/swg/ - A-Wing Edition

Previous Thread: Post about FFG, d6, Saga/d20, X-wing, Lego, Armada and anything else Star Wars Related

Legion announcement
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/8/18/star-wars-legion/

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
>mega:#F!blI01Jga!6uL6fLHF2rJFKDN57E14WQ!69Z3HZzT

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Star Wars: Destiny and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/63ieUn7g
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XZj9Hxf4o5Y
databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:IOC_CRL
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rank_insignia_of_the_Galactic_Empire/old_version
shapeways.com/product/EEG3F5XN7/star-wars-cargo-crates?optionId=59999326
shapeways.com/product/FD6ZU4KNW/crate-star-wars-rogue-one?optionId=62800634
shapeways.com/product/7UNMH252V/box1-deago-millennium-falcon-star-wars?optionId=62268019
shapeways.com/product/R7WU5H7EK/whomobile-collector-1-40-star-wars-version?optionId=57844871
shapeways.com/product/7Z8NEM5CB/barrel-star-wars-deago-shape-a-millennium-falcon?optionId=62081608
shapeways.com/product/4TWHY5CMW/barrel-star-wars-deago-shape-c-millennium-falcon?optionId=62222453
shapeways.com/product/YBKY33TY4/barrel-star-wars-deago-shape-b-millennium-falcon?optionId=62210929
shapeways.com/product/FC8UGJGEL/yt1300-deago-docking-bay-64-energy-station?optionId=58214739
shapeways.com/product/3B5LABLNN/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-1?optionId=55962559
shapeways.com/product/68QM3X2W5/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-3?optionId=55963036
shapeways.com/product/VR4AND43R/yt1300-deago-hall-nav-console?optionId=56077264
shapeways.com/product/4BVTVZYCH/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-4b?optionId=56081460
shapeways.com/product/XF48XAYU3/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-2?optionId=55962981
shapeways.com/product/YJELXPMPG/yt1300-deago-hall-pillars-bits?optionId=60031512
shapeways.com/product/9CWY4YV3X/moisture-collector?optionId=439025
shapeways.com/product/MYCB3776X/moisture-evaporator-1-32?optionId=57304678
shapeways.com/product/TMDNUHU2B/moisture-evaporator-unit-with-patch-in-droid?optionId=59984618
shapeways.com/product/WAZ76CBFJ/droid-patch-in-unit-1-32?optionId=57304582
shapeways.com/product/ZBYAGGGTH/1-48-o-scale-hoth-runway-landing-light-w-base?optionId=43336990
shapeways.com/product/K4ELXLLJ7/df9-defense-tower-1-48?optionId=60141822
shapeways.com/product/C9WCFSDLT/dish-turret-1-48?optionId=60142203
shapeways.com/product/CUGNZMCEZ/gonk-droid-tabletop-scale-28-32-mm?optionId=59990385
shapeways.com/product/QZBEDGWGP/star-wars-imperial-assault-crate-style-2?optionId=61245956
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aggressor_assault_fighter
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=XZj9Hxf4o5Y
New Legion demo vid from Gencon.
FFG is taunting us with this terrain...

>1-star:
Quadjumper
>2-star:
N-1
>3-star:
YV-330
>4-star:
Recusant-class
>5-star:
/Katana/

Hey imperial assault players, are there any high quality scans of the cardboard tokens the game comes with? Any scans of the ones in the expansions?

>Every single player in the world would own more Quadjumpers than will ever appear in an actual SW film

I hope Jump-chan is at least cute.

>ginger
>relatively big engines
Of course she is!

What the fuck is the point in the Blaster Turret?

It was a relic from the early days of x-wing design. They clearly intended the HWK-290 to encourage focus bank based strategies.

Quick force and destiny question:
What is the most important stat for a force users that focuses on force powers?

Force Rating.

At the time of its release, an attempt at a balanced damage-oriented turret as opposed to the control-oriented ion turret.
Now, fucking nothing since every other turret blows it out of the water.

Well, I mean, between the 6 physical and mental stats.
Also, what skill, assuming you can use one, do you use for throwing shit at people with the move power? Ranged (light) or ranged (heavy)?

Ah, makes (little) sense. Thanks.

Depends on what powers you're planning on using. Read the powers, look at what it asks you to roll, max that shit out.
For move, it doesn't specify. Ask your GM or check for errata.

Thanks.
I guess since I plan to one day use protect, I should focus on willpower.

