MTG modern general

Thalia is CUTE edition
>playing
>hating
>brewing

>thread q

What mechanic would you bring back from leagacy/vintage into standard/modern and why? i woud personally pick threshold, that seems like a interesting mechanic to mess with

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-28-tix-nevermore-modern
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gplil16/deck-tech-its-a-ponza-scheme-2016-08-28
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/burn-deck-constructing/
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-abzan#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-08-17-IeQ-boros-burn/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Ponza.

Second for Ponza too, fuck it.

So after realising that Knightfall is the king of midrange decks and getting swept by unfair decks at my LGS, I've decided to mainboard 3 Geist of Saint Traft. God he shits all over everyone's dicks when they aren't playing fair.

missed the thread change.

I'm building a deck with the archaeomancer and peel from reality combo and was wondering how the interaction changes when i place a dismiss into dream on the battlefield. do i get back my archaemancer while the opponents creature is exiled or does peel from reality fizzles

LOL

I wouldn't think it would fizzle since it still has a legal target in your Archaeomancer.

You still get your archaeomancer back since it is still a legal target. A spell that targets is only countered if all of the things it is targeting become illegal

Finally it's worth more than cardboard.

>People are actually falling for this meme

What the hell is an unfair deck that doesn't beat a 4 turn clock on turn 3?

With Noble Hierarch it's a 3 turn clock on turn 2. And the deck runs Spell Queller as disruption.

Yeah point still stands.

what do you all think of UW control as an archetype?

I keep wanting to add red for Lightning Bolt and Lightning Helix
But I also really enjoy keeping decks two colors.
I like a build with Restoration Angel much more than Geist of Saint Traft. The deck is more like midrange tempo once you start building around Geist of Saint Traft.

I'm happy that Modern has a popular control deck again, but also somewhat disappointed that it happened on the backs of a bunch of powerful Planeswalkers and not a counterspell reprint or something a bit more traditional.

4 Gurmag Angler
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Tombstalker

3 Duress
3 Blackmail
2 Wrench Mind

4 Sign in Blood
4 Succumb to Temptation

4 Smallpox
4 Dismember
3 Mutilate

23 Swamp

3 Hex Parasite
3 Bile Blight
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Corrupt
2 Haunting Echoes
2 Lost Legacy

new meta buster boys

I'm prone to punting and need to git gud. Should I force myself to play a hard deck to make me learn from my mistakes, or find a deck that is forgiving of mistakes.
I don't want to spend a lot. Could I use this deck to try to dissect things? I already have the non-budget lands, so I don't need to downgrade the manabase. Unfortunately I have no plans of buying Chalice because 1) Chalice is degenerative 2) it's really expensive 3) I want to git gud. 3 also applies to Leyline of Sanctity.
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-98-28-tix-nevermore-modern

Any other deck suggestions?

>playing
Bant Spirits. Getting retired soon. Spellqueller can't hit anything worth it in my meta.

>hating
The increase of green rampy stuff for reasons above.

>brewing
Counters Company to feel more competitive and recycle some CoCo and Nobles. Skred to play Chandra, Waifu of Defiance.

Anyone playing the above or willing to give me some insight?

What are some cards in Jund/Junk to hate on Valakut?

I warned you about the price spikes bro

Fulminator Mage
Avalanche Riders
Aven Mindcensor

One day we'll get a lost legacy type card that hits lands

That'd be neat. Crumble to Dust is neat but non-red could use some tech.

Pic related sortof does that, so the effect hitting lands doesn't seem to bother WotC.
Until then, just jam Quarter/Surgical and pray that they play one out

Junk might be able to run this. Double white is tough, though.

It's not like Bant can really do much else. You don't have hand disruption, and counterspells aren't really worth playing.

>6 delve cards
>Zero way to feed your own yard

She sure is. I have 13 guardian of thraben and 6 heretic cathar in decks atm.

>playing
Counters Company. The deck is so good. Haven't lost a modern tournament at my store in over a month.
>hating
Nothing. GDS is the hardest match up, but it's still winnable.
>brewing
Either Genesis Wave or Tooth and Nail.

>not the translated edit

Please share

Had to look up ponza. At the risk of continuing to look stupid, how is Mwonvuli Acid-Moss getting cast on turn 2 with this decklist?

magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gplil16/deck-tech-its-a-ponza-scheme-2016-08-28

Turn one forest, arbor. Turn two land, utopia sprawl on untapped land. Tap it for two mana, then untap and tap it again.

Thought it was a mistake at first desu. I looked at the list twice.

