What do you think of my worlds map Veeky Forums?

What do you think of my worlds map Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Turn it upside down, that'll improve it

Much better like this.

>Extreme detail in the west
>Just a giant fucking landmass in the east
You ran out of ideas, huh? Maybe that's better, because if you do have ideas you do retarded shit like a fucking boot. Real landmasses don't have convenient shapes like that, learn about plate tectonics rather than drawing household items.

>insert realism joke

Anyway it's a pretty bad map, actually. Colors for biomes AND highlands, and the highlands are misteriously differentiated in some places (Balkans) and not in others (Alps, Turkey).

Pretty bad.

Couldn't get enough of that vital sea checkpoint could you? Just had to do it three times.

Pretty sure I already saw it somewhere.

Go to /pol/ and ask them to fix it.

too much green, add more snow and deserts for variety

That big peninsula in the North. Did some aliens design it?

American here. I'm not sure what moving the capital of... I'm going to say Malta... is supposed to signify.

Apply yourself.

He moved the capital of the Czech Republic from Prague to Brno.
Why, I don't know.

>He moved the capital of the Czech Republic from Prague to Brno.
You can't just throw random letters together and expect me to think it's a word.

I feel like I'm missing a joke here. Is this about Austria-Hungary or something?

>Extreme detail in the west
>Just a giant fucking landmass in the east
There's a lore reason for that. The Winter Empire tamed the Eastern Wastes which was full of cavemen and centaurs. It's technically divided between different republics, but they're all part of the same empire and they're more like provinces.

Look, there's Notspain!

It took me a second.

Yes we can. I mean,
1 - it's a fantasy thread.
2 - nobody bothered to exterminate the Welsh, so that's honestly pretty tame.

>that "language"
Come on, try and learn something about linguistics, don't just throw random letters together.

Okay, so, is it possible to carve out the OP map into different potentially interesting political units? Or are the national boundaries more dependent on geography than I realize?

Not Welsh, but that's honestly more intuitive and easier to pronounce than most English spellings.

Martin did it with Westeros, so whgy the fuck not?

For bonus points: take one of the projected images of the Earth with the sea level raised about ten feet, or lowered by 30...

That's where you're wrong kiddo!

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fHxO0UdpoxM

>who designed this, an alien?

If one did it would probably have been one with a a stupid sounding name like Slartibartfast or whatever bullshit.

Jeez, that joke took me way too long to get. Thanks

>that place shaped like a boot
is this a fucking joke
you retard

Didn't drop a fucking beat, noice.

Good shit qeq

Honestly not that hard to get the hang of for a non-Pole as long as you understand that the z's aren't stand alone letters but make up parts of digraphs. So isn't supposed to be pronounced /szkz/ or anything like that, but rather /ʂt͡ʂ/

Was this arrived by any specific method, or just kinda winging it, maybe chanting 'I'm crushing your head!' and pinching countries together?

Brno was the capital of Moravia

So, what does it mean to shift the capital from what I assume was an important HRE stronghold to another absorbed nation? Does it imply a Moravio-Hungarian empire instead? I don't into European history, so I have no idea. But it's the only change, so clearly must be important for this rpg setting!

Pretty sure it's just internal nationalistic bullshit

Fix the top part, it looks like a flaccid dick.

To be fair, that's not the actual name, more of a publicity stunt.

It's like how no one ever actually calls Bangkok Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilokphop Noppharatratchathaniburirom Udomratchaniwetmahasathan Amonphimanawatansathit Sakkathattiyawitsanukamprasit

Useful worldbuilding insight there, Captain Buzzkill.

I've always figured as much. Still, doesn't change the fact that several Welsh heroes in the Mabinogion sound like they were named after sneezes.

True, and Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll still isn't an easy name if you don't know Welsh.

Internal nationalistic bullshit is the best kind of worldbuilding

Eh? What're you thinking? An Austria rife with a Moravian separatist movement?

It's more of a general statement.
But yes, you can take any old nation that was absorbed by another one (say, Romania in Hungary) and crank up thier desire for freedom. Then you get a nice nigh-genocidal war, Yugoslavian-style

Every time I think about Poles being Slavs I cringe a little. I'm not even this ashamed of Russians or Serbs. The fuck is up with your language for real.

t. a Slovenian

Well, obviously, they're slavs mixed with whatever people steak parceltongue natively

Ah, okay!
So! At some point in the past, an increase in pro-Moravian sentiment led to the capital of Austria getting moved from Vienna to the old capital of Moravia. This has enflamed tensions with the HRE-descended peoples of the western part of the country. Brno, of course, has no interest in breaking away, having more political control atm, but elements in Vienna are considering wresting control back, or even joining back up with Germany!
Just takes one or two unlucky incidents for this to get interesting - especially if other nearby countries have opinions on what should happen to Austria.

>especially if other nearby countries have opinions on what should happen to Austria.
Please don't bully Austria. I live there.

>Turkey is now Cathay
>Cathay is an Archaic word for China

What the fuck is wrong with you?

There's only a few things that could trip foreigners up, really. And it's that w is a vowel in between consonants, pronounced /u/ or "oo" if you're an anglo, that simple f is voiced and is pronounced /v/, and that the digraph ll is an unvoiced alveolar lateral fricative which is very rare among other European languages but can be described as either an unvoiced l, or an s pronounced at the sides of the tongue.

