P1P1 Unpowered 360 cube

P1P1 Unpowered 360 cube.

Other urls found in this thread:

cubetutor.com/viewcube/74707
cubetutor.com/viewcube/53970
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I like all of these cards. What's your point?

I think I'd pick Talrand. An instant/sorcery heavy deck seems like it could be fun to draft.

Shackles because I'm a shitty human being.

Master of the Wild Hunt or Talrand are my first choices, I think, but I'm not sure if Drana should be up there with them as well.

courser cause big green ramp

Are the people in this thread trolling?

can we get a link to the cube list?

otherwise this cube seems pretty creature centered given its unpowered nature and id go with shackles.

As the first guy to pick Talrand, I am not trolling but I will admit I've only drafted a cube once before.

Drana or Courser of Kruphix

I don't see a world where hymn isn't the pick

Courser, because a big butt that smooths out draws and gives life is fantastic in draft. Talrand is also a great choice.

Shackles is clearly the pick and then you force monoblue. When you have shackles out, your opponents pretty much can't win unless they drafted storm or something weird like that.

hymn is an amazing card but it forces us into heavy black in p1p1(not a great archetype in cube)

I can only assume that the people who want Talrand and courser dont play much cube, its not typical limited format where you can durdle out value over multiple turns, a 360 cube can easily produce decks more powerful than the average standard/modern deck, albeit with 40 cards rather than 60.

What's P1P1? Also, how do you get people to play cube? Everyone I know says it sounds boring and refuses to try, and I'd rather not deal with the assholes at the LGS.

The only real cards in this pack are shackles, the elf, the fetch, bolt and Armageddon, what you pick really depends on what you want to play.

bolt is in the pack

bolt skews this whole fucking pack i swear

>P1P1

Pack one pick one, as in a draft has just started and this is what you see in your first pack.

>Also, how do you get people to play cube?
??? Just own one?

>Everyone I know says it sounds boring and refuses to try
Get better friends, those sound like they don't play Magic. Cube is the king of limited formats.

>Everyone I know says it sounds boring and refuses to try
they are enormous faggots, cube is the only form of magic i still play since it not a massive money sink and leads to a different set of games every time you bust it out to to mention you can create your own environment that is fully tailored to what you and your drafters like to play.

Mulldrifter is obscenely good.

cubetutor.com/viewcube/74707

>what you pick really depends on what you want to play.

This is why cube is good, you can actually pick directions based on what you like instead of having to follow whatever few playable cards you get.

They play Magic, but they all only play Commander. One of them even says that Commander is the only good form of Magic because "only having one of each card makes it unpredictable". I'd ask around at the LGS if the Magic players there weren't all elitists that refuse to acknowledge that people who won't buy into modern can play the game, or elitists who refuse to acknowledge that people under 30 can play the game. What's a good start to building a cube?

This looks quite nice. Generic, but nice.

Not knowing the themes or archetypes in the cube, windmill Shackles.

Holy shit TG really doesnt know how to play magic my god

Isn't cube the "build your own limited format" format? Is it inevitable that cubes be that fast? I was sort of fooling around with the idea of making my own cube and I like the semi-durdley-ness of limited sometimes.

its a great card but if i was going to take blue card it would be shackles.

it looks like you want black aggro to be a thing but dont really give it the support that it needs, mainly in the form of more 1 drops.

I also get the feeling that green is the strongest color in your cube and that white(or aggro in general) may needs some help.

are you going to make a pick OP?

Armageddon, hoping for drifter wheel. I love ermageddon type decks. Hymn costs double black, making it hard as a first pick as it locks me in.

Verdant Catacombs is the easiest first pick. Bolt and mulldrifter are honorable mentions, depends on whats in the rest of the cube.

Bigger cubes can be pretty durdly but 360 is generally the smallest cube size since its just big enough to support 8 drafters and since it has such a small amount of cards they are brutally efficient since no limited filler can make it in.

>8 drafters
You know that many tolerable people who play Magic?

>What's a good start to building a cube?

First learn the format's idea. Watch videos of people drafting cube, read forums where people talk about cube, until you're pretty sure you know what it's all about.

Secondly, plan your cube. Use CubeTutor, it helps a ton. Try not to buy cards yet, any extra card you buy that doesn't end up going in your cube is wasted money. If you have a proper collection already, take it into account when planning the cube and make use of cards you already own.

Finally, buy the cards you require as singles from wherever. Prepare to have to spend a lot, especially if you don't have a collection as a headstart. Console yourself with the fact that once it's bought, you can draft forever from it. Buy some kind of a container for it (a simple plastic or even cardboard box is enough) and sleeves. Pre-sleeve everything, including the basic lands, this saves time during deckbuilding.

