How Does One Make A Soul?

So I've got a high level Wizard in a contemporary pathfinder campaign. The GM's created these celestial beings that surpass and in some cases were the inperation for human gods. As such we deal with a lot of Celestial and spiritual themes and shit frequently in our sessions.
Here's how this ties into my question; my character's got a lot of emotional trauma and trust issues that conflict with his playboy, hopeless romantic nature.
So he decided that, rather than risk approaching a real woman, he would make a wife himself.
I've taken care of everythibg mechanically; Craft Wonderous Item, Craft Construct, yada yada.
So my issue isn't creating the form, but rather filling it.
My GM is really uneasy about the whole thing, which is half the reason I'm doing it because I find it hilarious, and has warned me about trying to trap an Outsider or something inside the body because my guy is chaotic good and there's a lot of moral issues with this whole thing regardless of that.
So I started wondering; what if I just made a soul from scratch? What would I need to do to be able to do that? What components, rituals, etc. would be required to make it happen?

What do you guys think?
How do you handle souls in your setting and how would you handle the concept of making them?

Other urls found in this thread:

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/11/two-spells-and-class-spellborn-homunculi.html?m=1
bettermyths.com/my-fair-lady-was-based-on-this-apparently/
bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Kaizō_Konpaku
youtube.com/watch?v=AcMTv1Csdhw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What would I need to do to be able to do that?
You need to be a god.
>What components, rituals, etc. would be required to make it happen?
None you can possess. Enjoy your automaton wife, maybe gods will take pity and turn her into real human.

Farm modrons for logic circuits, forge into artificial brain. Enjoin your new AI robo waifu.
If he complains tip fedora at him.
>souls

Ya gotta steal one (or at least redirect it). The easiest way would be to remove the soul from an infant at the moment of it's birth, and shunt it into your preferred vessel. Some people might say this is basically pedophilia. They might be right. Your wife will have the psyche and soul of a child. This would likely still be true if you created one from scratch however. Either way you would be creating a child fuckslave in the body of a grown woman. You monster.

>made a soul from scratch
>not an insane wizard willing to cross any line to do it
Get out.

Really though, I can't think of a reasonable way to do this that wouldn't disgust me for being too simple. Forging souls should probably require more than some mercury and social awkwardness to pull off.

I could potentially see rituals or the like designed to nurture a soul (including a lesser soul, from a toad egg or something) into a larger and more sophisticated one. My previous gripes apply to this method as well, however; if you're making a person, it should require terrible ambition and come at terrible cost.

That said, since it's supposed to be your wife and you're only making one, I could see some kind of linking mechanism, where you use your soul to seed or empower a new soul. It'd still be fucked up if I were the DM, but it fits the more romantic tone you're going for and might pass under your DM's morality and/or terrible consequences radar.

>I could see some kind of linking mechanism, where you use your soul to seed or empower a new soul.
What if I took a part of my own soul to use as the seed? Would it just result in a clone of myself in the body or could I hypothetically nurture and cultivate it into its own individual?

>what is tulpa?

Forcibly induced mental illness?

I don't know, what IS tulpa in this context?
I googled it, but I'm not really understanding what Im reading...

This

Lol

>a part of your soul that you nurture and cultivate into its own individual

Yeah, just do that. Drive yourself insane, cultivate a new personality in your own head, and then transfer it over.

>what if I just made a soul from scratch
Stop playing God.

>What if I took a part of my own soul to use as the seed?
Horcruxes worked for Voldemort, I don't see why they wouldn't work here!

Really though, I'd let it develop into its own person with the right stimulus, but I'd be pretty finicky about cutting off a chunk of your soul ending well. Or growing a soul in a petri dish ending well, or just generally I think you get the idea. YMMV, each DM is different.

>tulpa
Going off that one X-Files episode, it's somewhere between a psionic summon and a Stand.

>Yeah, just do that. Drive yourself insane, cultivate a new personality in your own head, and then transfer it over.
Give this man a promotion.

>Stop playing God.
Plebs get out.

>adventuring playboy
>but somehow also a hopeless romantic
>with basement-dweller goals
Kill yourself and take this fucking nonsense with you to the grave.