So in a burn vs burn matchup, where burn deck B is mainboarding a playset of helixs, which deck is favored to win? How important is an eidolon in the match?

Eidolon hurts both sides. I'm not going to go break out a spreadsheet for it but all else being equal, I'm sure helix especially gives an edge as it establishes a 6 life disparity, requiring another spell for the first burn deck.

However I get fucking shit on by burn because I run a ton of fetch and shocks so I might not be the best source.

T1 Land, Arbor Elf
T2 Land, Utopia Sprawl, make 4, Garruk Wildspeaker, +1, Utopia Sprawl, Blood Moon

;-)

Built a pretty standard burn deck with the new rakdos vexing devil + Claim to fame combo with some minor adjustments. Wanted Mardu for the white sideboard cards. Opinions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/burn-deck-constructing/

I can't afford arid mesa.

thanks.

I'd cut lavamancer, both helixs, and a searing blaze for a playset of boros charms. Or maybe a 3/1 split with charm and a deflecting palm mb.

Hey guys. Since goyf is at an all-time low price I decided to get a playset.

What are some good decks that still use it?

Yeah lavamancer seems kinda slow. I liked the helixes for the life swing in case I get matched up against another burn though. Helps to offset some of the fetch/shocks while being able to act as instant emergency removal. Any particular reason why boros charm other than the obvious ones?

Abzan Delirium or GB Delirium splashing White
>LotV to help you get Delirium
>Grim Flayer to filter your draws and stock your graveyard
>Lingering Souls as a safe discard option
>IoK and Thoughtsieze
>Damnation/Wrath of God (or Flaying Tendrils for a less double-edged sideboard wrath)
>Delve creatures
>Path and Fatal Push
>Bitterblossom to discard for Delirium or create chump blockers
>fucking Siege Rhino
>White hate cards and Disenchants

Your deck may not be as good without Mishra's Bauble, though, and that thing is fucking expensive.

does anyone else think this card is underrated? I feel like forcing your opponent to attack with mana dorks and give you a 3/4 is pretty satisfying.

-2 Helix
+2 Ararka's Command

You've got a lot of dudes, and the bushwhack effect on the command plus the skullcrack is pretty solid.

I'd need some stomping grounds then. Is helix really that bad? I know people say it's one of the weaker cards in the burn line-up but I feel like people underestimate how game changing getting some of the life that you've fetched or shocked away can be.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid about tossing out too much life and getting killed by a flying + galv blast or a shadow.

4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Phyrexian Crusader
4 Phyrexian Vatmother

4 Dismember
4 Victim of Night
4 Mutilate

4 Blackmail
4 Duress
4 Wrench Mind

2 Phyrexian Arena

22 Swamp

It was fine in limited, but in any other format you can't really waste a removal slot on a spell that's not guaranteed to work, and doesn't get things off the table immediately. Plus it's wholly useless as removal for any big creature that your opponent is attacking with anyway

I'd run them in the sb since not every deck you go against will be burn. And no secret tech reason to run charm, it's just great.

Feel free to stop anytime now

Thanks. Which delve fatties would you choose? And isnt de that kind of a nombo with goyf?

Got it. Modern community doesn't like helping new players.

They would just tap the mana dork every turn.

Obligatory fatal push suggestion. Inquisition of kozilek is strong too. If you're going to run infect, run lashwrithe

I believe this is the list. It uses Tasigur. The one I've played against uses Tasigur, but it also had Flaying Tendrils in SB.
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-abzan#paper
Don't know if I would recommend Liliana's Defeat in SB, but depends on your meta. In a month the card may be relevant when the Planeswalker uniqueness rule goes away.

Inquisition has dropped; I'll check it out. Fatal Push is nice, but a bit pricey. Lashwrithe is a good idea. Thanks!

Also consider nighthawks/gifted aether born in side versus creature heavy decks. Shizo, deaths storehouse is a neat land, but you should also be running ghost quarters for disruption.

If you don't like fatal push, dismember is okay usually.

is modern fun yet?

Would Nighthawks/Aetherborne just be a rattlesnake to deter attacking? Also, I like Fatal Push, I just don't know how much I want to invest into the format.

What's the point of changing the planeswalker rules? were planeswalkers really fucking held back by the old rules? Is that what wizards is trying to sell us?

More design space if they allow nonlegendary planeswalkers to theoretically exist.

Nighthawks are basically your way to deter aggro decks. No one is going to swing into it, even if they can pump over it. They're forced to remove it. Also you can sneak a lashwrithe onto one mid combat to gain tons of life for free.

