just shooting something with a bow. Look at how they scale.

>
>Eldritch Blast, for example, is way fucking better than just shooting something with a bow. Look at how they scale.

That's true, but eldritch blast is the best attack cantrip in the game. How does shooting a crossbow compare to fire bolt? I remember seeing stats a while back that crossbows were better for wizards until level 5.

dex is the best stat in the game and any caster is going to have a dex bonus that has a bonus +1-2 lower than their casting one because of this. because of bonded accuracy I feel like being able to add stat to damage instead of just purely rolling a dice makes it pretty even if not superior

eldritch blast is the exception that's obviously way better than every other cantrip because it's half the warlock class

It depends. if you have something like extra attack or sneak attack then a bow is probably going to be better but if you're wondering if you should shoot a crossbow or cast a cantrip as a full caster than the answer is probably "just cast your spells"

What's the most gracious way of letting go of my group? I don't want to just straight up leave without saying anything.

How about If it said this...

"If multiclassing Order of the Profane Soul with Warlock levels, add a third of your blood hunter levels (rounded down) to your Warlock level and consult the Warlock progression table (page 106 of the PHB) for total Spell Slots and Spell Slot Level."

>Eagle's Dick
I wish my Transmutation Wizard would use that on me more often.

how do I make a macro on roll20 for bardic inspiration?

Does the spell shatter break weapons and armor?

what does the spell say?

"A non magical object that isn't being worn or carried also takes the damage if it's in the spell's area."
Take it as you wish

If it's not being held or worn it is, so if you disarm them of the weapon first then yes.

>Transmutation for the stat altering stuff

This touches one of my biggest gripes with 5E - Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength and the rest of the stat-enhancing spells being moved to sorcerers. Everything about them screams wizard, not sorcerer - the bookish mage thinking "I might have to lift some heavy shit/make my bodyguard fighter even stronger".

Is it magical? Then no.
Is it being worn? Then no.
Is it being carried? Then no.

Cat's Grace? Bull's Strength? What?

DMing a campaign that blends together Castlevania, Ravenloft, Innistrad and a few other similar settings to create my own home brewed setting. The first session was amazing.

>Be me
>Have a younger brother that loves playing fighters
>Know the brother loves anything to do with longswords, being the definition of a sword and board fanatic
>Create a longsword that gets a +2 to Attack vs Any creature with flesh.
>Make the longsword cursed. It always thirsts for blood
>Watch as brother grabs the cursed sword and immediately begins to feed it the blood of enemies
>Keep track of how much blood the sword drinks
>Once the sword has been used for 20 attacks, have it awakened
>Watch brother's reaction as he fails Wisdom Save after Wisdom Save and attacks the party members
>Laugh as the party is forced to knock brother out
>Remember how the bastard ate your last slice of birthday cake on July 24th, when you turned 29
>Revenge finally achieved
>Later regret being so immature

All the stat-buffing wizard shit (some of which that's been around since the first edition, like Strength) was turned into Enhance Ability in 5E - and it's only in the sorcerer spell list.

Would you guys count flipping over a small table to create improvised partial cover an acceptable object interaction on a turn, or would you make a player make an action for that?

This discussion has ground our Saturday game to a halt for nearly twenty minutes now and I figured I'd get a second opinion while the player and the DM are arguing.

Athletics check, on a success it's object interaction, on a failure it's an action.

Object interaction. Also,
>Spell decks
Does anyone even actually use those?

Definitely a full action.

I see them all the time at games that are run in game stores, mostly because they're on-hand.

Had a guy I play with use them for a while, until we kept finding error after error on the cards. Honestly, they're shittily made.

What's the best way to make the DMG archaic firearms a valid but not overpowering choice for martials?

Object interaction, just so the combat feels a bit more lively and chaotic.

By using them as written

As written, the only class they make sense for is Beastmaster Ranger. Every other martial class has to give up a whole attack for +1/+2 damage. Should I make a firearms version of the Crossbow Master Feat?

use crossbow stats verbatim and just refluff that its a firearm

What page are the rules on resting and exhaustion in? If you don't sleep what happens?

They're still too strong as written, a pistol is 1d10 onehanded while a handcrossbow is 1d4. that's a +3 average.

4 attacks with pistol on average.
(6*4)+20 = 44

5 attacks with crossbow
(3*5)+25 = 40

Resting rules are on page 186, exhaustion is in Appendix A.

Why the fuck would a hand crossbow do as much as a pistol?

As written, they have the loading property, which can't be ignored. Your numbers should be:

1 attack with a pistol

(6*1)+20 =26

5 attacks with crossbow
(3*5)+25 = 40

Because a hand crossbow is already a super strong choice and making a pistol even stronger would be making things too strong?

The only way for hand crossbows to average out more damage is with Sharpshooter, assuming all shots hit.

>dragon

Okay so from what I can see in those two areas there are no rules on having to sleep. So can a character not sleep and have no I'll effects from it?

Gee I'm sure excited for monday's UA.

Can't wait for Personal Hygiene rules.

I believe non-elves have to sleep to gain the benefits of a long rest

Am I That DM if I challenge the idea that a player has seen a dinosaur in order to wild shape into it? I tell him sure, mechanically you can, but are you really likely to have seen an extinct animal to wild shape into it?