Bonus round: Actually play the cube, draft it, tinker with it.

nope, I play 4 people(5 packs of 9) then we do a second draft using the other half of the cube it adds a neat sub gasme knowing what cards can appear and what cards cant in the second draft.

I have 2 people I could play with maybe once a week, and 2 more people I could play with maybe once every other month. What size of cube would be good for that?

I'd still go with 360, less than that it just becomes so hard to decide what cards get in.

>Isn't cube the "build your own limited format" format?
Yes.

>Is it inevitable that cubes be that fast?
Not really, but 90% of cubes tend to follow the "box of strongest ever limited cards" format, which does lead to pretty damn high power level overall. Luis Scott-Vargas described Cube as "draft, except you draft a constructed deck". That kind of gives the idea.

There's nothing inherently forcing you to make your cube like that though, other than that it's often what people assume and expect when they heard the word "cube".

Can't you make room for the limited filler and a slower format by taking out the hyper-efficient stuff? I was going to make my cube "peasant" (commons/uncommons only) for reasons of price and some degree of a power downgrade while still having the interesting synergy pieces they print at uncommon.

Are multiples or singleton usually better?

you can just make sure there is not a hube difference in power between the strongest and weakest cards in your cube, no one wants to play storm crow while the opponent is casting lighting bolts.

Making it singleton means more variety in possible decks, so that's usually the way to go unless you're going for a gimmick (like the Desert cube with its 21 Kindles).

Homelands cube all the way!

almost all cubes are singleton, unless you are trying to emulate a specific limited format, an Innistrad cube for example.

Seconding this. Aiming for a flat power level is the best (and the fact that it works so well disproves MaRo's excuses that they have to print shit cards to keep draft in balance). In a normal draft you scrounge for playables and just hope to get enough cards that do something. In a cube every card should be playable, so that even your 13th pick is still something good.

I bet you could put a pretty good gimmick cube together out of all these "worst ever" sets. Homelands, Prophecy, Born of the Gods...

Shackles, and most likely wheeling Supreme Will at least.

I was assuming OP was going to make a pick based on Veeky Forumss opinions and we would build a cube deck as a collective, oh well.

Or trying to recreate the feel of a specific constrcuted format or otherwise have a specific idea in mind for how playing with the Cube should work. I have, for example, heard of people who did not like how some cards traditionally found in most Cubes, such as ABU duals and Strip Mine, have no downside, and who also wanted the decision to fetch for Shocland and Wastelanding your opponent's nonbasics to play a larger role in more games, so they replaced the lands in their Cube with like 2 of each Fetch- and Sockland and 4 Wastelands.

The hardest part about going with multiples, I imagine, is knowing when to stop. It's, for example, not advisable that you replace all your aggressive red 1-drops with Goblin Guide just because he's the best aggressive red 1-drop.

let's try with my cube

Cryptic Command
I love options and control.

Tarn, not close, fetches are great p1p1 since the eearlier you pick them the more choices they open up.

here is the cube we are working with
cubetutor.com/viewcube/53970

ignore file names from here on

watery grave, this cryptic wont cast itself.

I'd probably go Watery Grave, so I can feel comfortable about casting Cryptic while still having wiggle room to splash

sorry i guess i shouldve waited for more opinions

Not quite sure. Faerie Trickery might be a good option, but Grave Titan could give us a finisher. I'm leaning towards Grave Titan.

grave titan is one of the better control finishers in the cube

Volcanic island, lands win drafts.

i think this is the smart pick, other option is grave titan

Volcanic. Being able to pick up splashable cards later is more valuable than a pretty replacable finisher this early.

Cryptek hoping to wheel Ojutai for uw midrange.

Nice nonon

Firebolt.

dual land.

Faithless Looting or Wretched Confluence

Feels weak for us. Confluence or Firebolt, I guess. Leaning towards Firebolt.

2 votes for confluence, 2 for firebolt

Count me as a vote for Firebolt then.

strix

Flame Slash. Looks like we're going Counterburn here.

Strix, it's the best card and nothing in the pack is great.

Research.

Research or Swiftspear

Swift

Zarek or anger

Dack attack

Dack Fayden

Dack Fayden.

Duck Faygo

just to clarify im doing first to 2 votes

Mesa.

Mesa

Lets use the watery grave we got and take blast

In our likely, hopefully, counterspell-heavy deck?

seems pretty unreasonable that we wheeled tarn doesnt it? i am generally happy with cubetutor ai but oh well

Tarn or recoil

Scalding Tarn, of course

Tarn.

Kari Zev. There's still a chance we end up with a more tempo-based strategy.

Garrison

Make /pol/ proud and get Garrison

Kari. Might need an early threat in some matches.

i actually missed this post my apologies, just saw the post after

What happened to first to two? Garrison got first