Have my "secret" mono black tech.

Bad Moon is nice, too. Not many decks run Enchantment removal, right?

Yes. You can pretty much play whatever the fuck you want. Even infect is sort of making a small comeback

>nonlegendary planeswalkers to theoretically exist
I'm pretty sure that would be the worst decision they could make.

The thing is bad moon is outclassed by other cards. The best part is if most of your stuff has 4 toughness, that's the magic number in modern. Versus red decks, most can't/don't often deal more than three, so it makes your stuff take two cards to remove. In a deck with a won of 1-for-1s its simply best to make them spend more cards than you to survive. Then you overwhelm them.

One of the new Jaces makes nonlegendary Jace tokens.

ye it's pretty good right now

Crusader has protection from red, and Vatmother has 5 toughness, so Bad Moon wouldn't be too relevant for defense outside of sided Nighthawks.

Couldn't they have accomplished this under the old rules by just removing the JACE type from the planeswalker tokens?

Oh my god it actually fucking happened. I have two of these, I guess I should have bought a playset. I guess people will play a bad Sol Land if it means getting to play planeswalkers faster.

I didn't even read vatmother. IT'S SO GOOD. There must be a black pump card I'm forgetting.

>Haunting Echoes

I managed to play this twice, it was absolutely hilarious.

Boon of Erebos?

I legit think it's a bad deck but It's fun to play control instead of aggro flavor 542

That's a good side versus destruction. I really like that card.

How's your sideboard fellow burn players? Thinking about running the following next time at a bigger tournie:
3 Firewalker
3 Path
2 Rip
4 Revelry
2 Palm
1 Volcanic Fallout

Mountain art of choice?

What's the course of that gif? Looks dope

How hard would it be to turn my foil M17 Tarn into two nonfoil ones from m17? There's like a $15 difference, right?

Sb seems ok, I personally run 2 blessed alliance for fatties tho
Best mountain coming through

Only plebs think the recent full arts are actually good.

Are there any good toolbox decks since pod has been gone?

> Only Plebs think any full arts are actually good

Fixed that for you.

>Grim Flayer
This card is unplayable unless you want to fill your deck with cards that don't do anything. Dark Confidant is easily ten times better.

This will happen in the Return to Return to Ravnica, guaranteed

I've been testing it and having moderate success. It's not nearly as bad as its tournament statistics report.

I've been testing it and having moderate success. It's not nearly as bad as its tournament statistics report.
I've been playing a fairly old list but I'm curious if pact of negation would improve the deck at all

Pact would probably make Infect at least a little bit better but it still wouldn't be nearly as efficient as Git Probe was.

I'm not understanding how you sneak it on mid combat. Could you please explain?

The problem infect faces right now is whether it wants to play an all in strategy like it used to, where it rushed down as quickly as possible, or more slow, like it did when twin was still around, where it would run cards like serum visions and wild defiance and try to chunk them down and burst when the opportunity arose
With all the grixis shadow it's pretty hard to play the all in line, and that's a pretty hard matchup for the deck regardless of which way it wants to play
if shadow was gone though the deck would probably be tier 2

It's garbage don't bother. It's from that weird noah's ark movie, but that gif is the only good thing to come of it.

Damn, that's a shame.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/22-08-17-IeQ-boros-burn/

Too poor to go Naya so here's my Boros burn. No goblin guides cause I'm poor and using Satyr cause I'm in a creature heavy meta. How'd I do? What should I change? Been fooling around with the sideboard and still don't know what I should change?

>Too poor for Naya
literally the only card you should be splashing for is Destructive Revelry. Get yourself a stomping ground and you'll be fine.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/burn-deck-constructing/
-2 Rift
+1 Bump
+Spike

It's the lands man, puts it up another 100 bucks for me cause of canada land funbucks

Started in Avacyn Restored, but only now have I finally realised the euphoria that comes from using old artwork that actually looks like a piece of art. I went for matching rules text boxes too, more or less.

Mono Red v Red/White = R/W
R v Red/Green = R
R/G v R/W = R/W unless skullcrack/AK magic

Red/white is usually slower than RG but runs less creatures and has a better sideboard. RG has an entirely acceptable sideboard and is the most aggressive. Mono Red's sideboard is abysmal but it wins the "mirror" G1 half the time due to fetches alone. Three color is great but it requires fetches and other burn decks are likely to punish you, and you often outright lose to monored which is a little embarrassing to watch.

Is this a good sideboard card for burn against leyline?

Who are you targeting with your burn spells to get the trigger?