Starfinder?

Is starfinder worth a look? Also space character thread.

I like what I read so far

wow, their inner furry comes out even with the flippin spacesuit designs with those hooves

It's literally Pathfinder in space. They're meant to be compatible so the rules are the same. How do you feel about Pathfinder?

I'm kind of curious, too. All the reviews I find are sticking Paizo cock, none of them feel genuine, as in u haven't found a review with even a nitpick, which I find hard to believe in this hobby

It's the best d20 system meant to emulate a non-specific space setting out there right now. Take that as you will.

That's why I came to tg.

But being based on Pathfinder is already a big issue, Pathfinder has awful balance. By the same token, only allowing half-casters is probably a smart idea

Jump back to your fucking containment thread

I took a brief look at it and felt like I was back in my college dorm in 2005, going through the phb for 3.5 for the first time. It wasn't exactly the most pleasant of feelings.

On a slightly more objective stand point, it's the core rule book and as such lacks a lot of fun and interesting supplements. That and a most linear progression makes me a bit sad from a player's perspective who is just about to wrap a long running Shadowrun campaign. Over all there's enough in here to chew on but the steak is lean and not exactly super flavourful. I'd hold off judgment until a couple more splats come out.

One last final note. There are a couple of things here that reminds me of d20 modern, for what that is worth.

This is explicitly for people who want opinions that AREN'T a General's circle jerk

>But being based on Pathfinder is already a big issue

How so? The biggest gripes you might have about Pathfinder are gone; all casters are 6th level casters, the feats have been tightened, magic items have been largely relegated to bonuses more than requirements (you get significant attribute boosts naturally, now,) martials are more important than ever, as are debuffing or combat maneuvers... The setting itself is spotty at times, but the mechanics under the hood are solid.

That said, the game does have problems; Envoy is a little too focused on being situational, starship DCs are retarded and people have been having a field day on that fact.

You should check out the way weapon leveling works, I think it's an exciting change from the typical enchantment system.

That depends. Do you like Pathfinder?

Because that's really all this is; Pathfinder with focus on ranged combat.

>You should check out the way weapon leveling works, I think it's an exciting change from the typical enchantment system.

Nah, I've never really enjoyed the MMO item treadmill and jesus christ Starfinder has that. Got to get the latest Purples to keep up with the game.

I mean it's an issue if you always found PF combat dull as sin.

What about Stars Without Number? It's got all those things, but it's based on earlier editions instead of 3.5PF.

What is the rope on the sword blade accomplishing?

to give them rope-infection when you cut them

It's much better than in D&D/Pathfinder (and it's probably the best you can do short of items not mattering, and you know how that worked out for 4e....)

In 3.X you had to always upgrade your cloaks of resistance, rings of deflection, belts of whatever, headbands of whatever, magic weapons, one to two of these got upgraded every 2-3 levels. In Starfinder it's just weapons and armor that you have to upgrade, and you only need to do it nearly as often unless you're trying to powergame your AC.

You should check out the thread, it's pretty much all complaining about the maths or complaining about "genderspecials invading muh clubhouse". No circlejerking possible.

The skill DCs at high level needs adjusting and so do the starship rules.

Other than that, it's fine for a d20 system. The item treadmill is still there, but it's a lot better than in 3.5/PF. And with mass production in-setting, it's easy to ignore if you really want to.

How good is it if I want to just run a sci-fi, humans-only, campaign? Like think Alien, or Blade Runner type of setting in terms of aesthetics?

This is the most single most cringe picture. I have seen of lol random pf goblins.

It could be done. But it's more a guardians of teh galaxy, gonzo high fantasy game.

I would try SWN, GURPS, or Traveller (Mongoose 1e a best) for that.

Its cancer.

>It's the best d20 system meant to emulate a non-specific space setting out there right now.
You're so fucking wrong, it hurts.

i think those are grav boots/rocket boots

Gotcha. I've been looking around for a sci-fi horror system, and while Cthulhutech in some ways might've been something (mechs, cyberpunk, cosmic horror), I don't like a lot of the details of setting and I don't like the system.

Which one would you recommend?

SWON, T20, or even just refluffing the SW d20 game.

It is a perfect book if you want to play Fantasy Space Opera in 5E D&D. What they did is split the HP and made SP (HP that regenerates during the short rest). Added a pool you can use a recourse for some abilities and to get stabilised quickly. All classes have subtypes like in 5E and you have themes that are essentially backgrounds. All feats have been fixed and none are useless. So far it is great, I would tho convert it to 5E because it would work better than Shitfinder.

Cold and Dark is also worth a look.

Not really. I actually like Pathfinder so I wasn't going to dismiss it out of hand, but the math is a dumpster fire.

I say yes. I've been going through it and like what I see. It works like pathfinder with dashes of 5th e scattered in it. Also just overall has some really cool ideas in it.