>has warned me about trying to trap an Outsider or something inside the body because my guy is chaotic good
Why the fuck does that matter? Alignment does not define your actions or morality - actions define your alignment. Good people do bad shit all the time, often because they're fucking stupid. Characters that are dictated by their alignment are fucking shit.

Speaking D&D, that's basically what XP expenditure *is*, so yeah, go ahead and sacrifice, like, half your class levels or something to make your waifu a lvl 1 commoner and then take her with you.

Spells are souls. Shove a spell in it.goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/11/two-spells-and-class-spellborn-homunculi.html?m=1

How did Pygmalion do it?

if this is to be believed bettermyths.com/my-fair-lady-was-based-on-this-apparently/
a god helped him
clearly the solution to op's problem is to befriend/become a god

What edition and what level are you? I assume it's 3.x, but I just want to be sure before throwing out any suggestions.

In my setting when a low level undead is made the caster is making a flawed knockoff of a mortal soul to put into the dead body to give it a mind. Like a bad version of a bleach Mod-Soul.

bleach.wikia.com/wiki/Kaizō_Konpaku

Your character is a high level caster so maybe he could make a less flawed knockoff of a mortal soul?

Or he could spend five thousand gold pieces and five weeks researching an arcane equivalent of Awaken.

Or he could wait until level seventeen and take the Awaken Construct spell.

>Going off that one X-Files episode
Better yet, go to that one /x/-files episode!
youtube.com/watch?v=AcMTv1Csdhw

How about a wish spell or asking nicely from a deity?

>How do you handle souls in your setting and how would you handle the concept of making them?
An individual soul needs an individual name. Then the named thing becomes a separate concept. Like an island with jagged rocks becoming the Reef of Pikes. This allows people to develop feelings towards it. This creates a ley line. Through it flows prana, soul stuff created from a soul's feelings. The stronger and more ambivalent's the feelings, the more prana flows (can't store it on yourself, sorry, not how Creation was created to be). An unspecified amount of people feeling something towards it for about some time makes the island store enough prana until it spontaneously crystallize into a soul. The island acquires awareness and can feel.

This works with anything*, newborns, dogs, planets, if it can be named, it can develop a soul. It is the basis for truenaming magic. Prana is the primal element from which the five others are made, fire, water, air, earth and mana. Every strong feeling is a ley line. The ley web is the scaffold of the known universe.

*Prophecies are an exception. The prana becomes a reservoir of energy which flows into the people, things and events people prophecy-related believe in. A popular enough prophecy is quite self-fulfilling, the momentum of "destiny" being a powerful supply of prana. Too-quick chosen one leveling up, sudden new breath/hit points, hidden strength etc, all prana flowing into the situation.

OP, I don't want to sound like a Nazi Doctor.
In D&D when a person dies their soul goes to the Celestial Sea where they are stripped of personality and... well, everything.
If you somehow took the soul when it was done being cleaned, you'd technically have a "Soul from scratch."
Alternatively, if you had a pact with a Celestial Being that could get a soul for you, then that would be even better (but harder).
Or maybe get a wizard to take you to the Celestial Sea yourself (I'm not sure if you'd survive) and go on a Soul Binding quest with Soulstones and the rest.
Or pact with Demons, they usually know stuff about souls.

All of these are very dangerous if done wrong. But hey, robo waifu.

>What if I took a part of my own soul to use as the seed?
>>a part of your soul that you nurture and cultivate into its own individual
>I'd let it develop into its own person with the right stimulus

This should work.
After-all, where do y'all think most children get their souls from?

>Would it just result in a clone of myself in the body or could I hypothetically nurture and cultivate it into its own individual?
see
>I could potentially see rituals or the like designed to nurture a soul into a larger and more sophisticated one.
You would need some old deep magic to keep the piece of your soul from remaining a simple connected extension of you and your soul.
The easiest method would be to mix pieces of souls.

That said, in my setting, most soul-crafting is considered abhorrent, no matter the goal or source.

Or, you know, another board.

>After-all, where do y'all think most children get their souls from?
Gods, obviously.