It makes as much sense as all the other early game trashy balance shit that they've learned from over time
>1 attack HWK primary is so trash that no other ship or weapon since has or will have it again
>Z-95s getting illicit slots and Y-wings getting elite slots for Scum since the Rebel versions were so mediocre
>Jumpmaster generic super underpriced to correct for previous large generics being unusable trash

Not that I'm eager for them to jump to a 2.0, because the game is fun, but if they ever do do a slash and burn on X-Wing and start it from the ground up, it'd be some impressive shit.

So, I want to run an Imperial game in AoR, and I thought it would be nice to make the players little badges for their rank.

Problem is, there's so god damn much contradicting information on imperial ranks with pre-yavin and post-yavin stuff and half of the info I can find seems to come from freeform RP sites.

What kinds of badges would make sense for the command staff of a single star destroyer?

The move power uses a discipline check, so willpower is defs the stat you want if you to use move as a Godhammer.

I'm still waiting to see what material the minis are and whether there will be other factions before I decide whether to get into Legion, but if I do, I'm going to have to learn how to make terrain.

The 501st Legion Imperial Officer Corps detachment is probably your best source for getting the rank bars right.

databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:IOC_CRL

Other than the Wook, there's not much.
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rank_insignia_of_the_Galactic_Empire/old_version

Honestly, you kind of answered yourself. The actual on-screen material is inconsistent, which means that supplementary material is either convoluted as fuck (to explain inconsistencies) or is straight up contradictory (to make more sense.) The good news is your players are extremely unlikely to bother fact-checking you on it.

So just use the version that makes the most sense to you and don't worry about it.

I'm looking into Getting EVERYTHING for Imperial Assault, or nearly everything.

But I gotta ask, is it all worth it for the campaign stuff? How replayable is the campaign if you get all of the sets? Me and my friends are mostly interested in the campaign.

If you get everything that is available for IA so far, you will have literally hundreds of hours of playtime worth of shit.

Hello! I was in my FLGS the other day and on the sales rack they had pick related for $5, brand new which was like a 83% discount so I grabbed it on impulse even if the ship itself looks kind of ugly (no offense, but atleast its mandalorian which is like my favourite faction in star wars behind the Empire). The reason it was that much off was literally because one wing fell off and it was like a 10 second fix with super glue. Anyways, is this all I require to play X-Wing? What's the game like? I've seen some people playing it at my hobby shop so I'm sort of interested now that I have a model. Pic related is all that I got, it's called the IG-2000 Expansion Pack. I play 40k so I have wargaming experience if this helps. Thanks!

You'll need movement templates and dice, although both can be shared pretty easily. You won't have enough points for a normal game is the biggest issue. Tactically, that ship specifically is designed to be played with at least one other copy of itself, as it has the unique ability to share certain attributes between them.

One downside, the core set won't help you since it doesn't include Scum, the 3rd faction, and the on the IG-2000 is from, IG-88 being the droid bounty hunter in ESB for the record.

You could get by with a Most Wanted set, assuming you could borrow or purchase maneuver templates and dice elsewhere, although like any game of the type, your options will be sub-optimal without specific ships/cards

Here is a list of shapeways 3d terrain for Legion:
Star Wars Cargo crates: shapeways.com/product/EEG3F5XN7/star-wars-cargo-crates?optionId=59999326
Rogue One crate: shapeways.com/product/FD6ZU4KNW/crate-star-wars-rogue-one?optionId=62800634
Millenium Falcon crates: shapeways.com/product/7UNMH252V/box1-deago-millennium-falcon-star-wars?optionId=62268019
Star Wars “Whomobile” speeder: shapeways.com/product/R7WU5H7EK/whomobile-collector-1-40-star-wars-version?optionId=57844871 (might be a little small)
Millenium Falcon barrels: shapeways.com/product/7Z8NEM5CB/barrel-star-wars-deago-shape-a-millennium-falcon?optionId=62081608 shapeways.com/product/4TWHY5CMW/barrel-star-wars-deago-shape-c-millennium-falcon?optionId=62222453 shapeways.com/product/YBKY33TY4/barrel-star-wars-deago-shape-b-millennium-falcon?optionId=62210929
Mos Eisley Energy Station: shapeways.com/product/FC8UGJGEL/yt1300-deago-docking-bay-64-energy-station?optionId=58214739
Misc. Interior Millenium Falcon hall bits (anything listed deago is ~1/43 scale) shapeways.com/product/3B5LABLNN/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-1?optionId=55962559 shapeways.com/product/68QM3X2W5/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-3?optionId=55963036 shapeways.com/product/VR4AND43R/yt1300-deago-hall-nav-console?optionId=56077264 shapeways.com/product/4BVTVZYCH/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-4b?optionId=56081460 shapeways.com/product/XF48XAYU3/yt1300-deago-hall-bits-2?optionId=55962981 shapeways.com/product/YJELXPMPG/yt1300-deago-hall-pillars-bits?optionId=60031512