>What they did is split the HP and made SP (HP that regenerates during the short rest
Does CON add to HP or SP?
does this fix CON as a garbage stat that will never be your primary?

CON is SP. It will still never be your primary. The first class you pick determines your actual Key Ability, game term, and none of them give you CON. But yeah, it's still useful for extra durability and Fort saves, so it's everyone's second or third best ability.

take all reviews within the first 6 months of release with a big grain of salt. if you disagree, i dare you to read the reviews of games you know well from right after their release. most are merely enthusiastic recaps. nuanced criticism comes with play experience.

eclipse phase is what you want

Mutants and Masterminds does it better.

There are a crazy amount of differences between Pathfinder and Starfinder. The list seems small, but what was changed sort of had sweeping effects.

Removing CMB/CMD (one of the best things they added when switching form 3.5 to Pathfinder) and using AC + 8 essentially deleted combat maneuvers. Grapples are even harder and they're not even useful.

Having primary feats that scale off of your character level, like Weapon Specialization (which adds your level to damage) and Enhanced Resistances (which gives you DR or energy resistance equal to your level) was their attempt to remove having to take a tree of feats to get to a goal, but instead, it just added feats you're required to take, because they are huge bonuses, and in the case of Enhanced Resistance, the DR doesn't stack with anything else, and is significantly better than anything else you can get.

Archetypes are instead following a set template of abilities to replace for all classes, and every archetype can be taken as every class. On that note, there are no combat feats that are worth anything. If you play a soldier, you'd be best off choosing an archetype to get extra abilities over feats, because you can't spend your combat feats on anything good. That's sad, because there are 2 archetypes, and they aren't good.

The bulk/carry capacity change has ensured that nobody can carry much in their inventory. Most people who post starting gear lists are just sort of pretending they aren't encumbered. Ranged combat classes that can use heavy armor have to choose to increase strength or to not use heavy armor, as heavy armor will instantly take 2 or 3 of your 5 carrying capacity. This is alleviated a bit with a backpack and at higher levels, as long as you choose strength as one of your 4 ability scores to increase every level. At least there is very little equipment to want to bring anyway.

There's more but I have come to hate the base of Starfinder and it's small changes that ruin things.

Also I hate resolve points with a passion. They don't turn stamina into a way to continue playing without constant resting. They tied abilities to resolve points, so everyone I've played with just blows all of their resolve points and then takes the day off.

Why stack ability uses on resolve points and not give classes their own resources to blow? It was easier to track HP, a class pool, and a power used once per day in Pathfinder than it is to track the stuff in Starfinder due to everything leeching off of the same pool.

It's incredibly annoying and is completely ignored by just sleeping all of the time.

So Pathfinder was a rehash of 3.5e and now Starfinder is a rehash of both 3.5e and 5e?
Have Paizo no shame?

Paizo has never had any shame whatsoever.
When they ran a magazine, they appealed to the people who wanted overpowered bullshit (which made anything from said magazine banned by default)
When they made Pathfinder, they appealed to people complaining about an edition change.
Now there's been an edition change, and they can't really milk Pathfinder as much anymore so they're panicking and making Pathfinder IN SPACE. But they never learned how to actually make anything themselves.

Don't forget that many pathfinder core classes were adopted from Dragon Magazine with very little modification. When WotC was slowly shutting down 3.5 edition they were also shutting down Dragon and dungeon Magazine (they were published by paizo).

So when pathfinder showed up on the horizon it already had a foundation made during Magazine days.

Do you like Pathfinder? Then you will like Starfinder.

Do you not like Pathfinder? Then you will not like Starfinder.

In a vacuum (pun intended) the setting is actually pretty cool, and while I personally will never use the system, because I hate Pathfinder, I may well use the setting for my next Space Opera game.
I do have one backhanded compliment to make that's independent of it being pathfinder. They tried to avoid the "meat points vs plot-armor points" argument by fleeing to an artificially created middle ground. Quantafying how much of your HP is "plot armor" and how much of your HP is "meat" seems both unnecessary and silly save to pander to autists who just can't handle having to make a judgement call after the fact. Also, I take issue with the names they used for the different types of HP: they called Meat Points "Hit Points" and they called Plot Armor Points "Stamina Points." Personally, I think this is stupid, because -- A: it implies that "hit points" have always been meat points, and they are coming up with something new, when in-fact they are just coming up with an unnecessary quantification of something old and B: in a vacuum, the name "hit points" just plain doesn't make sense for meat points, because.... they're POINTS... that negate HITS.... hence the name... heck, ESPECIALLYU when placed next to something named "Stamina Points" which actually SOUNDS like something to do with meat-points, it's just abjectly silly. Personally, I would have avoided the name "hit points" altogether, and gone with TWO new names, like "Vigor Points" and "Wound Points."

I know at least one Pathfinder class was taken wholesale from the Wizards boards.
Summoner was someone making a Final Fantasy summoner class there, I've still got a printout of it floating around.