The video I linked to actually touches on that thread. Still, it's interesting to actually see most of the posts in that thread that were relevant. Thanks!

Also, poor guy. I hope he got better.

>>After-all, where do y'all think most children get their souls from?
>Gods, obviously.
Omninseminate?
That's a new one.
Neat!

>That's a new one.
Actually I think you'll find that it's a very old one.

Gods makin' babies?
Sure.
Gods makin' all of the babies?
Not sure I'm familiar with that legend, outside of Xavier Roberts, of course.
But those babies didn't have souls.

OBVIOUSLY I'm not talking about babies, I'm talking about their souls.

you would need raw "soul stuff" - which you would need to either take from a person forcibly or through donation

then its just a matter of taking that soulshard and manipulating it (necromancy/black arts HO!) to have it be a blank slate

then you implant that soul inside your automaton waifu and let that soul develop naturally

just keep in mind that you will have at least 3/4 gods pissed by reasonable estimation- and quite possibly have to deal with outsiders

This seems familiar.

so what would happen if you were to take a part of an existing soul and "rename" it

>I'm not talking about Oreos, I'm talking about their creamy centers.
Can't make Hydrox without the creamy center.
So if you're putting the creamy center in the cookie, you're making cookies, even if you never baked.
And that's a lot of cookies.

Ways Souls are made in IRL mythology that POTENTIALLY could work for your waifu quest:

1. Awakening soul: in Shinto myths souls can awaken in super old objects (1000+ years) or objects that are a focal point of a major emotional events. You could be asked to quest for a sufficiently old item or asked to create a suitably amazing event to awaken a soul.

Splitting Souls: Lots of IRL mythology have gods or other creatures split part of their soul into another body to make another living creature. This usually comes with lots of risks (soul corruption, damage to your soul)

Pity: most common way souls appear in myth. you make a suitable vessel for the soul. And some divine being takes pity on you and puts a soul inside (ie, pinocchio)

Soul Mixing: Another way is sometimes having two souls mix/touch. And that mix can create another soul.

It's more like they make the filling, then humans assemble the cookies.

>It's more like they make the filling, then humans assemble the cookies.
Yes, but they somehow assemble them with no knowledge of or awareness of the creamy centers.

Just like bees build nests without knowledge or awareness.

The metaphor is obviously flawed, but it's perhaps more accurate to surmise that people are bakers.

They assemble the ingredients, but some other chucklefuck the gods actually make those ingredients. This begs the question of why the baker is actually making the cookies to begin with, and who's buying them. Maybe the customers are devils, who are positively hankering for some fresh-baked soulstuff. Maybe it's the freakish monstrosities that live in the wilderness. Maybe the customers are actually cookies from other bakers, who want to make more cookies for themselves.

Whatever the case, the baker certainly isn't making finely-sifted flour or chocolate chips or butter or whatever. He's just slapping that shit together and leaving the cookie dough in someone's oven, then getting the fuck out of Dodge before the cookies are done so they don't have time to imprint on him and call him "Dad."

Probably.

why do you need to create a soul? Why can't a soul emerge spontaneously? And why would a body need a soul anyway?

And in any case since souls don't exist in reality you can make them anything you want and make up any bullshit you want to create them. Don't limit yourself.

I think the biggest problem, shown by maky people in this thread, is that people are basing themselves on a monotheistic, christian conception of soul, which is very limiting, and it doesn't make sese to limit yourslf to that in a fictional fantasy universe.
Use animistic or pantheistic concepts instead and you won't have problems with souls.

>Why can't a soul emerge spontaneously?
the issue is that what is desired is a "human" soul- rather than something bestial

>why would a body needs a soul
because its what separates a flesh golem from a human

the issue is still getting a fitting soul

you are losing yourself in a lot of pointless bullshit.
What is a human soul and what differentiates it from a bestial soul? It seems to me that you're attributing physical differences between humans and other animals, in the brain, which cause different behaviors and levels of intelligence, to something immaterial, and that is the cause of your problems.