Moisture Farm stuff: shapeways.com/product/9CWY4YV3X/moisture-collector?optionId=439025 shapeways.com/product/MYCB3776X/moisture-evaporator-1-32?optionId=57304678 shapeways.com/product/TMDNUHU2B/moisture-evaporator-unit-with-patch-in-droid?optionId=59984618 shapeways.com/product/WAZ76CBFJ/droid-patch-in-unit-1-32?optionId=57304582
Hoth runway landing lights: shapeways.com/product/ZBYAGGGTH/1-48-o-scale-hoth-runway-landing-light-w-base?optionId=43336990
DF9 Defense Tower: shapeways.com/product/K4ELXLLJ7/df9-defense-tower-1-48?optionId=60141822
1.4 FD P-Tower: shapeways.com/product/C9WCFSDLT/dish-turret-1-48?optionId=60142203
Gonk Droids shapeways.com/product/CUGNZMCEZ/gonk-droid-tabletop-scale-28-32-mm?optionId=59990385
Imperial Assault crates: shapeways.com/product/QZBEDGWGP/star-wars-imperial-assault-crate-style-2?optionId=61245956

Ah I see, Scum seems like a cool faction though too, might pop into my hobby shop on x-wing day and see whats up.

>but atleast its mandalorian
Eh, not quite. HOWEVER, its a fun ship that's a steal for five bucks, and you get to join up with IG-88's glorious droid revolution!

I'd recommend asking the X-Wing players if you could sit in on them playing the game one time. Getting into the Scum faction is a little pricier than Imperial or Rebel, like this guy says Its a fun game though, and Scum has a lot of nasty tricks they can pull.

Also, apologies, I didn't realize that later EU had Mandalorians using non IG-2000 Aggressors. My bad.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aggressor_assault_fighter

>A-Wing.

That's some nice cannon fodder you've got there...

The Rogue One visual dictionary states that rank badge interpretations can differ from sector to sector. Likely because of Moffs.

>the initiative card is called ambush
>you can play actively it on guys the enemy has already engaged, in general plain view.

FFG cannot into war-terminology

Well yes, when you fly in a straight line while an enemy is on your six you tend to die.
Honestly, the fact that it took the TIE pilot that long for the kill should be enough to make him want to strangle himself with his O2 hose.

shit, gotta bite.

>1-star:
Y-Wing or ARC-170 or Happan Fighter
>2-star:
well, X-wing or A-wing, i'm easy
>3-star:
A-Wing Kai
>4-star:
Star Viper Kai or Tie Defender Kai
>5-star:
A-wing Kai Ni Saikyo, with the best custom shit ever and even better engines. sorry,
had to do it. (and, i'm not OP)

afterthought: are Fighters ships? or just carrier ammo?

ships only:
>1-star:
Blockade Runner
>2-star:
Lancer Frigate
>3-star:
Venator Class Star Destroyer (mai shipfu, but she can't be a 5)
>4-star:
Venator Class Star Destroyer Kai Ni
>5-star:
Interdictor w Chiss Crew custom

Maybe we do the Armada route, and even if you roll an individual fighter, on the tactical level they represent squadrons?

And then of course, [Squadrons] can have a trait keyword, so Interceptors and Lancer Frigate-tan can be strong against snubfighters, Bombers and other ordnance movers can be strong against [Capital], etc.

But we already have our mobile game star wars waifubait.

I want to punch Rian Johnson in the face for ruining my delusions that it was all Abrams fault

I've been eyeing Armada for an age but the slim offering and high price means i've held off.

Is the core set worth 70usd?

Pff more A-Wings is rad

This. Those A-Wing pilots need to learn how to push it to the limit properly.

Just about. You'll need to buy a lot of expansions before you get up to 400pts aside though sadly. Half of which will be Transports and Gozantis.
I really wish this game had Battletech style activations sometimes.

Spiked epaulettes for everyone!

no

I haven't been paying attention and just noticed that the assault gunboat finally got announced for X-Wing a couple weeks ago. Did people shit their pants over that?

>I bid you Dark Greetings! Let's get this Mofference underway!

Yes. Quite a lot, actually.
There was a lot of Slamming and Jamming to be had.