I don't know about Summoner and other expanded classes but I remember druid first showing up in Dragon Magazine.

>By the same token, only allowing casters is probably a smart idea
ftfy.
Nobody wants to play "ebin full attack spamaroo" the game.

Bump

So I find that I'd rather the Androids dissappear with Golarion like everything else did. What would be a good name/concept for a bio-mechanical race of beings?

The Snerg?

>I'd rather the Androids dissappear
So typical. Just wants to ignore people who don't subscribe to gender binary.
Ugh.

I'm actually completely blown away by the amount of /pol/tards who are uncomfortable with the non-binary and matriarchal focus some of these races have. I didn't realize tabletop games are infested with morons too.

You might want to check Eclipse Phase user. The PDFs are free and there's the open playtest for 2nd for free on drivethru, too.

>>>
>Anonymous 09/04/17(Mon)10:12:38 No.552

I think /pol are just looking at something to be outraged by by default. Anyhow, I can see most people handwaving the android gender thing if players are not comfortable with it.

I'm not one of those assholes. I just find the Androids boring especially when you consider in Pathfinder how they were born and made from mystery forges that fell out of the sky versus now when they are mass produced by regular people.

I just want to replace them with something else that is fresh is all.

You are likely bait but if not. Just letting you know bring up judgements based on political beliefs is pretty shirty of you. And only makes you look like a idiot.

There could be many reasons why someone does not like a certain fictional thing. Atmosphere, Believe ability, Originality ect.

Some people widely dislike for example how overplayed Daleks are in doctor who. And that makes someone racist?

Androids in pathfinder/starfinder are a fictional race that does not exist. So placing our world believes and political interests. Into a fictional world of make belief means you need to settle down a noche.

Sadly, this thread reminds me of one simple fact:

Pathfinder players are the stupidest grognards to walk the Earth. Unable to give up their precious Caster Edition, they latched onto Paizo as their preferred gaming company, and they've been shilling their chosen purveyor of autismal furfaggotry ever since.

You might ask why: “Why play Pathfinder when 4e and 5e exist?” 4e is a divergence from 3e D&D, but it has interesting combat. 5e is close enough to D&D 3e but passably balanced that it stands as the natural evolution of the system. Pathfinder's rules bloat alone should disqualify it from being considered a playable RPG, but the fat neckbeards masturbating over their DPR and character builds and tit-dicked kitsune waifus refuse to try anything but their particular brand of shit.

Why? Because they are the worst form of "roleplayers": magical realm fetishists and rules lawyers whose idea of a fun game is stacking up numbers like they're fighting a WoW boss. Add in obesity and social awkwardness and caster supremacy to taste.

Starfinder players are just Pathfinder players. In space.

Amen Brother.

Although Ill admit. I did like 3.5 it was fun but, I would never say it was balanced. Id play it but you know. Do not deny what you are going in for.

I think personally the only thing that annoyed me of pathfinder players. Is how it is basically 3.5 dnd but, They simply deny the fact and say its better. When in reality its the same shit.

From a mechanical stand point, it pretty much crap. It lacks the fluff to carry it on.

First of the biggest selling point is pretty much spaceships, but the fucked up the math so hard that piloting the same ship as you level up gets more difficult, to the point where DCs in the book are impossible to achieve (oh I'm sorry, there's 1 spectic race/class combo that if it focus just on that can use a special ability once a day, roll max on that can possibly make the checks. Basically you're fucked.

On top of that you can't ever improve your starsip outside of the level based rules. You can't buy or sell starships, you can't improve them in any way short of leveling up your characters.

Not only can you not buy starships, or starship parts, anything you sell or salavage is only worth 10% of it's original value. And guess what? The only effective means of increase your defense or damage are by.... buying new weapons and armor, basically every other level!
What fun!

But you also can't bu anything with a level greater than 2, so no matter how much money you have you never get ahead in anything!

Continuing....

Magic got nerfed, which is fine we knew it needed it, but it got nerfed so hard and so stupidly that the technomancer is pretty much the worst class.

The soldier actually basically gets worse at all of it's skills as it advances in level, having less change of succeeding at the same tasks as when it was a lower level.

The solarian is a super shitty monk which a bunch of disjointed abilities that don't keep up to just getting actual equipment and don't make sense for what it's suppose to do.

The Operative is clearly overpowered.

The Envoy is action starved, and has issues.

The mechanic doesn't have the starting fund to really equip their down effectively starting out, oh and avoid the hover drop because if it does anything without you specifically directing it, it's going to crash! Brilliant!

The Mystic is ok, so there that I guess?

The androids in Starfinder aren't the ones from Golarion.

M&M is actual trash.

Is it. Is it really?

It is so barely Pathfinder it's not even funny. Outside of some very basic shit, there's loads of improvements and differences. For starters, martials aren't a joke and casters aren't insanely bullshit.

Great if you love Pathfinder AND Gorillion.

Meh otherwise.

You're a faggot with shit taste

No u