>Netherlands gets two stars

We deserve it.

>nobody bothered to exterminate the Welsh
Because then who would make the grape soda?

it's unironically perfect for a game

>HERE BE ELVES
Always gets me.

Why would you move the Czech capital from Bohemia to Moravia? I mean, stupid obscure history jokes are fun, but isn't a joke about fucking Great Moravia a bit too obscure?

Great Moravia is the joke, user.

Refugees-friendly elves would be kinda different tough, I guess.

Seen it a thousand time before, m8.

>Finnmark, Russia and northern Finland
>friendly

Look, would you rather have Turks or would you rather have Chinese?

>Blast Bay
Good job America, ya killed the pyramids!

>Door
>Fucking Door
>As in, the thing that opens and closes

>Mediterranean climate spanning that far

Dumbass

That climate only exists on the WEST side of a continent

Immersion ruined

0/10 would not enjoy fantastical adventures

If your world map fits neatly into a rectangle, it's either bullshit or a space station.

So, in Welsh, and nowhere else in the English language, the w actually IS a double-u?
Mind. Blown.

Wow, what is this messy shit? This looks so incredibly ugly, damn.

Maybe the Melanin-powered reactor blew up and the pyramids are ground zero

Welsh is a completely separate language from English. But yeah, pretty much.

To understand why we must explain the history behind the letter itself though. In Ancient Latin, no real distinction was made between the consonant /w/ and the vowel /u/ (much like in Welsh today) and sound we today represent with v didn't exist at all. So the Romans used the letter V to represent their rounded semivowel (much like how they used the letter I to represent both /i/ and /j/) and everything was fine. Over generations, however, the pronunciation started shifting in the Latin language, and what had previously been pronounced /w/ became to be pronounced /v/. So now we have a single letter that's sometimes pronounced like a consonant /v/ and sometimes a vowel /u/. And sometime during all of this U was invented as an alternative way to write V, though it still meant the exact same thing.

However, as the Latin script spread to the Germanic people they needed a way to represent their /w/ sounds and decided to do so by doubling the Roman letter, so either VV or UU (see, double-u, clever right?), which eventually simplified into w.

Or you've zoomed out far enough.

or its a projection.

>Equatorial desert
Bullshit that's not how deserts work

Any projection of Earth contains large portions of empty ocean. I'm talking about insanity like this.

smilingCaim.gif

However implausible the continent shapes are, aSoIaF never states it's the entire world

Aside from some of the rivers, why is it implausible?
Not being funny, genuine noob question.

thats clearly just a map of part of the world not the whole world. or the whole known world if you will.

>Constantinople, Aero City and Papillia are all in the same polity
>Half the names are stolen from the Elder Scrolls, The Witcher and Pokemon of all things
>Gulf of Davin, Steve's Swamp

Jesu Crist, these names are terrible

The whole rectangular continent thing is about how you can fit Westeros neatly into a rectangular map, without large stretches of ocean or other continents.
If you try and do the same thing with, say, Europe, you end up with a lot of sea to the north of Iberia, along with probably a good chunk of north africa and asia minor being included too

Essentially, it's almost like Westeros is designed to fit neatly into a map in a book, with as little "wasted" space as possible. But that'd be crazy, right?

eh. you get a similar fit with africa.

Lots of wasted space bottom left, fair amount on entire right side.

the westeros map posted earlier in the tread has similar wasted space. Just more upper right and down the left side instead.

If you ignore the bottom left and top right quarters of the map entirely. And most of the bottom right too
But hey, at least the top left is mostly africa. Specifically the part of africa no one cares about

Wait, where did brittany, ireland, and spain go?

Coincidence?

>Just giant transparent sections that look out into the void.
Can you imagine how fucking weird it would be to look down and see stars underneath you for kilometers?

>and see stars underneath you for kilometers?
Don't you mean "infinity?"

I think he means the distance between the edges of the landscape.

Like you'd look out and see a sea of stars between yourself and the next segment of passable land.

>Don't you mean "infinity?"
What?
Only some sections of the cylinder appear to be transparent and because you're on the inside there would never be a horizon so at any point you would be able to see both transparent and opaque sections.

Fort Death and Steve's Swamp sound like total shitholes.

That Westeros map only has wasted space because it insists on including the Free Cities for no reason at all. Cut out Essos entirely and it looks like Martin got hold of a piece of graph paper and decided he couldn't ever cross the boundary or he'd have to get another one.

Most that map is injoke crap, but Door (pronounced Do-er) is the most weird meme material of them all.
hyper Republican NOT-England just north of totally NOT giant Scotsmen and near an island of green magic faeries.

Fuckig Vanheim man

>turkey
>nkt Byzantium

Or zoomed in close enough

To be honest, I'm welsh, and i don't know a single person who doesn't use the shorthand, which is Llanfair p-g.

Give me themes, settings or quirks for either a town, battle or world" map and I'll draw it.

>Welsh
>In the English language

DDYLECH CHI FFEINDIO BONT A NEIDIO O'I BEN, GONT.

Map thread?

An ocean of blood!

Protip: If your magic is decent, there's a tp book in Uttaku that can teleport you in ten or so locations, including Dweomer that has a tp pitt in the forest that can teleport you in ten other locations, including Brazen, that has three magical portals into the mines that can teleport you too.

With the tp run you can go almost everywhere very fact.

>That little smile after he nails it