It has a SLAM and can use a JAM fuction. You do the math.

>imps Interceptor Simulator nerfing A-wings

TRIGGERED

I just noticed that it has SLAM. I guess they decided to kind of combine the gunboat and the missile boat which is a little bit unfortunate since it suggests the latter will never come, but at this point I thought we'd never get either so I'm still happy. And it renews my hope for a YT2000 in the future.

Pretty sure Shapeways has missile boat models anyway, so...

Sadly, the same material as Imperial Assault minis.
How much factions do you think there will be? IT will be Rebels, Empire and Scum. We just can hope for subfactions, that´s it.

We can only hope.

No CIS, no sale.
Yes, I know people are trying to forget the prequels ever existed, but I want my droidekas, dammit.

Seems like they'll be titles for the same platform if the blurry double cannon title is anything to go by. That might be cool.

Same for me. I've never played any miniature games except for X-wing and I am interested in getting into it, but if Legion ends as another Rebels vs Empire vs overpowered Scum, I'm gonna try some historical wargames instead.

No clones, no monies.

Yeah, another fat pwt corelian freighter outmanoeuvring fighters is exactly what this game needs.

It wouldn't make sense lore-wise, but I'd love to take Prequel era factions into battle against OT factions. Clones against Stormtroopers, Clones or CIS against Rebs, CIS against SCUM.

On the other hand Luke and his Rebel band fighting Luuke and his Reebel band make so much sense.

Or like in muh GCW exclusive X-wing Poe Dameron fighting side to side with Biggs who died before his parents met against Asajj Ventress who didn't survive the Clone Wars.

Why is Ventress in the game anyway? Aside from the new trilogy stuff (which they're pretty much contractually obliged to include), all the stuff we have in X-Wing is GCW-era. The only real exception is the ARC-170, and even that is supposed to be a Rebel refit, with all the pilots being Legends Rebel pilots. Some characters that appeared in CW-era material are in the game, but I thought all of those were the ones that also appeared in Rebels, which is GCW-era.

>all ARC-170 pilots are Legends
>two are the mothers of nucanon pilots
????

>which they're pretty much contractually obliged to include

lolno

they are shekelly obliged to include shit that will ride the wave of the movie marketing and make them money

K-wing is debatably GCW, as it was created 16ABY

there are some other characters exclusive to TCW: Latts Razi, Moralo Eval, Cad Bane, although they haven't explicitly died on the show (Cad Bane might have died in the unreleased epiosdes)

and obliged or not, it's not GCW game anymore, so there is nothing stopping them from adding CW fractions

>I know people are trying to forget the prequels ever existed
so much that one of the main characters of the new books was a B1 battle droid, who is basically HK-47 meets jack the ripper, and Disney actively uses one as another main character of one of their kids shows.

To be fair, Mr Bones was fucking awful and the worst part of the Aftermath triology.

never read the book, just heard about it and said "oh thats neat I guess"

I know people who would play one for an edge of the empire game, but I don't think the RPG's at that level matter much as far as the franchise is concerned.

Look, I liked the Aftermath triology (well, Lifedebt and Empire's End, really), but Mr Bones was the worst part of it by a long shot. When he finally got blown up for good I cheered a little.

Plus it's overly derivative and ugly, and the Azzameens are incredibly overrated characters.

This. If we're gonna get a protagonist from a Star Wars video game, where's my Rookie 1 and Ru Murleen at?

Aftermath is a trilogy now?
Please tell me Wendig's contract is up and Disney will never touch him again.

Oh wait, here they are.

For the sake of padding, there could be multiple tiers for each starfighter to represent the XWM/Armada hierarchy of generics to aces. If we take a page out of the DBZ mobile gacha game, certain starfighters could also have multiple promotions that increase tier, level cap, and stat cap. For instance:
>1-star
Generic T-65, no promotions and/or used to "craft" ace X-wings
>2-star
Red 2, promotes into:
>3-star
Red Leader (Endor), promotes into:
>4-star
Rogue Leader (Bacta War), promotes into:
>5-star
General Antilles (Red Flight) or Lieutenant Kettch

It's actually pretty good. The first one was garbage because it was rushed like crazy, the other two books are a fine read.

Believe it or not, from the second book on they are genuinely enjoyable.
Admittedly, I only made it through the first one with an audiobook version. Present-tense fiction? Bleh.

What do you do, when your rebel PCs are acting overly cruel and antagonistic?
ruins the rebel feel for me.