What differentiates humans from golems is a brain capable of individual thought, self awareness and sapience.
For that matter, how do 2 parents create a soul? Is it the act of fucking? Is it the act of the spermatozoo fertilizing an egg that creates a soul? Or are all human souls already created at the beginning of existence and then distributed? What is the obstacle to a constructed being possessing a soul?

the souls is the anima of a person, which is why the undead are what they are- they are soulless husks

if we start attributing things to biology the whole thing becomes moot.

>how do 2 parents create a soul?
they dont, at least not actively- they create a receptive shell which is then filled with tiny shards of the parents souls- and then grows into a separate individual soul

and this shell that the character created is filled with shards of the creator's soul and some other shards which grow into an individual separate soul. There, was it difficult?

>mfw

>You just can't do it
>Sacrifice half your class levels

I bet you people are real fun to play with. "I want to do something ridiculous" should always lead to an even more ridiculous quest line to get it done.

Look, what is a human soul?

Human thought
Human spirit
Human memories

The memories are the easiest: you don't want any, right? Or at most a basic, habitual set to let her wipe her ass by herself and such. I'm sure you can start with a temporary construct framework and let her learn for herself.

A high level psion should be able to make you a mind.

A high level cleric or druid can supply you with whatever divine flame people need in your setting.

You're a high level wizard, you can bind them all together.

The last thing you need is sponsorship from a god. Well, not NEED, but she's going to freak the fuck out of outsiders who'll treat her like a far realms invader unless some divine entity stamps her metaphorical passport.

So all you need to do is coordinate all of those entities, probably do some other quests to get their support, and deal with whatever requirements their contributions come with, e.g. performing the binding on the god's holy day, or in a consecrated druid grove.

/thread

Yeah, no. While souls usually grow from experience and such, actually creating a soul is almost always the purview of the gods or - sometimes - a result of the cosmology as created by primordial entities. You can't just say "You learned something, it's a soul now!".

Well you can, but it's fucking stupid 99 times out of 100.

>The last thing you need is sponsorship from a god.
Everything else you said is horseshit, except this. But if you have the sponsorship of a deity, the other steps are not just fucking stupid, but becomes completely superfluous, since the deity in question could just cobble together a soul for you and let you put your dick in it.

>is almost always the purview of the gods or - sometimes - a result of the cosmology as created by primordial entities
no it's not.
It's only monotheistic religions that work this way, and in any case that's not how it works in the OP setting.

> it's fucking stupid 99 times out of 100.

you instead are stupid 100 times out of 100

Let the soul develop itself.

>It's only monotheistic religions that work this way, and in any case that's not how it works in the OP setting.
>I'm a retard and I didn't actually read the OP
Thanks for letting us know, now fuck off.

>only monotheistic religions that work this way
TIL that D&D is a monotheistic religion, as well as European paganism.

No but seriously, kill yourself, because you're clearly fucking retarded.

That's what the earth goddess does to create new souls. Powerful ones (multiple levels in game terms) are divided into new souls during the reincarnation cycle.

But not even devils can do that otherwise. The torture souls are submited aims to, besides pleasuring the devils, dissolving their ego. Like breaking a crystal into pieces which can be then used/digested.

>in any case that's not how it works in the OP setting.
Are you OP? Because you sound like a faggot. I'm asking, because based on the OP, we have no clue how it works. "contemporary Pathfinder campaign" suggests to me that it works like in Pathfinder or D&D, which means that no, you can't just animate something and hope it manifests cognitive ability and spontaneously starts learning because you want it to. You can't animate a comode and say it gets some kind of soul because it somehow learns.

It learns because it has a soul, that's the essence of the souls, especially in PF, and in all of the D&D-based systems (at least pre-5e, no experiencewith that myself), if you take soul matter from yourself (or anyone) you (or they) lose experience, because that's what it IS.

You're either going to need to fracture an existing soul, considwrably if you want to endow something with fucking SENTIENCE, or you're going to need the help of a deity to pluck a fucking soul from somewhere and sponsor you.

moron
>they create a receptive shell which is then filled with tiny shards of the parents souls- and then grows into a separate individual soul

in european paganism gods don't create souls
D&D is a created by people who come from a monotheistic culture and this passes into their work.