Park a star destroyer over the city they've been working in.
Have it land during one of their missions

Surely they are some rules and breaking them can get you courtmartialed.

Does the Alliance have a military police?

Wouldn't they have gone after Saw Gurerrererererrr if that was the case?

Didn't Saw leave the alliance? He probably knew it was coming if he stayed.

I suppose it's also possible that they DIDN'T have a military police until after Saw, when they realised they probably needed one.

Problem is with the pilot, not the A-Wing.
Put someone halfway decent behind the controls and you'll need good luck just hitting it's afterimage.

Combat keeps being decided mostly by who gets initiative first.

If the players go first, they heavily wound or outright one-shot enemy ships.

If the enemies go first, they cripple the PCs and I have to pull punches for the rest of the encounter to avoid a TPK.

Maybe there's something in combat we're doing wrong, but it's so lethal that going first decides the outcome, and neither my PCs nor most NPCs have stats/skills to make their initiative rolls more than mostly just random.

What should I do?

I'm also having a hard time encouraging the party to do more than sit in cover and trade shots, although now that I think about it, I haven't been having the enemies do that either, I guess. Although bad guys tend to have shit for skills.

We're running Long Arm of the Hutt after finishing Escape from Mos Shuuta and just got to New Meen, but we're using the full rulebook and made our own characters.

Not entirely. Didn't Rebels production notes mention somewhere that the TV show's A-wings are cheap, old, and shitty monkey models? IIRC, the description by Filoni's team made it explicit that the show's As were not the untouchable Event Horizon-toting speed demons of Legends.

If ire call correctly Mon Mothma pretty much kicked Saw out from the Rebel Alliance due to his cruel tactics

FFG space combat is terrible, yes

Well, if it's more of that board game plastic, FFG just saved me a few hundred dollars. It's fine for a dungeon crawler with a skirmish mode Imperial Assault, but not for a game that is hypothetically a real miniatures wargame (even if the battles are of a skirmish size), where I'll want to learn to build terrain, as well. At a bare minimum, I want hard plastic like in the newer Warmahordes stuff (I've never worked with GW models to be familiar with their materials).

And maybe it will be the board game plastic. But people who played the demo at Gen Con weren't playing with production miniatures, and they weren't playing with the same plastic as IA, no matter what they tell you. They were playing with 3D-printed figures. If they had the molds made and in production, we wouldn't be waiting until "early 2018" (more like June, if FFG's history is anything to go by) to see the finished product.

As for factions, they're wasting a huge opportunity if they only ever do Galactic Civil War/sequel trilogy. The Clone Wars alone are a gold mine of material for a wargame. I personally really want to field an army of CIS scum: B1 and B2 droids as basic soldiers, BX commandos in the special forces slot, an AAT for my heavy, droidekas for support figures, with Dooku, Grievous, and Ventress as options for commanders. Then there are all the other factions from Star Wars history, whether legends or canon.

I guess my point is, there is a lot of potential for Legion, which also means a lot of opportunities for wasted potential. We won't know which it is for a while.

So, apart of the MonCal SD and the new super imperial ship and freudian nightmare, any other cool spaceship than we know?

I don't think the Rebels have enough resources in general to have a military police. Anyone that's trouble they just keep away from themselves and their movement.

By extension, maybe set up a plotline where your PCs start getting closer to a rogue outside group like Saw's, to the dismay of Rebel command.

Where is the best place to buy the original X-Wing core set and a Y-Wing?

The past.

are you sure you are doing initiative right? player and NPC slots should usually be interspersed through the turn order, unless the players all roll really well or really shitty.

It'd be nice if they brought that up during the show...

Yeah they never mention it ever.
Only place ive ever even really seen it said is here.

If that was the case why even use Awings when we already have headhunter to fulfill the role of a shitty Xwing predecessor?

Filoni's team allegedly thought As and Bs didn't get enough love in the OT, so they decided to give them a little bit more screen time in the show.

So is anyone else royally pissed that they decided to magically bump the scale to some bullshit level for Legion so they can just sell us the same Imperial Assault minis again?

I mean fuck dude, you could have just dropped some rules and new models for the wargame scale/feel.

With 32mm they'll fucking NEVER have ATATs and all that cool shit.

>NEVER
Not officially. But only a fool with no imagination would let the official rules limit him.
That's the beauty of tabletop gaming, lad. The rules as written are the starting point. Not the finish line.

If As never got enough love, then he sure as fuck has a weird way of showing love to them since all they do is die in droves and handle like complete garbage. Zs would have made way more sense