>This is your brain on DnD, the thread

I wonder if that fag from yesterday who was insisting that DnD was infinitely flexible and customizable is reading this.

Or, you know, take a soul from someone who wasn't an infant.

Go to a hospital and find a woman in a coma and extract her soul to put in the robot body. She wasn't using her soul anyway, so it's no big deal.

>child fuckslave in the body of a grown woman
OR you could have the soul develop through at an accelerated speed through magic and have her be an adult

>But not even devils can do that otherwise.
but devils are failures and mages arent

You can not make a soul. You are not a god.

You could tie a wandering soul to the thing and through magic distort and change the psyche of the soul so that it is your dream wife.

You could essentially "code" the personality. Similar to making an artificial intelligence, but with magic not computer code.

You might be able to convince the GM to allow you to take ambient soul fragments and fuse them together to make an amalgamation equaling a soul. But again. You would have to use magic to control and create the personality or the warring soul fragments will not form a cohesive whole.

Essentially there is no way (without deity lvl assistance) to implant a soul into this thing without either stealing a soul or soul fragments or actively controlling what the 'construct' does. Even setting parameters for it to act in would still be controlling your wife because you made her personality you dictate what she is predisposed to like/hate/want. Nothing your character can make will be the same as a real person without stealing a real person's soul and implanting it into the husk. You might be able to get close, but since nothing you create from scratch can be the exact same as a soul, the nature of your creation will never be the exact same as a person.

>in european paganism gods don't create souls
Ǫnd þau né átto, óð þau né hǫfðo,
lá né læti né lito góða.
Ǫnd gaf Óðinn, óð gaf Hœnir,
lá gaf Lóðurr ok lito góða.

Odin gave humans their soul.

In greco-roman myth Demeter/Ceres or sometime Athena/Minerva gave humans their soul.

there are many different version of greco-roman myths, and many different views on the soul from greek philosophers.
Furthermore the soul in pagan religions is often intended as vital spirit or breath, rather than something unique to humans.
Giving a "soul" is akin to giving life in those myths, and giving life to the progenitors of humanity, rather than creating unique souls for each individual human.
The "soul" in erly pagan religions was not the same as we intend the soul in modern christian influenced west.

And furthermore you are partially addressing my post, because what I was replying to was a post saying that giving souls is the exclusive domain of god. Which is a monoteistic view.

>there are many different version of greco-roman myths, and many different views on the soul from greek philosophers.
True, but also, discussing polytheistic myth in the context of european paganism, ALL of these had the soul or breath of life originate from the divine forces of the universe or directly from the gods, which was was originally stated, you infibian fuckwit.

>Furthermore the soul in pagan religions is often intended as vital spirit or breath, rather than something unique to humans.
Entirely true, but also completely fucking irrelevant to the topic or what was said.

> what I was replying to was a post saying that giving souls is the exclusive domain of god. Which is a monoteistic view.
Which is demonstrably WRONG. This has nothing to do with monotheism or polytheism. Furthermore, you're also wrong when you say that I said that it was the exclusive domain of god. I said
>purview of the gods or - sometimes - a result of the cosmology as created by primordial entities
Which is A HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE, YOU IGNORANT COCKWAFFLE.

>No you can't

Why do people play DnD o PF if this is your mindset coming to the table? The whole point is you can do anything. ANYTHING. So long as your DM and you can agree on it. Use some imagination and try to say yes sometimes.

>it's almost always cringe
hence the thread. It is usually cringe, so OP wants to pull upon the collective experience of Veeky Forums to find out how to do it NOT with cringe.
Don't see anything wrong with that.

In gnostic traditions and many other religions, there is a "Storehouse" for souls where they are kept until they get a body. Depending on the setting and the level of coolness of the GM, you could always open the doors of Guf and steal a soul.

jesus christ? really?
okay, listen.
step one, find girl,
step two, insert penis,
step three, stir vigorously,
step four, ejaculate,
repeat as necessary, soon enough, BAM one new soul

you're literally suggesting that the best way for OPs character to get over his emotional trauma is to raise his own daughter as his wife.

never change Veeky Forums